PDA

View Full Version : The Portal Thread

polymphus
28-12-2007, 00:16
So has anyone been playing this game at all? I'm currently stuck in test chamber 15, and I'm sure there's a glitch somewhere because (in a growing fit of frustration) I looked up a walkthrough, and the piece of the floor I'm meant to hit with a portal can't be hit with a portal. :rolleyes:

This is a legitimate copy btw, I bought the Orange Box a few weeks ago and only got round to playing portal fairly recently and am annoyed to find that it doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, then help me. Otherwise, let's just discuss Portal!

Notorius
28-12-2007, 00:27
Why don't you post a screenshot of the problem? That way those of us that have finished that level can see what's going on.

The Laughing Man!
28-12-2007, 01:12
I played portal through the day I got it. I can't for the life of me see what the fuss is about.

Its just a rather easy puzzle game with a few giggles.

matthewmw64
28-12-2007, 01:45
I thought it was brilliant having played through it yesterday in about 3-4 hours. I also found it utterly hilarious.

Strikerkc
28-12-2007, 02:54
Let me guess... it's the one that has 5-6 raised platforms that you can't see the top of, surounded by a huge lake of that acid stuff?

vcassano
28-12-2007, 08:54
It was far too easy a game, I breezed through the puzzles without any problems. It needed far more variety in the puzzles, I felt. That said the pacing was spot on and it was utterly hilarious, especially the credit song 'Still Alive'.

Dogma
28-12-2007, 11:13
A brilliant game I thought. but as others have said far to short.

Goq Gar
28-12-2007, 15:12
"Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out."

Im getting that on a shirt.

Anyway, on to portal. Brilliant. It's ACTUALLY fun! Unlike the "shiny graphics make up for lack of actual gameplay" boxes being sold en masse on street corners now a days.

matthewmw64
28-12-2007, 18:01
In my opinion the hardest part is towards the end where you have to jump from one upraised platform to another and then to another, constantly using your on momentum.

WLBjork
28-12-2007, 18:14
Think I know which part you're stuck on.

You've passed the first barrier and activated the lift.

Now you have another barrier just like the first, but the floor can't take portals like the first barrier.

Place a Portal on the wall as normal. Now, go into the little room on the left, climb the stairs and place the other Portal at the bottom of the pit. Drop in, and as you come out you need to be ready to refire the portal from the pit where you expect to land.

polymphus
30-12-2007, 04:03
WLBjork, if I could jump through my computer screen and kiss you, I would do so.

I'm currently into the bit after you escape the furnace, in a room with lots of big pistons and a wire fence around the top.

firestorm40k
30-12-2007, 07:15
Having been playing through Half-Life 2 and its following episodes aftergetting our xbox360 with the Orange Box three weeks ago, I played through Portal in two sittings the other day, and it is great fun, and it is a genuinely funny game:

"Touching the floor of this chamber will result in a bad test mark being placed against your score, and death."

:D

The actual test chambers aren't that difficult, I found the bit after the last chamber the most challenging part of the game - it does get a bit fiendish; yes, it is not a particularly long game, but it certainly is one that has re-play value, plus I like how it expands the Half-Life 'universe', so to speak...

And that end credits song... rofl! :p

and the bit just before the credits, as the camera speeds through a warehouse, where waiting at the centre is a cake... superb! :D

Tyra_Nid
03-01-2008, 06:55
And firestorm, dont forget:

The weighted companion cube is there, as are the AI orbs... implying perhaps that the furnaces arent really furnaces?