PDA

View Full Version : wood/high elves army.

lector#1
22-12-2007, 12:15
ive been intriged into doing a wood elves, and high elves army mixed together because i love the look of glade guard and glade riders but i want the combat skills of the high elves so this is what im thinking of including in my army.
i havent got the new high elves book so this is just estimating im not sure on how many points the star lance is but here it goes

dragon lord
star lance
vambraces of defence
dragon armor
shield

if star lance is under 45 points otherwise swap vambraces for armor of protection

backed up by 2 level 2 mages one with annulian crystal, and one with silver wand and dispell scroll

have 2 units of 10 archers
4 units of 6 silver helms
1 unit of 8 elryran reavers
not sure on how many points this is but if it isnt 2000 points ill ad in a few units of spear elves 2-3 of 16

Xzazzarai
22-12-2007, 14:01
Silver helms are crap.

All I have to say for now. ^^

Lyonator
22-12-2007, 18:54
I am so confused...
are you hoping to do a counts-as army, or literally just start taking wood elf choices in a high elf army?

smileyface
22-12-2007, 21:56
ive been intriged into doing a wood elves, and high elves army mixed together because i love the look of glade guard and glade riders but i want the combat skills of the high elves so this is what im thinking of including in my army.

So the archers and ellyrian reavers are just going to be high elf rules using wood elf miniatures? No problem there.

i havent got the new high elves book so this is just estimating im not sure on how many points the star lance is but here it goes

Your estimate is right.

backed up by 2 level 2 mages one with annulian crystal, and one with silver wand and dispell scroll

My take on this is that two level 2's is what people expect to fight, so if you have two L2 with no bonuses or bound spells you won't get enough off to do anything serious.

have 2 units of 10 archers
4 units of 6 silver helms
1 unit of 8 elryran reavers
not sure on how many points this is but if it isnt 2000 points ill ad in a few units of spear elves 2-3 of 16

You aren't going to get the spearelves in. Depending on dragon type and command options you might not get all the reavers in. That's not a big worry though, because you only really need five in a unit - the rest don't add much.

On the whole I think you might have two problems with your army. Firstly, it might make you unpopular. Some people are upset by armies with minimum core and a dragon. Whether this is a consideration for you depends entirely on the attitudes of your local opponents, and whether you like being liked.
Secondly, apart from the dragon you don't have any real threats in the army. While the silver helm units are okay, they don't have the raw hitting power to take the enemy on frontally, and with nothing else to lengthen the line they probably won't be able to turn a flank. This means that most games will be decided by a single question - does your opponent neutralise or kill your dragon? Personally I don't like playing like that, but if you do then go for it.

One suggestion here - if you swap some of the helms out for Dragon Princes you do gain on the hitting power.

lector#1
22-12-2007, 23:29
ok i was looking at the new reference3 sheet for the high elves and was thinking of doing some thing like this.

prince
star dragon
star lance
(is their any ward save that protects the rider and the dragon)
other wise just a 4 + wardsave
dragon armor
shield

550-590 not sure on the points

level 2 mage
star wood staff

level 2 mage
annulian crystal

2x 10 archers

2x5 dragon princes full command

2x great eagles

2x bolt throwers

how many points does this leave me with and what should i put in to the spare points if i have any?

Dragon Prince of Caledor
24-12-2007, 03:24
I dont get this high - wood elf army... If you could combine the two that would be lame... Anyways that list is almost 2000pts.. really weak in my opinion. No chariots, none of the elite high elf UNITS besides dragon princes. That would be a weird list to use. I like phoenix guard white lions and swordmasters as well as my dragon princes... That is fun ! best of every world.... if you know what i mean:)

lector#1
24-12-2007, 04:02
um well what i was thinking of doing if i go with high elves i was going to add in 2 big units of pheonix guard or 1 big pheonix guard and one big swordmasters with the unit of dragon princes flank charging what they can .

i was thinking of going with a decent offensive archmage on a sun dragon a defensive level 2 mage and caradryn to join one of the pheonix guard units