PDA

View Full Version : please critique my first real fantasy list! (playing tmw)

zealot!
28-12-2007, 04:34
please tell me what you like and dont like. i have a few more spider riders and 25 or so more night gobbos with spears... me and a friend are just getting into fantasy from 40k... he played years ago and i just wanted to try something new so here we are (hundreds of dollars later of course lolz)

my opponent is playin lizardmen (from the big army box that gives you like 1500 pts worth of stuff)

Night Goblin Big Boss @ 64 pts
- Great weapon
- Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At

Night Goblin Shaman, level 2 @ 85 pts

30 Night Goblins @ 140 pts
- Spear, shield
- Full command
-Fanatic @ 25 pts

25 Night Goblins @ 79 pts
- Hand weapon, shield
- Musician
-Fanatic @ 25 pts

20 Night Goblins @ 64 pts
- Short bow
- Musician
-Fanatic @ 25 pts

- Short bow
- Musician
-Fanatic @ 25 pts

6 Forest Goblin Spider Riders @ 84 pts
- Spear, shield
- Musician

- Spear, shield
- Musician

- Spear, shield
- Musician

1 Orc Boar Chariot @ 80 pts

2 Spear Chucka's @ 70 pts

Total: 998 pts - 118 Models

fubukii
28-12-2007, 04:44
try to give your shaman some magic items . Also give your big boss a great weapon, Maybe try to throw some wolf riders in as well

zealot!
28-12-2007, 05:08
my big boss has a great weapon, and unfortunately i can't get any more models atm

what magic items would you suggest? and what to drop for them?

Dranthar
28-12-2007, 08:44
Drop the spears and give both of your non-shortbow NG units nets. Nets are the best thing since some gobbo decided to O.D. the local mushroom junkie and push him in out front of the enemy with a huge ball and chain. :D

Drop a unit of spider riders and reduce the other two units to 5 models (2 units of 5 should be plenty at 1000pts...just be wary of skinks!). After dropping the spears and taking those nets I mentioned, that should leave you with 72 pts to play with?

With those points, I'd boost both combat units of night gobbos to 29 and 30 models (12 pts), turn that NG bigboss into a Goblin bigboss (you'll need the Ld...5 pts?), add a standard to your second combat unit (8pts), give your general Guzzlas Battle brew (15) and add nibblas ring and a magic mushroom to your shaman (30).
I *think* that should put you at 998 - enough for light armour on your bigboss. ;)

With that, you should now have two semi-decent combat units, with a general who can dish out some decent damage and a shaman who will be capable of getting a few spells off.

Bound items like nibblas ring are excellent for boosting your magic...it's like a free spell your opponent has to put dispel dice towards. Magic mushrooms also help you get a spell off when your opponent isn't expecting it.

Guzzlas battle brew can be tempremental but I like it personaly. What's the fun in having a NG army if there's no risk to it? :D

zealot!
28-12-2007, 09:52
thanks for the advice. any thoughts on deployment? also, would you take all 3 units of spider riders in a 2k game?

5 pts is def. worth it for the big boss.. >.< don't know why i didn't see it..

Dranthar
28-12-2007, 11:32
I have 3-4 units of fast cavalry in my 2k army. A mix of wolf riders and spider riders seems to offer the most flexibility IMO and given animosity, I figure having more units than you need is a good thing. ;)

Deployment? Start with the spider riders, sticking them together on a flank. If there's a hill with good LOS put the spear chukkas on next. At that point, try to identify where your opponent will be putting the bulk of his forces (ie. his main infantry blocks, or large cavalry unit) and deploy your main combat units towards one side of his forces so that you have the best chance of flanking his mainline units while avoiding getting flanked yourself.

Use the short bow goblins to hold a flank (or both flanks) or if he's taken one, use them to kill the stegadon (large targets mean that every model in your ranked NG unit can shoot!). Otherwise treat them as defensive units.
In any case, don't bother deploying them in anything other than 5x4 unless you have something you really, desperately need to shoot (terradons?) or the only things at risk of charging you are skinks. NG archers are normally only good for shooting large targets. They may cause the odd casualty in other instances but it is definitely not something you can count on.

Spear chukkas should aim to kill a stegadon, remove ranks off any main infantry units he might have, or possibly shoot up his cavalry if you don't think your fanatics will be able to deal with them. If your opponent charges your goblins with Saurus with 3 ranks and a standard, those goblins are in trouble. Therefore if you can strip away his rank bonus through either shooting or a flank charge then you stand a better chance of beating him in combat.

Your combat blocks and the chariot should work together. If you can get a goblin regiment and the chariot charging in together then you stand a good chance of winning combat against whatever they hit.
Your opponent will probably try to shoot up the chariot with skinks. To avoid that I'd put that chariot right in between 2 of your goblin regiments - that way he risks getting into your charge arc if he wants to hit your chariot.

If possible keep the spider riders away from skinks because those things will eat your spiders alive in the shooting phase. Alternatively, you could use them to both charge a single skink unit - the skinks can only shoot one unit of spiders so the other unit should get in unharmed, allowing you to tear those skinks up in combat.

Ideally though, the spider riders should be trying to hit your opponents saurus in the flank at the same time they're fighting your goblins/chariot in the front. Use the spiders as a team, otherwise you risk animosity ruining your plans, or your spiders losing enough models in combat that you no longer get the flank bonus/rank denial.

Finally, remember that Lizardmen armies are cold-blooded, meaning that they have an annoying tendency to stick around even after you beat them soundly in combat. For that reason you should always have a contingency in mind, such as having a unit on the flank ready to charge in the next round should the Saurus decide not to leg it.

Oh, and beware of salamanders - they are quite good at shooting and will be able to hold their own vs. your spider riders, so your best bet is to either avoid them or distract by throwing a unit of archers at them (which may actually beat a salamander or 2 in combat thanks to rank bonus/outnumbering).

This post is way to long. :rolleyes:

zealot!
28-12-2007, 21:09
yea its long dranthar but its gonna help me a lot! i appreciate it. on to some more painting. :)

zealot!
29-12-2007, 22:08
my opponent got sick so we're playin today. got my book and my list is better! tell me what ya think

Goblin Big Boss @ 52 pts
- Martog's Best Basha
- Light Armor

Goblin Shaman, level 2 @ 120 pts
-Nibbla's Magic Ring
-Magic Mushroom

30 Night Goblins @ 145
- Hand weapon, shield
- Full command
- Nets
- Fanatic @ 25 pts

30 Night Goblins @ 137
- Hand weapon, shield
- Battle Standard
- Musician
- Nets
- Fanatic @ 25 pts

- Short bow
- Musician
- Fanatic @ 25 pts

- Short bow
- Musician
- Fanatic @ 25 pts

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders @ 84 pts
- Spear, shield
- Musician

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders @ 84 pts
- Spear, shield
- Musician

1 Orc Boar Chariot @ 80 pts

2 Spear Chucka's @ 70 pts

1k - 125 Models (119 if you don't count crew)