PDA

View Full Version : Meh. Arguing with my brother about GW's and shields

superknijn
27-12-2007, 16:24
I got this arguement with my brother about two-handed weapons and shields. Now, I just want to set this straight. Do you, or do you not get +1 armour save for having a shield while using a Great Weapon in close combat? Thanks to my brother incessant bickering, I am become clueless.

Urgat
27-12-2007, 16:27
No, you don't. If for some reason your mini has both, you cannot use the shield with the great weapon. Never, under any circumstance. You can only use shields with hand weapons or spears (I probably miss a couple exotic, race specific weapons, but that's beyond the point, GW don't belong in that category).

superknijn
27-12-2007, 16:30
Ah well, thanks for clearing it up for me. The rulebook is a bit strange, as the armour save section makes it seems that it's an unconditional +1 save. Ah well, no +1 save for the GW-wielding stunties!

Malorian
27-12-2007, 16:35
Just remember that he doesn't have to use the greatweapon.

I know I've used my handweapon on my questing knights several times.

Make sure he declares which he is using at the start of the combat.

Griefbringer
27-12-2007, 16:43
You can only use shields with hand weapons or spears (I probably miss a couple exotic, race specific weapons, but that's beyond the point).

You also forgot morning stars (and pistols, though they count as hand weapons).

The rulebook is a bit strange, as the armour save section makes it seems that it's an unconditional +1 save.

Well, if you could always gain the shield bonus, then the "Requires two hands" special weapon rule on page 54 would be totally pointless. Of course, that rule could be more specific and mention that the shield does not provide the bonus when not employed (I guess the authors again presumed that to be common sense).

superknijn
27-12-2007, 17:02
You see, we where confused because there's also the +1 save for the specific hand weapon and shield combo, which you ofcourse don't get with a great weapon and shield combination. That's where common sense ended.

Free Company
27-12-2007, 17:06
Don't forget they can opt not to use their Greatweapons as they are marching about, so as to claim that +1 against shooting while they're in the open.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-12-2007, 18:16
Don't forget they can opt not to use their Greatweapons as they are marching about, so as to claim that +1 against shooting while they're in the open.

I agree that this is possible, but do you really have to say it, I wonder? Because really the only time you have to declare what weapons you are using is at the begining of each close combat. I guess what I'm saying is that wouldn't it just be assumed in you have shields that you are going to use them to protect yourself whenever you can, up to the point where you need your other hand to swing your great weapon?

Festus
27-12-2007, 18:26
Hi

You will gain +1 save from a shield in all phases except the combat phase (or possibly the magic phase if you happen to fight in close combat then - a few spells make this possible).

In the combat phase, you will only gain +1 save if you equip the shield during fighting (ie. if you do not use a weapon which requires two hands or if you do not fight with two handweapons).

In the case that you fight to the front and have a shield and a handweapon equipped, you will gain a further +1 to your save if you fight on foot.

That's it, I guess...

Festus

Griefbringer
27-12-2007, 18:26
Don't forget they can opt not to use their Greatweapons as they are marching about

Actually, it is rather hard to opt to use a great weapon outside close combat (since they cannot be used as throwing weapons, musical instruments, pogo-sticks, sources of moral inspiration or to dispel spells under such conditions). ;)

feeder
27-12-2007, 18:31
....pogo-sticks.....

I think Scrappa Sorehead would disagree with you...:D

Griefbringer
27-12-2007, 18:46
I thought Scrappa was using his pogo-stick as a weapon, not his weapon as a pogo-stick... but I am not too much into finer details of Blood Bowl (though I guess you could use the model as a squig-hopper in WHFB).

Shamfrit
27-12-2007, 21:16
If anyone's seen the episode of a popular yellow character focused Sitcom where Bart bounces on the Pogo stick and it goes flying at venacular speeds they'll know that it's both, deadly & fun - how very Skaven :)