PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing Controversy

truthsayer
27-12-2007, 10:53
Just a quick question on fleeing troops.

lets say a unit of goblins (unit A) breaks from combat from a unit of swordmasters (unit B) and outruns the pursuers. In the next turn (high elf turn) the swordmasters divert their attention to a unit of orcs (unit C) and so give up moving after the goblins (A). There is however a unit of reavers (unit D) that are within 15" of the night goblins and decide to run them down.

1) Do the Reavers have to declare a charge against the night goblins or can the reavers just move over the unit of night goblins and remove them as caught?

2) If the reavers do charge the night goblins do the night goblins (who are already fleeing) roll another flee move, and if they roll 4 or more are then not caught (the reavers are 15" away remember)?

3) Are the Orcs in for a world of pain?

basically we have been playing that if a unit outruns its original pursuers if another unit can move over the fleeing unit it is dead and removed. I have had quite a few units lost to this and so decided to look in the rulebook and could find nothing stating this was true. most of the time my units have been over-run by eagles or units of fast cavalry that couldnt even see the unit let alone charge.

some answers please?

Masque
27-12-2007, 11:02
You can't simply move into/over a fleeing unit. You have to declare a charge against them. Fleeing units that get charged automatically flee again. If you're charge move is enough to catch them at that point then they are wiped out.

truthsayer
27-12-2007, 12:03
You can't simply move into/over a fleeing unit. You have to declare a charge against them. Fleeing units that get charged automatically flee again. If you're charge move is enough to catch them at that point then they are wiped out.

Thanks very much, I thought it was a bit stupid that my fleeing unit could just get trampled on without rolling to flee again. Ive lost loads of big units this way.

Cheers

Atrahasis
27-12-2007, 12:30
The rule that prevents this is the 1" rule; that is that opposing units cannot come within an inch of each other unless charging.