PDA

View Full Version : The 5 model 2000 points tzeenthch army.

winkypinky
25-12-2007, 11:33
Chaos Lord.
Mark of Tzeentch.
Chaos Dragon, Flail, shield.
Staff of Change, Golden eye of Tzenntch.

Exalted Champion.
Mark of Tzeentch.
Chariot with mark of Tzeentch, flail.
Enchanted shield, Berserker sword.

Exalted champion..
Mark of Tzeentch.
Chariot with mark of Tzeentch, flail, shield.
Mirror of knowledge, dispel scroll.

Chariot of Chaos.
Mark of Tzeentch

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
Great weapon, light armour.

Total: 1975.

I have thought of building this army for fun, i have 2 chaos chariots and a shaggoth, i have parts for an other chariot + an elven chariot to make it work.
And a dragon is just something i always have around....
Could be fun for an extremely one sided army only taken out on occasion.

Any thoughts on upgrades?
Better magic item?
I have never played chaos before, so i dont reallly know what would be good..
But the models stands. 1 dragon 3 chariots and a shaggoth.
But i must admit i know nothing of the magic items, just took whatever seemed good.

BattleofLund
25-12-2007, 11:47
Exalted Champion.
Mark of Tzeentch.
Chariot with mark of Tzeentch, Great weapon.
Enchanted shield, Berserker sword.
'Serker Sword means gtwpn useless - get rid of.

Aspiring Champion.
Mark of Tzeentch, Army battle standard.
Chariot with mark of Tzeentch, shield.
Banner of Wrath.
Army Battle Standard means shield illegal - get rid of.

... but that's just nit-picking. The list makes an interesting variant, I'd probably warn my opponent beforehand though. *who am I kidding, I would totally spring it on him/them*

I would have tried to include the Mirror of Tzeentch, just so you won't get any nasty surprises. Change Banner of Wrath for the Mirror and a Dispel Scroll, for that really-annoying-must-be-stopped spell.
Merry Superstitious Holiday!

winkypinky
25-12-2007, 12:44
Thx for the comment
Yes i have looked a lot at the mirror and scroll...

And i will try it instead of a standard bearer.

Well the great weapon is for the chariot whacking and if someone "drains" his nice shiny sword. And i have 15 points to spare so there is no reasons to "cut it" Or do chariots also count as "mounted" and it only gives +1s and should be replaced with a halberd or flail?

BattleofLund
25-12-2007, 23:29
Yes, I really believe a character mounted on a chariot counts as mounted for using a great weapon. (No sarcasm, these things might be retconned without me noticing! ;)).

Also, having a magic weapon means he must use it, not his mundane side-arm. If you've already modelled a mundane weapon, keep it for that time you play your Hero without a magic weapon (low points, mostly).

IronBrother
26-12-2007, 02:22
I believe that you cannot buy a mundane weapon if you buy a magic weapon according to the brb. also, why not take flails on the champions as they create s7 attacks instead of s6 (due to their being mounted). Other than that I like the list, I think i've seen this once but with khorne. fun to see on the table - no happy mediums its a massacre either way. good luck

nikkcookie
28-12-2007, 12:51
i cant see your 2 core choices.
unless when characters on chariots count as core Do they i want to no now lol.

nikkcookie
28-12-2007, 12:51
oh and how much power dice is in that army?
other than that i like it

lector#1
28-12-2007, 13:03
its a very small funny list i would love to go against it but i can see you having problems against dwarfs and empire with their vast range of warmachines

but then again u have enough powerdice to screw those warmachines into little metal cubes.

and i do love the idea of such a small army
- not much to paint
- not as heavy on the pocket
- easy deployment and movement phase

let us know how this goes on the table

warlord hack'a
28-12-2007, 14:52
OMG.. Like someone said alreayd, this is kill or be killed, but overall if I am honest I think it will mainly be you getting killed (also as stated you need two more core choices to make it a legal list). Yes your general is well protected against shooting but your chariots are not, they are slow as they can not march and will be the primary target of any S7 shooting out there (and even S5 shooting can hurt it). But your main problem will be enemy sacrificial blocking units that will either hinder your movement or force you to charge in a direction you do not want to. So maybe the chariots are a waste of points, especially since you want to hang back a bit and zap the enemy to smithereens..

But besides that it's a surprising build and looks like fun!

Coenono
28-12-2007, 19:17
Im not sure about the core choice rule but what i would say is to loose the shaggoth. With the points if you do need another core another chariot would fit in fine and add more to your power dice pool. Also screamers would help you dispatch artilery quicker along with you terror causeing dragon and rider. Also in this army i dont think you would benifit form a standard bearer i to would suggest you use him for some magic defense. I dont think youll have the points for it but a unit of minotaurs could do good for you as well. But this would add to your model count.

It sure would be fun to play though

EvC
28-12-2007, 19:49
All the core choices are covered, and you may indeed purchase normal weapons on top of magic weapons- but you'll always be forced to use the magic weapon in combat (unless it's made useless). Flails would be a good idea for your mounted characters, though I'd drop the magic weapons to be honest. But then I'd also put in some extra units and make the list more fun to use and play against, but that's just me ;)

Shamfrit
30-12-2007, 10:23
That dragon, in such a small line, will get alot of firepower directed at it; a stupid amount in fact. Funny against horde armies, the return damage ratio would be something like break even, even at 30 models lost to every wound inflicted on your units lol.

I'd love to play against this, EXCEPT for the Terror bit :(

winkypinky
30-12-2007, 13:47
Well os someone said obove this is a kill or get killed army.
And i have played to games with it. 2 massacres one for me and one for my opponent. (we played 2 games) after the first game the wow only 5 models shock was kinda gone i think.
But i am happy for the army. After all i build it out of "spare" parts. Even though i havnt build the dragon yet. (used a HE dragon)

Wreckage
30-12-2007, 16:31
cannonballs...

warlord hack'a
02-01-2008, 11:42
the core choices are not taken care of.. Chariots taken as mounts for characters do not count towards the slots they come from.. So in the O&G case, I can field 4 chariots as special choices and up to 4 additional chariots as character mounts (As these do not count as special choices).

This leads me to believe that in the list mentioned here you still need two more core choices..

EvC
02-01-2008, 11:49
That's the Orc army book, this is the Chaos army book we're talking about. In older books including Chaos you buy the chariot in the slot they appear in and then mount a character upon it (So you buy the Core Chariot, then buy the character and mount the character). In newer army books like Orcs and High Elves it's different and you buy the chariot as a mount for the character without it taking up any troops slots.

warlord hack'a
02-01-2008, 15:15
you got me there.. Well, till the new chaos book is out (no idea when it is due) I expect you are fine with these 5 models then.. Stil I think that combining chariots with magic heavy is a strange combination as one wants to rumble forward and engage and the other wants to hang back and zap a lot..

gerrymander61
03-01-2008, 13:02
Honestly, this is the only army that i would refuse to play. Thorek gunlines, tremonic legion + BSB, Flying circuses, come what may, i'll play against whatever people consider to be cheesy because personally, i don't believe in cheese. However, I draw the line at lists like this because they are not 'armies.' Lists like this remind us of why we are no longer in 5th edition.

theunwantedbeing
03-01-2008, 13:33
Nothing really wrong with the army.
It's not that powerful really and a balanced list should be able to quite easily pick it apart piece by piece, lead by a decent general of course.

Adding more troops would give greater flexibility and more options available to you.
Making the game more interesting and as a result "more fun".

Ignore Gerrymander61 and his comments.
Nothing in your list is anything like the herohammer stuff that existed in 5th edition, not even the lord on dragon (who needs to be used very carefully to get real use of his abilities).

Im sure if you used it for a few game you'de find yourself wanting to add troops to the list and make it noticably larger modelwise just to give additional options for tactics.

Disciple of Caliban
03-01-2008, 13:38
Dont take it so seriously gerrymander, even you've got to admit you'd get a chuckle out of seeing your opponent deploy only 5 models.

As has been stated, in the old books chariots were bought as seperate choices not mounts, so core is covered.

I dont recall the rules, but if possible give you shaggoth a mark (i seem to think only the lord choice could do this though, and then you'd lose that dragon, so if thats the case dont take a mark)

As for the suggestion of dropping the shaggoth dont do it, its one of my favourite models and all armies should include it (of course the hell cannon is just as 'pretty', and could be fun to use)

Champs should get flails, chariots are mounts, hence no +2 strength. and you only want to be in combat for one round anyway.

Have fun with the list, i've toyed with similar ideas myself (but then decide i need 100 models to deploy or i'll get sad), just let your opponent know before hand, otherwise they may not be happy.

warlord hack'a
03-01-2008, 13:55
ah, the good old days of 5th edition, where my svg orc general with hydra blade dished out 8 d6 attacks (or was it 8 attacks and each succesful hit becoming d6 hits, can't recall). Those were nasty times I recall, much more like the game now where static CR is important.

Therefore I say, bring on this 5 model list, I think you will have a hard time winning with it versus a more balanced enemy with fully ranked up units.

EvC
03-01-2008, 15:45
There's a fella who always brings a very similar list with him to an annual tournament, and I've never seen him get anywhere close to winning, despite years of experience and the list... balanced armies do indeed crush it.

Slayerthane
03-01-2008, 18:01
I think this would be an interesting army to play against. Like someone already said, you will have trouble with dwarves who are probably the best army at magic defense. I could think up an army still with enough CC goodness to give you a challenge but have 10 dispel dice and 4+ dispel scrolls. I think the lack of CR will be your biggest problem. Sure each model can throw out alot of attacks but alone I think you'll have a hard time breaking units even with the dragon.

I'd play against it with either my dwarves or the empire army I want to start putting together. Armies like this are more of a one trick pony though, and you'll probably get tired of the same old tactics sooner than you think. Still I like the idea of an army with only 5 models, since I'm definitely not the fastest painter.

Little Aaad
04-01-2008, 10:45
just use it. tiza cool list

Jbasciani
06-01-2008, 02:48
well i prefere use more core unit, because few unit is not a good idea....
for example i very like horror unit because their use good magic and stuck unit

lovewych
21-01-2008, 16:33
why have so many people missed the point of this list? "oh, i'd take more units". It's supposed to be an army with as few models as possible in it. My Wood Elves would need to have 14 models to make 2000pts. 10 Glade Riders, a Treeman and 3 characters. Anyone else make it shorter?

winkypinky
21-01-2008, 16:46
wasnt this on page 7 or something ?