PDA

View Full Version : 23mm squares?

WallyTWest
28-12-2007, 04:04
What is the BB pitch square size? (In the box.) Custom pitches in my area seem to range from anywhere between 23mm to 30mm. I understand the value of a oversize pitch square, but it comes down to material costs.

I am trying to create 6 pitches for a local league that is starting up between me and some friends. I would like to use sheets of 2'x4' MDF board as a source material for the Pitches. @ 23mm per square I can fit the full BB grid in 3 times side by side, and initially I thought that this was the standard size of a BB pitch. My source information came from a pitch PDF that I had downloaded.

However it became painfully obvious in the Pre Season games I had played last Friday that the pitch squares where indeed too small for the larger prices in game play. Worse yet a test pitch that had been crafted was on the 23mm scale. (My understanding is that these big guys have always been a sore spot in game play and grids.)

This is a real concern for me, I had planed to craft boards and attempt to trade them for teams online. ($ is a little problem for this coach.) But to craft boards with 30mm squares creates 2 problems.

1. The pitches become huge! (not really a problem for play, but storage and shipping.)
2. The material cost increases alot.

At 23mm the pitches end up being 2' long, at 30mm the pitches ends up at 32" by 18". I’m literally looking at 3 times the construction cost. Are 23mm pitches something that someone would even want to trade for?

I guess my question is this, are these “23mm” pitch squares cricket with Blood Bowl Play?

Lord of ???
28-12-2007, 04:26
1 and a 1/4 inches if i remember correctly

Darkson
28-12-2007, 20:52
Approx 28.6mm on average. (A former NAF president actually sat down and measured them all!)
Also note that the squares aren't exactly square. There's some differences in sizes on squares across the pitch (no idea if that was deliberate or just bad design work originally).

As for 23mm squares - no thanks! BB is hard enough when trying to accomodate big guy bases being to large for the squares, let alone the normal bases!

WallyTWest
29-12-2007, 05:24
Then 28mm it is!

EVIL INC
31-12-2007, 16:46
I like the idea of larger squares (2 1/2- 3 inches, maybe even 4 as that would allow a model to completely lay down in his own square, per side). Too often the big guys just dont fit into the squares and when it comes to prone players, it can be a downright nightmare as prone players are overlapping empty squares ect.
larger squares wouldlook nicer and make games more fun and faster to play not to mention just looking nicer and being easier on models as paint would be less likely to chip off.
Of course, you would need to do the mathwork of measuring the squares and making new range rulers to match.
If someone does make workable boards with larger squares, could you please post the exact measurements of squares and range ruler? The trades I cover here at work includes carpentry so it could be possible for me to get some of the kids here to make me a field or three.

GalakStarscraper
01-01-2008, 21:20
I like the idea of larger squares (2 1/2- 3 inches, maybe even 4 as that would allow a model to completely lay down in his own square, per side). Too often the big guys just dont fit into the squares and when it comes to prone players, it can be a downright nightmare as prone players are overlapping empty squares ect.
larger squares wouldlook nicer and make games more fun and faster to play not to mention just looking nicer and being easier on models as paint would be less likely to chip off.
Of course, you would need to do the mathwork of measuring the squares and making new range rulers to match.
If someone does make workable boards with larger squares, could you please post the exact measurements of squares and range ruler? The trades I cover here at work includes carpentry so it could be possible for me to get some of the kids here to make me a field or three.

Impact! Miniatures has a 40mm gaming mat that might work for this. As for range rulers ... pretty easy to use the grid for passing that comes with the new player aid PDFs on the SG site.

EVIL INC
02-01-2008, 12:56
Doh, Stupid me forgot about the new way of figuring the passes. Thanx.:)
That means itdoesnt matter how big you make the squares so long as they are all the same size and you have the correct numbers of them. Looks like ti for me to make a new board.

juample
14-02-2008, 10:22
Diferents fields sizes diferent games. But this is no bad. If i remember the astrogranite old one has tiny squares. In bigger fields good-passing-teams, hat it harder, and run with the ball is better option.

NOTE: You can always resize the passing metre to scale 28>28.6 then X>Y

TheBigBadWolf
07-03-2008, 11:05
Doh, Stupid me forgot about the new way of figuring the passes. Thanx.:)
That means itdoesnt matter how big you make the squares so long as they are all the same size and you have the correct numbers of them. Looks like ti for me to make a new board.

Does that mean that you dont need to use the range ruler at all any more, you can just use the player aid and count the squares instead

[edit] when did they release this throwing aid, and is that what is used in offical tournies know, if so wow that is great, maybe they will start using bigger boards.

Darkson
07-03-2008, 12:14
[edit] when did they release this throwing aid, and is that what is used in offical tournies know, if so wow that is great, maybe they will start using bigger boards.

Released oover the last 6 months (can't remember exactly when).

If by official tournaments you mean the GW ones, they can be used, but if your opponent wants to use a range ruler, than the ruler takes precedence, as it's the "official" tool stated in the rule books.
If you mean any tournament, then that would be up to the organiser. I know I won't disallow it.

TheBigBadWolf
07-03-2008, 13:22
Released oover the last 6 months (can't remember exactly when).

If by official tournaments you mean the GW ones, they can be used, but if your opponent wants to use a range ruler, than the ruler takes precedence, as it's the "official" tool stated in the rule books.
If you mean any tournament, then that would be up to the organiser. I know I won't disallow it.

Serves me right for not checking it more often, ahh well a new field is getting built this weekend, me and my bro have always wanted a bigger pitch but could be bothered with working out the new ranges, this solves it in a 1er

andymeechan
07-03-2008, 17:45
I made a pitch with 50mm squares for a BBoowl 7's board using =][= models - Speedball anyone? (Cries of 'ice cream' from the stands!)

Where in Scotland are you? I have access to, like 5 or 6 pitches. They're used by [elg], but no leagues are in progress (or likely would be any time soon).

TheBigBadWolf
12-03-2008, 16:49
Hey im up in arbroath, its probs to far to send a board, but i am interested