PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Chapter

Black Antelope
27-12-2007, 12:50
I have recently (ie today) come into possestion of around 1-1.5Kp of Marines. There prevose owner had painted only a few, and I plan to redo them all. All I need is a chapter. Firstly, I do not want to make up my own. I will gladly, and want to, write fluff for a company, but I dont want to do it for a chapter. Also I want a less commonly seen chapter (becuase I have seen and played about 2 BT, 2 SW, 3 assorted DA, 5 own chapter w/o much fluff and 8 ultramarines.)
SO, I have narrowed it down to 8 chapters, and have a few ideas of pros and cons, but from their I need some help with the list of pro's and cons'. As you can tell from the list of chaptors, I like the Badab upriseing (3 chapters listed took part). Also I want my armys to be fluffy, and balanced if possible.

Angels of RedemptionLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Angels_of_Redemption)
Pro
· Old – 2nd founding of DA
Con
· Hard paint scheme (halved)
· Little fluff

ExecutionersLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Executioners)
Pro
· In the Badab uprising
· Good, open ended fluff (company on unending voyage to ogyrn planet, fighting off pirates and attackers
· Colour scheme on Lex looks better
Con
· Hard paint scheme (wavy stuff)

Sons of GullimanLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sons_of_Guilliman)
Pro
· Look so cool
· Same scheme as my SoB’s
Con
· Hard paint scheme (quartered)
· Ultramarine successor
· Same scheme as my SoB’s

SalamandersLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Salamanders)
Pro
· Easier paint scheme
· Power hammers!
· Flamy/melty goodness
· Nice fluff
· Chance for lots of CC termies
· 10 strong squads
· I can finally field a quad-melt battery
Genuinly nice marines, the closest thing you can get to humanitarien (ie they care about normal humans)
Con
· No land speeders =(
· OMG, if I have to paint scaly tanks…

Scythes of the EmperorLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Scythes_of_the_Emperor)
Pro
· Easier paint scheme
· Fought the ‘nids – army to army trophies
Con
· Lots of Black painting

Hawk LordsLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hawk_Lords)
Pro
· Easier paint scheme
Con
· No fluff

LamentersLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lamenters)
Pro
· Fought the ‘nids – army to army trophies
· Easier paint scheme
· In the Badab uprising
· Horribly unlucky and cynical
Con
· Horribly unlucky (no dout it would rub off)

MinotaursLINK (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Minotaurs)
Pro
· Kamikaze SM’s! (Paint scheme)
· Slow CC units
· Ship-to-ship fighting
· Fluffy (3 units of 10 assault marines w/o JP)
Con
· Extremely hard paint scheme

Well, thats it. Pictures can be found on the name's link.

The_Patriot
27-12-2007, 12:52
This should be in the Army List forum for the part about the list. As for the chapter pick which ever one you like best.

Black Antelope
27-12-2007, 13:14
This should be in the Army List forum for the part about the list.

What part about the list?
I havnt even mentioned any army list yet

As for the chapter pick which ever one you like best.

Thats the point, I like them all, and I can hardly do a squad of each

The_Patriot
27-12-2007, 13:18
Thats the point, I like them all, and I can hardly do a squad of each

This part: SO, I have narrowed it down to 8 chapters, and have a few ideas of pros and cons, but from their I need some help with the list of pro's and cons'. As you can tell from the list of chaptors, I like the Badab upriseing (3 chapters listed took part). Also I want my armys to be fluffy, and balanced if possible.

Black Antelope
27-12-2007, 13:21
ok, I can see where the confusion came from, its been changed.

burning crome
27-12-2007, 13:45
Normally I’d say scythes cos they’ve got a cool paint scheme (got to love that yellow) but after reading the minotaurs entry and may just a little effect by the fact that the minotaur film was on the other day(which I’d recommend you find/watch since it got some cool bull iconography ) They sound perfect for a drop pod assault army, If you used the blood angel codex as the base list you get that berserk feel. Your need to work on that colour scheme and get a bit more of a Greek look to tie it in better with the ledged(black clocks for the black sail? More of a Spartan look, ploomed helmets, shields and long spears for assault troops, mechanical bulls for bikes, sorry getting a bit carried away) . I’ve almost talk my self into doing this army??

Ps in codex SM is ant their a squad of Minotaurs dev’s in a sliver scheme??

==Me==
27-12-2007, 13:56
I like the Lamenters and Scythes-two tragic chapters (a nice departure from "==My== mareenz are teh ubar!!!1!) who have interesting color schemes, fun and open-ended background, and very easy to make characterful rules for.

Leftenant Gashrog
27-12-2007, 14:00
Ps in codex SM is ant their a squad of Minotaurs dev’s in a sliver scheme??

Not in my copy, your maybe thinking of the White Minotaurs devastator squad in How to Paint Space Marines although thats gold rather than silver. (White Minotaurs chapter = gold armour with red pads and a white chapter badge, Brazen Minotaurs chapter = brass armour with white pads and a black chapter badge)

Hawk Lords
· Easier paint scheme

Lamenters
· Easier paint scheme

It should be noted that the lexicanium Lamenters scheme is outdated - its simply the Mk6 scheme painted onto Mk7 armour, How to Paint Space Marines has an updated Mk7 scheme: the checkered pad and chapter badge is swapped to the left pad, and the helmet stripe is dropped (which a number of people dont like, even though its consistent with how the Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Blood Drinkers, Crimson Fists, Silver Skulls, Iron Hands, White Scars and Space Wolf schemes were Mk7ified)

Lexicanium also omits that Insignium Astartes states that the Hawk Lords denote company by the colour of their shoulderpad trims.

burning crome
27-12-2007, 14:31
Not in my copy, your maybe thinking of the White Minotaurs devastator squad in How to Paint Space Marines although thats gold rather than silver. (White Minotaurs chapter = gold armour with red pads and a white chapter badge, Brazen Minotaurs chapter = brass armour with white pads and a black chapter badge)

You must be right on that one but it's got to be in the codex since I’ve never seen how to paint (probable explains a lot about my painting) Any way would get to tie up inexact paint schemes since you can all way get out of it by stating that “is company X who’s colour differ form the rest of the chapter in honor of the battle of X” or some such.

El_Phen
27-12-2007, 14:42
I say Salamanders. You just don't see them. Plus I like fire.

sigur
27-12-2007, 15:26
I'd say, go for Minotaurs because only a handful dare to paint an army of those, but my heart is with the Lamenters. Cool colour scheme, cool background, many hooks for interesting army composition.

imperial_scholar
27-12-2007, 16:30
If you play an all vanilla marine army, there is no reason to say that your army is a 'crusade army'. Thus you can have whoever you want as long as their doctrines are all the same.

Otherwise, Scythes of the Emperor :D
Just cause Scythes are so deadly... and they don't have a **** colour.

burning crome
27-12-2007, 16:55
Otherwise, Scythes of the Emperor :D
Just cause Scythes are so deadly... and they don't have a **** colour.

I thought Scythes where yellow and black???

ZiggyTempest
27-12-2007, 17:00
I'd say Salamanders.

Amornar
27-12-2007, 17:32
Salamanders, they have some good fluff, they are humanist marines which also opens the door for some good stories. Are pretty easily represented with the attribute system in the SM codex. Not too many players, and have a great theme for tactics and units.

SpaceLanceCorporal
27-12-2007, 17:38
Use Iron Hands bcuz they're so #%$^%# cool.

RavingGuard
27-12-2007, 18:23
i vote salamaders, i like the colour scheme and you've got the most pro's for them. plus you get lots of flame and melta goodness, ideal for cities of death games.

sithlord666
27-12-2007, 19:46
salamanders.i have just started a salamanders force myself and have to say they are great.easy paint scheme that looks great and im having a lot of fun kitting my marines out with CC nastys and nice heat based weapons! i cant wait to start melting my way through my buddies new nids....

plus,although they are one of the 'main' chapters you dont see many around so your army will still stand out if you do it nicely.

Supremearchmarshal
27-12-2007, 20:26
I say Scythes of the Emperor - they have a tragic background and a cool Colour scheme. However, they're also Ultramarine successors, and judging by this you seem to have something against them:

Con
· Ultramarine successor

My second and third choices would be Lamenters and Minotaurs.

Also, these 3 chapters are under-strength and/or "cursed" it does seem reasonable they might join forces simply to survive.

starlight
27-12-2007, 20:34
Well, I'm always in favour of Salamanders, so much so I built my Phoenix Templar DIY Marines as a Salamander Successors. :)

The more GW sees Salamanders, the more support they'll get, so I'm biased...;)

Black Antelope
27-12-2007, 20:34
Thanks for voting guys, it currently salamanders with 18 (40%), followed by Minotaurs with 9.
Thanks for all the extra salamander stuff to, it looks realy good. I still want to do a furiso venrable dread with both hands together on a HUGE thunder hammer, swinging it, but I know I cant feild one.:cries: I will just have to settle for replacing the normal dreads CC weapon with a hammer.

And SpaceLanceCorpral - very helpful, you brought sooo much to this debate.

paddyalexander
27-12-2007, 20:46
Salamanders are cool, I like the puritan "burn the eneimies of the emperor" theme.

paddyalexander
27-12-2007, 20:49
Thanks for voting guys, it currently salamanders with 18 (40%), followed by Minotaurs with 9.
Thanks for all the extra salamander stuff to, it looks realy good. I still want to do a furiso venrable dread with both hands together on a HUGE thunder hammer, swinging it, but I know I cant feild one.:cries: I will just have to settle for replacing the normal dreads CC weapon with a hammer.

And SpaceLanceCorpral - very helpful, you brought sooo much to this debate.

I've seen alot of space wolves conversions of a venrable dreadnought carrying a huge sword or axe so converting a dreads' cc arm into a hand carrying a huge tunderhammer isn't out of the question. Take a look at the inquisitor scale weapon packs on the gw website.

starlight
27-12-2007, 20:56
I beilieve there also is/was a Chaos Dread arm with a huge hammer... :)

Black Antelope
28-12-2007, 08:06
I've seen alot of space wolves conversions of a venrable dreadnought carrying a huge sword or axe so converting a dreads' cc arm into a hand carrying a huge tunderhammer isn't out of the question. Take a look at the inquisitor scale weapon packs on the gw website.

Thats what I intended to do

vulcan raven
28-12-2007, 08:30
i'm partial to the angels, cause i collect them. but it looks like salamanders take the cake, i think that is an army that is seen all too rarely. go for it

Vanger
28-12-2007, 11:07
I voted Salamanders. Cause they are green! Green is the colour you want! Green is best! :D
Sorry got a bit carried away ;)

I assume, you are not the best friend of an overly blue chapter... because you could paint them in the colours of the Crimson Fists.
They have a cool and simple paint scheme, cool background, they are descended from Rogal Dorn the Samuel L. Jackson of the Primarchs, their chapter traits are characteristic and not "cheesy".
A Con could be that they were long time the poster boys for SM.

Corax
28-12-2007, 11:55
I vote for the Lamenters. The whole concepts of despair and doom is very 40k. Plus, when you lose a battle, you can simply say that the Lamenters bad luck got the better of you! (and then you can groan and moan about it and still be in character)

Dark Scipio
28-12-2007, 12:19
I always like it, when people play the ,,small" offical chapters. So dont play Samalanders as they already have a small player base. So I voted for Sons of Gulliman, because they are nice and how playes them at all?

Dominus_Serui
28-12-2007, 12:55
Salamanders, they're the better of the progeniator chapters - but if you're fond of conversion oppertunities and you like modeling a Chapter on the verge of extinction, I'd field Scythes - so many fluff oppertunities to explain how they didn't get slaughtered like the rest.

Deadmanwade
28-12-2007, 13:10
Being in the middle of painting an Angels of Redemption company, the paint scheme is a pain in the rear. That said, they do look freaking cool. Half and half colors are tricky to paint but on the tabletop they outshine a single color model.

FruitSmack!
28-12-2007, 15:15
I voted for the Hawk Lords.

I'm a fan of more people doing the smaller chapters that are represented in all the various books and codices.

And well done, that purple and gold would look really striking on the table. Granted there isn't a lot of background for them, but that's easily fixable if you like to write. ;)

aaron

Getifa Ubazza
28-12-2007, 15:19
It doesnt matter what chapter you choose. They will all fall to my rending claws.

Salamanders are cool though. Hammer time.

Maleficum
28-12-2007, 15:21
Pro
· Old – 2nd founding of DA
Con
· Hard paint scheme (halved)
· Little fluff

Cool Paintscheme, though hard. Little fluff means that you can take a company and make it entirely your own, hunt the fallen and have fun.

Make an Index Astartes Article on the Chapter over at the "Bolter and Chainsword". :)

Black Antelope
30-12-2007, 11:47
OK guys (and gals), its offical, I'm a space marine player. [I'd never thought I'd say that!] I got the stuff today, although it does seem to be missing a large chunk of what was promised.

promised (or at least what I thought he ment when he said "my SM army"):
Tac squad (10)
Combat squad (5)
Scout squad (5)
Vet squad (5)
Command + captain (5+1)
Dreadnought
Preditor
Razorback
2x Devisator (5)
Assalt squad (5)

What I got:
Combat squad (5)
Scout squad (5)
Vet squad (3/5)
Command + captain (1+1)
Dreadnought
Preditor
Assalt squad (5)
Random marines (5)

So I'll have to talk to him, but he's probably just lost em.

I'v started panting the dread Salamader, and a sergent as a Son Of G, to see what he looks like, and how easy it is.

Black Antelope
31-12-2007, 14:17
Ok, its going to be salamanders second company guys.

Does anybody know if you can get salamader icon tranfers, either on the normal SM sheet or if you can buy em seperatly?

Black Antelope
15-01-2008, 09:26
Here is a pic from B&C, the combat patrol and dreadnought are totaly painted now, only scouts and pred to go.
http://bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?bpe=000000&bpj=969090&bp=378C0A&bpc=969090&hdt=000000&hdm=378C0A&hdl=378C0A&ey=F5E907&er=378C0A&pi=000000&nk=378C0A&ch=378C0A&eg=FCE21C&sk=FFFFFF&abs=378C0A&bt=64640A&cod=378C0A&ull=378C0A&lk=378C0A&lll=378C0A&lft=378C0A&url=378C0A&rk=378C0A&lrl=378C0A&rft=378C0A&slt=378C0A&sli=000000&srt=378C0A&sri=000000&ula=378C0A&lel=378C0A&lla=378C0A&lw=378C0A&lh=378C0A&ura=378C0A&rel=378C0A&rla=378C0A&rw=378C0A&rh=378C0A&bg=D11919&rb=262323&gr=969090&wg=true&be=BBBBCC&mk6=true&slips=CC0000&ti=FFFFFF&blt=F20C0C&