PDA

View Full Version : Were the Luna Wolves actually "Wolf"-like?

Snakebite
01-01-2008, 18:49
I've been promising myself a small army of Luna Wolves on and off for some time now and I'm seriously considering them again. My idea is to base them off the Space Wolves but I'm wondering whether the Luna Wolves adopted the Space Wolves habit of adorning their armour in wolf pelts and what have you?

Does anybody have any information on this?

Thanks in advance.

Minister
01-01-2008, 18:57
From what I know the wolf was simply a heraldic icon rather than a significant cultural icon as it is with the Space Wolves. It would have appeared on banners and such as the legion symbol, and it would be appropriate to have the commander wearing a wolf pelt cloak or such, but nothing like the Space Wolves.

CELS
01-01-2008, 19:44
Indeed, the whole 'Wolf' in Luna Wolf seems to build upon the old connection between the moon and wolves. The moon can also be seen as a symbol of betrayal, distrust and so forth (and also the occult), and the wolf may also be regarded as a symbol of these things.

Griffin
02-01-2008, 05:17
All so the festival of Lupercalia from Rome, as evidenced by their name for the Warmaster. I love the Luna Wolves.

dr.oetk3r
02-01-2008, 05:36
Do you think it might also have to do with the Luna Wolves battle strategy? Attack in a pack and go for the heart.

Eulenspiegel
02-01-2008, 06:17
Wolves go for the heart? :cool:

I think the Luna Wolves have next to no connection with wolves, except as what Minister said, a heraldic icon. In the few pictures there are you donīt see them going overboard with wolf-merchandise, a la the Space Wolves.
And they certainly donīt emulate wolves in their combat doctrine (shy, retiring, complex social structure, kill only to feed ;) ).

dr.oetk3r
02-01-2008, 06:24
Ah what can i say? :P

SigonWulf
02-01-2008, 08:11
Wolves go for the heart? :cool:

I think the Luna Wolves have next to no connection with wolves, except as what Minister said, a heraldic icon. In the few pictures there are you donīt see them going overboard with wolf-merchandise, a la the Space Wolves.
And they certainly donīt emulate wolves in their combat doctrine (shy, retiring, complex social structure, kill only to feed ;) ).

I thought Pre-heresy Luna Wovles we're usually quick to the kill?

PaRaSiTe_X92
02-01-2008, 09:35
They were (although wolves got for the neck, not heart). However, as Eulenspiegel said, wolves are very sly and kill only to feed (i.e. to save their lives), whereas the Luna Wolves weren't exactly sly and the killed because they were told to.

Shibboleth
02-01-2008, 09:48
Horus, and even his retinue, seem to be wearing wolf pelts in their HH artwork, but still not any wolf-like geneseed effects, etc...

Chainsworded Codpiece
02-01-2008, 16:21
I may very well be yanking this outta my behind, but...

I thought that the only reason that the LW were called so is becuase of some honorific (or, essentially, nickname) that their Legion earned in the Unification Wars.

I remember that they had apparently kicked three shades of Holy Hannah out of some "non-compliants" on the inhabited areas of Luna, and took Luna's weapons factories for the Emperor.

Their ferocity in doing so got them known as the "Wolves of Luna".

I mean, it couldn't have had to do with their origin point, right? Then they would have been known as the Wolves of Terra or the Wolves of Cthonia...

Wikhed
02-01-2008, 16:59
Lunar Wolves first sign of heresy should've been noticed immediately by the gift shop in the hangar bay.

bigbear bailey
02-01-2008, 17:13
Read the Horus heresy novels bro... That well solve all your problems... They fight dirty as long as they win and I knwo the books shed a lot of light on what you want to know about them... PLUS they're a really good read.