PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 XBOX

x-esiv-4c
15-04-2005, 20:24
Hello,
Doom 3 on the Xbox boasts the Co-op mode, am I to assume this is the same kind of co-op sported by the Halo series?

Thanks.

Firebreath
17-04-2005, 16:30
No, with Doom 3 you get to co-op through Live, which is a novelty, I believe.

plasmadaemon
17-04-2005, 19:36
What do you think about the game for xbox?
I personnaly don't like it because of several reasons :
1-The giant Xbox controller, you have to reach for the different buttons and not press any other buttons.
2-the crappy inverted up or down joystisk control
3-you can''t aim properly with the joystick because it can be too sensitive, thus making fast demons a pain in the butt to shoot.
4-the graphics are not up to the standart of the pc version.
5-hard to see the dark environment on a television screen
so all in all: :o , the computer version is better for me.

Firebreath
17-04-2005, 20:23
1-The giant Xbox controller, you have to reach for the different buttons and not press any other buttons.
Try the S-controller. ;)

2-the crappy inverted up or down joystisk control
Try the options or settings menu (whatever it is called), I could change it just fine.

3-you can''t aim properly with the joystick because it can be too sensitive, thus making fast demons a pain in the butt to shoot.
If you are, like me, used to the mouse/keyboard combo, this could be a hassle for every console shoot-em-up, yes.

4-the graphics are not up to the standart of the pc version.
I haven't seen the PC version, so I can't really comment. The Xbox version looks pretty good though IMHO

5-hard to see the dark environment on a television screen
Yes, and the need to switch between your weapon and flashlight is a major pain in the behind.

angelspast
17-04-2005, 21:33
I think that you're better off running it on a PC. You get much better control with a mouse and keyboard. Not to mention the graphics capabilities of a PC vs xbox. Add to that I find the XboX controller very awkward.

Hymirl
17-04-2005, 23:09
You should be able to invert the look like almost every other FPS game in the world. As far as the joypad goes the second version one is much better for ergonomics, and personally I prefer playing FPS games with a joypad, just because a mouse is more accurate I don't consider it to be better, just the same as lightguns are less 'accurate' but you wouldn't play a shoot'em up with a mouse...

Wolflord Bloodangel
18-04-2005, 03:23
Id assume split screen Coop is an option too?

Wolflord Bloodangel
18-04-2005, 03:40
Those dont really sound like criticisms with Doom3, rather with the Xbox in general.

I know Im thanking I got my regular controllers before they started replacing them with those piddly S controllers. Now Ive got smaller than average hands, and the Xbox controller is perfect for me, never have to reach for anything...

I havent had a chance to play Doom3 on the box yet, though Im not that compelled. I played it a bit on my PC, and though it was gorgeous graphically, it just wasnt compelling to play. Im now convinced FPSs can work brilliantly on consoles (Halos controls weer just divine) but I still dont think its worth shelling out for Doom3...

Im still waiting for an FPS better than Farcry to be honest (Half Life 2 was close, Halo 2 closer)...

x-esiv-4c
18-04-2005, 17:06
That is what I was wondering, is the Co-op split screen, going through the "adventure" much like Halo?

Talkie Toaster
18-04-2005, 18:05
Nope. Otherwise you could have one person running around aiming a torch whilst the other person shot stuff, in a coordinated manner. That would detract from the 'Getting Killed By Stuff You Can't Even See, Godsdamnit' gameplay mechanic, so they dropped it.

Hymirl
18-04-2005, 18:51
Yeah, I think one of the strengths of console FPS games is you can have 3 friends drop by and decide to shoot the crap out of each other, ideally on a gorgeous big television. I know Lan parties and online gaming are similar but one requires preperation, space, and hefty transportation and the other just isn't a patch on being in the same room.

That said its more of a Halo/Timesplitter deal than Doom. Perhaps someone knows what Doom3's multiplayer is like? Have they hashed in a co-operative mode, and can you do it with only one machine?
*In vague hope*