PDA

View Full Version : Flying lizard lists? Effective?

The_Dragon_Rising
28-12-2007, 17:30
As the title suggests i am asking about the effectiveness of flying heavy lists at the 2K point level.

Terradons are often used as warmachine/mage hunters but could a unit or two of 10 be used effectivly in a game? The would cost a massive 350 points for 10 but that does give you 30 str4 attacks.

Skinks could be used as core in a list like this, blowpipes and scout probably best and they can try to weaken units before the terradons jump in.

For lord/hero choices the JSoD and the FSoD could both be used as they are fast and i was also considering Asarnil from the DoW list, http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/ (part 2), he could be modified to be used as an oldblood riding a lizard to make it more 'fluffy', is he worth it?

I would probably include a unit of kroxigor to add some anti armour and make the JSoD anti-armour.

On the downside however a list like this is putting a lot of points in one unit and could have problems in combat (no denying ranks as they are skirmishers, no rank bonus).

How effective would an army like this be? Are terradons to expensive/weak to be used en masse in a list? Thoughts?

Malorian
28-12-2007, 17:49
It can work, but a very mobile or shooty opponent will ruin your day.

Mordante
28-12-2007, 19:33
I want to know what unit you are facing that you would be able to line up all 10 terradons against to get 30 attacks. When I take 5 kroxigor, I usually end up with one out on an end not attacking, In most cases you will get 4 or 5 into combat. The rest are just wounds to keep you from having to take panic checks. I'd say 6 or 7 in a unit at the most.

Regarding asarnil, I used him a few times in my LM army...lots of fun, but still only a T3 elf on the dragon. I converted a McFarlane dragon to have a skink hero on it. A friend of mine just converted a carnasaur into one of the best looking dragons I've ever seen...you could try that.

The_Dragon_Rising
28-12-2007, 21:10
Ok granted 10 in a unit would be unwealdy, how about 6 or so which should be fine against the more common frontages of 5 and 4.

One thing that attracts me to asarnil would be the opportunity to convert (and well that a dragon in a lizard army isnt really unfluffy in the lizard sense).

But generally what are peoples thoughts on say 3 units of 6 (1 unit of 3/4 krox and JSoD for anti-armour)

Malorian
28-12-2007, 21:13
It could work well. I would say that 5 is the larges you would want to go though. You don't want to tie all your points into them. You'll also want to make sure you keep the general up there too so they don't run away.

Semi_Bunny
28-12-2007, 21:44
If you go through with this I'm interested to see the conversion pics, but yeah I wouldnt go bigger than 5 with the terradons. I'd try to fit in 2 units of 3 kroxis if you do games above 2000, but 1 unit of 4 should be enough hammering force. Definitely put the FSoD in there for the theme.

Mordante
29-12-2007, 01:06
Keep them at 5 or above and get then in the backfield, then get units to flee through them! Also good for hit and run to kill characters hiding in units.