PDA

View Full Version : 2K Orcs and Goblins List

azkyle85
01-01-2008, 21:04
This is my first attempt at Orcs and Goblins. Any comments are appreciated.

Overall, I have a lot of spider riders for flanks, diversions, march blocks, etc. while the 3 blocks of orcs head up the middle with the chariot, giant, hoppers, etc. covering the flanks. The shooty stuff I keep for the occasional heavy unit of knights or Stank. Thanks in advance for any comments.

CHARACTERS
Orc Warboss -- Gnashas, Amulet of Protectyness, Akrit Axe 200
Orc Big Boss Battle Standard -- Light Armor, BS, Spirit Totem 147
Orc Big Boss -- Best Basha, Light Armor 87

CORE
24 x Orc Boyz -- Shield, Choppa, Command 174
24 x Orc Big Uns' -- 2 x Choppa, Command, Banner of Butchery 319
24 x Orc Boyz -- Shield, Choppa, Command 174
5 x Spider Riders -- Musician 71

SPECIAL
2 x Bolt Throwers 70
10 x Squig Hoppers 150
Orc Chariot 80

RARE
Doom Diver 80
Giant 205

Total: 2000

warlord hack'a
02-01-2008, 11:36
looks like a slid list though I would certainly recommend adding a shaman with scrolls for some extra magic protection. I know Spitir totem helps but sometimes you just want a scroll to really stop a spell from messing you up..

Also, personally I never leave home without some night gobbo's with fanatics, to stop those enemy knight units from hurting you..

Tonedogbf110
02-01-2008, 11:41
Its a good all rounder, but weak on magic defense.

scroll caddy might be useful.
although as Hack'a says N/Gobbos are pretty handy too. you could probably get about 40 - 60 of them with fanatics instead by dropping one boyz reg.

also I like to bring 2 chariots personally as they are prone to missile fire. Although I reckon your giant is going to soak this up. so not essential.

azkyle85
02-01-2008, 18:47
ok, here is a revised list using your advice. I dropped one of the orc characters and one unit of boyz. This allowed me enough points to add a NG shaman with a scroll and two units of NGs with 2 fanatics a piece. I wanted an orc shaman because I like their magic better, but I didn't have the points, and this way the gobo can go inside one of the newly added units.

So overall, this list has some more magic defense, but the gobo units have no command (lack of points again), unless I drop some fanatics. So here it is:

CHARACTERS
Orc Warboss -- Gnashas, Amulet of Protectyness, Akrit Axe 200
Orc Big Boss Battle Standard -- Light Armor, BSB, Spirit Totem 147
Night Goblin Shaman -- Dispel Scroll 75

CORE
23 x Orc Boyz -- Shield, Choppa, Command 168
24 x Orc Big Uns' -- 2 x Choppa, Command, Banner of Butchery 319
20 x Night Goblins -- 2 x Fanatics 110
20 x Night Goblins -- 2 x Fanatics 110

SPECIAL
2 x Bolt Throwers 70
10 x Squig Hoppers 150
Orc Chariot 80

RARE
Doom Diver 80
Giant 205

Total: 1998

warlord hack'a
03-01-2008, 07:46
well looks solid, but perhaps you can fine tune it a bit more:
- ditch the boss in the big un unit, you pay a lot of points for one extra attack (mind you, a boss in a normal orc unit gives you not only one extra attack but also an extra ws and extra S, making him worth his points, a boss in a big un unit only has one attack more compared to a big un, not worth the points..)
- maybe ditch a few hoppers, 10 is a LOT, though this is good you might save a bit of points here.
- the points you save from the above two cuts might give you enough points to buy your shaman the mad cap mushrooms, put him in a night gobbo unit with three fanatics and watch the opponent hurt himself when his fancy knights charge your big uns and get 3 to 6 rerolleable d6 hits on the unit.

that's about it, for the rest the list looks fun, be careful with your giant as he is prone to getting shot and is too expensive for that..

lparigi34
03-01-2008, 10:40
Hacka's advice sounds nice to me, specially dropping the Biggun Champ.

Also one bigger gobbo unit with full options (including nets) usually can do the job better, but points permitting you may have two, a big one fully loaded and a small one with no upgrades but carrying only a fanatic and that will be used as a fodder.

You bet the giant will be shot down, mine hasn't touch the enemy in last 3 battles... that is why I bring him in! The enemy focuses his eyes on the large stuff until the green wave cries Whaaagh!!!

Nice list. Good Luck and let us know how it performed.

Disciple of Caliban
03-01-2008, 12:50
2nd list looks solid, just a couple of suggestions:

Drop 3 hoppers, 7 should be able to do the job just as well.
Drop 1 fanatic from each unit, i think fanatics work better for the psychological advantage they offer, rather than the damage they cause.
Drop the boss from the big uns.

This saves a little over 100 pts which could be used to bolster your NG units to (at least)25 strong, meaning they can take casualties before losing rank bonus. The remaining points could then be used to buy another spear chucka or 2, which are always handy.

A more serious change that you could consider would be replacing the Giant with trolls, these do much the same thing (i.e. get shot, lots) but come in a bit cheaper, which would give you a few more points to play with.

Tonedogbf110
03-01-2008, 13:27
agree with most of these cuts, but in the defense of keeping as many fanatics in, they can 'potentially' wreck an enemy unit.

gobbos are not tough so protect the unit with yor shaman.
otherwise having no command in the gobbos units is fine as gobbo bosses are pants anyway and dont add much.

see the rank and file as totally expendable and use them to try and block or soften up enemy units.

Fredmans
04-01-2008, 21:40
List looks decent to me, a suggestion is to put the Waagh banner instead of Nogg's banner in the big'uns. That extra D6 on top of a Waagh means your boys will not get stranded or avoided as easily.

Also, I find Fanatics to work best on flanks. The fanatics' special rule considering direction of flight occasionally causes extreme results. Once, three dragon ogres fled off the table to my opponent's dismay. I would put two or three fanatics in one of your NG units on one of your flanks, and none in the other and keep it as a bait/support unit for your main fighting units. If you ditch 2 squig hoppers and 2 fanatics that leaves you another 80 points to spend on another special slot. The cheap O&G specials are all extremely good and well worth their points. Another Orc Chariot perhaps?

/Fredmans