PDA

View Full Version : The best movies of 2007.

Vodevil
26-12-2007, 00:11
With the year winding down, the onslaught of top ten lists is upon us. This thread is where we throw our hats into the ring, what are your top ten movies of 2007?

For me:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Sweeny Todd
3. Eastern Promises
4. Gone Baby Gone
5. Zodiac
6. I'm Not There
7. Superbad
8. 3-10 to Yuma
9. Waitress
10. Once

This was, at least IMO a strong year for movies... Last year was weak for me, my favorite movie from then was The Departed, which I thought was only good not great. This year it would have had a hard time cracking my top 10!

That said, No Country is #1 easily. After there everything is very close and only separated by the smallest amount. Every movie here I really liked, after the summer of Transformers and other junk we got tons of good stuff this winter, my favorite year for movies in a long time.

Dirty Fingers
26-12-2007, 02:21
Stardust, No Country for Old Men, Eastern Promises, and American Gangster all get the nod from me.

Penitent
26-12-2007, 03:25
Ratatouille was one of my faves for the year. That doesn't say much for movies in 07, IMO, but I did think it was genuinely good.

Rescue Dawn was also high on my list.

My fave for the year, though, was Into the Wild.

firestorm40k
26-12-2007, 05:20
Alas, in the 8+ plus months we've been living in France I've only been able to see one film (Transformers), which was dubbed in French (in this case, no big deal - 'cause I could've been watching it in sanskrit and still enjoyed it).

But I saw plenty of films before that, the stand-outs being:

- Hot Fuzz (Pegg/Wright/Frost do it again!)
- Last King of Scotland (outstanding acting from Whitaker and McAvoy, who is now Britain's greatest young actor)
- Sunshine (supeerb special effects & atmosphere, shame they nearly ruin it in the daft final act)

Other than that, the movies I wish I'd seen this year were Spider-Man 3, The Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, Superbad, Sicko, Ratatouille, and Atonement. Thank goodness there's always DVD!

feelnopain666
26-12-2007, 05:30
I think that the movie industry is becoming boring and with lack of inovation. nowadays its always remakes of sequels, but I must confess that I enjoy some of them. My list for the best movies are:
-Sicko (Michael Moore as done again!)
-Hot fuzz (no words needed LOL)
-Highlander, the animation movie (from the creators of Ninja Scroll)
-Rebuild of Evangelion (I've seen the Japonese version without subtitles :( )

superknijn
26-12-2007, 08:43
Ah, yes Sicko. Although I don't really agree with mi on the political level, he has a very European way of bringing his message, that makes me smile.

chromedog
26-12-2007, 10:28
I only saw two movies this year due to constraints, and neither of them were what I'd call a 'great' movie. OTOH, I didn't pay to see either of them so I've at least got that.
I did like Transformers, but I've never been a real fan of the whole transforming robots thing. Nothing that I saw the trailers for had that indefinable something that made me want to go out and see it again.

ArtificerArmour
26-12-2007, 11:08
I liked Transformers and Spidey 3. What, leave me alone!

300 too.

Vodevil
26-12-2007, 13:06
I think that the movie industry is becoming boring and with lack of inovation.

You should see more movies then ;), there is a lot of fresh stuff out there... You have to go beyond the blockbusters though.

Damien 1427
26-12-2007, 13:50
Hot Fuzz.

Nothing released this year can come close.

Chaos and Evil
26-12-2007, 14:40
I liked Transformers and Spidey 3. What, leave me alone!

Nope, you need a slap for liking a pair of very hollow films.

The pestilent 1
26-12-2007, 15:00

Giant robots kick the crap out of other giant robots, plus some F22 raptors.
What the hell where you people expecting when you saw it, for a fat chick to come out and tell you it's over? :wtf:

Loved Transformers (It fit my expectations of "Giant robots" you see. :rolleyes: )
Everything else was pretty forgettable for me, yes, even Hot Fuzz (which I'm not convinced came out this year? ) Which, while enjoyable, was nothing compared to Shaun of The Dead.

Oh, Black Sheep!
I laughed til I cried, then laughed some more, the moans of anguish from the middle teens around me was just as enjoyable too.

Bloodthirster90
26-12-2007, 15:39
Transformers would definately be in my list if I had one. Haven't seen 300 yet (please don't kill me) but that would be in there anyway if only for a few lines. You all know them, don't act like you don't.
Lemme see...I didn't get to see many films this year, sadly. I never do.

Kohhna
26-12-2007, 15:46
Stardust and Control for me. (Control, if you don't know it, is a biopic about Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division)

Adept
26-12-2007, 16:00
Stardust was very cool.

Transformers was awesome. Shallow? Sure. I like my films to be entertaining, not preachy or full of deap and meaningful crap. On that note;

The Bourne Supremacy was fantastic.

Die Hard 4.0 was grouse.

Ratatouille was cool.

Haven't seen AvP: Requiem yet, and I hope I'm not being too optimistic, but I think it will be all kinds of awesome.

I don't know if it was released this year, but Hot Fuzz was hilarious.

Vodevil
26-12-2007, 16:43
What the hell where you people expecting when you saw it, for a fat chick to come out and tell you it's over? :wtf:

I knew exactly what to expect, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Transformers was awesome. Shallow? Sure. I like my films to be entertaining, not preachy or full of deap and meaningful crap.

Just because something has a level of intelligence to it doesn't mean it can't also be entertaining. For some of us, a movie being intelligent or meaningful is entertaining. Of course it goes the other way to, I'm just saying...

Hot Fuzz was 2007, I liked it, I even own it... I wouldn't put it in my top 10 though, maybe somewhere around 20?

Kodamas
26-12-2007, 17:28
300 - Visually fantastic. Not the rippling abs but the blood etc.
Hot Fuzz -Hilarious
Last King of Scotland - All round good movie.
Stardust - Great cast a feel good film.
Knocked up - V.Funny. Childish humor but still a good light watcher.

To be honest I have recently not been enamored with the films I have seen in the last 2 months. Looking forward to 2008 and better selection hopefully.

EmperorNorton
26-12-2007, 17:44
The best movie of the year for me was Pan's Labyrinth. Although I know it is from 2006, it was released here last February.
Stardust comes in second, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry third.

The bottom three are Pathfinder, Transformers and Beowulf.

Movies I still want to see: Juno and Lars and the Real Girl. And it looks like I should add Hot Fuzz to the list.
Oh, and I want to see Enchanted, but I'll wait for the DVD so I can watch it in English.

floyd pinkerton
26-12-2007, 17:46
well, I personally enjoyed Transformers and 300 this year.

I guess that means I fall into the "Damage-Loving Thickie" category:p

The pestilent 1
26-12-2007, 17:58
I knew exactly what to expect, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Just because something has a level of intelligence to it doesn't mean it can't also be entertaining. For some of us, a movie being intelligent or meaningful is entertaining. Of course it goes the other way to, I'm just saying...

Hot Fuzz was 2007, I liked it, I even own it... I wouldn't put it in my top 10 though, maybe somewhere around 20?

And, that my friend, is fine.

I'm used to no one listening to what I'm saying, even if it does make sense, so, I shall clarify.

Don't like it because you don't like action movies, fair enough.
Don't like it because you expect ninety minutes of indepth philosophical discussion on the pros and cons of the decepticon way of life -idiotic.

Edit: And by the way, if I want a philosophical discussion, I'll do it through the only medium that can. Books.
So you go back to your 90 minutes of pseudo philosophy.
/ Veiled insult :rolleyes:

Drogmir
26-12-2007, 19:36
I'm weird, I thought 300 was stupid as hell.

I did enjoy Sweeney Todd a lot though.

Damien 1427
26-12-2007, 19:42
I'm weird, I thought 300 was stupid as hell.

Yes, yes you are (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/21).

I didn't enjoy Transformers, despite liking Transformers (And being able to actually like the so-called "bayformers"), dumb action movies and plenty of explosions. I just think Bay is a crap director and his camera work is shoddy as hell.

RampagingRavener
26-12-2007, 19:43
Hmm. I doubt there's going to be anything paticularly original here, but what the hell.

The sections of Transformers which didn't have many humans in them were stupidly awsome, both visually amazing and very entertaining. It had some moments which even rivaled the old Cartoon movie, and the new designs all worked.

It's just a shame that the rom-com (even though, being a hollywood movie, the romantic sideplot was inescapable) and horrible comedy (I mean, come on, masturbation jokes? What was their target audience, twelve year olds?) sections ruined the film for me. An action movie, with about 35 minutes of Action and well over an hour of claggy filling, isn't an action movie in my books. It's a whatever-genre movie with some Action tagged on.

Other than that, 300, Die Hard 4, and Hot Fuzz were all fantastic. Beowulf and Ratatouille were pretty good as well; Ratatouillie suprised me, I was dragged along by a couple of mates but ended up really liking it. Beowulf was entertaining enough, I guess, but would have been better live-acted. Overall best film had to be Hot Fuzz though.

Vodevil
26-12-2007, 21:34
Don't like it because you don't like action movies, fair enough.

I love action movies actually, really there aren't many movies I don't like... Big special effects movies just don't do anything for me.

der_lex
26-12-2007, 22:39
I'm surprised at all the Stardust love...then again, I hated it because it's a really bad adaptation of a great book/graphic novel, and wasn't able to look beyond that.

I don't really have a top ten, but Transformers, Sunshine, Ratatouille, Eastern promises and Michael Clayton were all movies I really enjoyed this year. The latter was the biggest surprise of the bunch...wasn't expecting much, and ended up with a fantastic, smart movie with great performances.

The pestilent 1
26-12-2007, 22:48
(I mean, come on, masturbation jokes? What was their target audience, twelve year olds?)

Yes, actually :p

Vodevil: Again, I gotta ask, why, if you don't like special effects, did you go see a film about giant transforming alien robots that blow each other up?

Edit: for the record, I liked the human interaction - I realistically understand it has to be there, and I go with that flow.
And I know I'm doggedly defending the film, and I really am apologetic if I'm coming off as an **** hatish fanboy here, I really just don't see where you're coming from (Which is quite probably just me :) )

EmperorNorton
26-12-2007, 22:57
I'm surprised at all the Stardust love...then again, I hated it because it's a really bad adaptation of a great book/graphic novel, and wasn't able to look beyond that.

The book is much better, but I still found the movie very enjoyable.
Apart from the big and unnecessary fight scene I didn't think the adaptation was bad.

Vodevil
26-12-2007, 22:59
Vodevil: Again, I gotta ask, why, if you don't like special effects, did you go see a film about giant transforming alien robots that blow each other up?

Edit: for the record, I liked the human interaction - I realistically understand it has to be there, and I go with that flow.
And I know I'm doggedly defending the film, and I really am apologetic if I'm coming off as an **** hatish fanboy here, I really just don't see where you're coming from (Which is quite probably just me :) )

I work/study in the film industry, so I'll see basically anything just to keep up with what's going on. Besides, how can you say you don't like something if you haven't seen it? :D

John Wayne II
27-12-2007, 00:05
Yes, actually :p

The first time I watched Transformers I enjoyed it (I watched it at the cinema). I couldn't finish it by the second time, it was too cringe worthy. I could ignore the flaws the first time round because it was on the cinema, and I was trying to enjoy it, not expecting too much of it. When I had time to have a better look all the flaws came to the fore like ugly genital warts: the crap characterisation, shoddy acting, schizophrenic camera work, the cliches, the "comic" moments...ugh. The robots were nothing more than poorly drawn stereotypes; the most obvious example of this is Jazz, the "cool" black dude who is, rather inevitably, the first to get killed. The All Spark was little more than clunky "let's move the plot foward" device. The romance felt shoehorned in and pointless. I could go on and on but I won't, it would take too much space. :p

So to conclude: Transformers is a crap movie. Get over it :D. Incidentally, if you want to watch a good movie about a giant, stompy robot watch The Iron Giant. Criminally underlooked, and the fact that it's a "children's" movie doesn't take away from the fact that it's bloody fantastic.

RampagingRavener
27-12-2007, 00:14
Incidentally, if you want to watch a good movie about a giant, stompy robot watch The Iron Giant. Criminally underlooked, and the fact that it's a "children's" movie doesn't take away from the fact that it's bloody fantastic.

Damn! I saw that when it was released in the cinemas when I was about 10, though the place was deserted. Glad to know someone else's seen it and remembers the film. Something else to get added onto the list of DVD's I'm needing to pick up eventually. :p

der_lex
27-12-2007, 02:19
The book is much better, but I still found the movie very enjoyable.
Apart from the big and unnecessary fight scene I didn't think the adaptation was bad.

There were just too many things that made the book special to me that were either missing, or changed for the worse. The dumbed down, Hollywoodised ending was the biggest eyesore, but it was only the tip of the iceberg for me.

thegnome
27-12-2007, 07:07
Away From Her, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Stardust, Juno, The Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, Ratatouille

Still yet to be seen: No Country For Old Men, Control, I'm Not There, Charlie Wilson's War

All in all, I was more pleased with movies this year than I have been in a while.

firestorm40k
27-12-2007, 16:31
I liked Transformers... What, leave me alone!

What the hell where you people expecting when you saw it, for a fat chick to come out and tell you it's over?

Transformers was awesome. Shallow? Sure. I like my films to be entertaining, not preachy or full of deap and meaningful crap.
To be honest, I expected this to be the worst film ever, to have my childhood completely raped, but it was fun, entertaining, and ticked all the right boxes for a summer blockbuster. Sure, there were a number of human related sub-plots that needed scrapping from the outset, and it still galls me that you virtually had to wait 2/3 of the film to get to the robot-on-robot carnage, but when it got there, it delivered big style. If they can lose the weaknesses and boost these strengths for the sequel, then it'll be really great :D

MampiSwift
27-12-2007, 18:53
2. Sweeny Todd

I thought this is coming out next year?

Vodevil
27-12-2007, 21:35
I thought this is coming out next year?

Nope, it came out on the 21st here.

der_lex
27-12-2007, 22:29
It won't be out until next year in Europe, though. February for Belgium, no idea about other countries. Still waiting on No Country for Old Men as well...

Vodevil
27-12-2007, 23:33
It won't be out until next year in Europe, though. February for Belgium, no idea about other countries. Still waiting on No Country for Old Men as well...

That sucks, because both of those a fantastic, and their respective directors best films IMO.

Wintermute
28-12-2007, 07:03
Best film of 2007?

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (its officially a 2007 release :D)

Everything else released this year pales into insignificance in comparison with Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

Drogmir
28-12-2007, 07:21
Best film of 2007?

Everything else released this year pales into insignificance in comparison with Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

except for Children of Men

Damn that's good

Vodevil
28-12-2007, 13:42
Best film of 2007?

I almost agree, although I just can't count it as a release for this year... Just as I wouldn't count Apocalypse Now: Redux. If I where however, I would have it at #1, although I think No Country and Todd are in the same league.

Steel_Legion
28-12-2007, 15:43
3:10 to Yuma is my fave this year, great film if you like cowboy films (NOT brokeback...). Reminds me, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly are on Channel 5 soon... watch!

Freak Ona Leash
28-12-2007, 16:13
SWEENEY TODD!

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, IN THE FACE OF BURTON'S MASTERPIECE?!

Ahem...sorry for that. Saw it last night with me other half, stunningly good movie. Great musical, usually I'm not one for them, but this was awesome.

Goq Gar
28-12-2007, 16:25
"YOU CAN'T KILL PEOPLE WITH A CARROT!"

So yeah, shoot em up. And before the film quote Experts unquote begin telling me it was a tragedy of cinema that didn't deserve a bit of the praise it got, i'll remind you the point of a movie is to ENTERTAIN. I was not entertained by much of the tripe that clawed its way then smeared itself onto the big screen this year, but Shoot em up did. Who cares if it's 72 minutes of gunfire, 8 minutes of dialogue (interrupted by gunfire), 4 minutes of erotica (again interrupted by gunfire) and 6 minutes of credits (which, somehow, reminded me of gunfire).

Lets face it, when's the last time you saw a movie and awed at the ridiculous yet oh-so epicness of a fight scene? 300? Too right! 300 would be my second choice, along side 28 weeks later.

Lord Inquisitor
28-12-2007, 16:49
Okay, my favourite films of 2007 (yet to see Sweeny Todd):

1) Daywatch. Utterly awesome fantasy. If you've not seen Nightwatch (Daywatch is the sequel) then see it.
2) The Fountain. Seen a lot of people slagging this off, but I loved it.
3) Transformers. I don't care that there were a lot of bits that could've been better, I thoroughly enjoyed that film. Made me feel eight again!
4) Grindhouse. While the best bits were the fake trailers, this was really good.
5) The Lookout. Nice, edgy off-hollywood.
6) Curse of the Golden Flower. Not what I was expecting, but a terrific story all the same.
7) Perfect Creatures. This one seemed to slip under the radar, but made for a marvellous steampunk/victorian sci-fi/vampire flick.
8) 300. Not quite as good as I was hoping (, but still awesomely atmospherically cool.
9) No Country for Old Men. Still undecided if I liked the ending, but brutal stuff.
10) The Lives of Others. Not quite as good as everyone seems to be making out, but pretty damn good all the same.

Vodevil
28-12-2007, 17:12
Lets face it, when's the last time you saw a movie and awed at the ridiculous yet oh-so epicness of a fight scene?

All the time... I could probably think of at least 20 movies off the top off my head like that. Shoot Em Up was fun, but if you've ever watched a John Woo movie you've see it all x10. ;)

Wintermute
28-12-2007, 18:00
except for Children of Men

Which doesn't count because it was released in 2006 :p

Icarus
28-12-2007, 18:59
Best action film was 300.
Best comedy for me was Knocked Up.
Random mention for The Painted Veil. Don't normally like movies like that but it was brilliant and Ed Norton is god! :p

Drogmir
28-12-2007, 19:03
Which doesn't count because it was released in 2006 :p

but wasn't blade runner release in the 80's?

So really none of them came out in 07. :p

der_lex
28-12-2007, 23:21
The Fountain isn't from 2007 either... otherwise it would've easily topped my list.

And I agree that Shoot 'em Up was a heck of a lot of fun.

CauCaSus
29-12-2007, 00:29
I was going to say The Departed, but I realized everyone except Norway saw that in 2006 :p

I thought I Am Legend was really good. Just got back from it incidentily :o

Drogmir
29-12-2007, 07:16
I was going to say The Departed, but I realized everyone except Norway saw that in 2006 :p

I thought I Am Legend was really good. Just got back from it incidentily :o

Too bad I Am Legend's ending completely screwed over the ending from the book and the entire meaning of the words I Am Legend. Damn Hollywood and their script rewrites

Wintermute
29-12-2007, 07:48
but wasn't blade runner release in the 80's?

Blade Runner was released in 1982

Blade Runner: The Director's Cut was released in 1992

and

Blade Runner: The Final Cut was released in 2007.

Drogmir
29-12-2007, 07:51
Blade Runner was released in 1982

Blade Runner: The Director's Cut was released in 1992

and

Blade Runner: The Final Cut was released in 2007.

But the movie was still released in the 80's

If someone released a super special edition of the star wars movies (again) would that mean the movie is suddenly in the best of 07 list?

Wintermute
29-12-2007, 08:13
But the movie was still released in the 80's

If someone released a super special edition of the star wars movies (again) would that mean the movie is suddenly in the best of 07 list?

Yes it would, because that is the year the version was officially released.

Remembering the title of this thread is The best movies of 2007 ;)

And BTW I specifically mentioned the Final Cut of Blade Runner, not the 1982 version (and the films are different :p).

Drogmir
29-12-2007, 08:17
Yes it would, because that is the year the version was officially released.

Remembering the title of this thread is The best movies of 2007 ;)

And BTW I specifically mentioned the Final Cut of Blade Runner, not the 1982 version (and the films are different :p).

Oh I see exploiting loop holes I see :D

Wintermute
29-12-2007, 08:34

Well, I wouldn't put like that, but I am technically correct. :p

firestorm40k
29-12-2007, 11:50

Well, I wouldn't put like that, but I am technically correct. :p

Yeah, I wouldn't be one to argue this point with one of the head moderators, either... :p

Lord Inquisitor
29-12-2007, 18:19
The Fountain isn't from 2007 either... otherwise it would've easily topped my list.
Was released in Jan 2007 in the UK...:p

Freak Ona Leash
29-12-2007, 19:32
Yeah, I wouldn't be one to argue this point with one of the head moderators, either... :p
Hah, their all pansies, them head moderators! If they weren't would I still be here-*is bludgeoned to death by the Holy Slapstick of Banitude* ;)

der_lex
29-12-2007, 20:09
Was released in Jan 2007 in the UK...:p

Yes, and it was released even later over here... but it's the original US release date that counts, and that was in 2006. If you see Citizen Kane for the first time tonday, that still doesn't make it a 2007 release :p

Shadowseer Crofty
29-12-2007, 20:59
The Sweeney Todd thing, how come america got it first? Wasn't the original story british (considering fleet street is in London)?
back on topic
I've not seen that many films this year, so my top however many until I reach ten or run out of films are

1)Disturbia
2)Hot Fuzz
3)Transformers (so I enjoyed the mindless carnage, and when that wasn't happening was admiring Mikaela or the aussie computer woman. so shoot me, preferably with something large and highly explosive)
4)Rush Hour 3
5)Big Nothing
6)The Simpsons
7)Superbad
erm, cant think of any more movies that I've seen this year. All of those on the list are bloody good films though, I havent seen a bad film this year (or at least not one that came out this year).

Vodevil
29-12-2007, 21:49
The Sweeney Todd thing, how come america got it first? Wasn't the original story british (considering fleet street is in London)?

It's an american movie though, so even though origin of source material doesn't really matter in this instance.

Sekhmet
29-12-2007, 21:49
- Sunshine (supeerb special effects & atmosphere, shame they nearly ruin it in the daft final act)

"YOU CAN'T KILL PEOPLE WITH A CARROT!"

So yeah, shoot em up. And before the film quote Experts unquote begin telling me it was a tragedy of cinema that didn't deserve a bit of the praise it got, i'll remind you the point of a movie is to ENTERTAIN. I was not entertained by much of the tripe that clawed its way then smeared itself onto the big screen this year, but Shoot em up did. Who cares if it's 72 minutes of gunfire, 8 minutes of dialogue (interrupted by gunfire), 4 minutes of erotica (again interrupted by gunfire) and 6 minutes of credits (which, somehow, reminded me of gunfire).

Lets face it, when's the last time you saw a movie and awed at the ridiculous yet oh-so epicness of a fight scene? 300? Too right! 300 would be my second choice, along side 28 weeks later.

These two people said it. Sunshine, Shoot 'em Up and 28 Weeks Later.