PDA

View Full Version : Which would you take in 2000 and why (lizardmen)

Malorian
21-12-2007, 18:54
1) 2nd gen slann and 1 unit of salamanders

2) 4th gen slan and 2 units of salamanders

3) 3 skink priests and 2 units of salamanders

Mordante
21-12-2007, 19:08
Given the choices, I'd take the 2nd Gen Slann and 1 unit of sallies. 2 units of 3 sallies is never acceptable. You will make no friends playing a list with 2 units of 3 sallies. I would also always take at least 1 priest with your slann, just for LOS reasons. And stick him in a unit of temple guard.

happy_doctor
21-12-2007, 20:39
I agree, 2 units of 3 salamanders is too competitive in my book.

So, we're left with these choices: Either take two units comprising of 2 salamanders each and a Slann 4th gen (+ priest) or go for the 2nd Gen. Slann plus a single triad of salamanders.

A 2nd gen slann makes for a really powerful magic phase, but lose him and you lose the battle. It's not considered really friendly where I come from, either. 4th generation and a priest will give you plenty of magic without being a huge investment. The extra rare slot is nice, too.

So, to wrap it up, i think the 2nd choice is best as far as competitiveness is concerned (just take a look at the GT heat statistics..some of the top armies had a 4th gen. slann and 2 packs of salamanders).

TheMav80
22-12-2007, 02:17
If you are going to take i slaan i usually go all out with 2nd gen.

If you don't want the Slaan, then you really only need 2 Skink Priests for magic defense. I, personally, greatly dislike the Lore of Heavens. So keep your priests level 1. Give one two scrolls, and the other cube of darkness. That should give you a decent enough magic defense. You could also give give a character or unit the Tepok spawning to beef it up a little more.

Flypaper
22-12-2007, 10:09
2 units of 3 sallies is never acceptable. You will make no friends playing a list with 2 units of 3 sallies.To put it another way, since this is the tactics forum, two units of Sallies are outright the superior choice. They're broken, does it show? :p

The question as to whether or not you want to take a Slann doesn't really relate to your Salamander selection - it depends on what else you're running in the army. If you've got a highly mobile force, take the Skinks. If you're running static dudes (i.e. Saurus), then nab the Slann.

You can play a Slann in a mobile army, but it takes a fair amount of experience in knowing how to protect him and get full use out of him at the same time.

Malorian
24-12-2007, 15:33
Flypaper: the 2nd gen slann counts as a lord and a rare choice, so it does matter.

Ahrimanator
24-12-2007, 16:33
Take Lord Kroak and no salamanders- with him you won't need them. The Ruination of Cities is the best spell in the entire game IMHO. Salamanders are good, although I always thought that a steggie was better (unless the sallies don't roll to hit, in which case...)

Malorian
24-12-2007, 16:34
1. sallies don't roll to hit

2. taking kroak in 2000 would just be foolish

Flypaper
25-12-2007, 12:27
Flypaper: the 2nd gen slann counts as a lord and a rare choice, so it does matter./Headslap

Sorry, I always forget about that. Might need to pay more attention now that I'm adding a Steggy to my list. :o

In my defense, I was talking about overall army tactical setup rather than on how you fill your specific slots in that paragraph.

memitchell747
25-12-2007, 16:57
Since the Slann can't use the Skink's PD anymore, is it really worth bringing?

As for Sallies, it's funny that all over the world folks have come to the same conclusion that 2 packs of 3 is broken. Now 2 packs of 2...

Laurela
25-12-2007, 20:02
I'd take a 4th Gen Slann and 1 unit of Salamanders, I altered the choices :p. I've never really been a fan of upgrading the Slann, costs a lot of points and gives way too many VP for my liking, even though they'll rarely die.