PDA

View Full Version : From 40k to warhammer..

Exterminatus
21-09-2005, 09:37
Hi guys,

I was reading the BL book witch hunter ( which is, by the way, excellent ), and decided to build a vampire counts army based on massed skeletons and zombies ( perhaps a small units of ghouls as well )

The only problem is that I havent played warhammer since 5th ed :(

Can anyone tell me how much everything has changed? Magic has changed a lot or so I've heard...

Any advice on warhammer / vampire counts would be greatly appreciated!

Latro
21-09-2005, 10:29
In short:

- No more repeatedly blasting the enemy with Gaze of Nagash, Wind of Death, Curse of years etc. Magic for the VC is much more oriented towards summoning and enhancing your unit's performance.

- Allthough still very strong, vampires are no longer the unkillable combatmonsters they once were.

- Units, units and more units is the name of the game nowadays. A buffed-up character will not win against a fully-ranked unit.

Have fnu! :cool:

Frecus
21-09-2005, 12:53
I agree with lathro, but have to add this:
A good vampire well supported by a unit becomes an unstoppable force. The ranks, banner and numbers the unit adds combined with the sheer killing power a vampire can add make sure you beat the opponent. Fear does the rest.

Also, magic being more support orientated makes it all the more important in a VC army. Never leave home without at least 3 levels/1000 pts. I myself prefer 4/1000 pts.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Exterminatus
21-09-2005, 13:07
Do the Vampire counts still rule the magic phase, with recasts, power cards etc.?

Latro
21-09-2005, 13:25
Do the Vampire counts still rule the magic phase, with recasts, power cards etc.?

Nope, no more advantages for Necromancy I'm afraid :(

- All wizards provide power and dispel dice according to their level. (number of power dice = level, dispel dice = 1 for level 1 and 2, 2 for level 3 and 4) A Count can become a level 2 caster and a Lord a level 3 (can be one higher wwhen you're choosing Necrarch).

- All casters use a d6 to determine which spells they receive from their chosen list of spells, you can always substitute one spell for the first spell of your list ... which is the summon spell for Necromancy.

- No more recasting :cries:

VC can get quite a powerful magic-phase whithout suffering too much in the combat-phase ... or go all-out magic with a Necromancer kabal and be a bit lacking when it comes to combat characters.

Examples:

Vampire Count, lvl 2 (2 power dice, 1 dispel)
Vampire Thrall
Necromancer, lvl 2 (2 power dice, 1 dispel)

= 8 power dice total, + any bound spells from items (and we do have some nice ones there :) )

or ...

Necromancer Lord, lvl 4 (4 power dice, 2 dispel)

= 12 power dice total, + ofcourse the magical goodies

(PS Read the Tactica: Vampire Counts in the tactics-forum for more info on preferred character and magic set-ups)

:cool:

Exterminatus
21-09-2005, 13:37
Thanks for that little piece of info!
It sucks that vampires or necromancers can't recast :cries:

The problem is I dont have a fantasy 7th ed rulebook, I still have to buy it.
Before buying it, though, it would like to know if this edition of warhammer improved in comparison to 5th ed.

Do vampire counts have new units? Also, did the game enjoy a general points sink to build larger armies ( like 40k went from 2nd to 3d ed. )?

Latro
21-09-2005, 14:06
Thanks for that little piece of info!
It sucks that vampires or necromancers can't recast :cries:

Before buying it, though, it would like to know if this edition of warhammer improved in comparison to 5th ed.

Do vampire counts have new units? Also, did the game enjoy a general points sink to build larger armies ( like 40k went from 2nd to 3d ed. )?

In my opinion the game has certainly improved. In the previous edition the outcome of the battle was often decided by the choice of magic items your characters were carrying and/or getting the Totall Power card with the right spell.

No more ...

In today's edition your selection of characters is limited by the amount of points you play (example: 2000 pts battles gives you up to 4 characters of which 1 may be a lord), and the shape of your army is also determined by limitations in core, special and rare unit-types. All in all the impact of characters is less and you tend to see larger armies on the field ... with a few exceptions ofcourse, Chaos can still field weird gimmick armies.

Vampire Counts:

- You Vampire can be of several flavours: Blood Dragon, Von Carstein, Necrarch, Lahmia or Strigoi ... which determines the bloodpowers (= sort of magic items) you can choose.

Characters:

Vampire Lord or Count
Master Necromancer

Vampire Thrall
Wight Lord
Wraith

Core units:

Skeletons
Zombies
Ghouls (skirmishers nowadays)
Bat swarm
Dire Wolves

Special units:

Grave Guard (wight infantry)
Black Knights (wight cavalry)
Fell Bats
Spirit Host (etheraeal swarm)

Rare units:

Banshee (screaming ethereal thingie)
Black Coach (big overpriced chariot)
Dogs of War (mercenaries, everybody can hire them)

... now go buy those books! :D

Griefbringer
21-09-2005, 14:12

You might need to wait a while - we are still stuck in the 6th edition for at least one more year.

Exterminatus
21-09-2005, 14:21
Ghouls a skirmishing unit? thats rather... odd. All in all it sounds like the game has indeed improved much over time.
I still have a 5ed High Elf army probably around 6000 points ( 5ed points costs ).

Arnizipal
21-09-2005, 14:37
Ghouls a skirmishing unit? thats rather... odd. All in all it sounds like the game has indeed improved much over time.
I still have a 5ed High Elf army probably around 6000 points ( 5ed points costs ).
It's probably worth more than 6000 points now. Practically all cavalry, monsters and heroes went up in points cost.

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-09-2005, 15:19
It's probably worth more than 6000 points now. Practically all cavalry, monsters and heroes went up in points cost.

Err, no, not really. Cavalry especially got a lot cheaper this edition!