PDA

View Full Version : New Forgeworld Newsletter-Termie Shoulder Pads

t-tauri
15-04-2005, 19:25
Rhinoxen Cavalry
We first showed this beast in Newsletter #115 and since then people have been harassing us constantly, wanting to know when it will be released, how much it will be etc! Well today you find out. We have two variants of the Ogre Rhinox Cavalry going up for pre-order today and these things are huge! These are certainly not the immature Rhinoxen seen pulling Gnoblar Scraplaunchers into battle, these are full grown beasts of destruction none too happy at being cowed to an Ogres whim. Rules for these are currently being worked on by Phil Kelly in the Games Dev section of the Design Studio and we hope to have experimental rules up on our website very soon. It doesn’t end there though, Daniel Cockersell is working on a third model as I type, a Champion figure to lead the Ogre Cavalry to victory. We hope to have him up for pre-order soon. The link below will take you to some close up pictures of the new Rhinoxen. To see a painted version please follow the link from our online store.

Link:Click here to see the unpainted Rhinoxen (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/rhinoxc.htm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crashed Land Speeder Tempest
Continuing our range of destroyed vehicle terrain for 40K, (lets face it there’s not much better for scenery than a wrecked vehicle, especially if your opponent uses that vehicle), we have a Space Marine Land Speeder Tempest. From the damage down one side it’s clear it’s taken some serious anti-vehicle fire and from the way it’s partially buried, it certainly didn’t come down straight and gentle.

Link: Click here to see pictures of the Tempest (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/crashtemp.htm)
Wrecked Tau Piranha
It does seem the destroyed vehicle range has been a little one sided so far, so to balance this we have the first destroyed alien vehicle. A Tau Piranha which has taken what looks like melta weapon damage, obviously enough to knock it out of the air if not to completely destroy it. Aside from being a nice little piece of scenery, this particular model would also make a good alternative objective for a Hostage Situation mission, rather than rescuing an Ethereal from an escape capsule, you have to retrieve valuable information from the Piranha’s computer.

Link: Click here to see pictures of the Piranha (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/crashpir.htm)

Upcoming Releases
Chimera Spaced Armour Chapter Specific Terminator Shoulder Pads Mukaali (3 Different Trooper Variants and a Commander) Tallarn Heavy Weapon Crews Tigershark with Railguns A Special Character Tau Battlesuit Ork Battlewagons for Epic Tau Transports for BFG

Best news for me is the Chapter Specific Termie pads-roll on the Space Wolves.

boogle
15-04-2005, 19:38
interesting newsletter, wonder when it'll turn up in my inbox?

alterion
15-04-2005, 21:21
me too it hasnt; shown in mine either yet

de Selby
15-04-2005, 21:27
Bit dubious about the crashed vehicles. They look like... crashed vehicles... which is fine. But if I want to buy a wreck for terrain, I'll get a GW plastic kit and have fun wrecking it myself (maybe I'll cut it in half and make two wrecks), as this is presumably cheaper than paying forgeworld to do it for me.

In other words, even if I had the money I wouldn't buy the forgeworld wreck, so I wonder how many they'll sell?

PS. I know those particular vehicles aren't available as GW plastic kits, but what does it matter?

alterion
15-04-2005, 22:46
i would not buy a gw kit wreck but i think a wreck like the valkirie is a good idea as the valkirie costs too much to wreck individually.. ;)

Puffin Magician
16-04-2005, 00:06
It's too bad the upcoming previews are more exciting than a pair of smashed up skimmers. I don't bother with anything Fantasy so I haven't even looked at the Ogre what's-it.

The crashed stuff is no doubt nice, but I fully agree with other's comments... why spend so much on something that just sits there and looks pretty during a game, and still needs to be cleaned and well-painted just as much as a functional model. Totally not worth the [or any] price, IMO. Scratchbuild stuff like that, because if you screw up, it's simply "battle damage".

Definitely looking forward to the Tau Battlesuit and Whiteshark Strike Craft [Tigershark hull w/ Linked Railguns].

autogarybot
16-04-2005, 00:15
i spoke with will hayes at LA gamesday a little about the rhinoxes... showed me (with his hands) about how big the things are. seems like they're going to be great models. i'm also hoping for the chapter specific termie pads in the chaos flavors... that'd be awesome, and make converting the imperial ones a lot easier.

athamas
16-04-2005, 00:23
they look great.. hardest cavalry in the game i expect!

inquisitorautry
16-04-2005, 00:25
I just wonder what all chapters will get the chapter specific termie shoulder pads first, or if all the ones they make icons and such for will be out at the same time. As long as the IH ones come out in a timely fashion I'll be happy, and slightly poorer.

lostitgotit72
16-04-2005, 07:48
interesting newsletter, wonder when it'll turn up in my inbox?

It gets like that unfortunatly...atleast I got my catalouge thingy :)

Anyway, I love the Orgre cavalry, it looks like it could gore out a Deamon :D

as for the speeders, I belice they buried both of them to deep, but thats just me.

Space wolf termie pads!!!!! YAY!! :D

sigur
16-04-2005, 08:31
I always liked the chapter-specific Termie minis like feathers on Deathwing and pelts and necklaces on the SW Termies. I'd like to see Forgeworld do some small additions to glue on because It would be a shame if they dropped these characterful aditions to them.

panda
16-04-2005, 09:19
That's exactly what I was thinking about the wolves.... It takes more than just the pads to make a Wolf Guard. Same thing with Iron Hands...anyone else thinking sweet bionic bits?

t-tauri
16-04-2005, 09:50
A few extra heads and chest plates wouldn't go amiss.

Hymirl
16-04-2005, 21:47
Yet more crashed vehicles that probably will cost more than complete ones.. I wonder how many they won't sell. As a (slightly cynic) aside I don't know of anyone that's bought a complete tempest due to it being horrendously expensive for what you get.

On an upnote I wonder what the new tallarn stuff will be like, and extra armour for chimeras sounds like another of the more practical items. Depends if its worth the money over converting it myself though.
Hymirl.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
16-04-2005, 22:38
That's exactly what I was thinking about the wolves.... It takes more than just the pads to make a Wolf Guard. Same thing with Iron Hands...anyone else thinking sweet bionic bits?

Its not really a problem with the Space Wolves, as there is loads of bits that can be added to the Terminators from the Space Wolves accessory sprue. There are pics of some SW Terminators in the new Space Marine painting guide which have been done using bits from the SW sprue.

Rob

boogle
16-04-2005, 22:58
not really a problem with the IH either as the Powered Armours Bionics could be easily transplanted to the Termies

Marsekay
17-04-2005, 00:36
Those forge world guys must be getting lazy...
"Hmm i have 3 days to make a prototype model, i forgot all about it! ahh well i will just make another wrecked speeder, devilfish,falcon etc etc etc
These wrecks, to me are the biggest waste of cash out there for all the reasons above.
Soon there will be a 300 wrecked thunderhawk.

grizzly ruin
17-04-2005, 01:48
Considering the wrecks a waste of cash is silly.

Forgeworld is not the main producer of models for any of the ranges.

Forgeworld makes models for the enthusiast (read: someone who has money to spend, and does).

So yes, you can't buy the wrecked vehicles if your job at the school library pays you just enough to buy a cheeseburger every 3 days.

I think the Rhinoxen are great, I think the the fur and the snarls are my favorite bits.

Marsekay
17-04-2005, 01:58
Just because you can afford something does not make something less of a waste of cash ;)

lostitgotit72
17-04-2005, 03:11
Yeah, for SW atleast, you can get the pelts, tails ect and put them on, it only takes that and a SW color scheme to make them 'look' like space wolves to your opponent. The shoulder pads will only add to that, but they will make them stand out more.

I hope that they make tham look as good as they made the door sets and and stuff, I don't want to be looking forward to the Crux Termiatus with a wolf skull instead of a normal skull..........

heldane
17-04-2005, 03:31
I myself shall probably buy a couple of the crashed tau vehicles - I already have 2 of the tetras on the way and I think it'll be tres cool to be able to put a destroyed version of them on the battlefiend when my luck turns sour.

Also, most of the crashed vehicles are cheaper than the 'pristine' versions.

Cheers

Dan

Nazguire
17-04-2005, 04:01
Yeah, for SW atleast, you can get the pelts, tails ect and put them on, it only takes that and a SW color scheme to make them 'look' like space wolves to your opponent. The shoulder pads will only add to that, but they will make them stand out more.

I hope that they make tham look as good as they made the door sets and and stuff, I don't want to be looking forward to the Crux Termiatus with a wolf skull instead of a normal skull..........

Aye, I agree, the Space Wolves should get the best of the best...being the best Chapter ;) :D

Maybe different Great Company doors and shoulder pads etc would be good?

panda
17-04-2005, 04:42
I admit that there's a lot of Wolfy goodness on the SW sprue, but I'm talking about all of the little incidental stuff that makes a good wolf model, like the runes on chains, little baggies of stuff, wolficised weapons etc (and I LIKE the Crux with a wolf skull! ;) ). And the IH stuff like a full bionic termy leg, highly modified plates of armour etc would be good for those too poor at (or lazy) conversions to have.

grizzly ruin
17-04-2005, 05:08
Just because you can afford something does not make something less of a waste of cash ;)

That could be said for the entirety of the hobby.

:p

Cypher
17-04-2005, 10:58
Wondering what the timeframe is on these shoulder pads? I've got two boxes of Terminators in the mail, and I dont want to wait six months to be able to complete them...

boogle
17-04-2005, 11:13
i would guess as they have been mentioned as 'next' we should see them in the next newsletter, which should mean the 1st batch (most likely 2-3 chapters worth - Avenging Sons, Raptors and A.N.Other most likely), for release in 3-4 weeks beyond the newsletter, and so on until they are all done, lets say a 2-3 month release shedule, which will lead nicely alongside the Tallarns to the summer where we will see the Taros Campaign booklet

t-tauri
17-04-2005, 13:37
I'd put good money that the first batch will be Ultras, Space Wolves, Dark and Blood Angels with other chapters to follow in the order they got rhino doors. They know their market. The Raptors and Avenging Sons will follow IA3 as then people will be building those armies.

the_yuk
17-04-2005, 13:50
Im was very interested in the spaced armour for the chimeras which it said are comeing soon. Might give the chimera a bit of a remake, and cool new look. Also what happened to the rest of the EDT release that were supposed to be comeing out???

boogle
17-04-2005, 13:58
I'd put good money that the first batch will be Ultras, Space Wolves, Dark and Blood Angels with other chapters to follow in the order they got rhino doors. They know their market. The Raptors and Avenging Sons will follow IA3 as then people will be building those armies.
my rationale was they have just started releasing the Raptors stuff, what better time to release the rest of the Raptors/Avenging Sons stuff?

Cypher
17-04-2005, 15:55
Id expect Ultramarines to get priority treatment, as well as probably a generic set of shoulder pads with some cool iconography. Im also hopeful for some other bits: a chest plate or two with chapter icons, maybe the odd weapon or helmet. Stuff like that.

Flame Boy
17-04-2005, 19:48
I liked the Melta weapon damage to the flank of the Tetra. It looks quite cool, but I wouldn't know whether to paint it blackened or metal colour... I'm not exactly sure what happens to metal when you fire a Martian heat ray at it... :p

Cypher
17-04-2005, 21:36
It would melt. The blackening around weapon hits is carbon burning, but Id assume that a melta gun would be so hot the carbon would simply become nothing.

More of an issue is what does Tau metal look like ;)

Wintermute
17-04-2005, 21:57
More of an issue is what does Tau metal look like ;)

Assuming the Tau make vehicles using metal that is :D

panda
17-04-2005, 22:27
Ceramic? Plastic? Cheese?

lostitgotit72
18-04-2005, 07:02
Aye, I agree, the Space Wolves should get the best of the best...being the best Chapter ;) :D

Maybe different Great Company doors and shoulder pads etc would be good?

Not soon, maybe at the release of the SW (in the three years it's going to take to come out......) I wouldn't mind seeing that though, they would, of course find some way to charge double for them...

Cypher
18-04-2005, 18:35
Well technically the Imperium doesnt use metal either, although Im not exactly sure what "plasteel" would be ;)

inquisitorautry
19-04-2005, 01:12
Well technically the Imperium doesnt use metal either, although Im not exactly sure what "plasteel" would be ;)

Generic sci-fi combination of plastic and steel.

Lion El Jason
19-04-2005, 12:34
As a (slightly cynic) aside I don't know of anyone that's bought a complete tempest due to it being horrendously expensive for what you get.

I got one. 28 for a landspeeder is very poor. 125 points for said Land Speeder is worse IMO. Luckily, FW messed up my order and sent me 2 of them so the issue wasn't too bad. I still hardly ever use them though...maybe if they were half the points they'd be worth it? As is I'd rather have a multi melta speeder AND a Heavy Bolter Speeder for the same points...

Lots of people do buy the crashed vehicles. My club for one has a large university grant that we use to buy scenery and we're thinking of doing a crashed vehicle filled table at some point...

Cypher
19-04-2005, 12:40
Damn, I wish I got money from my Univesity to buy stuff to play 40k. Best I've ever gotten out of them was a free diary and some oreos at the start of the year :(

worldshatterer
19-04-2005, 12:43
I thought we were just gonna take hammers to some badly painted stuff from archeron?

Lion El Jason
19-04-2005, 12:57
Update:
There are to be no Deathwing or Wolfguard bits.
They say theres much more to these models that just shoulder pads so they're waiting to see what citadel is going to put out for them.

Raptors and Avenging Sons first then maybe a set for UMs and BAs.

Also theres going to be one left hand pad for SGTs.
No plans for Chaos pads.

worldshatterer: Can't we do both?

panda
19-04-2005, 14:02
In a way I'm glad that they're not going to do a set for Deathwing or 'Guard. This means that they probably will do a set in plastic...ie a helluva lot cheaper than Forgeworld!

Cypher
19-04-2005, 21:23
Makes sense given that both DA and SW are quite Terminator-heavy.

But why Raptors and Avenging Sons (who?) first? Doesnt make a whole lot of sense sales-wise.

Sephiroth
20-04-2005, 00:22
But why Raptors and Avenging Sons (who?) first? Doesnt make a whole lot of sense sales-wise.

Because their the Space Marine forces for FW's Taros Campaign book coming up.
;)

boogle
20-04-2005, 10:51
yep, to boost the sales and likelehood of these armies showing up on the gaming tables

charlie_c67
20-04-2005, 11:30
Shame they're not producing Raptor marine bits too.

boogle
20-04-2005, 12:13
i would guess that shoulder pads may be on the table

charlie_c67
20-04-2005, 12:30
You'd hope so wouldn't you? Who are the avenging sons anyway?

Cypher
20-04-2005, 14:24
Because their the Space Marine forces for FW's Taros Campaign book coming up.
;)
Ah that makes a lot of sense. Is there any word when the Taros book will be released? At least FW have the intelligence to release the models for a campaign book before the book itself is released, to allow players to actually collect armies in anticipation.