PDA

View Full Version : What are your likes/dislikes of Apocalypse?

IG_hopeful
23-12-2007, 00:21
I do not know his reason for it, but I found that Pumakilla hates Apocalypse (though he's not tried it)

I for one LOVE Apocalypse!

Chaos and Evil
23-12-2007, 00:30
- Freeform gaming without such a tournament-centric approach to the rules.
- Massive games are cool!
- I like the attitude Apocalypse's existance demonstrates from GW towards its customers.

Dislikes:

- I dislike explaining the same thing lots on this forum: Apocalypse is not a balanced large-scale wargame, if you want such a thing set in the 40k universe, play Epic instead.

That isn't to say I wish Apocalypse was more balanced or tactical, just that I'd prefer it if the front of the Apoc book had the following printed on it in giant letters:

"This is book is not for balanced gaming; Apocalypse is all about teh awesome."

The Laughing God
23-12-2007, 04:25
I like 40k in general. So I like any type of games.

I do disklike that the games do take a very long time. I have played one big apoc game in my house, which was fine because we could take breaks whenever we wanted, and let the game take 2 days. I thought they were going to make up a rule that speeds the game up but I was wrong.

The concept is cool, but not for me. I prefer 1500-2000

Norsehawk
23-12-2007, 12:41
Likes: being able to have fun and take gigantic armies without having to focus on making your list super killy.

Dislikes: having to paint apocalypse size armies up to my standard.

Hokiecow
23-12-2007, 12:50
2) Deployment Rules
3) Strategic Assets
4) The freedom to bring an imaginative force.

Dislikes: None

Lessons Learned:
1) For a 10,000 pt game, a 4'X8' board is too small, it forces the game to be about who is better at CC. BUT this can easily be remedied by taking a larger board.

2) It's meant for taking Legendary units. Otherwise it just a very large 40K game that takes a long time to play. The Legendary Units help speed the game up.

Aaron
23-12-2007, 13:02
2) Large scale battles
3) The total lack of restrictions
4) The emphasis of fun
5) Vortex grenades!

Dislikes:
1) Large multiplayer games can get boring (i.e. the IG Tank Company guy waiting for the Ork guy to finish all of his close combats)
2) Transporting so many models :p

floyd pinkerton
23-12-2007, 13:48
likes-

the rulebook and it's laid-back, informal, 'have fun' style
the new units and datasheets
PLAGGY BANEBLADE!

dislikes-

games without the new units. it's just like a long, kinda boring game of 40k

Waaagh Grignak
23-12-2007, 13:50
My club had an 18,000pts game last wednesday, we got 2 turns done in 4hrs.

The imperial side was what you would call an "apocalypse" army; 3 tank companies, 4 baneblades, warhound etc

The ork side was a large balanced army, 10,000pts of boyz with 3 stompas.

The game wasnt much fun as the game was too short but also the expected casualties werent caused: Imperials lost 10 tanks and a baneblade, the orks about 60 boyz and 4 dreads.

The imperials spent the 2 turns shooting there big stuff at our stompas with very little return on damage.

its my opinion that the games should either be tanks v tanks or large "normal" armies

False Fable
23-12-2007, 14:54
I've only had the opportunity to play one Apoc game, a mega-battle at the local GW. I've always liked team games, and I had fun in Apoc.

I will say that the board we played on, despite being 18 feet in length, was so completely crowded with troops and tanks that few, if any, tactical maneuvers were possible. It also didn't help that the table was 4 feet in width with 18" deployment zones, so the two massive armies began only 12" from each other.

Basically all you could do was stand and fire or march forward and fire. There was no room for things like flanking movements or any other kind of subtlety, and speed-based armies like the Eldar seemed to suffer for that reason.

I suppose some of these problems could have been fixed by simply tuning down the number of troops, but that defeats the purpose of Apocalypse.

MuttMan
23-12-2007, 15:45
I find if you play apocalypse in 'sets' as in 1 troop unit for every other choice you make then it gets fair, even if its min/max troops they're still forced to spend points on it.

People are starting to enforce that now after facing the 40 Orbital Strike army of doom.
The 30 mind war army of doom.
The 20 assassin army of doom.
The 30 Daemonhost army of doom.
The 75 Ravener army of doom.
The 20 units of skyleap swooping hawks+Autarch army of doom.

I can go on and on, but I'll stop here...
(I own a 40 obliterator army of doom)

Being forced to have 1 troop choice with every other choice really splits down those options. The drawbacks to apoc are obvious.

Ruroni
23-12-2007, 15:48
2) It's meant for taking Legendary units. Otherwise it just a very large 40K game that takes a long time to play. The Legendary Units help speed the game up.

Exactly. I find 4-5k games of apocalypse, once you're used to them, take less time than a normal 40k game around 2k.

IG_hopeful
24-12-2007, 08:14
Please stick to the topic. I'm not asking for battle reports.

Ouroboros
24-12-2007, 08:27

Relaxed less restricted approach to list building
Strategic assets
Superheavy vehciles and unique formations

Dislike

Some races really underrepresented in add on extras
Some assets vastly superior to others, potentially game ruining
No VDR type rules
It's basically still just 40k

IG_hopeful
24-12-2007, 12:31
Dislike

Some races really underrepresented in add on extras

Like IG or Imperium, (what I mean is: the Titans?)

intellectawe
24-12-2007, 14:37
Likes : Brings me back to 2nd Edition days of 'playing for fun, not playing to win"

Dislikes : not enough opponents from the 2nd Edition days. Too many post-3rd edition players with the 'win at all costs like every game is a tourney final' mentality.

baldbeachbum
24-12-2007, 15:01
Two Words:

Warhound

Bio-titan

RavingGuard
24-12-2007, 15:08
being able to take what i want in my army
strategic assets
having fun in a second edition style as other folk have mentioned
legendary units

dislike:

people who moan about it or use it to powergame in the extreme

Easy E
24-12-2007, 15:08
I like the Objective system. Very quick and easy.
Deployment
Laid back attitude that encourages conversing with your opponent BEFORE the game.

Dislikes:
You need a 6 by 8 board at least for maximum fun. That's a lot of space to fill up.

MuttMan
24-12-2007, 17:11
Dislikes:
You need a 6 by 8 board at least for maximum fun. That's a lot of space to fill up.

This version of 40k is meant to get people outside for a suntan. :p

Malorian
24-12-2007, 17:33
-New deployment rules
-New models
-New formation rules
-New stratagems
-Using all my models
-Having a massive war

Dislikes:

-When someone backs out you've put a lot of effort into nothing
-When you are playing someone who takes a long time (you need vet players in apoc)
-I don't like the ally rules

Grazzy
24-12-2007, 17:39
Likes - Fun factor, Strategems, data sheets, use of super heavies

Dislikes - nothing (i do however find that apocalypse games are not normally played on large enough tables, meaning ridiculously/unrealistically crammed in models).