PDA

View Full Version : Too tousand pointz uv big dum ogurz

LordPomposity
21-09-2005, 02:12
Hello all,
I'm getting back into fantasy after a bit more than a year or so away, and Ogres are the army I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Tyrant
Mawseeker
Jade Lion
Wyrdstone Necklace

Mawseeker because it's 10 points to have minus 1 to be wounded. Jade Lion to make damned sure his unit doesn't turn tail and to rectify stupidity, Wyrdstone necklace because I'd rather he not die.

Butcher
Hellheart

Because I hate High Elf Seer Council armies. :evilgrin:

Butcher
Halfling Cookbook
Sword of Might

He's got three attacks, he might as well be able to use them effectively.

6 Ogre Bulls
Crusher
Standard Bearer
Look-out Gnoblar
Musician
Light Armor
Ironfists

This unit is joined by the Tyrant and the Hellheart-wielding Butcher. Champion for two reasons: First, so my Tyrant doesn't end up mauling a Skink champion in a challenge. Secondly, command models get priority over characters for front rank, so with 3 Command models and the Tyrant occupying that front rank, the Butcher will just have to be safe in the back... :evilgrin:

4 Ironguts
Standard
Bull Standard
Musician

Kills stuff dead. Hopefully.

4 Ironguts
Standard
Look-out Gnoblar
Musician

This unit is joined by the Butcher with the Sword of Might.

3 Bulls

Sacrificial and/or flanking unit, also allows me to take 2 units of Gnoblars.

21 Gnoblars

21 Gnoblars

9 Gnoblar Trappers

All Gnoblar units are one above minimum size because this forces my opponent to kill one more model to cause a panic test. As a rule, panic+Gnoblars=bad.

3 Yhetees

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible models, good flankers. Using them in this role also gives me 3D6 pursuit.

Gorger

Gorger

I anticipate shooting to be a major problem for my ogres, and I'd like to have as much to hunt war machines and mages as possible. They can charge enemy units either to hold them up or in a supporting role after they've taken care of shooty stuff.

I plan to deploy four wide, possibly deploying the Ironguts with the Butcher five wide if there's relatively little terrain on the table.

branchwrath
21-09-2005, 04:24
Looks like a good list... I may have to copy that with my own Ogres here in Toronto if you don't mind :D

Alco Engineer
21-09-2005, 04:33
All those Gnoblars and no scrap launcha? I love the scrap launcha. A chariot cross rock lobba with the pie template and killing blow?? It's awesome. Oh well your choice I suppose. I am just used to always seeing them. Sure sometimes thay die but that's half the fun. I've seen them be very very effective. Especially against hoardes and knights.

Ganymede
21-09-2005, 14:43
command models get priority over characters for front rank, so with 3 Command models and the Tyrant occupying that front rank, the Butcher will just have to be safe in the back... :evilgrin:

Watch it though, the BRB is very clear on the subject. Any character models that are in a unit but are not in the front rank are considered out of the game for all intents and purposes. Such means your butcher will not be generating any dice or casting spells, and his magical items will stop working till he comes to the front.

Kotobuki
21-09-2005, 15:55
Gany, Interesting... I don't recall seeing that (though I've not read and re-read the rule book time and again yet) I'd be most appreciative if you could give me a page reference.

LordPomposity
21-09-2005, 18:58
Now that you mention it, I think I vaguely remember reading that several years ago. I'll take out the champion in that case.

I'm also strongly considering replacing either the Yhetees or one of the irongut units or the small bull unit and one gnoblars unit with a scraplauncha. I suppose I'll try it both ways for a few games and see which one works.

Branchwrath: Sure, I'm not the GW legal team. :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

made_of_metal
21-09-2005, 19:16
does the tyrant really need to be stupid? he is tough as it is with 5W and those magic great weapons are all fun.

also how are 8 man units working for you? they seem like alot of points invested in it. i have been thinking of 6 figure units, the 2 hanging at the back so you can take some shooting and keep all your attacks and if you win combat and don;t break the enemy you can lap around.

but overall i do like your set up. lots of units and plenty of stuff to hit hard.

LordPomposity
21-09-2005, 20:54
Updated list!

On second thought, an 8-man unit is probably excessive.

Tyrant
Jade Lion
Wyrdstone Necklace

Butcher
Hellheart

Butcher
Halfling Cookbook
Sword of Might

4 Ogre Bulls
Standard Bearer
Look-out Gnoblar
Musician
Light Armor
Ironfists

4 Ironguts
Standard
Bull Standard
Musician

3 Ironguts
Standard
Look-out Gnoblar
Musician

This unit is joined by the Butcher with the Sword of Might.

3 Bulls

21 Gnoblars

21 Gnoblars

9 Gnoblar Trappers

3 Yhetees

1 Scraplauncha

Gorger

Gorger

I've lowered some unit sizes and ditched Mawseeker, givng me just enough points to cram in a scraplauncha! I don't think I'll regret it... :evilgrin:

The one thing I'm still debating over is whether to replace Halfling Cookbook and the Sword of Might with Siegebreaker.