PDA

View Full Version : base sizes

wizuriel
31-12-2007, 18:38
so getting kinda annoyed with bases.

I bought some empire wizards to use as chaos sorceres and noticed they have a different base size than the marauder units I bought.

I also got 3 packs of nurglings and 1 of the packs contains a monster base smaller than the other 2 :@

so checked my rule book and didn't help much (mentioned 3 sizes for infantry, 2 for monsters and nothing for war machines) :@ Even the GW link in the sticky read first thread is broken :(

so anyone help

theunwantedbeing
31-12-2007, 18:42
Well, your own silly fault for buying 20mm based models when you need 25mm base models.
As for the nurglings....they should be on 40mm bases so you must have got a 50mm base by accident (very odd) just go to your GW where you got them and say that it came with the wrong base, they'll happily replace it with a new nurgling base I believe.

Griefbringer
31-12-2007, 18:45
I bought some empire wizards to use as chaos sorceres and noticed they have a different base size than the marauder units I bought.

Just look around at other local gamers - somebody is bound to have a few spare 25x25mm bases to hand over ot you, since GW blisters and boxes every now and then come with a few to spare (plus some people also buy spare ones in big bags from store).

wizuriel
31-12-2007, 19:01
Well, your own silly fault for buying 20mm based models when you need 25mm base models.
As for the nurglings....they should be on 40mm bases so you must have got a 50mm base by accident (very odd) just go to your GW where you got them and say that it came with the wrong base, they'll happily replace it with a new nurgling base I believe.

so I take it different armies have different base size infantry?

edit: what about war machines?

Nagrael
31-12-2007, 19:07
Correct.

"Human Sized" models such as Empire, elves, not mounted brets, skeletons, etc etc are all on 20mm bases

"Beefier Sized" models such Chaos warriors, saurus, and the like are on 25mm bases

Keep in mind though that a "beefy" character that is still a human will have a 20mm base. There are also a few exceptions as I "believe" marauders are on a 25mm base but I could be mistaken.

wizuriel
31-12-2007, 19:27
so the sorc than would be right on the 20 base?

and guess warmachines are more open. see alot of pics where there from anything from non based to chariot to round bases

Masque
31-12-2007, 19:40
All Chaos Mortal infantry belong on 25mm bases. If you use another model as a Sorcerer he should be put on a 25mm base.

You're correct that warmachines vary wildly as to basing. There are no strict rules or guidelines. Generally whether or not they have a base and what size it is matters very little. My suggestion is to use the smallest base you can get the thing to fit on properly.

knightime98
31-12-2007, 21:03
Hi,

This link should answer any question you may have about base sizing. Furthermore, Warmachines such as cannons, mortars, bolt throwers do not have a base size because they are not supposed to be mounted on one. The rules are specific for those models.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base-chart/assets/base-chart.pdf

nandalf
12-01-2008, 13:40
So, am i right in thinking its essentially un-allowed for a player to put any model on a base size larger than on that chart??
kinda scuppering any awesome scenic bases, and war machines arent allowed bases??

Nandalf[Ben]

Wolfmother
12-01-2008, 20:15
gw policy is that you can use bigger base sizes than the ones surplied just not smaller

theunwantedbeing
12-01-2008, 21:36
I thought that was the 40k policy, fantasy policy was rather more strict.
ie.
You cant use a different size base than the one you are supposed to use
Although there may be some rule about using the one you are supplied with

Certainly not legal to use any size base you want.
Smaller or larger as both grant some form of advantage which can be unfair.

WLBjork
12-01-2008, 21:59
Quite right.

40K models are supplied with the minimal sized base.

WHFB models are supplied with the exact size base (supposedly at least).