PDA

View Full Version : Help my plan my summer holiday to Nottinghamshire.

Onisuzume
28-12-2007, 18:14
Ok, so my plan is to go to Nottinghamshire this summer.
Visiting, among other locations, Warhammer World.

Now, my problem is two-fold:
1: What other musea/etc. can you recommend.
2: Any good hotels/lodges in Nottinghamshire. (preferably ones that don't cost an arm and a leg)

Deamon-forge
28-12-2007, 19:40
I stayed at the Britania (sp) hotel, cheap and 2 sec from the city center and only a few mins in a taxi to WHW (5 for taxi) Nice hotel, free internet, foods ok, and the Beer was cheap

Dragonlover
28-12-2007, 20:41
Wollaton Hall and Park, absolutely bloody gorgeous. Highfields is quite nice from what I remember, but it's been a few years since I went there. If you go into the town centre, Forbidden Planet is across the road from GW and theres a gaming store in Vicky Centre called the Travelling Man thats also got a second hand section.

Dragonlover

swordwind
28-12-2007, 21:17
Nottingham Castle should be obvious. Tales of Robin Hood is a must aswell.

Crube
28-12-2007, 22:14
Travelling man isn't in the Vicky Centre.

It's up from the Old market Square, inside Gamestation (upstairs)

Tales of Robin Hood is good, albeit very touristy, the Castle is more of a stately home than castle... and the Lace museum is good, and the Lace market area is worth a wander round... Galleries of Justice, in the Lace market is well wirth the price of admission.

Clumber Park is lovely if a little further out... used to live nearby, so....

Onisuzume
28-12-2007, 23:46
Just wondering, but has anyone ever stayed at the MidTown Backpackers Hostel on 5A Thurland Street?
Or, failing that, know if its a good place to stay.

Dragonlover
29-12-2007, 12:10

I thought so too, but they've moved. Trust me on this, I spent bloody ages wandering round last summer looking for the damn place.

Dragonlover

Crube
29-12-2007, 12:49
Well there you go... you learn soemting every day. I havent been for a few months and everything changes....:D

TeddyC
29-12-2007, 15:18

Tales of Robin Hood is good, albeit very touristy, the Castle is more of a stately home than castle... and the Lace museum is good, and the Lace market area is worth a wander round... Galleries of Justice, in the Lace market is well wirth the price of admission.

Clumber Park is lovely if a little further out... used to live nearby, so....

Its not, Its now in broadmarsh just up from the caves....

Stay in... Holiday Inn, Jurys inn type places, Literally a few minutes from the city centre.

Visit the galleries of justice, the castle, tales of robin hood, the olde trip (oldest pub in the britain, has a the cursed galleon and lots of nice brews), the caves (inside broadmarsh centre), Wollaton hall is nice if you like that sort of thing, same with clumber park, I helped clear a medieval pond a few months back, if you like pubs, pitcher and piano is interesting (its an old church, now a pub). If you care to travel further afield your close to Peak District (couple of hours drive), Derbys not too far away for ghost walks.

Night life? Brilliant! Flares, Reflex for cheesy old stuff, Corner House for great cheapish dining + entertainment, Hockley + Lace Market for more trendy bars. Just wear shoes and a shirt and youll get in anywhere.

Strip bars? Theres one opposite walkabout just down from GW central notts and forbidden planet, conrads and senioritas are further afeild.

whatelse, shopping....

as mentioned Travelling man is in broadmarsh, as is another rather large model shop... model zone? I think.... just wander round, lots of nice shope, theres designer stuff like Molton Brown etc along side your HMVs. Visit selecta disk. Great indie record store.

Eateries... nip to the info centre (just off market square and get a guide) amazing resteraunts