PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned?

23rd elysian
31-12-2007, 00:06
Who are they? and why are they what they are? Sorry for such a n00bish question, I cant find anything on them.

Captin Korea!
31-12-2007, 00:13
They are well chaos, the daemons, followers, spawns, and the tides of chaos.
They are made up of traitors, muntains, daemon, and other nasty things. They follow the way of chaos in hopes of becoming more powerfull. There was a army for them to repesent that chaos isnt all csm guy runing around killing stuff for khorne.

trigger
31-12-2007, 00:14
No body knows, thats what makes them cool
There is only speculation that they were part of the astral claws that are trying to make a mens for what the chapter did.....or......they are the fire hawks(posibly) ....or....
they were one of the first founding leigions that all records have been lost for

trigger
31-12-2007, 00:16
They are made up of traitors, muntains, daemon, and other nasty things. They follow the way of chaos in hopes of becoming more powerfull. There was a army for them to repesent that chaos isnt all csm guy runing around killing stuff for khorne.

no your thinking of lost and damned........(everyone point and laugh:D)

only joking
dave

devolutionary
31-12-2007, 00:17

Legion of the Damned, not Lost and the Damned ;)

No body knows, thats what makes them cool
There is only speculation that they were part of the astral claws that are trying to make a mens for what the chapter did.....or......
they were one of the first founding leigions that all records have been lost for

Huh? Really? That's a new one.

Every bit of fluff about them has been attached to commentary and speculation about the Fire Hawks, a Cursed Founding Chapter that went missing in the warp as their entire fleet moved to an engagement. That they were mentioned in the Cursed Company articles and that the Fire Hawk connection has been the only continuous link since 2nd Ed lends weight to that being the primary theory. As it stands, they are guardian angels for the Space Marines, turning up at the most dire of times in the most dire of battles and turning the tide against the foe before vanishing again.

trigger
31-12-2007, 00:20
Huh? Really? That's a new one.

Every bit of fluff about them has been attached to commentary and speculation about the Fire Hawks, a Cursed Founding Chapter that went missing in the warp as their entire fleet moved to an engagement. That they were mentioned in the Cursed Company articles and that the Fire Hawk connection has been the only continuous link since 2nd Ed lends weight to that being the primary theory. As it stands, they are guardian angels for the Space Marines, turning up at the most dire of times in the most dire of battles and turning the tide against the foe before vanishing again.
Not every bit of fluff.....Fire hawks werent even mentioned in second edition when the damned came out.........but yes that is another theory

Captin Korea!
31-12-2007, 00:28
Oops, sory. :D
Legion of the damned on the other hand is at:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/extras/cursedchapters/2.htm
^_^

Grimtuff
31-12-2007, 00:38
Not every bit of fluff.....Fire hawks werent even mentioned in second edition when the damned came out.........but yes that is another theory

Erm, they were. LOTD were my first army, hate to sound obnoxious but i've read the fluff for them in the WD so many times it's fallen apart.

LOTD=Fire Hawks.

LexxBomb
31-12-2007, 06:36
yer they are either the Fire Halks or

they are a SM Chapter created by the Star Child (yer right as if)

Grindgodgrind
31-12-2007, 09:02
I'd personally be inclined to say, it's the Fire Hawks. Ever since the LotD appeared in 2nd Ed, and the 2nd Ed Ultramarine codex, it's mentioned the possibility of it being the Fire Hawks, seeing as the entire chapter disappeared in the Warp....

untimention
31-12-2007, 09:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40K-Legion-of-the-Damned-Squad-box-set-Rare_W0QQitemZ160192370129QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44124 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p163 8.m118

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIMITED-ED-LEGION-OF-THE-DAMNED-SERGEANT-CENTURIUS-MIB_W0QQitemZ320170183282QQihZ011QQcategoryZ44124Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638 .m118

there the boys and im lucky to have both

Lord Damocles
31-12-2007, 09:44
It was implied in the old Codex: Assassins that the Fire Hawks fleet was sabotaged by an Imperial assassin, causing it to become stranded in the warp.

There - worlds smallest, most pointless bit of fluff:p.

LexxBomb
31-12-2007, 12:33
not the most pointless bit of fluff, makes you woundewr why the High Lord of Terra Commissioned an Assassin to destroy the Fire Halks fleet

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
31-12-2007, 12:41
I'd personally be inclined to say, it's the Fire Hawks. Ever since the LotD appeared in 2nd Ed, and the 2nd Ed Ultramarine codex, it's mentioned the possibility of it being the Fire Hawks, seeing as the entire chapter disappeared in the Warp....

I know the 2nd edition rules for an entire LotD army in an old issue of WD muddied the waters mentioning that the army only used pre heresy plasma weapons.

Leftenant Gashrog
31-12-2007, 13:13
It should also be mentioned that the original Legion of the Damned article in WD99 didnt suggest a connection between the LotD and the Fire Hawks, instead it explicitly stated that the LotD were the plague infected survivors from the only Fire Hawks cruiser not to have been destroyed in the warp. (it mentioned the Inquisition discovering a coffin from the Fire Hawks cruiser Absolute, so presumably that was the cruiser that survived)

Super Ninja
31-12-2007, 16:16
the LotD is this mysterious, ghostly army of super ownage that literaly appears out of nowhere to help out doomed imperial armies. Once the saving is done they just vanish into thin air. Look at the Apoc datasheet on the website to see why they pwn. The LotD have pitch black armor covered in bones, skulls and flames.

Everyone (or mostly everyone) thinks that the LotD is the remainder of those Fire Hawks marines, but ofcourse GW left that unconfirmed for the mysterious efect and to let people come up with their own fluff about them

Brother Siccarius
31-12-2007, 16:44

That's "Lost and the Damned".

Legion of the Damned is the mysterious chapter of ghost-like marines.
Originally the Fire Hawks, a cursed 21st founding chapter, they contracted a warp plague in transit to the pacification of Crows World. The plague caused them to constantly shift between the real world and the warp, appearing and disappearing at random (It should be noted that their tanks and dreadnoughts share this fate). They appear to have graying, near translucent skin which gives them the appearance of an animated corpse.

It's far from unconfirmed or open, oddly enough for GW, as the rules for 21st founding chapters went out and said that they were the Fire Hawks. The WD article on the 21st founding itself even goes to give evidence of it, as well as the one detailing the Legion of the Damned.

Leftenant Gashrog
31-12-2007, 17:49
Originally the Fire Hawks, a cursed 21st founding chapter, they contracted a warp plague in transit to the pacification of Rynn's World.

Crow's World

Brother Siccarius
31-12-2007, 18:51
Crow's World

Thanks for that, so many "pacification's of" that they sometimes get mixed.

electric
01-01-2008, 01:33
Just to expand on them on the battlefield, the Legion of the Damned seems to appear out of nowhere to help ailing Imperial armies on the brink of defeat. Their armour is pitch black, depicting iconography of damnation such as flames, skulls, and bones. They fight in complete silence, no battlecry at all, and annihilate the enemy. Once the battle is won, they disappear as suddenly as they appeared, leaving only the dead enemies and the remnants of the Imperial force behind.

Spider
01-01-2008, 10:34
Anyone remember that special character from several years ago, i think he was a LotD Chaplain.

The piece of fluff that went with him was IIRC quite a nice little tale, whereby a young Adeptus tech working for a marine legion (?) starts to wonder why said marines are a bit wierd...the named chaplain quickly murders him and presumably sets about finding a new idiot..i mean loyal imperial servant, to tend the marines.

Anyone remeber more details?

Was a long time ago. :(

devolutionary
01-01-2008, 10:38
What, Veteran Sergeant Centurius? He was the only named character they had and is still the only identifiable individual in their forces.

LexxBomb
01-01-2008, 16:50
anmd he had that special skull

electric
01-01-2008, 20:29
anmd he had that special skull

I believe the skull was able to suck the soul out of enemies.

I find that creepy even in the 40k world. Their whole chapter is, though.

LexxBomb
02-01-2008, 05:01
the Animus Speculum I think it was called

devolutionary
02-01-2008, 07:58
Yarp, that's the sucker. He was quite a fine model too, one I always beat myself up about not getting (not that I'd still have it, what with losing all my stuff a few years back).

TheDarkDaff
02-01-2008, 09:09
Yeah he got a limited release in Oz too. I remember my mates paint job on him was pretty good (along with his squad of LotD). I definately remember that (at least in the 2nd Ed fluff) all their equipment was pre-heresy(none of which was still being made by the time of the 21st founding). My best guess is that they somehow found a large forgoten warehouse full of pre-heresy gear, because there is no way in hell that any chapter would willing give away it's prized relics and the Armour and Weapons just wouldn't be made at the time of their founding. This is more a case of newer fluff not being checked against older fluff. The whole cursed founding thing is pretty new and was bound to throw up a few problems

Jade_Dragon
02-01-2008, 17:07
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Legion_of_the_Damned

Renagade
03-01-2008, 10:20
Chapter fights in silence:wtf: What happened to, "for the Emperor beyond the point of death.":confused:

NerdyOgre254
03-01-2008, 10:38
the Animus Speculum I think it was called

It's not the Animus Speculum. the Animus Speculum is a device used by Culexus Assassins to both a) limit their untouchable abilities outside of battle and b) to throw lots of nasty anti-psyker death at enemies of the Emperor.

EDIT: The item you were speaking of is the Animum Malorium.

Spider
03-01-2008, 21:18
Thats him!

Animus Malorum? Was that his skull thing?

TheDarkDaff
04-01-2008, 00:48
A Crystal Skull if i remember right.

electric
04-01-2008, 02:37
Chapter fights in silence:wtf: What happened to, "for the Emperor beyond the point of death.":confused:

That quote was from a banner. After a battle in which the Legion of the Damned assisted in, the army (I forget which, though I think it was specified) found a torn and ragged banner of the Fire Hawks chapter left behind. However, written over it was "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis" which means "for the emperor beyond the point of death". It is not their battlecry, but actually the strongest piece of evidence connecting them to the doomed Fire Hawks.

Brother Valtarius
07-01-2008, 16:31
if you look in the firebase issues (not sure which one) it shows a picture of a land raider in the legion of the damned colours, and if you type them in on wikipedia im sure it tells you what legion they are presumed to be that was wiped out and they appear on the battlefield to turn the battle in the way of the imperium.

Ghost Of Caliban
07-01-2008, 21:42
pretty overwhelming evidence to suggest the firehawks. but what about the stufff about pre heresy weapons? any more references to that?

devolutionary
07-01-2008, 22:01
A lot of stuff made before and during the heresy was still produced after it. Remember, the first millennia or so post heresy was full of foundings and they have dropped off since then,l so many chapters still have old stuff that hasn't been replaced.