PDA

View Full Version : Endings that ruin the movie?

Easy E
23-12-2007, 16:01
Greetings,

******This thread may include Spoilers. Be warned.*************

What endings to movies do you feel real mess up the rest of the movie for you.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Lake House in general, but hte ending was such a Hollywood cop out you could practically see the words TEST AUDIENCE APPROVED flash across the screen.

Also, I love the movie Children of Men, but I think the ending could have been handled in a more subtle and intriguing way.

That's all I have for now......

dax
23-12-2007, 16:44
The end of stranger than fiction I hate the hollywood happy ending an otherwise great film though

Spoiler alert

He should have just died and end the film there the I broke every bone in my body but survived bit didn't feel right although the film does sort of poke fun at it's own ending when Dustin Hoffman reviews the book at the end.

Arnizipal
23-12-2007, 16:51
Ice Age. The damn sabretooth should have just died.

Aaron
23-12-2007, 16:59
Spoilers below!

How about...

28 Days Later: Fantastic until they get to the army base thing. Suddenly the main guy turns into Rambo and pops a cap in all the soldiers' asses.

Event Horizon: The ending simply doesn't match the rest of the movie. The Shining in space suddenly becomes Doom. Lame.

Sunshine: Almost identical to Event Horizon. Why ruin a good movie with super action hero antics?

The pestilent 1
23-12-2007, 17:53
Spoilers below!

How about...

28 Days Later: Fantastic until they get to the army base thing. Suddenly the main guy turns into Rambo and pops a cap in all the soldiers' asses.

... He kills Two people the entire film, The infected kid ("I Haaaate you!") And the soldier who's eyes he... Yeah, well.

Neknoh
23-12-2007, 18:02
Star Wars episode III

spoiler:

"It seem in your anger, you killed her"
"¤wheeeze¤ ¤puff¤ ¤things start to fly arround the room¤ ¤wheeze¤ ¤puff¤ wheeze¤ ¤puff¤ NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!"

They had the mood JUST RIGHT! Everything was set, that is how the real adventure started in the original film, but noooo, they had to go and blow it completely AFTER setting the proper mood.

Oh, for Spidey 3, spidey stopping on the way to the final fight... right in front of a HUGE american flag, I almost pushed through the back of my chair at the cinema in a pure kneejerk response to get away from such overtly blatant symbols of "Go america, we're tha best! Hells yeah! Go america!", it's a small part of Spidey... but not a ******* "HUGE FLAG OMG LOLZ!"-part!

Arhalien
23-12-2007, 18:04
I personally didn;t like the ending to the Illusionist (although I didn;t think much of it overall so possibly not ruining the film). They added in such a hugely convoluted plot twist just to get in a happy ending; it just didn;t seem plausible, and personally, I though the film would have worked better without it.

firestorm40k
23-12-2007, 18:39
War of the Worlds, in fact, anything Spielberg's made since 2001 apart from Catch Me if You Can; but this in particular grates as it just seems so unneccesary, and almost totally shatters the terror and suspense of the previous 2 hours by being completely implausible in the context of the rest of the film.

moose
23-12-2007, 19:57
Green Street - its a football hooligan film. When the second character is punched in the face to death so graphically and intently at the end. It was the only moment of violence in a film ive ever thought 'omg' about - and i like war/action/horrow films!

The Laughing Man!
23-12-2007, 20:41
Also, I love the movie Children of Men, but I think the ending could have been handled in a more subtle and intriguing way.

It could have been worse it could have had the god awful ending of the book.

... He kills Two people the entire film, The infected kid ("I Haaaate you!") And the soldier who's eyes he... Yeah, well.

He bayonets someone as well. That dumbass chef soldier.

War of the Worlds

Hey at least we know to head straight for Boston in case of alien invasion.

Hellebore
23-12-2007, 20:51
Didn't like the end of I am Legend.

Hellebore

RobC
23-12-2007, 20:55
Didn't like the end of I am Legend.
Hellebore
Does it differ from the book? I don't plan to see it, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Kahadras
23-12-2007, 20:59
Transformers. But I concider the end of the movie to be everything after Blackout attacks the American base in Qatar. Yup. That's about 95% of the movie. I do console myself with the fact they got the first 5% right though.

Kahadras

MacB
23-12-2007, 21:01
First Blood.

John Rambo should have died, like in the book.
Would haved saved us some absolutely ridiculous sequels.

Ielnar
23-12-2007, 21:15
Thinking of I am Legend, how about the ending of the Omega Man.

"Hey look kids, a Jesus metaphor!":rolleyes: In fact there are plenty of films that end on a Jesus metaphor moment where the director decides to forgo subtlety and just lamp you a a crucifix pose or someone coming back from the dead (for Superman Returns it felt like every other scene).

Funnily enough I felt that the Passion of the Christ handled its ending very well.

There's also the "Sequel-tastic" endings that plagues even good films. There are cliffhangers, there's leaving the audience wanting more and then there is just trying to shoehorn in a basis for the sequel so they can screw as much as they can out of a franchise. Case in point: League of Extraordingary Gentlemen.

Norminator
23-12-2007, 21:40
War of the Worlds, in fact, anything Spielberg's made since 2001 apart from Catch Me if You Can; but this in particular grates as it just seems so unneccesary, and almost totally shatters the terror and suspense of the previous 2 hours by being completely implausible in the context of the rest of the film.

It had to end that way though - if it didn't it would have betrayed the book so much it would have ruined the film (for me at least).

I thought the ending of Next was awful. I could see where it was coming from, trying to be clever, but as the lights came on in the cinema I just felt so cheated that I'd paid money to watch it when it didn't come anywhere close to concluding. They really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Deamon-forge
23-12-2007, 21:45
I hated the end to:
Resident evil 3 They said its the last one and well left it wide open.
Dont let me go on about 28 weeks later, i spend £9.97 on it and i could of had a blisster from GW and i would have had more fun.

Nephilim of Sin
23-12-2007, 21:46
The end of stranger than fiction I hate the hollywood happy ending an otherwise great film though

Spoiler alert

He should have just died and end the film there the I broke every bone in my body but survived bit didn't feel right although the film does sort of poke fun at it's own ending when Dustin Hoffman reviews the book at the end.

I am split on this one. I do see your point, and was unsure how the movie was going to unfold, but I thought it was very poetic how the watch was the only thing that saved his life, especially since it was the thing that set his life into motion. Regardless, I loved the movie.

Star Wars episode III.....

They had the mood JUST RIGHT! Everything was set, that is how the real adventure started in the original film, but noooo, they had to go and blow it completely AFTER setting the proper mood....

The thing was, it took three movies to get the mood right. Fanboy or not, Lucas should not be allowed to direct movies. Is it coincidence that the majority favors Empire Strikes Back, and that Lucas did not direct it?

As for my own. Can I classify the last Matrix as an 'ending'? Honestly, I almost walked out.

The Skeleton Key: I am all for the bad guys winning, but there was nothing to love/hate about the bad guys. They were just 'there', the twist was foreseeable, and the ending was lame.

On a general note, any movie that set's up the sequel. It is contrived, overdone, boring, lacking inspiration, and got old after the third time you read "Sorry Mario, but the Princess is in another Castle".

Oh, and Butterfly Effect: The Director's Cut is much, much better.

Dirty Fingers
23-12-2007, 22:07
The ending of A.I.

/end thread

seriously, i know a lot of bad things have been said of this movie, most merited, by I was rolling with this film and thinking it pretty good until that DISASTROUS ending. Aliens? Freezing? COME ON. The sappiness was also just unnecessary.

In my opinion, it should've ended when he "found" the blue lady. Ferris Wheel lands on him, the end, a great tragic ending. I wonder if this is where Kubrick ended and Spielberg began. Why have a great, yet very very apt tragedy, when you can tack on a cheesy, pointless, nonsensical hollywood ending? All the more obvious is how when i rewatch the film, it really was building to that tragic ending, so having it end so sappily is just stupid.

Satan
23-12-2007, 22:08
I Am Legend. Saw it today. The mvoie could've used another hour and a decent plot.

Neknoh
23-12-2007, 22:19
The thing was, it took three movies to get the mood right. Fanboy or not, Lucas should not be allowed to direct movies. Is it coincidence that the majority favors Empire Strikes Back, and that Lucas did not direct it?

Which is what I'm talking about, after three movies (first one decent, second one abyssmal, third one decent-excell...¤cue "Nooo..." horrendous), they actually managed to get it right... and they didn't realise that they did so!

Hellebore
23-12-2007, 22:25
Does it differ from the book? I don't plan to see it, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I've not read the book so I can't pass comment. I really disliked the religious undertones in the end of the film and the illogical ending.

I enjoyed the rest of the film though.

Hellebore

Norminator
23-12-2007, 22:36
The ending of A.I.

/end thread

seriously, i know a lot of bad things have been said of this movie, most merited, by I was rolling with this film and thinking it pretty good until that DISASTROUS ending. Aliens? Freezing? COME ON. The sappiness was also just unnecessary.

In my opinion, it should've ended when he "found" the blue lady. Ferris Wheel lands on him, the end, a great tragic ending. I wonder if this is where Kubrick ended and Spielberg began. Why have a great, yet very very apt tragedy, when you can tack on a cheesy, pointless, nonsensical hollywood ending? All the more obvious is how when i rewatch the film, it really was building to that tragic ending, so having it end so sappily is just stupid.

I'd forgotten about that. Yes, it was truly terrible :p

Nephilim of Sin
23-12-2007, 23:22
...In my opinion, it should've ended when he "found" the blue lady. Ferris Wheel lands on him, the end, a great tragic ending. I wonder if this is where Kubrick ended and Spielberg began. Why have a great, yet very very apt tragedy, when you can tack on a cheesy, pointless, nonsensical hollywood ending? All the more obvious is how when i rewatch the film, it really was building to that tragic ending, so having it end so sappily is just stupid.

That is the general consensus, and makes sense from a Kubrick perspective. Even before the movie came out, it was said that you could tell where Spielberg threw his effort in.

The Laughing Man!
24-12-2007, 00:12
It had to end that way though - if it didn't it would have betrayed the book so much it would have ruined the film (for me at least).

I have no problem with the whole bacteria killing off the aliens its part of the story but war of the worlds influenced so much and is such a good read I'm willing to let it go.

My problem is that everyone survives. Cruise finally brings Dakota Fanning to the mother and stepfather at the grandparent's house (both of whom are pensioners) where she has been waiting for them in perfect safety and comfort no less during A ******** ALIEN INVASION THAT DEVASTATED THE WHOLE PLANET! except Boston it would seem. ***** even his faggy emo son survives a battle in which the majority of the US army was blown to sh*ty irradiated ribbons by Martian rape lazers.

Fair enough in the book the narrator does end up unexpectedly reunited with his wife but not in the magically indestructible city of Boston with her elderly parents, untouched house, and suicidal idiot child.

Norminator
24-12-2007, 00:33
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, that did seem odd that despite the total destruction that the Martians seemed to visit upon Earth most of Boston was virtually undamaged!

slaaneshes_own
24-12-2007, 01:07
The tail end of RoTK...

"Hurrah, Aragorn is crowned king, the film ends, no, wait a minute, something else happens, ah, Bilbo and the Elves sail off in their Elfy ships, hurrah, the film ends, no, tell a lie, Same goes home and finds his sweetheart on the step with umpteen sprogs and says "Well I'm home". And cut.... That's such horse excrement! It should have ended after Aragorn and Liv Tyler (bite me, I forget her on-screen name) bowed to the Hobbits..

Also, the original cinematic release of Blade Runner. IIRC they have the trad happy ending to please the American masses who didn't get it, cause there was no happy ending to tell them that everything was going to be OK... Directors cut changed all that though, just putting Deckard and Rachel walking into the elevator and zooming in on the piece of origami (those of you who've seen the film will know what I'm talking about. )

Joe

Gaebriel
24-12-2007, 01:43
Also, the original cinematic release of Blade Runner. IIRC they have the trad happy ending to please the American masses who didn't get it, cause there was no happy ending to tell them that everything was going to be OK... Directors cut changed all that though, just putting Deckard and Rachel walking into the elevator and zooming in on the piece of origami (those of you who've seen the film will know what I'm talking about. )
Yep, the first Blade Runner ending came to my mind as soon as I read the thread title ;)

HalfEvil333
24-12-2007, 02:33
Signs.

With a fury, I will hate that ending til the day I die.
I'm sitting there, watching it, enjoying the movie. I was enjoying it so much that I even ignored some of the annoying bits that didn't make sense (How can an alien with the ability to leap 20 feet straight into the air not be able to kick down a door?). Then comes the ending...

I was floored how gracefully the entire movie was destroyed. It was so bad I can't even watch the movie anymore.

They should have ended after the attack, when they are leaving the basement. Mel Gibson, carrying the kid, opens the door and everyone walks off camera. End. I know most people would be upset, since there is no "resolution", but it would leave an air of mystery. You never really see the aliens, you never know why the attacked. They just came, attacked, and went, making them even more alien and strange. Better than the water-weakness and "God's awesome!" bits that followed.

Warfare
24-12-2007, 02:40
I'll second that. Signs - Worst ending ever. Worst aliens ever.

ok... we're allergic to water... let's come to earth, a planet on which it's probably the most common element! awesome plan! :wtf:

could have just said "someone threw a glass of water on one of them, and then they all went home"

Adept
24-12-2007, 03:05
Green Street - its a football hooligan film. When the second character is punched in the face to death so graphically and intently at the end. It was the only moment of violence in a film ive ever thought 'omg' about - and i like war/action/horrow films!

That was a pretty intense moment. A pretty intense film in general, actually.

I think the violence in Irreversible was more jaw dropping though.

starlight
24-12-2007, 03:11
Let's remember to keep away from targeting any specific country when expressing our concerns over their movie watching preferences.

I'm sure we all have friends and neighbours who meet any description we could care to come up with...

starlight
The Warseer Inquisition

Nephilim of Sin
24-12-2007, 04:13
....Also, the original cinematic release of Blade Runner. IIRC they have the trad happy ending to please the American masses who didn't get it, cause there was no happy ending to tell them that everything was going to be OK... Directors cut changed all that though, just putting Deckard and Rachel walking into the elevator and zooming in on the piece of origami (those of you who've seen the film will know what I'm talking about. )

Joe

Actually, that had a lot more to do with Harrison Ford. From what I recall, Ridley Scott was the one who wanted the "secret uber ending" (see, no spoilers!), even though the original book did not lean towards this (or did it?). However, said audiences, and especially Harrison Ford, wanted the 'hollywood ending'. Remember, this is the same actor who didn't want Han to smoke 'space weed' and pleaded with Lucas to kill his character off because "he wasn't a good role model to kids"....:wtf:

Unbreakable: "Let's hype up this movie based off the success of Sixth Sense, make it real dramatic and supernatural, only to have the secret twist be IT"S ABOUT COMIC BOOKS!!!". Oooh, they are superheroes. Great, if it had been marketed that way.

Freddy Vs. Jason: The Director's Cut was much better, although it clearly had Freddy winning. Which is the way it should be.

2_heads_talking
24-12-2007, 04:28
Jaws Returns.

The carribean guy surviving at the end. He should have been the last to die, the one who pegged it trying to stop the monster, and would have given reason for each member of the Brody family to have lost someone close to them to the shark (yeah, I know the dad and the brother died, but they were vaguely mentioned at the start).

Instead, they do the whole "He just got chewed on a loittle and is found foating around" ending, which kinda sucked. The best films are the ones that kill a major, rather liked character, to make you realise that it is supposed to be real. The good main characters don't always survive. Christ, even Michael Caine survived when his plane got eaten!

In fact, now that I think about it, I am sure there is a version in which the carribean guy dies. I'm positive I saw it the first time around, which surprised me when I watched it on the telly again and found he was actually living.

firestorm40k
24-12-2007, 06:29
The ending of A.I.
In my opinion, it should've ended when he "found" the blue lady.

Absolutely right. As stated, Spielberg carried this type of thing on in Minority Report and War of the Worlds. Speaking of which...

No I'm not talking about that (alien susceptibilty to Earth germs)... The Laughing Man knows what I'm on about though!

Hey at least we know to head straight for Boston in case of alien invasion.

Case in point :rolleyes:

Hlokk
24-12-2007, 07:02
Contact: 2 and a half hours of crap just to get to the end and the alien is her dad or some *****. Horrible, horrible film.

Gladiator also gets my vote for annoying shouty woman at the end screaming "who will help me honour him" and randomly burying 2 clay statue things.

Also, End of Evangelion, purely just for the :wtf:factor.

Jellicoe
24-12-2007, 07:27
Sliver

a diabolical film in so many ways with the twist at the end being that the person you thought was the murderer all along actually was!

also notable for Sharon Stone masturbating in the bath although it manages to be so unerotic that you actually think that she must just have a bit of cramp. Someone at the cinema actually shouted out to her to rub her leg to make it go away.

dire

Hellebore
24-12-2007, 07:33
Contact: 2 and a half hours of crap just to get to the end and the alien is her dad or some *****. Horrible, horrible film.

I'm not sure how different the movie is to the book, but the aliens used her father's appearance to communicate with her, he wasn't actually an alien.

Contact was written as a work of speculative scifi by an astronomer - I don't think it was really an appropriate story for a movie...

Hellebore

Kulgur
24-12-2007, 07:38
Also, End of Evangelion, purely just for the :wtf:factor.

If we're delving into anime (and I agree on the EoE ending, but that was kind of added due to mass demand for a proper ending), I'm going to go for Martian Successor Nadesico with it's very quick ending that says to me "Whoops our budget ran out". Series made me think the same thing tbh

Kohhna
24-12-2007, 12:31
That french one whose name I can't remember. You know the one, about the two chicks who go to visit one of their families in the countryside, a quick girl-**** and a serial killer later, hilarity ensues, then the end where it turns out that [CENSORED] was [CENSORED] THE WHOLE TIME! - which seems cool but then you think about it for a second and the whole second half of the film falls apart and it just seems like a cheap shot.

Also, any film where the fil makers can't think of how to end the thing so they just kill off the protagonist, or one of the main characters (Easy Rider and The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, I'm looking at you). The original cut of Clerks actually had that ending (basically while Dante is locking up the shop a robber comes in and dmeands the till at gun-point and sort of accidentally shoots him) until the distributer demanded they cut it with Randal Wrangling out the door, a rare example of studio interference actually making a film better.

Vodevil
24-12-2007, 12:41
Also, any film where the fil makers can't think of how to end the thing so they just kill off the protagonist, or one of the main characters (Easy Rider)

Dude, that's the entire point of Easy Rider... It comes fills circle with the themes of intolerance and cultural rebellion. The movie would be ineffective without the ending.

Chaos and Evil
24-12-2007, 13:01
The ending of A.I.

/end thread

They weren't Aliens they were AI robots, decended from the robots of Earth's past.

It was still a crappy ending though.

In my opinion, it should've ended when he "found" the blue lady. Ferris Wheel lands on him, the end, a great tragic ending.

Agreed.

reds8n
24-12-2007, 15:19
Face Off.

We always stop it before Travolta brings home the newest addition to the family.:rolleyes:

Icarus
24-12-2007, 16:14

I loved that ending! And it was hardly Rambo, he killed two people, in a very basic primal way. I love that part where the girl thinks hes infected... but she hesitates.

Apparently theres an alternative ending that is much darker but I'm yet to see it.

I think the worst ending I've seen recently was the last half hour of Casino Royale. I didn't think it was a great film, but it was ok for the most part. And then "oh actually im not really a hardcore spy guy, ive got a heart, lets sail around the world together and fall in love.." WHAT? Vomitrocious.

Freak Ona Leash
24-12-2007, 16:20
My girlfriend says the end of The Mist ruined it for her. Horribly depressing, made her cry.

I thought it was great >.>

Norminator
24-12-2007, 16:29
I loved that ending! And it was hardly Rambo, he killed two people, in a very basic primal way. I love that part where the girl thinks hes infected... but she hesitates.

Apparently theres an alternative ending that is much darker but I'm yet to see it.

There are two alternate endings, neither of which are too great. They diverge at the point when they all drive out of the House in the taxi. One shows Jim being taken to hospital by Selena and Hannah, where he dies. It shows them trudging away, leaving him dead to go on the run, then skips to the same ending but without Jim (i.e. with the plane). The other one is the same except instead of the plane rescue it features Jim having flashbacks of the accident that put him in the coma at the beginning.

ArtificerArmour
24-12-2007, 16:52
A history of violence.

"I'm not this violent guy!"

"You are"

"Am not"

"You are. And we're gonna kill your son"

"No I'm not...A HAHAHA YES I AM!"

*bang bang bang*

"Now I'm gonna rape my wife, then go kill my brother, and after that I'll sit down for some meatloaf."

WTF?

It started off a nice subtle mind fukc...then it just spiralled into a not very good gorefest.

Wintermute
24-12-2007, 17:18

Joe

Not exactly.

It was widely known 25 years ago that the version of Blade Runner released was not the one Ridley Scott wanted.

It was changed, by the studio, after poor test screenings. The test audiences were expecting a happy ending and did not want to believe Harrison Ford's character was not the true hero he had been playing in the recently released Raiders of the Lost Ark, but in fact was a Replicant himself. The 1982 release had a voice over added, and the 'happy ending' was shot. The exterior shots for the 'happy ending' were in fact out-takes from The Shinning.

The 1992 Directors Cut removed the voice-over and the 'happy-ending' and very little else was done, apart from the insertion of the 'unicorn dream sequence'.

Of course the recently released Final Cut is the version Ridley Scott wanted all along, and the one I've waited 25 years for.

Back to endings which ruined the movie-

The ending of Donnie Darko - a perfect example of a well crafted film, that is until you get to the end and the story is ruined.

Easy E
24-12-2007, 17:23
I know this movie isn't exactly Cinema Elite, but I can't stand the end of Behind Enemy Lines. The movie did a good job building up the threat and battle hardened nature of the serbs, and that they had the ability and will to use force. Then the Americans show up to rescue their pilot, and the serbs suddenly are useless. It was so impossible...my suspension of disbelief simply shattered. It ruined everything else the movie had built up to.

Zardoz
24-12-2007, 18:09
The ending of A.I.

/end thread

They weren't 'aliens'. They were the end-product of AI development. They were 'robots' too. Only several thousand years into the future after the extinction of most everything else, the cooling of the sun and freezing of the oceans. ;)

Norminator
24-12-2007, 18:30
They weren't 'aliens'. They were the end-product of AI development. They were 'robots' too. Only several thousand years into the future after the extinction of most everything else, the cooling of the sun and freezing of the oceans. ;)

I think I actually read an interview with Spielberg in which he said that they deliberately left the AI/Alien origins for the things at the end ambiguous, so it didn't get in the way of their message and to give the viewer a chance to imagine what they thought the ending meant.

Chaos and Evil
24-12-2007, 18:34
I think I actually read an interview with Spielberg in which he said that they deliberately left the AI/Alien origins for the things at the end ambiguous, so it didn't get in the way of their message and to give the viewer a chance to imagine what they thought the ending meant.

I read an interview with him where he said they were AI's.

Plus, if you pay attention to what they're saying to each other (If you're still awake) it's obvious they're AI's.

Norminator
24-12-2007, 18:35
I read an interview with him where he said they were AI's.

Fair enough, I may well have misremembered.

Jedi152
24-12-2007, 18:40
I'll have top second War of the Worlds, the way the kid survived, and his family was all happy and safe still sitting in their perfect house.

It destroys all sense of sacrifice that it had. Ridiculous.

I loved Skeleton Key, the ending wasn't perfect, but worked well.

thegnome
24-12-2007, 18:51
Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes.

Chaos and Evil
24-12-2007, 19:08
I liked War of the Worlds as a whole (Even if it didn't have a Thunder Child sequence), but yeah the ending did let it down somewhat.

Norminator
24-12-2007, 19:30
I liked War of the Worlds as a whole (Even if it didn't have a Thunder Child sequence), but yeah the ending did let it down somewhat.

If they had put a version of The Thunder Child in the film, it would have easily been one of my favourite movies of all time. That short chapter in the book is one of the best I've ever read.

Light of the Emperor
24-12-2007, 19:43
I know its based on a book but the ending that threw me off completely was from "Bridge to Terabithya". I mean seriously we're going right along, thinking the grand adventure is about to start and BAM! Game over man.
I couldn't stop thinking about it for the entire day!

Adept
24-12-2007, 19:50
I know its based on a book but the ending that threw me off completely was from "Bridge to Terabithya". I mean seriously we're going right along, thinking the grand adventure is about to start and BAM! Game over man.
I couldn't stop thinking about it for the entire day!

I read the book years ago. I was probably twelve or so at the time, so we are talking like fifteen years ago.

It deeply affected me.

For that reason, I refuse to see the movie. I experienced such a sense of loss reading the book... I have no desire to revisist that.

swordwind
24-12-2007, 23:32
Rambo III. The only one I have ever actually seen (I know! I know!). Now I'm well aware of how tough Rambo is. I know he is a one man army and has killed thousands with his bare hands. However I fail to believe that Rambo + some officer guy both on horses and with a bunch of afghans, also on horses versus tanks, machineguns and a helicopter on a perfectly flat, open desert can come out any way other than complete and utter slaughter of the people on horseback.

Enemy at the Gates. I loved most of the film even if it is historical bunkump (at great set peice is a great set piece) and was almost in tears when Tanyia is hit and Mrs. Filipov says she's her daughter so she can get on the last boat and did shed an actual tear when Danilov sacrifices himself so Vasili can shoot Konig. I even loved the cheering and dancing in the ruins. But the very end ruins it all in its hollywoodness. Tanyia and Vasilli meet up again in the hospital and credits roll. wtf? Thats even more BS than the suicide charge at the start. Famously Vasilli and Tanyia never met again after the war. Indeed Tanyia thought he was dead and was heartbroken when an interviewer told her not only was he still alive but had married someone else. When you make a film about a real person it kinda pays to be fairly accurate about what happens.

And the end of 9th Company. Great set up and very nearly the Russian FMJ but again goes into a hollywood ending. Huge mob of Afghans sneak up on the Soviet base and start shooting. Very good twist with all the characters that have been set up and given backstories just dying instead of the usual super slow mo fall and tragic music. But once again my disbelief isnt suspended for long. I dont know much about the Soviet-Afghanistan war but I highly doubt the Afghans would attack the Soviets in a massive wave that walks very slowly towards the base, close together for maximum effect for the Soviet machineguns and mortars. And lo and behold the desperate base is rescued at the last second with the unlikely hero saving the day.

And finally the entire third act of Saints and Soldiers. Generic characters. The crazy religious one. The tough as nails sarge. The Englishman (I say chaps, whatwhat!). I'll be honest it was'nt a good film to begin with but having the heavily wounded characters whizz through the german lines in the back of a jeep, guns blazing and then the crazy religious one manages to redeem himself and somehow, despite having been shot repeated, in the freezing snow, manages to find the strength to hold a rifle in each hand, whilst screaming and mowing down hordes of generic nazis. It tries to be a classic war movie but fails. Badly.

Hellebore
24-12-2007, 23:54
If they had put a version of The Thunder Child in the film, it would have easily been one of my favourite movies of all time. That short chapter in the book is one of the best I've ever read.

Have you heard Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds musical?

The thunderchild sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtX4n_rwzBw) chokes me up every time.

Hellebore

Arnizipal
25-12-2007, 00:21
Enemy at the Gates. I loved most of the film even if it is historical bunkump (at great set peice is a great set piece) and was almost in tears when Tanyia is hit and Mrs. Filipov says she's her daughter so she can get on the last boat and did shed an actual tear when Danilov sacrifices himself so Vasili can shoot Konig. I even loved the cheering and dancing in the ruins. But the very end ruins it all in its hollywoodness. Tanyia and Vasilli meet up again in the hospital and credits roll. wtf? Thats even more BS than the suicide charge at the start. Famously Vasilli and Tanyia never met again after the war. Indeed Tanyia thought he was dead and was heartbroken when an interviewer told her not only was he still alive but had married someone else. When you make a film about a real person it kinda pays to be fairly accurate about what happens.

Wasn't half of that super sovjet sniper story thought up by the propaganda bureau to boost troop morale? That's what I read anyway.

Neknoh
25-12-2007, 00:43
The man did exist, however, he didn't shoot over 400 germans though (or so it seems, several sources, can give in the morning), so, it all depends on where you get your info, but he did exist. The duel is probably purely propaganda though, since there are no records of sending a german super-sniper.

Btw, the suicide-charge at the start IS based on true history, eyewitness reports from former Soviet soldiers described how, amongst others, "They(Cadettes from the navy that had been pulled all the way from the far-east of Soviet) Ran straight toward the enemy machineguns with a glad Hurra!" (see War of the Century, can't remember which part of the documentary series). There are also stories of how prisoners were pulled from camps and prisons, given a rifle (or ammo) and told that if they took a certain hill or reached the other side of a street, they'd be free. Do also note that there were LOADS of dropouts from the Soviet fighting forces, simply because of the bad and gruesome conditions. However, it all payed off it seems.

But I have to agree... what is it with all these "Happy endings" on historical things that were NOT happy WHATSOEVER!

Norminator
25-12-2007, 06:59

The thunderchild sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtX4n_rwzBw) chokes me up every time.

Hellebore

Hmm, the music didn't really seem to suit it in my opinion. And whilst in the book it was the last bit of human resistance (IIRC it was after the Shepperton gun battery took the Tripod down), but the Thunder Child's destruction wasn't really the end of the war :rolleyes:.

One thing that both film adaptations did miss on, I feel, was making the Tripods shielded and virtually indestructible (other than Tom Cruise shoving a grenade up it). The best parts of the books IMO were when the humans do manage to strike back, but it's just not quite enough.

Hellebore
25-12-2007, 07:39
The musical is afaik identical to the original story - the thunderchild was just one section of the story.

The entire musical is on something like 7 cds and is pretty much the entire book set to music and narrated by Richard Burton - it is just a tad cool.

Hellebore

Norminator
25-12-2007, 07:46
The musical is afaik identical to the original story - the thunderchild was just one section of the story.

The entire musical is on something like 7 cds and is pretty much the entire book set to music and narrated by Richard Burton - it is just a tad cool.

Hellebore

I think I may have a copy somewhere, although I haven't listened to it before.

Wintermute
25-12-2007, 09:01

Hellebore

No its only a double album in both its original vinyl format and on CD. And before anyone tries to argue otherwise I still have the original version on vinyl from 1978 :eek:

Plus the cd versions and the dvd of the live performance.

More information about the project can be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne%27s_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_W orlds).

Now, can we get this thread back on topic ;)

Wintermute

scratchbuilt
25-12-2007, 10:19
The ending of A.I.

/end thread

Yeah up until that point I was thinking 'everyone's nuts, this is a really good movie', then I saw what they reviews where on about. Worst ending ever

My problem is that everyone survives. Cruise finally brings Dakota Fanning to the mother and stepfather at the grandparent's house (both of whom are pensioners) where she has been waiting for them in perfect safety and comfort no less during A ******** ALIEN INVASION THAT DEVASTATED THE WHOLE PLANET! except Boston it would seem. ***** even his faggy emo son survives a battle in which the majority of the US army was blown to sh*ty irradiated ribbons by Martian rape lazers.

Fair enough in the book the narrator does end up unexpectedly reunited with his wife but not in the magically indestructible city of Boston with her elderly parents, untouched house, and suicidal idiot child.

I was sort of expecting this with Tom Cruise in the movie - but thats pretty funny:D

As many have said, the disco opera war of the worlds cd is pretty damned cool. Though obv it wouldn't have fit the movie. Love to see a musical of war of the worlds musical movie though:cool:

That french one whose name I can't remember. You know the one, about the two chicks who go to visit one of their families in the countryside, a quick girl-**** and a serial killer later, hilarity ensues, then the end where it turns out that [CENSORED] was [CENSORED] THE WHOLE TIME! - which seems cool but then you think about it for a second and the whole second half of the film falls apart and it just seems like a cheap shot.

Switchblade Romance? Its great in French with subtitles, but the dubbing is so horrendous to ruin the movie. Btu I don't see how the fact that Cens was Cens ruined the movie, you could see it coming for a while but still decent.

A history of violence.

It wasn't as good as Cronenburgs other movies but it was still decent, ending is more than him just giving up his gun fu ways to eat meat loaf. Ummm, not that I can say exactly what is it about. Polite life sucks, mafia life rocks, I think was the message or something.;) His wife is a kill joy bitch, but he's a loser, something like that.

The movie ending that most dissapointed me was Silent Hill. I was a big fan of the game and was willing to ignore a lot, but things went a little silly toward the end, and the misty end was a little unexplained/ not set up. Not terrible in itself, but just a disappointment because the start and build up was so awesome. Really too much was given away too quickly. Don't get me wrong it was still a great movie though. The actual mist was neat, but the whole crazy church fire thing, a little ott, better hinted at.

Master Vampire
25-12-2007, 11:28
Lord of the Rings 3.

Why did Frodo have to gooooOOO000OOOoooo!!!!

I have to cry every time at that end. Damn them!

Arnizipal
25-12-2007, 11:36
How did that ruin the movie? It's very in character and it's how the book ends as well.

Gensuke626
25-12-2007, 12:44
Sadly, the entire LOTR trilogy was made even better after I saw LOTR the Musical in london. My review of that in a nutshell is:
This is what they cut: The Moria Goblins, The Riders of Rohan and everything that really involved them, the king of the dead and the whole ghostly army, and most of the ring wraith related material...they're just in the beginning
This is what they decided to give us:A Song dedicated to the Shire, A Song Dedicated to Bree, A Song Dedicated to Lothlorien Forest, the same false endings BS as the movies, and they took time to show the hobbits rebuilding the shire (Without showing that it was attacked) and letting Sam get married.

But onto movies... actually, I can't think of any movies off the top of my head that haven't been covered already.

But for TV shows...I didin't like the ending of Quantum Leap...I was really hoping for something...happier...the end felt tacked on...and it was if rumors were to be believed...Bellisario wanted to do a 6th season...

Kohhna
25-12-2007, 13:24

Hellebore
I saw the live version recently and it was *********** awesome. We were in the front row and Jeff Wayne winked at my Mum.

Yes, it was Switchblade Romance, and the ending is stupid because the revalation ruins the film, which otherwise is really good. As for Easy Rider, they already did the whole "Murdered by Intolerance" thing with Jack Nicholson's character, so there was no point doing it again. It was very lazy plotting, but admittedly it probably seems better when you're stoned. Its still a good film but the ending's a little, myah.

I should get a vote in for the LOTR trillogy, They should have knocked about 15-20 minutes out of the ending and saved some of it for a The Scouring Of the Shire film.

Chaos and Evil
25-12-2007, 14:09

It's not identical, changes are made, for example in the book the main narrator doesn't witness the destruction of the Thunderchild, that section is narrated from the perspective of his brother, who is helping the narrator's wife escape England.

I've also seen the live performance version... and it is awesome, I highly recommend it!

Nephilim of Sin
25-12-2007, 15:00
...But for TV shows...I didin't like the ending of Quantum Leap...I was really hoping for something...happier...the end felt tacked on...and it was if rumors were to be believed...Bellisario wanted to do a 6th season...

Yeah, if you do an internet search, you are bound to find a few synopses of the season six plot (Which was well, wierd). I too hated the last episode, but it was definitely supposed to lead to something better. Too bad, it was a great series, especially for it's time.

Hellebore
25-12-2007, 20:53
I saw the live version recently and it was *********** awesome. We were in the front row and Jeff Wayne winked at my Mum.

It's not identical, changes are made, for example in the book the main narrator doesn't witness the destruction of the Thunderchild, that section is narrated from the perspective of his brother, who is helping the narrator's wife escape England.

I've also seen the live performance version... and it is awesome, I highly recommend it!

Ah ok. I haven't read the original, I assumed one of the reasons the musical was so popular was because it was true to the story (or at least truer than the stinker Spielberg made).

Hellebore

Damien 1427
25-12-2007, 23:43
There's also the "Sequel-tastic" endings that plagues even good films. There are cliffhangers, there's leaving the audience wanting more and then there is just trying to shoehorn in a basis for the sequel so they can screw as much as they can out of a franchise. Case in point: League of Extraordingary Gentlemen.

To be fair, despite being a horrible bastard mutant offspring of the comics, TLOEG did run for another volume (Where they went up against a Martian invasion) and only recently we've gotten another (The Black Dossier, which is more akin to a sourcebook) and allegedly there's a third and final volume due sometime before the heat-death of the universe. Regardless, the fact the door was left open for a second film was one of the few things that film did right. And yet, I still liked it.

scratchbuilt
27-12-2007, 13:59
I'm glad I never saw the ending of quantum leap.

Just watched the last Series of the Soprano's. The ending really *****SPOILER******

Ruins a lot of things. They just took one episode to say all the therapy was a waste of time. The emo son killed himself a couple of times, then in a one episode wrap up he gets a job and pulls himself together. Theres a mafia war which is also wrapped up pretty quickly. It just invalidates most of the series - all the time we where learning how ****ed up everyone was, in the end they don't solve any of their problems, they just get magicked away. :eyebrows: Really regret watching the last series.

Jedi152
27-12-2007, 15:27
I'm glad I never saw the ending of quantum leap.
As far as i recall:

Sam finds out that he could have leaped home at any time, he just had to believe he could, or something...

The pestilent 1
27-12-2007, 15:37
As far as i recall:

Sam finds out that he could have leaped home at any time, he just had to believe he could, or something...

:eyebrows:

So glad I never saw that.

LuciusAR
27-12-2007, 15:56
Hmm, the music didn't really seem to suit it in my opinion.

Nothing on that album suited the story. Ive never understood how bad 70's prog rock could possibly be concidered appropriate for victoian science fiction.

Once over the most overated albums of all time.

firestorm40k
27-12-2007, 16:20
The ending of Donnie Darko - a perfect example of a well crafted film, that is until you get to the end and the story is ruined.

I've only just noticed this, and feel I can respond to it, in someway. I will confess I do absolutely love this film, it is one of my favourites, but I acknowledge the ending is difficult to comprehend. I think the whole film has been made with a certain ambiguity as to what it really is (is it meant to be sci-fi, or drama? Is it a metaphor for teen angst, a religious allegory, or a twist on a super-hero story?). The thing is, all these things are true.

The ending is also ambiguous and questionable, but here is my take:

after the jet engine has crashed through the roof killing Donnie, there is the sequnece to 'Mad World', in which we see everyone waking up looking disturbed/puzzled. This is where the time travel thing comes in to it, as everyone has a vague idea that something has happened but it has changed, like they've had a strange dream. That explains the look of bemused recognition that passes between Donnie's mum and the girl who would have been his girlfriend.

to be honest though, I'm not sure how the whole time travel thing is meant to work really, but I like a film that doesn't spell things out to you and leaves space for the viewer to come to their own conclusions.

The Laughing Man!
27-12-2007, 19:21
I Am Legend.

They chewed up the book vomited it out with as much schmaltz on it as possible and took the ending and spun it into something as unoriginal, uninteresting, and obvious as the book is the opposite.

I am not a happy bunny.

Stahlgeist
27-12-2007, 20:18
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, that did seem odd that despite the total destruction that the Martians seemed to visit upon Earth most of Boston was virtually undamaged!

That's because so many aliens already live here - ha!

The original "WotW" ending was cheesy as well. The brilliant scientist stumbles out of the church, sees alien war machines crashing everywhere, and says:

"Something's happening!"

Also, it's heavily implied that religious faith = aliens getting sick. Bleh.

.. but I like a film that doesn't spell things out to you and leaves space for the viewer to come to their own conclusions.

Amen, brother. Loved that movie. Just don't THINK it too much.

Burnthem
27-12-2007, 20:54
I Am Legend.

They chewed up the book vomited it out with as much schmaltz on it as possible and took the ending and spun it into something as unoriginal, uninteresting, and obvious as the book is the opposite.

I am not a happy bunny.

I am a big fan of the book, but which is why i'm going to keep the film at arms length! Why oh why can't Hollywood make a decent book/game conversion? WHY?!? :mad:

Irisado
27-12-2007, 21:41
A film which was totally ruined for me by the ending was Pan's Labyrinth. I know it's meant to be a gut-wrenching and, at times, a heart-rending tale, but the final scene really was a scene too far.

scratchbuilt
27-12-2007, 22:43
As far as i recall:

Ugh thats even worse, I just heard he was doomed to continue:(

crandall87
27-12-2007, 23:26
The Holy Grail has a terrible ending that just sucks as does Blazing Sadles. Great films but just no endings at all.

The Laughing Man!
27-12-2007, 23:28
A film which was totally ruined for me by the ending was Pan's Labyrinth. I know it's meant to be a gut-wrenching and, at times, a heart-rending tale, but the final scene really was a scene too far.

Which bit specifically didn't you like? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Hlokk
27-12-2007, 23:36
I'm going to say Goodfellas

Now, I love gangster movies, but the ending to this winds me up, simply because it randomly switches to the first person and everything freezes. If it had shown the trial and the virdict, and perhaps some more of his adjustment to life in the witness protection programme, it would have been a lot better.

Wintermute
28-12-2007, 06:41
I am a big fan of the book, but which is why i'm going to keep the film at arms length! Why oh why can't Hollywood make a decent book/game conversion? WHY?!? :mad:

Because the current film is a remake of The Omega Man, not an adaptation of the book.

BTW the director has hinted the original ending which they shot may appear on a dvd.

Burnthem
28-12-2007, 08:18
Because the current film is a remake of The Omega Man, not an adaptation of the book.

BTW the director has hinted the original ending which they shot may appear on a dvd.

Now you've just gone and got my hopes up :D

firestorm40k
28-12-2007, 11:00
The Holy Grail has a terrible ending that just sucks as does Blazing Sadles. Great films but just no endings at all.

I think that's the point... in the context of the rest of these films, they make perfect sense. Holy Grail just completely throws virtually all film-making conventions out of the window, so it is appropriate that the ending follow this.

Blazing Saddles is also partly a satire about how Hollywood mythologises and 'white washed' (pun intended) the old West, and this ending is a reminder that, yes, this is hollywood, and yes, it's also a revisionist take on westerns. With a big nudge and a wink... ;)

Irisado
28-12-2007, 11:45
Which bit specifically didn't you like? Its been a while since I've seen it.

It's the very final scene. They should have ended the film when Ofelia ends up in the fantasy world with her parents and Pan. Cutting back to the real world in Spain to see what happens there was just totally unecessary. We could have either guessed what happened, or been left to imagine whether she had really been transported to another world. I don't think that they needed to spoil the magical element of the story by including that final scene.

Mahwell Skel
28-12-2007, 12:45
Titanic - Oh why does the boat have to sink!

The end of Alien 3 has irked me for quite some time.

SpinO
28-12-2007, 13:34
Jurassic Park 3.

They need the entire US navy and hundreds of marines to recue 4 stupid people! And then the Pteranodons escape, and do aboslutely nothing...

Nargrakhan
28-12-2007, 19:10
Independence Day - never mind that interstellar space invaders, who've seemingly crushed countless other species before, are defeated by a computer virus that's uploaded on them while they were surfing (porn?) on AOL: it should have ended after they blew up all the major cities with those death ray thingies.

swordwind
28-12-2007, 20:03
Lets not forget the President of the United States, personally leading the attack on the aliens and the British being generic English chaps who cant possibly work out how to fight the aliens themselves and need to wait for the Americans to tell them what to do...

Norminator
28-12-2007, 20:07
Lets not forget the President of the United States, personally leading the attack on the aliens and the British being generic English chaps who cant possibly work out how to fight the aliens themselves and need to wait for the Americans to tell them what to do...

The stereotypes were awful in that film. British are posh twits based (naturally) in the middle east (because the British Empire still owns it, doesn't it :rolleyes:), the Russians being in some rainy area with booming Soviet like music..... that bit alone really p****d me off.

heretics bane
28-12-2007, 21:14
And the fact that Will smiths family some how survive in a service exit door at the front of some tunnel when everything else is completely annilated while everybody elses gets killed and the fact they only just remember that they have one of the aliens ships just lying around.....

swordwind
28-12-2007, 21:21
Which by remarkable coinkydink was also the UFO that crashed at Roswell. Small universe huh?

I think we should start our own webpage, www.ihateid4.com

The Guy
28-12-2007, 21:48
Titanic - Oh why does the boat have to sink!

The end of Alien 3 has irked me for quite some time.

Lol
What was wrong with the ending of alien 3? I liked it. Except the massive question of whether Bishop was an android or not...

I think that most of jurassic park 3 was poorly written. It's good but some emo kid surviving 6 weeks in a dinosaur infested jungle just isn't on. Also the 3 mercs die first...leaving the stupid woman, old man, sam neil, emo kid and billy. Hmm...

Also the ending of doom."OMG let's make it like da game!!!111" Sad.

Icarus
28-12-2007, 22:37
As far as i recall:

No, he was
doomed to leap forever wasn't he? It said he never got home.

Mahwell Skel
28-12-2007, 22:47
Lol
What was wrong with the ending of alien 3? I liked it. Except the massive question of whether Bishop was an android or not...

Alien 3 spoiler

Ripley lives through 3 films of hell to commit suicide when the cavlry arrive. There is something about falling in films that is just not real. All of alien 3 in fact! not just the end. Newt's dead and so is Hicks although I see he posts on here sometimes :D "Somebody wake up Hicks!"

IIRC the Bishop chap that shows up at the end is the creator of the bishop androids. God created man in his own image and all that...

Nagash
28-12-2007, 23:17
Some European movie called The Pit I saw at a movie festival a year ago. I don't think I have seen anything worse or more insulting to my intellect among bad horror flicks. It was so bad that it was not even worthy to be categorized as a b-movie. Ending was so stupid that I think I lost brain cells just watching it.

Adept
29-12-2007, 04:43
I don't think that they needed to spoil the magical element of the story by including that final scene.

But did they? Did Ofelia need to physically enter the underworld? Was it perhaps necessary that she die in order to transition?

Either way, a very very cool film.

scratchbuilt
29-12-2007, 08:01
Lol

I think that most of jurassic park 3 was poorly written. It's good but some emo kid surviving 6 weeks in a dinosaur infested jungle just isn't on. Also the 3 mercs die first...leaving the stupid woman, old man, sam neil, emo kid and billy. Hmm...

Also the ending of doom."OMG let's make it like da game!!!111" Sad.

You're so wrong. The whole doom movie was vaguely lame - but that bit was too cool for school. It's my favourite 'scene' of any movie ever- if they'd just done the whole movie like that it would be my favorite movie ever.

A3 ending was ok, much better than the entire french failure that was A4

I didn't like Atonement but it until the end it was just sort of bad, the ending took it over the edge into Anorexic ****** bad

The Guy
29-12-2007, 17:19
But it was cheesy.

scratchbuilt
29-12-2007, 18:43
But it was cheesy.

No cheesier than every other big action movie. Sometimes you want cheese. I mean, when you go to watch the movie of the game, thats what you want to see. Not an intelligent movie, but the game you love in $$$$vision:D

The Guy
29-12-2007, 18:54
Yea I must admit I have seen cheesier.
Spiderman 3 for example.

Icarus
29-12-2007, 19:20
All of alien 3 in fact! not just the end. Newt's dead and so is Hicks although I see he posts on here sometimes :D "Somebody wake up Hicks!"

I remember reading a book where the protagonist is a fan of Aliens. When he sees Alien 3 it depresses him because, as he puts it "Aliens was all about survival, Alien 3 is only about death." Summed it up pretty well I think.

But did they? Did Ofelia need to physically enter the underworld? Was it perhaps necessary that she die in order to transition?

Either way, a very very cool film.

No. She just died, no magic, nothing. Thats what made it so tragic. Most. harrowing. film. ever.

Adept
29-12-2007, 20:53
No. She just died, no magic, nothing. Thats what made it so tragic. Most. harrowing. film. ever.

It's one of those movies where the ending is open to interpretation. Was all of the fantasy stuff an illusion? If it wasn't, who is to say Ofelia didn't end up in the underworld? The movie never spells it out for you, which makes the ending haunting, but not bad.

Ouroboros
29-12-2007, 21:58
I am legend for sure. The ending in that movie feels like stopping from 200mph via a brick wall.

It just up and ends with no warning what so ever.

Norminator
29-12-2007, 22:16
I actually quite liked the end. As soon as the infected began their attack I knew it was the beginning of the end, so I personally didn't feel it was too much of a shock, and it was nice to have a truly optimistic end to a survival horror film.

On a largely unrelated note, I Am Legend has the distinction of being the first film to make me cry in the cinema (I think you can guess which bit it was).

Doctor Thunder
29-12-2007, 23:22
I am always miffed by the ending of Die Hard with a Vengence. Mostly because I was finding it very satisfying that the bad guys had won, and everything seems to be winding down...but NO! An asprin bottle turns everything around.

Hicks
30-12-2007, 01:12
Newt's dead and so is Hicks although I see he posts on here sometimes :D "Somebody wake up Hicks!"

I came out allright in the end, don't worry:D

I loved Alien 3 it was the first Alien movie I ever saw. If you haven't watched it in a while get the DVD, it has lots of extra scenes that make it FAR superior to the original release.

Penitent
30-12-2007, 09:16
Pearl Harbor.

I mean, I thought the movie as a whole was an atrocity. But the name of the movie was "Pearl Harbor", not "Pearl Harbor and Doolittle's subsequent bombing of Japan months later".

As is typical of Jerry Bruckheimer films, it seems impossible to let the film end with America perceived as the "loser".

The Guy
30-12-2007, 10:11
I actually quite liked the end. As soon as the infected began their attack I knew it was the beginning of the end, so I personally didn't feel it was too much of a shock, and it was nice to have a truly optimistic end to a survival horror film.

On a largely unrelated note, I Am Legend has the distinction of being the first film to make me cry in the cinema (I think you can guess which bit it was).

I can't make my mind up about the ending. It would have been better if it wasn't all "god saves the day! Hoorah!"

Ouroboros
30-12-2007, 10:18

It wasn't really the optimism or content of the ending that bothered me it was how abruptly it came on. It felt like somebody busted in on the script writer while he was working on the scene where the zombies are attacking the house and told him "this needs to be done today... by 4:00".

The woman escapes the attack and then boom, Scotty teleports her and her car to the colony in Vermont. Felt like a missing reel.

Norminator
30-12-2007, 10:26
I can't make my mind up about the ending. It would have been better if it wasn't all "god saves the day! Hoorah!"

I thought that it could be interpreted both ways; first off that god saved the world hoorah (i.e. the woman's opinion) or that Will Smith had just realised what to do and did it.

Damien 1427
30-12-2007, 10:36
I am always miffed by the ending of Die Hard with a Vengence. Mostly because I was finding it very satisfying that the bad guys had won, and everything seems to be winding down...but NO! An asprin bottle turns everything around.

Isn't the original ending that the villain succeeds, McClaine is made a scapegoat, and subequently loses his marriage and his job, before going rogue and killing villain a few months later with a rocket launcher?

Easy E
30-12-2007, 10:58
It's one of those movies where the ending is open to interpretation. Was all of the fantasy stuff an illusion? If it wasn't, who is to say Ofelia didn't end up in the underworld? The movie never spells it out for you, which makes the ending haunting, but not bad.

I think the scene where Ofelia escapes the room via the magic chalk, when their is no other way she could have escaped pretty much spells out the fact that the fantasy world is "real" and hence, the ending loses some of it's power. If that room escape scene had been worked differently, I would agree with you.

I love the movie Children of Men, but I would have done the ending totally differently.

Potential Spoilers..

The story was about the Clive Owen character, so when he left the picture the movie should have ended instead of following the mother to the boat. Granted, they leave it a bit open, because we don't know if the boat was the "promised land" that everyone spoke of in the film. However, my ending would have left the mother simply adrift in the ocean and suppose to meet the Project: Humanis people, but the viewer would have to decide if she does and then whether humanity still has a chance.

Irisado
30-12-2007, 12:21

In my view though, they would have made the ending more open to interpretation if they hadn't included that final scene. I mean I'd already had all my emotions tied in knots by everything else that had happened, so I really do question the value of that final scene.

I can understand why they did it, in that the murder of an innocent child was supposed to really highlight the senselessness and cruelty of the fascist government, but I think I had got that point without having to witness that at the end.

I agree with Icarus about the film being harrowing. It was tough enough to watch, albeit worthwhile, without being subjected to an ending so callous as that.

Festus
30-12-2007, 12:45
Rambo III. The only one I have ever actually seen (I know! I know!).
Which only happens to remind me how silly that ending of First Blood actually is. Well, they should've let Rambo blow it just like the book. None of that *Oh, in reality he is a misunderstood Robin Hood Bhudda - kind of guy*.

It didn't actually ruin the movie, but it sure as hell made little sense to me back then - and even less with the sequels :rolleyes:

Festus

Doctor Thunder
30-12-2007, 15:37
Isn't the original ending that the villain succeeds, McClaine is made a scapegoat, and subequently loses his marriage and his job, before going rogue and killing villain a few months later with a rocket launcher?

That's really cool, but where in the world did you hear that from?

Damien 1427
30-12-2007, 15:41
That font of knowledge known as Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard_with_a_Vengeance#Original_ending).

Icarus
30-12-2007, 16:41
I think the scene where Ofelia escapes the room via the magic chalk, when their is no other way she could have escaped pretty much spells out the fact that the fantasy world is "real" and hence, the ending loses some of it's power. If that room escape scene had been worked differently, I would agree with you.

I'm not sure that means the fantasy world was real. I can see what you mean, but as the movie goes on, her fantasy version of events seems to be more and more precedent. I saw that as her version of events in her mind, but in reality she may have just been able to sneak out.

Whilst it is deliberately ambiguous throughout the film I very much got the impression that none of it was real, that seemed to be the point of the end, it was the fact that it was all make-believe that really hammered home the tragedy of the real world. I may have to rewatch it to try and look at it the other way, but to me that view was inescapable, which was saddening because I didn't want to believe it was true.

Regardless, its still a good ending, albeit very depressing, so not totally sure whey its in this thread at all!

Irisado
30-12-2007, 17:07
Because I felt that the ending was just too much and spoilt the film.

Easy E
30-12-2007, 17:55
I'm not sure that means the fantasy world was real. I can see what you mean, but as the movie goes on, her fantasy version of events seems to be more and more precedent. I saw that as her version of events in her mind, but in reality she may have just been able to sneak out.

I can see your argument, except the escapes reveal was filmed through the POV of the nanny character. There was a guard at the door, who was killed by the resistance forces IIRC. There was no other way out of the room. The nanny sees the chalk oultine, and rushes out. Ophelia's version of events has nothing to do with the way the scene is shot. Again, this is IIRC.

The only way she could have escaped was if the chalk really was magical and it allowed her to escape.

Icarus
30-12-2007, 17:56
Because I felt that the ending was just too much and spoilt the film.

Ah ok, fairy nuf. I disagree though, although the ending is a complete bombshell that destroys your faith in humanity, the whole film is about awful things happening in wartime, so I feel the ending brought that theme to a horrifyingly real conclusion.

@ Easy E: Its been a while since I watched it so I will take your word for it. I feel I am going to have to rewatch this film!

swordwind
30-12-2007, 20:13
Yep, there were two guards either side of the door with orders to shoot her if she tries to get out. There's no other way out of the room and she escapes before the rebels attack so she couldn't have slipped out in the confusion. The only way she could have escaped is through the chalk door.

slaaneshes_own
30-12-2007, 20:48
Not exactly.

It was widely known 25 years ago that the version of Blade Runner released was not the one Ridley Scott wanted.

It was changed, by the studio, after poor test screenings. The test audiences were expecting a happy ending and did not want to believe Harrison Ford's character was not the true hero he had been playing in the recently released Raiders of the Lost Ark, but in fact was a Replicant himself. The 1982 release had a voice over added, and the 'happy ending' was shot. The exterior shots for the 'happy ending' were in fact out-takes from The Shinning.

The 1992 Directors Cut removed the voice-over and the 'happy-ending' and very little else was done, apart from the insertion of the 'unicorn dream sequence'.

Of course the recently released Final Cut is the version Ridley Scott wanted all along, and the one I've waited 25 years for.

Back to endings which ruined the movie-

My apologies - its been a damned long time since I've seen the original release. I shall have to correct that. I have also failed to see the latest edition of Blade Runner, this too I shall have to correct...

As for Donnie Darko, its a brilliant ending! Something which was supposed to kill him didn't, thus screwing up space and time forever. So he basically gets a second chance at making everything right! At least that's the way I understand it...

Joe

Spider
30-12-2007, 22:17
As for Donnie Darko, its a brilliant ending! Something which was supposed to kill him didn't, thus screwing up space and time forever. So he basically gets a second chance at making everything right! At least that's the way I understand it...

Joe

Yup. There is/was a website with a massive amount of "theory" about the nature of timetravel/wormholes with regards to the film, but the above sums it up in a nutshell.

My contender for worst ending is "The Prestige".

Great, tense film all the way through...then Boom!

It realy is all magic! oooh!

Not to mention...

The Titanic...why didn't Leo die earlier?

Signs....truly stupid ending there.

Gotta mention War of the Worlds again...that happy ending sucks.

I could go on!

The pestilent 1
30-12-2007, 22:21
Signs....truly stupid ending there.

Gotta mention War of the Worlds again...that happy ending sucks.

I could go on!

Plus, Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise don't die.
Films need more of them dying in painful and humiliating ways.
Perhaps running away from a Martian Tri-pod, weeping like a newborn baby and being run over by a US army hum-vee.

Spider
30-12-2007, 22:23
Plus, Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise don't die.
Films need more of them dying in painful and humiliating ways.
Perhaps running away from a Martian Tri-pod, weeping like a newborn baby and being run over by a US army hum-vee.

Works for me!:D

sanctusmortis
30-12-2007, 23:07
I Am Legend. Sorry, but it just ruins how the film works, and totally ignores WHY he is legend in the book.

I thought the Prestige ending was he has a twin, and he's been creating and killing clones?

perfidius
30-12-2007, 23:10
Next's ending was utterly shocking. Probably because the film was pretty shocking, so the ending really didn't stand a chance.

cpl_hicks
30-12-2007, 23:17
The ending of I Am Legend, if they had finished with Neville blowing himelf up it would have been fine, but no they had to go for the soppy hollywood ending.

but other than that i liked it.

Icarus
31-12-2007, 00:16
My contender for worst ending is "The Prestige".

Really? I love that ending. Can you really tell me you saw it coming? Plus it comes with the truth about Boden as well, which was pretty cool.

I thought the Prestige ending was he has a twin, and he's been creating and killing clones?

Not exactly, its that the machine duplicates him. Hence why he never knew if he was going to be the one that lived or died each time he stepped into it. Thats why the very first scene is of the hats and "Are you watching closely?", because the whole thing is actually explained to the audience over the course of the film, but nobody joins the dots. The whole film has the same format as a magic trick.

swordwind
31-12-2007, 01:35
I AM LEGEND is just a remake of The Omega Man, not a adaptation of the novel.

Jon_Irenicus
31-12-2007, 01:38
The Departed. I was a long time hater of DiCaprio, but since I saw Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York I've got to acknowledge he knows how to pick movies. I liked every single one he's been on ever since (Blood Diamonds, too) - but the ending of The Departed was a bit too... sudden.

The part were he gets shot as soon as the doors open. But then again, I loved the fact that a character that's so left at the margin wraps it up beautifully.

I loved the Prestige, as I did Donnie Darko. I Am Legend was cool, but you only get the "title" if you read the book. And the only version I saw of Blade Runner was the Director's Cut, though I heard that a new one was released - which might be interesting (I knew there was a special DVD boxed set, but I didn't know if that was the older DC or not).

I somewhat disliked the ending of Layer Cake, a rather cool movie (I was kind of missing something like that, a movie that reminds me of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels).

In Layer Cake, X doesn't actually die at the ending, seeing as a sequel is planned with Daniel Craig.

I disliked the Golden Compass, but I actually thought that the ending they chose was fitting and will make for a much more thrilling sequel. It deserved another hour so as to not make the story look so rushed. Not a worthy sucessor to LOTR (Newline said it, not me).

Oh, and about book to movie adaptations, my dad told me that Mario Puzo's Godfather was better in the silver screen than in text.

I'll join in on the train about A.I.'s ending sucking. I also say that the only thing worthwhile about Transformers were the big guys themselves (why, oh why did it have such a corny love story? And so dependant on Spielberg's newest protégé?).

And finally, I'm thinking about creating a similar topic to this one about Series (anime or tv), but I'm a bit daft with the Search function, so I'm reluctant to start one if something like it already exists.

Arnizipal
31-12-2007, 01:56
And finally, I'm thinking about creating a similar topic to this one about Series (anime or tv), but I'm a bit daft with the Search function, so I'm reluctant to start one if something like it already exists.
Well, there has been a thread about series jumping the shark (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80837)...

Jon_Irenicus
31-12-2007, 02:43
Thanks, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'll create a topic tomorrow, I'll just leave the laptop encoding The Fallen (a great movie with Denzel Washington, which I heartly recommend! And sports a great ending, too.) and go to bed to dream of colour schemes. Later!

Wintermute
31-12-2007, 06:55

Joe

I agree with your assessment of the ending, it still ruined the film for me though.

Perhaps I should try and find the Director's Cut of the film?

Mahwell Skel
31-12-2007, 09:10
The Departed. I was a long time hater of DiCaprio, but since I saw Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York I've got to acknowledge he knows how to pick movies. I liked every single one he's been on ever since (Blood Diamonds, too) - but the ending of The Departed was a bit too... sudden.

Well The Departed is a HYollywood remake of the excellent Infernal Affiars and Hollywood (surprise! surprise!) changes the ending. Check out Infernal Affairs if you liked The Departed. The "Jack Nicholson" character in the original is excellent.

The fun also continues with the sequels.

Jon_Irenicus
31-12-2007, 12:23
I agree with your assessment of the ending, it still ruined the film for me though.

Perhaps I should try and find the Director's Cut of the film?

I don't know exactly what changes, but...

I had mixed feelings about the ending at first, but after helping my girlfriend write a review for the movie, there were a lot of details that were missed but are related to the book they read. The true importance of Gretchen, Frank, and Donnie, the fact that he had 28 days to fix the timeline before it unraveled (had something to do with the lunar cycle), the three "quests" he had to accomplish in order to become the Living Receiver (as opposed to Frank) and in the end he created the time distortion, represented by a tornado, to travel back in time in order to save everyone he loved - his mother and sister and his girlfriend (the main incentive), and ultimately, the universe, as the temporal paradox would unravel and destroy everything. Either that, or he was crazy all along and dreamed it all.

Well The Departed is a HYollywood remake of the excellent Infernal Affiars and Hollywood (surprise! surprise!) changes the ending. Check out Infernal Affairs if you liked The Departed. The "Jack Nicholson" character in the original is excellent.

I always wanted to see the movies but they aren't easy to find. I might order them from Fnac, though. Thanks for the advice, I didn't know what to think about IAffairs and I didn't want to read reviews so as not spoil the movie.

Stahlgeist
31-12-2007, 17:08

Really? I thought it was based on our infamous Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill gang?!?

slaaneshes_own
31-12-2007, 17:26
Probably just me then.... Directors cut is the only one I've seen.

I like a good headf*** of a movie - like with Unbreakable! I love that film! I'd never seen 6th Sense, so I didn't have a clue what was happening or if there were any links...

Still happy watching Mr. Darko though - where they're discussing the Smurfs is possibly the funniest part of a film ever! And when they're in the cinema, and Gretchen is asleep (or is she?!) gets me...

The dude who played Frank - did he remind any of us Brits of a kid who used to be in a series on TV about a school newspaper? and or Freb from Gone In 60 Seconds?

Joe

Irisado
31-12-2007, 18:49
Ah ok, fairy nuf. I disagree though, although the ending is a complete bombshell that destroys your faith in humanity, the whole film is about awful things happening in wartime, so I feel the ending brought that theme to a horrifyingly real conclusion.

I completely agree with your analysis of the film. I think my problem was that I got too emotionally involved with the story and the characters, hence why I felt the ending got out of hand. Anyway, that's the last point I'll make before I drive everybody crazy by going on about it :)

Spider
31-12-2007, 19:12
Really? I love that ending. Can you really tell me you saw it coming? Plus it comes with the truth about Boden as well, which was pretty cool.

Nope, i didn't see it coming.

And to be honest, it is better when watched again...because the ending is spelled out throughout the film (when you know what to look for).

But i thought that....
for a film that spent most of its time showing how the tricks were planned out to suddenly have one of the protaganists actually have a device that "magicially" conjurs up clones/duplicates seemed a bit of a "what the hell?"moment.

Norminator
31-12-2007, 19:26
In the very end of the Prestige, Michael Caine says something (can't remember exactly what now) that I couldn't work out. Anyone care to explain?

sanctusmortis
31-12-2007, 19:53
for a film that spent most of its time showing how the tricks were planned out to suddenly have one of the protaganists actually have a device that "magicially" conjurs up clones/duplicates seemed a bit of a "what the hell?"moment.

It's because Tesla never ironed the bugs out; if you remember, the old one was creating and teleporting clones of the hat and cat outside...

Marsekay
31-12-2007, 23:47

I had a tear in my eye when the dog got attacked.

Glad they made it turn zombified though, made it easier to cope with!

theunwantedbeing
31-12-2007, 23:49
Doenst appear to have been said but the ending to Transformers....left it wide open for a damned sequal.

Damien 1427
01-01-2008, 10:10
Doenst appear to have been said but the ending to Transformers....left it wide open for a damned sequal.

Which was announced before US release of the film, with a good chunk of the cast returning. Only problem is it's stalled because the the effin' writers strike.

Stahlgeist
01-01-2008, 16:45

Shocking - Hollwood NEVER does that! :D

The pestilent 1
01-01-2008, 16:55

It's a trilogy.
We've known this from the start...

Jon_Irenicus
02-01-2008, 01:44
I hope the next two are superior to this one. I disliked the comedy relief, the romance, etc. I have high hopes for The Hobbit, the next Superman, and the next Batman. Oh, and Halo, though the project is on halt. But this is straying off-topic... I have to look in my collection in order to remember a few that were nice up till the end :(

New Cult King
02-01-2008, 01:50
Nearly every Dark Castle movie I have ever seen (House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts etc.) has started off excellent, only to fall down in the last 20 mins or so. I don't know what it is, but their movies seem to start off quite in-your-face and brutal, only to end softly with a sappy lovey-dovey scene, swelling violins playing over the top. Bah.

Also, I randomly watched The Invisible yesterday, about a kid who is nearly killed and his spirit is stuck in a half-way state while he tries to get someone to find and save his body. It's much better than it sounds, dramatic and poignant; even a little bit funny. The ending however, sucks. In last 10 mins or so, the whole feel of the movie crumbles and there's no real closure. Bleh.

five01st
02-01-2008, 17:29
Also, I randomly watched The Invisible yesterday, about a kid who is nearly killed and his spirit is stuck in a half-way state while he tries to get someone to find and save his body. It's much better than it sounds, dramatic and poignant; even a little bit funny. The ending however, sucks. In last 10 mins or so, the whole feel of the movie crumbles and there's no real closure. Bleh.

Same feelings about the movie here.

I saw the Golden Compass since I'm a fan of the book series by Phillip Pullman, and WTF, I can understand Hollywood cutting scenes and modifying them slightly to make a book into a movie but why, in the name of God, cut out the ENDING!?! The movie does a great job for the book, but the ending is cut short, and considering that the ending of the first book sets up the story of the other two... :rolleyes: All I can say is urgh, the ending sucked for a movie that did not in all other parts.

Norminator
02-01-2008, 17:32
I saw the Golden Compass since I'm a fan of the book series by Phillip Pullman, and WTF, I can understand Hollywood cutting scenes and modifying them slightly to make a book into a movie but why, in the name of God, cut out the ENDING!?! The movie does a great job for the book, but the ending is cut short, and considering that the ending of the first book sets up the story of the other two... :rolleyes: All I can say is urgh, the ending sucked for a movie that did not in all other parts.

My opinion of the ending was so that the depressing one of the book was replaced with a happy one for hollywood audiences. A bit of a cop out really :rolleyes:

RobC
02-01-2008, 20:47
Which was announced before US release of the film, with a good chunk of the cast returning. Only problem is it's stalled because the the effin' writers strike.You mean someone wrote the first one? :eek:

Damien 1427
02-01-2008, 21:00
You mean someone wrote the first one? :eek:
Well, a team of chain-smoking monkeys in deerstalkers.

The pestilent 1
02-01-2008, 21:31
You mean someone wrote the first one? :eek:

Given that they are (Were) wanting the ******* dinobots, oh, and blockimus Prime I'm frankly glad that Bay told them to STFU and GTFO.
Bless that man and his no nonsense ways. And for bringing some credibility to the toy commercial (sorry, Franchise)

Norminator
02-01-2008, 21:37
I really don't see all the problem with Transformers, I thought it really lived up to what it was supposed to be - great special effects, amazing battle scenes and full of giant transformer robots hitting each other whilst shouting slightly odd yet strangely fitting names.

Hellebore
02-01-2008, 21:46
I really don't see all the problem with Transformers, I thought it really lived up to what it was supposed to be - great special effects, amazing battle scenes and full of giant transformer robots hitting each other whilst shouting slightly odd yet strangely fitting names.

Only it wasn't full of transformer robots, there was very little of them. The chihuahua got almost as much screen time:p

Hellebore

Norminator
02-01-2008, 21:58
Only it wasn't full of transformer robots, there was very little of them. The chihuahua got almost as much screen time:p

Hellebore

I personally thought that there were there enough - any more and it would become monotonous and not exciting.

Hellebore
02-01-2008, 22:04
Well I suppose it depends. The film was called transformers, and as they are sentient creatures they can be central characters on their own. They don't need humans around them to relate to, which was one of the reasons the cartoon was so popular. Talking cartoon lions, chipmunks et al prove you don't need humans to sell a film.

Kids related to each transformer, because their personalities were easily identifiable. They saw Optimus as the Heroic Father figure. They didn't need a human next to him admiring him to feel that.

The film decided the audience needed humans to be the emotional bridge between them and the transformers, something I don't think was necessary.

From my perspective, the movie was a case of pendulums swinging too far in the other direction.

Did the film need modifying from the cartoon? Absolutely.
Did it need THAT level of modification from the original story lines? No.

If the pendulum had swung just a bit less extremely, I would have enjoyed it more than I did.

Hellebore

Templar Ben
03-01-2008, 00:26
I am Legend.

The ending was far too upbeat. Completely changed the meaning of "I am legend".

moose
03-01-2008, 00:44
I watched it a few hours ago.

Why the two immune survivors were introduced ten minutes from the end, and how he died was a bit lame. Also, he should have got laid at the end, wheres the romance? Im sure after three years he would have things on his mind. Well apart from on manequins haha.

Minus the wierd last few minutes it was a good film, although it left me with alot of questions throughout.

Jedi152
03-01-2008, 07:09
@Moose, and everyone else talking about I Am Legend: To say the film's only been out for 8 days, can we get some spoiler tags please?

**EDIT** Oh ... nevermind, just seen the warning in the first post. Doh!

Templar Ben
03-01-2008, 09:47
I watched it a few hours ago.

Why the two immune survivors were introduced ten minutes from the end, and how he died was a bit lame. Also, he should have got laid at the end, wheres the romance? Im sure after three years he would have things on his mind. Well apart from on manequins haha.

Minus the wierd last few minutes it was a good film, although it left me with alot of questions throughout.

I am sure not the least of which was "how does just the middle section of a suspension bridge fall?"

Considering it was a movie that was a remake of a remake loosely based on the original story I should have been okay with it but why use the same name?

Norminator
03-01-2008, 16:08
Also, he should have got laid at the end, wheres the romance?

Thank god they left it out. It seems to me that almost every post-apocalyptic or survival film or book has a romance, normally between two characters with a mutual animosity when they first meet. I'm glad that for once I Am Legend didn't have it.

Also, there was the whole idea that part of the reason he killed himself was that because he was so dedicated to his wife, kid and Sam that when they were all dead he had nothing worth living for (hence his suicide attempt at the docks).

Damien 1427
03-01-2008, 17:40
Bless that man and his no nonsense ways. And for bringing some credibility to the toy commercial (sorry, Franchise)

Shame he can't direct for toffee. Sorry, his camera-work in the fight scenes was terrible. Too much of the film was fluff and filler (The hacker storyline was the worst culprit, adding nothing whatsoever) and too little actually revolved around the robots themselves. Despite this, Sam was a likeable character, the designs were rather good indeed (Apart from Megatron)... and that's it. It was better than the 86 film, but I crap things out after a heavy meal that are better than the 86 film.

The pestilent 1
03-01-2008, 19:40
Shame he can't direct for toffee. Sorry, his camera-work in the fight scenes was terrible. Too much of the film was fluff and filler (The hacker storyline was the worst culprit, adding nothing whatsoever) and too little actually revolved around the robots themselves. Despite this, Sam was a likeable character, the designs were rather good indeed (Apart from Megatron)... and that's it. It was better than the 86 film, but I crap things out after a heavy meal that are better than the 86 film.

That was the point though (The camera) - to give it a human angle, seeing it as though you are there.
I liked Megatron's design personally, but it is just aesthetic taste I suppose.

But hey, let's hope now we have the human element of these alien beings down, we can have some **** kicking in the sequel.
A script was leaked (purposely mind) -if the actual one goes down anything like that does I don't think you will be bitching about there not being enough action.
Can anyone say Constructicons?

(I'd rather have Bruticus myself but whatever)

moose
03-01-2008, 20:41
I am sure not the least of which was "how does just the middle section of a suspension bridge fall?"

Also, why would they blow up the bridge while ferries and other transporters were being taken across the river?

I'm glad I won't ever have to deal with American National Guard ;).

The pestilent 1
03-01-2008, 20:45
Also, why would they blow up the bridge while ferries and other transporters were being taken across the river?

"Five minutes, we'll make it"
Kinda says "we aint taking no crap from this evacuation"

Saying that, I decided to be glad we don't have the US military after 28 Weeks later :p

Damien 1427
03-01-2008, 22:04
That was the point though (The camera) - to give it a human angle, seeing it as though you are there.
I liked Megatron's design personally, but it is just aesthetic taste I suppose.

I don't give tuppence for Bays ********. It juddered around like an emu on a sugar high in the throes of an epileptic fit. It made the action nigh-on impossible to follow. That's just sloppy direction.

The pestilent 1
03-01-2008, 22:11
I don't give tuppence for Bays ********. It juddered around like an emu on a sugar high in the throes of an epileptic fit. It made the action nigh-on impossible to follow. That's just sloppy direction.

Eh, your choice.
I liked it, and so did a whole slew of other people.

cpl_hicks
03-01-2008, 23:51

I guess it was so that the only way people could get off the island was through them.

I think that the way neville killed himself was okay, if they had stopped the film there it would have been good, but taking it to the last human outpost was bad.

I did like how the film showed how much neville had lost it in the three years, the whole section when he get captured cause of the manequins, and then asking the other manequin out i think that was good acting on part of Mr Smith

Templar Ben
04-01-2008, 01:57
Thank god they left it out. It seems to me that almost every post-apocalyptic or survival film or book has a romance, normally between two characters with a mutual animosity when they first meet. I'm glad that for once I Am Legend didn't have it.

Also, there was the whole idea that part of the reason he killed himself was that because he was so dedicated to his wife, kid and Sam that when they were all dead he had nothing worth living for (hence his suicide attempt at the docks).

I also am glad there wasn't some romance.

I would have had the NG controlling the bridge and having people sent across there. Much faster and safer than air and water.

"Five minutes, we'll make it"
Kinda says "we aint taking no crap from this evacuation"

Saying that, I decided to be glad we don't have the US military after 28 Weeks later :p

Fortunately, the US Military is a bit better than how they are normally portrayed in movies. Helo pilots don't fly alone for one thing.

I guess it was so that the only way people could get off the island was through them.

I think that the way neville killed himself was okay, if they had stopped the film there it would have been good, but taking it to the last human outpost was bad.

I did like how the film showed how much neville had lost it in the three years, the whole section when he get captured cause of the manequins, and then asking the other manequin out i think that was good acting on part of Mr Smith

I think it would have been better if the vampires were thinking. He has the cure and they know it but they just don't care and kill him anyway.

To me, there were too many flashbacks. It broke up the long periods of him being alone. There was a reason that Tom Hanks was able to get people to cry over a lost volleyball.

2_heads_talking
04-01-2008, 03:05
As I saw this a few hours ago:

I Am Legend... It explained the reason for him being a legend in the woman's last spoken words. Maybe a little too "Omega Man" and too little proper "I Am Legend", but I'm glad they didn't have him starting a relationship. He'd been alone for so long, yet he still had an attachment towards his family. It was a part I liked in the film, rather than being another "Man loses family, but is happy to jump into bed with another at the slightest provocation".

One thing I don't get, though, is the little things: who moved the damned dummy? Was it the vamps?

Also, the ending: if the vamps were becoming more intelligent, by setting traps and such, then this gives the impression that they understood exactly what he was saying but they DIDN'T WANT IT. If this is the case, it does actually fit the closing stages of the novel.

The Guy
04-01-2008, 16:32

your not alone. I thought the filming was poor too. What's the point of having special effects just to make it incredibly jumpy? The whole point of the film was giant robots killing eachother, and if you screw that up you've screwed up the film.

cpl_hicks
04-01-2008, 21:43
One thing I don't get, though, is the little things: who moved the damned dummy? Was it the vamps?

Also, the ending: if the vamps were becoming more intelligent, by setting traps and such, then this gives the impression that they understood exactly what he was saying but they DIDN'T WANT IT. If this is the case, it does actually fit the closing stages of the novel.

I dont think that the zombies/vampires where intelligent persay, the trap used to capture neville was the same that he used to capture the zombie/vampire, i think that themale capture neville in this way because he had captured his mate, and thats why they didnt want the cure cause they where out for revenge

Damien 1427
04-01-2008, 21:47
Eh, your choice.
I liked it, and so did a whole slew of other people.

A slew of people like Titanic. People, as a rule, are muppets.

Spider
05-01-2008, 10:25
To me, there were too many flashbacks. It broke up the long periods of him being alone. There was a reason that Tom Hanks was able to get people to cry over a lost volleyball.

Oh Christ.

That film...that awefull film. I had managed to block that out of my memory, but now its been bought up didn't that have a terrible ending also?

As for Transformers, i loved it.

I am well aware of its limitations and flaws, and agree with most of criticsm levelled at it...but the fundamental point for me is that i grew up with the Transformers cartoons/toys. And despite being a man of 30+ years of age i felt like i was twelve again walking out of that film.

By far my favourite film of last year.

Although the whole "comedy robots hiding around house scene" was painfull.

Templar Ben
05-01-2008, 10:38
Spider I wasn't saying that Castaway was a great film but that by not breaking up the scenes of Tom alone you did get a better sense of the loneliness.

Doctor Thunder
06-01-2008, 00:40
A slew of people like Titanic. People, as a rule, are muppets.

Except you, of course, right? ;):angel:

cpl_hicks
06-01-2008, 00:49
Oh Christ.

That film...that awefull film. I had managed to block that out of my memory, but now its been bought up didn't that have a terrible ending also?

It had a sad ending, he didnt get Helen Hunt and so it has a good ending cause a hollywood film where the man dosent get his woman SHOCK HORROR

Spider
06-01-2008, 09:31
It had a sad ending, he didnt get Helen Hunt and so it has a good ending cause a hollywood film where the man dosent get his woman SHOCK HORROR

I am fine with sad endings...its just that as i remember things the film didn't even have an ending.

didnt it just finish with him looking at a signpost?

After spending what seemed like 20hrs in the sole company of Hanks i wanted a little more closure.

Wilson my ****.:)

Damien 1427
06-01-2008, 15:31
Except you, of course, right? ;):angel:

No, since I'm a people. :p I have enjoyed some particularly bad movies. Van Helsing, for one. Die Another Day, for another.

Marsekay
08-01-2008, 01:49
I have to say I am legend for a diff reason to everyone else. the chick anna? takes his 4x4 at the end to the colony. any one notcuie how damn shiny and clean it was when she puled up? it was covered in **** earlier on, whos gonna bother cleaning cars at that time???

Leviathan
08-01-2008, 12:01
Hello,

I reserve a special kind of hatred in my heart for the ending of 'War of the Worlds.' Speilburg remake.

And it's not because the Aliens die.

The pestilent 1
08-01-2008, 12:06
I have to say I am legend for a diff reason to everyone else. the chick anna? takes his 4x4 at the end to the colony. any one notcuie how damn shiny and clean it was when she puled up? it was covered in **** earlier on, whos gonna bother cleaning cars at that time???

I'd figured it was another car she'd loaded all his crap onto.
Not like there was a shortage of the things really.

Norminator
08-01-2008, 15:31
I'd figured it was another car she'd loaded all his crap onto.
Not like there was a shortage of the things really.

It was her car, the one she picked him up from the docks in (he rides in it as he's slipping in and out of consciousness on the way back). His car was destroyed by the infected.

twigg
08-01-2008, 16:10
[QUOTE]Oh, for Spidey 3, spidey stopping on the way to the final fight... right in front of a HUGE american flag, I almost pushed through the back of my chair at the cinema in a pure kneejerk response to get away from such overtly blatant symbols of "Go america, we're tha best! Hells yeah! Go america!", it's a small part of Spidey... but not a ******* "HUGE FLAG OMG LOLZ!"-part![/QUOTE

I'm all for the American flag being symbols in movies, but that was just way too far.

reds8n
08-01-2008, 17:16
[QUOTE]Oh, for Spidey 3, spidey stopping on the way to the final fight... right in front of a HUGE american flag, I almost pushed through the back of my chair at the cinema in a pure kneejerk response to get away from such overtly blatant symbols of "Go america, we're tha best! Hells yeah! Go america!", it's a small part of Spidey... but not a ******* "HUGE FLAG OMG LOLZ!"-part![/QUOTE.

Well as a Brit. i didn't take it as a "HAHAHAH AMERICA ROOLS!" More a way of saying " Look, yes we've done some bad stuff lately, but at the end of the day we will come through and try to do the right thing".

Almost as if they were trying to draw a parallel between spideys fall and redemption possibly ?
No ?
Oh, just me then.:eyebrows: