PDA

View Full Version : Ipod question.

Crazed_monkey
24-12-2007, 18:54
Hey,

I recently found my old Ipod [its battery died and I moved onto a samsung mp3] and I realised it has some great music that I have since lost in the mist of time.

So my question is this, can I transfer files from my ipod to my PC? Will I need to find the itunes cd and install that?

thanks,

starlight
24-12-2007, 18:57
iTunes is a free download last I checked. :)

With power, you *should* be able to retrieve your files (assuming nothing else has happened to it).

Brother Munro
24-12-2007, 19:54
iTunes won't do iPod -> PC but there are plenty of free apps out there that will, just Google for it :) Make sure that if iTunes asks you if you want to synchronise you say no

Norminator
24-12-2007, 20:19
I can't remember how to do it, but there is a simple way to do it without downloading any apps. I think you have to connect the iPod (this is all from memory when I did it about a year ago), then select in windows explorer on the iPod (after opening it up as whatever it is, H drive for me when I've plugged it in) 'display hidden files'. You should be able to find all the files there, albeit randomly put into folders and given code as names. If you copy them, say, to 'My Music', then reimport them to iTunes or another music playing piece of software it should then recognise them and give you all the old names back.

That's all from memory, so it may differ at some points.

Bombot
24-12-2007, 23:55
You can do it. Yes, you need to enable hidden files to be viewable. The files will look like nonsense on the iPod itself. Put all the files into the iTunes music folder, then find the setting within iTunes that enables it to sort files automatically when adding to the library. Then add the iTunes folder to the library. I think that's how I did it.

Google something like "transfer ipod to itunes" if you want more advice - there is some out there.

Neknoh
25-12-2007, 00:03
Figured since the question has been answered, I'll hijack this thread for a question of my own unless the op disagrees :)

Basically, I got an Ipod for christmas now (Nano), and I am wondering, is there any way to add single files without having to reset the entire Ipod's contents? I mean, I could take sync, but that would erease whats allready on it, would it not? I just find it annoying having to restock the iPod every time I find a new song I want to add

untimention
25-12-2007, 00:07
add a tune to the libary on itunes then sync

it doesnt delete its syncs with the itunes libary

and ps hook your old ipod up... go onto the ipod pic on the right highlight and copy what songs you want and then paste into your hard drive

Neknoh
25-12-2007, 00:09
However, me family has two computers, neither has the same music on it as the other (except for a certain few), then how do I keep whats on it when I go to a different iTunes?

Kodamas
25-12-2007, 09:29
Just turn off auto syncing and then drag and drop the music file onto your Ipod logo on the left hand side of Itunes.

Crazed_monkey
25-12-2007, 11:07
Thanks for the answers guys, Merry Cliff-mas!