PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of war failing to load

Outlaw289
19-09-2005, 22:17
I downloaded the 1.4 patch for dawn of war the other day. For some reason it made my game get all nuts, so I uninstalled it. I then re-installed, patched it up to 1.3, turned on antialiasing in the local.ini, and went to play a skirmish game. It loaded up about 3/4 throught the loading phase for the skirmish game, then crashed to desktop and asked if I wanted to send an error report.

I then went into the local.ini, turned off antialiasing, and tried again. Same problem. I've tried about 10 times and it keeps crashing. What should I do? Uninstall/reinstall? I dont care about being patched up to 1.4, as I only play skirmish

Zark the Damned
19-09-2005, 22:47
I heard that 1.4 doesn't uninstall properly, so if you try to downgrade it'll still screw things up, something to do with the registry.

If you have a restore point from before installing 1.4, try that.

Outlaw289
20-09-2005, 01:09
Didn't work. Now I cant even reinstall it, even though every file related to it has been deleted

Zark the Damned
20-09-2005, 08:53
Deleting the files wont be enough - it'll have left something in the registry.

fredmundo
20-09-2005, 08:55
you'll need to purge your registry of any references to Dawn of War, that could be a very time consuming thing to do.. I'd probably just back up anything i need from my installation and then format your windows partition and start again.... If you really don't want to do that them I'd suggest seeing if the Dawn of War support guys can supply you alist of registry entries that you can manually delete.. alternatively you can search for all references for things like THQ, and file paths to where you installed it, but you may not find all the keys you need that way...

philbrad2
22-09-2005, 10:41
Go into REGEDIT (I assume your a WIndows user) Look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, then SOFTWARE, THQ delete the DAWN OF WAR entries here, reboot and try reinstall. If you can get the installer to start I'd specific a new install folder too rather than the default.

Happy hunting.

(Just installing WINTER ASSAULT BTW :evilgrin: )

:chrome:

Outlaw289
22-09-2005, 21:11
Go into REGEDIT (I assume your a WIndows user) Look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, then SOFTWARE, THQ delete the DAWN OF WAR entries here, reboot and try reinstall. If you can get the installer to start I'd specific a new install folder too rather than the default.

Happy hunting.

(Just installing WINTER ASSAULT BTW :evilgrin: )

:chrome:

It lets me install, but it says there is a problem when I install. Something about the installation source for this product is not available, and I need to verify if I can access it. DawnofWar.msi

fredmundo
23-09-2005, 13:12
that's not so hard, the file will probably be in the root of the install folder on the CD/DVD, unless it's still searching the registry and looking for it to uninstall in the location that you had it installed to previously. If it gives you teh option to pointit somewhere then I'd point it at the file on the disc, if not try copying the file from the disc to the location you had it installed.
Or it could be something as simple as a scratched/dirty disc...