PDA

View Full Version : Orc 'Ard Boyz campaign army

Avian
26-12-2007, 14:12
A new year (well, soon anyway), a new campaign season. This time I will be running an 'Ard Boyz list. Now, as the old 'Ard Boyz list doesn't work very well with the 7th edition rules (and isn't allowed in the campaign anyway), I will be limiting myself to units and characters allowed in the old list, but otherwise using the 7th edition book. Thus it will be:

Races: Black Orcs, common Orcs, common Goblins (war machine crews only, and only if they are watched by an Orc Bully), Trolls and Giants.
Unit types: Any, but with an empasis on elite combat units (Big 'Uns and Black Orcs) and fighter characters more than shamans.

For the first campaign round, restrictions will probably as follows:

1000 pts
1 character
2+ core units
0-2 special units OR 0-1 special unit and 0-1 rare unit

Here is my takes on it so far:

Alternative 1
Black Orc Big Boss @ 132 pts
-Axe, ha, sh, boar
23 Orc Boyz @ 168 pts
-ch, sh, fc
25 Orc Big 'Uns @ 330 pts
-sp, sh, fc, Banner of Butchery
10 Orc Boyz @ 75 pts
-ach, mus
2x 10 Arrerz @ 65 pts each
-mus
Boar Chariots @ 80 pts
2 Spear Chukkas @ 40 pts each
-bullies
995 pts

Alternative 2
Black Orc Big Boss @ 196 pts
-Axe, ha, sh, chariot
25 Orc Boyz @ 180 pts
-ch, sh, fc
24 Orc Boyz @ 198 pts
-sp, sh (OR ach), fc
2x 10 Arrerz @ 65 pts each
-mus
12 Black Orcs @ 211 pts
-sh, std, mus, any 25 pt banner
2 Spear Chukkas @ 40 pts each
-bullies
995 pts

Thoughts on this?

Maximus Lucifer
26-12-2007, 14:27
i like the first list better...the boar on the boss is better than boss on a chariot IMHO

Disciple of Caliban
26-12-2007, 14:36
i like list 2, but thats because black orcs rule, and it aint really a ard boys list without them.

Another option in small games is to use Borgut, assuming your campaign has no rules against such things he's a very powerful hero in small games, the model is great (better than grimgor in my opinion), and it shows your lads follow grimgor.

Avian
26-12-2007, 14:52
I can't use special characters, no. Or Dogs or War, for that matter.

Treant
26-12-2007, 16:55
Do you mind if I mix the 2 a bit

I really like the Blorc General in a Orc Boyz unit, in fact in a bigun unit since he's your only animosity mitigator and it means 2 units auto "GO" when the Waaagh! is called. Many people dislike the cost of BigUns but they are about twice as effective in close combat as their smaller brethren.

The Blorc on Boar is my choice for your hero and I believe in the Akrit Axe is all he needs for his magic kit.
Blorc Hero, Boar, HA, Shield, Akrit Axe 132pts

Using your model choices I would then get:
24 Big un's, Shield, Banner and Musician 245 pts.
25 Orc Boyz, Shield, FC 180pts
10 Arrer Boyz Musician 65pts
10 Arrer Boyz Musician 65pts

Special I went with
15 Blorcs Shield, Std, Mus, 228pts (could chuck a couple for magic banner)
2 Chuckas with Bullies 80pts

995 pts, 95 models.

Avian
26-12-2007, 17:15
Yeees, but that would leave me with nothing moving more than 4", other than when the Waaagh! is called, which I am a bit dubious about. I'm very fond of boar chariots and would prefer to at least have something that was remotely fast.

Treant
26-12-2007, 18:50
You do make a valid point but with only the chariot running around and moving less than your infantry march is that enough to spear head any offensive operation? Or are you more likely going to leave the chariot back with your boyz? I've followed some of your treads in the past and I know you understand the OnG army, perhaps you really want a 5 man with musician boar unit in there to make that chariot flexible..

I have to say I would be hard pressed to come up with solid tactics at this point level without fast cav and disposable goblin units (other than "Forward Boyz" that is).

Avian
26-12-2007, 20:40
Heh, it's not so much for spearheading attacks, rather it will be able to threaten a great range of units, whereas my other units are mostly just a threat for enemy units directly in front of them and quite close.

Having fielded a mounted list for the last half year, I will not be taking a small unit of Boar Boyz. I can see their value as a bodyguard for a character, but I have little faith in small units working on their own (if only they were Core, and cheaper). ;)