PDA

View Full Version : Endings that ruin the series?

Jon_Irenicus
02-01-2008, 01:31
I'm talking about some decent series that you enjoy, but feel that the ending was a let-down. I also advise the use of the spoiler tag, so as to recommend series and not blow the endings for anyone. Shall I start, then?

[TV]
Dexter series 2 - I really advise this. It's a great watch, though mature content (not only regarding murder) is ripe thru the series. In a time where everyone is looking at Heroes, Dr. House and Lost (at least, my friends are), I found this to be an undeservedly unapreciated series. 5 out of 5.

I really, really had my fingers crossed for Doakes - I mean, I didn't want Dexter to get caught, but Doakes dying was also against my liking (but better than just killing the main character). The Sargeant was a very interesting character and it's sad to see him go push some daysies in such an inglorious way. The scene where LaGuerta is handing the panflets made me tearful - he was a good guy, after all.

[Anime]
Evangelion - a great watch, too, not only because the action and the animation are still top notch IMHO in today's standards, though at start (first two episodes) it may look like a stereotypical mecha anime.
The series' ending is baffling. Even with the movies, it could have shown what Shinji and Asuka's life is going to be like - and if she lost her arm and her eye. I guess that the new Eva movies will either shed some light on this or develop the endings in a different way.

All time winner IMO - Berserk. Don't let the old timestamp fool you, even though the drawing is old, the animation is still good (fluent movement, for example - they really spent some money on this). Gritting, despairing, daring and shoking, and also extremely violent! This is not a series for the faint hearted.

Even though I read the mangas, I feel sorry the series did not go on. Instead, they chose to end it at a key point and failed to introduce wonderful characters, like the Skull Knight.

Finally, Hunter X Hunter. People who liked Dragon Ball will enjoy this old series, it's packed with great characters, and isn't as slow moving. The fights are also cool, and get better mid-series.

It ends in a cliffhanger. Gon found his father? Is it the end of his quest? What about Kuroro Lucifer (a delicious villain), and Hisoka? Lots of room for development, but alas, the creator got sick or something and the manga ended abruptly.

Also, I don't want to turn this into an anime-bash, but I hate Naruto Shippuden with a passion, nearly as much as I disliked the fillers from the last series. Truly, as someone who reads the mangas, a total waste of producing means (though judging from the animation, it's not that much waste...). - Sorry, had to get it off my chest. I never posted anything about this, and since I got started about anime and stuff... Those of you who watch the series, I'm sure you'll understand my feelings :)

I'm sorry that I don't talk about more TV series, it's just that the most recent one I have in mind is this one. I hope you, the reader, will find this thread useful and I can always use it to expand my tastes and knowledge. And remember, just because me, or X, didn't like an ending, doesn't mean that the series isn't worth it, or that you won't enjoy it. So, get writing!

ExquisiteEvil
02-01-2008, 01:44
Guyver Series.

In thelast one some answers are given but many more questions asked - It ended on a cliff hanger that made out there was more to come - alas there wasnt :/

Hellebore
02-01-2008, 01:48
The ending of the Pretender series.

I loved that show, and then they went off the deep end and went all crazy and crap.

I actually liked the end of Berserk - I'd not read any of the Manga, and the ending just fit with the despair of the story.

I know some people who watch the first episode after the last one, so the story isn't so depressing.

Hellebore

chromedog
02-01-2008, 01:54
Hellebore, did you see any of "the pretender" movies? They did add to the story, but still really didn't resolve much (to my hazy memory).

Any Star Trek series. The endings all sucked the big one. DS9 had perhaps the best of them, but was still ruined by the long shots of people just staring into space in a whole "woe is me!" emo moment.

sigur
02-01-2008, 01:59
It's funny how many people think that Evangelion's ending (tv series or End of Evangelion) is bad.

Quentin
02-01-2008, 02:28
There is in fact a Manga that elaborates on that alternate universe you see at the end of the Eva TV series. It's called Neon Genesis Evangelion Angelic Days.

As for an ending that ruins the series... Hmmm... How about...?

Red Dwarf?

Does poor Rimmer die or not? What's happened to the rest of the Red Dwarf crew? Will they ever make a Red Dwarf movie?!

der_lex
02-01-2008, 02:37
I personally thought the ending of Alias was a bit disappointing, although Jack, as always, was the incarnation of awesomeness: "You beat death, Arvin. But you couldn't beat me," The rest of it all seemed a bit too convenient, though...I guess it was a bit more of a happy end than I'd had liked to see.

Darkangeldentist
02-01-2008, 02:45
A good topic and not just for anime.

I'll make my apologies now but I don't like the spoiler function and find it more irritating than it's worth. I've tried to avoid actual spoilers so please forgive me.

I think the thing about anime in particular is the need to leaving it open ended. The endings can be very final but always leave so many questions you feel need answering. Eva is king in this respect for me. Although I actually really like the ending(s).

Berserk I thought ended very well. It's just they never made a second series! I saw it and it struck me dumb with how unexpectedly shocking it was. Looking back on it though it made perfect sense. It works and is in fact very fitting to end the series the way it did.

The very final end to Buffy didn't work for me, but by that point I had stopped caring anyway. It just wasn't fun anymore to me.

Series 8 of Red Dwarf. The whole series felt a bit wrong but the end was just a bit too needless. (Although if the grim reaper did come to claim Rimmer I can see that happening)

The last episode of Kolchak:The night stalker was awful, not really an ending as such but a dreadful last episode none the less.

Other anime candidates would include;

His and Her circumstances. The last quarter of the series didn't really have enough content for one episode (and about the same budget). A very odd romantic comedy that starts off very enjoyably.

Texhnolyze. A bleak series to begin with but the last few episodes and the end in particular were just very, very depressing. Made a interesting and good series extremely morbid.

Jon_Irenicus
02-01-2008, 02:51
Guyver Series.

In thelast one some answers are given but many more questions asked - It ended on a cliff hanger that made out there was more to come - alas there wasnt :/

The new one, or the old one? I think a remake was released, but I didn't watch either.

It's funny how many people think that Evangelion's ending (tv series or End of Evangelion) is bad.

I thought that the ending was ok, by some standards. It actually depends on the mood - the "TV" series ended in an ungrateful way compared to the rest of the series. As for the movies,

I liked the "it doesn't end well, sort of" approach and the depressive tone, but I think that DaR's ending could've been better handled. Given the series, I wasn't surprised, but all in all it deserved far more than 26 ep's plus movie.

The Berserk manga totally rocks, especially when Guts gets the Berserker armour and takes care of a group of monsters he would've had trouble with even if they were one on one against him. Then again, the armour itself is a danger to his Id, since it feeds on his animal impulses. Besides, the manga explores other stuff the series doesn't, like...

the shocking scene where Guts was sold as an infant for 3 silver pieces by his foster father, to a mercenary, for one night, and is raped, his (this isn't necessarily a bad omission, but he is an important part of the manga) companion, a comic-relief style tiny elf with butterfly wings, Cheska also surviving the Sacrifice and the effects of her rape by Femto on hers and Guts' unborn child, the King of Midland's real reasons behind Griffith's imprisionment, etc. A recommended read, though it can be expensive if you plan on buying the whole, as of now still unfinished collection.

What does everyone think of Fullmetal Alchemist? I loved the series but I thought that the movie was rushed.

Jon_Irenicus
02-01-2008, 03:02
A good topic and not just for anime. Thanks, much appreciated!

I'll make my apologies now but I don't like the spoiler function and find it more irritating than it's worth. I've tried to avoid actual spoilers so please forgive me.

No problem, it's just in case someone wants to fully enjoy any of the stuff recommended here, but I preferred using the Spoilers tag so as some discussion can follow.

Berserk I thought ended very well. It's just they never made a second series! I saw it and it struck me dumb with how unexpectedly shocking it was. Looking back on it though it made perfect sense. It works and is in fact very fitting to end the series the way it did.

You might want to watch GunGrave. I don't know why, but I always thought the two were similar, although the later is much less violent. The last episodes weren't as good as the first ones because it deviates too much from what we got used to in the beginning (it starts in the future, with a reanimated man - Beyond the Grave - throwing some hurt against white, scantly clad creatures from his two huge guns. It clearly starts as an action series but this later becomes second (or third...) to the friendship and climb-to-power themes.

Other anime candidates would include;

His and Her circumstances. The last quarter of the series didn't really have enough content for one episode (and about the same budget). A very odd romantic comedy that starts off very enjoyably.

Texhnolyze. A bleak series to begin with but the last few episodes and the end in particular were just very, very depressing. Made a interesting and good series extremely morbid.

I've been meaning to watch Texh, as it's from the highly-praised creators of Lain. But then again, it's a mind-taxing affair, and I'm yet to watch the other one they made about "angels" that I can't recall.

His and Her Circumstances looked nice enough, some friends of mine were watching it the other day and it seemed hilarious, but the last anime I saw about school, love (in a strange way) and kids was GTO, and I now live in fear that anything else is going to be a let-down. Which is a great series that ended with a lot going for it too - like Onizuka's past and future doings.

Darkangeldentist
02-01-2008, 03:26
I have a list of anime I want to watch a mile long. Gungrave and Full metal alchemist are up near the top.

His and her's is hilarious and well worth a look but as I said the last episodes just don't even approach the level of the first half of the series.

GTO is hard to match. I love and adore that series. It's so very good and fun as to be very hard for anything to live up to.

Haibane Renmei is the series I think you're talking about. Wasn't taken by the look particularly but anything by the people who did Lain is worth a look. Texhnolyze is a very stylish and clever series. The ending was a bit of let-down because I didn't think they carried it off as smoothly as they needed to for such a maudlin series. It's still a good series.

Although off topic one series with an ending that lifts the whole series is Argento soma which starts off badly but runs it course to a very good finish. (Which for an apocalyptic series that owes much to evangelion is definately not the norm.)

Nephilim of Sin
02-01-2008, 03:57
Sopranos. There is nothing to really say about it, because nothing can be said about it.

Shuya
02-01-2008, 04:41
Allthough I dont like how Dexter isnt staying true to the books its still a good series, i agree that Doakes death was kinda weak, in the books he is a victim of the second books villian, he has his hands and feet and tounge removed but lives unable to torment Dexter anymore (the Villians MO was to cut of all extremities, eye lids, ears, legs etc and leave the person infront of a mirror so they can see what they look like and go mad, but Deb kills the villian before he is finished with Doakes, leaving him half done). Personally i didnt like the books dealing with Doakes either but its better than the TV series

Also Blackadders ending in general, everytime i watch it i regret how they didnt make more episodes.

And Red Dwarfs ending was a reedemer, made watching the god awful last few series worthwile to see Rimmer kick death in the goolies.

Jampire
02-01-2008, 06:03
I'm a huge fan of Farscape and I watched it religiously, then BLAM! Sci-Fi (or someone anyways...) pulled the show... Totally left the 4th season on a major cliffhanger.
Granted the movie had a proper ending, but it just wasn't the same seeing as I had to wait a few years for it to come out.
I heard the show was pulled to give better funding to Stargate... Lord what a horrific show...

superknijn
02-01-2008, 08:46
The ending of Star Trek: The Nex Generation, in Star Trek: Nemesis. I mean, that film was directed by sokmeone who had no prior knowledge of Star Trek!
Not to mention the stupidity of the characters and the action-orientated plot.

ArtificerArmour
02-01-2008, 10:25
Firefly :p

I didn't like the DS9 one, because they were reusing of old battle footage from throughout the series. It's very dissapointing to be fobbed off like that, put some effort it - it's the last one you'll ever do!

Wisdom
02-01-2008, 10:35
Deadwood has to be the worst ever for that. It was scripted for 4 seasons but was cancelled after the 3rd season had already been filmed meaning we were left with an episode that would have been a brilliant lead in to the next series but didn't resolve anything whatsoever.

TheOverlord
02-01-2008, 10:52
Matrix trilogy :D

Loved the first one, the last two were very very 'meh'.

scratchbuilt
02-01-2008, 11:04
Agreed on Sopranos.
If the therapy has no effect, how come it cured his panic attacks? How did AJ stop being such an emo? It really undermines everything that came before. I thought we where learning how ****ed in the head they all where, but it seems in fact that everything was hunky dory and it was all a series of unrelated anecdotes.

Is there a second series of Dexter?:cool:

Scythe
02-01-2008, 11:34
To be honest, there are very few series which do really have a good ending for me. Regardless of series, your anticipation and expectations for a finale always tends to be huge, and those are rarely matched. Next to that, there is the huge pressure of creating open endings, keeping the door open for future seasons or series. Finally, a lot of series end long after their expirancy date has been passed, or die way too early (like firefly). All these things lead to crappy series finales.

Also Blackadders ending in general, everytime i watch it i regret how they didnt make more episodes.

Funny, Blackadders ending is one of those endings I do actually like. Great serious finale for one of the best comedic series out there. It actually touches you. Another ending I enjoyed was the one of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in the order it aired and was intended to, not the chronological ending!), simply because the whole series seemingly random airing method worked so well! But then, it isn't really a finale, as a second season is comming up. Cowboy Bebop had a very nice finale as well.

simonr1978
02-01-2008, 11:51
Series 8 of Red Dwarf. The whole series felt a bit wrong but the end was just a bit too needless. (Although if the grim reaper did come to claim Rimmer I can see that happening)

Seconded on Red Dwarf. The whole problem with Series 8, reading the commentary in the script book was that they were more or less forced to make it. They had a contract with the BBC to make 8 series and the BBC were apparently adamant they were going to get an 8th Series out of them, so they deliberately came up with the most expensive episodes and special effects they could in the belief that the BBC would take one look at the budget and say no, unfortunately the BBC said yes (That said they still went over budget which is apparently partly why it ended on a cliffhanger), so they had to go ahead with the series they didn't want to make. Never a situation likely to bring out the best creatively.

Equally unfortunately there's no way really they could finish it now, neither another series nor the film are ever likely to happen.

DarthSte
02-01-2008, 11:55
I personally thought the ending of Alias was a bit disappointing, although Jack, as always, was the incarnation of awesomeness: "You beat death, Arvin. But you couldn't beat me," The rest of it all seemed a bit too convenient, though...I guess it was a bit more of a happy end than I'd had liked to see.

One of my Facebook Quotes. Jack was awesome. I think the final episode was far too final. It would have nice for a few characters to not have been tidily cleared away at the end.

Wintermute
02-01-2008, 18:26
Remember Kolchak and Firefly were cancelled mid-season, therefore the last episodes were not intended to be the last episode.

And all time worst last episode must be the ending of Blake's Seven, when Avon shot Blake and then the impression was given they were all killed by Federation Troopers .

Arnizipal
02-01-2008, 18:29
Another ending I enjoyed was the one of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in the order it aired and was intended to, not the chronological ending!), simply because the whole series seemingly random airing method worked so well! But then, it isn't really a finale, as a second season is comming up.
There is? :eek:

*rejoices*

As for endings that disappointed, the end of Rozen Maiden was quite a downer.

They killed some characters, one of which I really liked, and didn't resolve a single thing storywise. :(

The pestilent 1
02-01-2008, 18:44
The ending of Generation 1 Transformers. (both of them)

First, they kill of Prime. Again. (Dark Awakening) Then they allow Rodimus to grow as a character (Burden hardest to bear) THEN They bring Prime back again to combat the hate plague and Rodimus gets shafted just as he's begining to grow as a leader. (Figure out what the episodes called..)
:eyebrows:

Oh. Yeah. Then they gave us The Rebirth.
A five part episode smushed into a three parter, that was based upon a decidedly shoddy conception in the first place.

Behold people. My hate for G1.

Hellebore
02-01-2008, 21:36
Perhaps you should avail yourself of Japan's Headmasters series that replaces Rebirth.

It follows on from season 3, but writes a different origin for the Headmasters, and actually retains Rodimus as Leader.

Hellebore

Darkangeldentist
02-01-2008, 23:24
And all time worst last episode must be the ending of Blake's Seven, when Avon shot Blake and then the impression was given they were all killed by Federation Troopers .

Very good point. I'd tried hard to erase how horrible that ending was. Season three wasn't good either but the 4th's was downright incensing.

Back to Kolchak though, they'd gotten pretty close to the end of the season. Very odd to cancel that far in. The remake with Stuart Townsend was canceled much earlier about as far in as Firefly.

Jon_Irenicus
02-01-2008, 23:46
I have a list of anime I want to watch a mile long. Gungrave and Full metal alchemist are up near the top.

Well worth the watch, both of them. Gripping and dramatic. I've always said that people who place true value on friendship and brotherhood (especially younger brothers) feel both series are well worth for their content - and they do not disappoint on most of the other aspects.

Haibane Renmei is the series I think you're talking about.
Although off topic one series with an ending that lifts the whole series is Argento soma which starts off badly but runs it course to a very good finish. (Which for an apocalyptic series that owes much to evangelion is definately not the norm.)

It was Haibane, I love the opening theme - I think it's a very strong melody. Gives me the chills everytime I hear it :D

And I've been meaning to get my hands on AS, but I've got so many series to watch and so little time for my hobbies that it just keeps getting pushed back.

Matrix trilogy :D

Loved the first one, the last two were very very 'meh'.

Hear, hear!

Blackadders ending is one of those endings I do actually like. Great serious finale for one of the best comedic series out there. It actually touches you. Another ending I enjoyed was the one of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in the order it aired and was intended to, not the chronological ending!), simply because the whole series seemingly random airing method worked so well! But then, it isn't really a finale, as a second season is comming up. Cowboy Bebop had a very nice finale as well.

I feel sad about Blackadder ending, not the ending in particular, because the characters are really enjoyable. Especially in the third season, that has got to be some of the best comedy I've seen and far surpasses anything Atkinson has done afterwards.
The Melancholy has never been a priority of mine, I've heard of it but it never really caught my eye.

And Cowboy Bebop has to have the most explosive finale in a series. It's probably my favourite, as nothing was overlooked - animation, overall quality, music - everything was top-notch. Though the series should've been bigger. Things like Vicious' past, Spike's connection to Shin and Lin... So many unanswered questions. But it's phenomenal and I just can't say why. It just rocks.

Another series that I found absolutely spectacular was Death Note. Aside from some flaws in thought (and the fact that L and Light should've fought over a chess board, not tennis - like in the movie :) ) I still think that overall it's well worth the watch.

*major spoiler*
Even with L's death and all, I thought that Near and Mello were worthy successors. But the anime ending was a bit of a letdown, and they would've done better to stick with the ending in the manga. I took Mello's death a bit hard, but I think that L's was one of the most "I don't believe it" moments I've ever seen in any series.

Oh, and X-Files.

The series (4th? 5th?) when Scully talks to the FBI head-honchos about Mulder commiting suicide. "Agent Mulder died late last night, victim of a self-inflicted gun shot wound on the head.". Should have stayed that way.

Another Spoiler, this time about Twin Peaks!

Did the series end with the Detective crashing his head against the mirror, or was that the ending of one of the seasons? I wanted to watch it properly, but if that's the ending I'll save revisiting it for later.

Anyway, sorry about all the spoiler tags, like I said I don't want to ruin anyone's watch.

Wintermute
03-01-2008, 06:47
Back to Kolchak though, they'd gotten pretty close to the end of the season. Very odd to cancel that far in. The remake with Stuart Townsend was canceled much earlier about as far in as Firefly.

It was the Kolchak remake I was referring to in my earlier post.

Inquisitor Engel
03-01-2008, 07:01
Cowboy Bebop's ending is one of those bittersweet things. The series has these giant gaps of time (since there's no references between all that many of the episodes) so it's not like things can't occur between them, but there can't be that much character development and have the rest of the series make sense.

Still, outstanding, amazing ending. If you can find it, the AMV of Cowboy Bebop set of "Only in Dreams" by Weezer captures the series in general pretty well.

Endings that spoilt a series? Not really spoiling the series, but disappointing - Stargate SG-1. What a pants ending. Hopefully the DVD Movies rectify this (although I don't see how they're going to do that without some serious Deus Ex Machina to get Carter back at random.)

firestorm40k
03-01-2008, 07:04
Although it's not the ending of the series, the end of Galaxy in Flames completely spoiled any further interest I had in the series.

basically, I think killing Loken at the end was a very poor decision from an editorial and narrative stand-point, as till then the series had been drawn from his perspective, and it was to my mind a neat angle for a series of stories that, basically, we already know the outcome of: that a few individual members of the traitor legions did not turn, and perhaps escaped the carnage of Istvaan somehow to fight for the Emperor, perhaps forming the Grey Knights or some other secret organistion.
Also, I don't think it helps that the series has become so formulaic now:

- first 3rd of book: Future traitor Chapter fights and eventually overcomes über hard Alien race. Meanwhile, stoic but dull Captain Character clashes with Arrogant Captain Character, who is head of Warrior Lodges etc.
- 2nd 3rd of book: Future traitor legion sent on another mission (possibly with another Legion). Dull Captain argues with Arrogant Captain more over fears that Legion is turning from Emperor.
- Final 3rd of book: during campaign Legion turns, either clashes with Loyalist legion or hunts down those within who haven't turned to Horus.

Now wash, rinse and repeat for dozens and dozens of increasingly uninspired books, which are lapped up regardless and make a mint for the Black Library. :rolleyes:

Satan
03-01-2008, 07:20
Space: Above and beyond. They ought to have made another season or two. Great drama, it pains me that they left it unresolved.

On a similiar note - can the writer's strike pleeeeeease end so that they can finish Battlestar Galactica off properly? That is definitively the best thing I've ever seen on television. Period.

Scythe
03-01-2008, 07:38
There is? :eek:

*rejoices*

Details are extremely sparse, but it has been anounced last year (link (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-12-17/new-haruhi-suzumiya-anime-series-details-revealed), link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya#_note-35)). Supposed air dates are still unknown.

Another series that I found absolutely spectacular was Death Note. Aside from some flaws in thought (and the fact that L and Light should've fought over a chess board, not tennis - like in the movie ) I still think that overall it's well worth the watch.

Ahh, death note. Great series, though I am in double minds about the ending. I didn't think the tv ending was all that bad though. Light running away and the flashbacks to the moment of him when he just found the death note are very well done, and the music at those moments is ace. The ending 'feels' simple though. Light could have won, with a little more care.

edit: fixed links

reds8n
03-01-2008, 10:17
I guess after the number of lame episodes it deserved to be cancelled, but I must confess to sitting in stunned bewilderment at the ending of the last Trek : Enterprise.:confused:

I mean, what was the point of that ?:rolleyes:

Hellebore
03-01-2008, 10:27
Agreed Reds8n.

As much as the fans hated the show (and with good reason) I thought that ending was highly disrespectful to the actors in the show. They put a lot of work in developing their characters and to have that taken away no matter the quality of the show (which really wasn't their fault) I think is terrible.

Hellebore

Arnizipal
03-01-2008, 10:28
Details are extremely sparse, but it has been anounced last year (link (http://http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-12-17/new-haruhi-suzumiya-anime-series-details-revealed), link (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya#_note-35)). Supposed air dates are still unknown.

Thanks, that's good news (even though the links are bust).

reds8n
03-01-2008, 10:33
Agreed Reds8n.

As much as the fans hated the show (and with good reason) I thought that ending was highly disrespectful to the actors in the show. They put a lot of work in developing their characters and to have that taken away no matter the quality of the show (which really wasn't their fault) I think is terrible.

Hellebore

yeah, I felt it was also a real kick in the teeth for those fans who did like the show. Alright there clearly weren't that many ( or not enough at least) but I thought that ending was almost spiteful.

But then again I thought the ending of Blake's 7 was excellant bravura television so I'm clearly a heretic.

Oh yes-- secret shame here :o-- Robin of Sherwood clearly deserved a better ending. Connery was nowhere near as good as Praed but he had been improving. LOusy network politics.

DarkSoldier
03-01-2008, 14:47
On a similiar note - can the writer's strike pleeeeeease end so that they can finish Battlestar Galactica off properly? That is definitively the best thing I've ever seen on television. Period.
Sci-Fi shafted BSG, just like it did to SG-1, Farscape, and MST3K. I heard that Ronald D. Moore wanted five seasons to tell the story, and Sci-Fi's cutting it off after four.

The strike likely won't end until the AMPTP stop being twunts and actually give the writers they money they rightfully deserve. As of now, only The Late Show with David Letterman has an active writing staff; Dave owns the production company and recently settled with his writers.

The pestilent 1
03-01-2008, 15:06
Agreed Reds8n.

Hellebore

*Knows a lot of Star Trek Fans that liked the show*
In it's entirety I mean, it did have some pretty sub-par episodes, but the overall plot ark was a damned good idea.

And it was better than about 90% of Voyager.

@Hellebore

I have headmasters, and I've not yet been able to sit through the entire series due to the bloody awful dubbing.
I do keep meaning to though :(
Wait... was it Headmasters or Victory that ended with Scorponok going batshitnutty and blowing up Cybertron?

Xisor
03-01-2008, 15:11
I have to concur on ST: Enterprise. The final season contains some of the best Star Trek episodes and serials ever made, with some genuinely compelling characters, yet the ending was absolutely horrendous. Worse than horrendous, to be honest.

Anyhow, other endings that ruined it:

Babylon 5

Only kidding :p. Only one I've cried at...

Actually, I can't think of more, to be honest. Ah well!

redbaron998
03-01-2008, 15:38
Although not a TV series the Dawn of War book series had a ending that destroyed the whole thing for me

The series was overall not bad, the first being the best and getting progesively worse.

But do yourself a favor and when you are finishing the 3rd one skip the last couple of paragraphs. The author should have had his writing hand cut off for that

Promethius
03-01-2008, 16:52
Another vote for Red Dwarf. Now all that is left is to hope against hope that more episodes are made so that that mistake can be rectified.

Got to say that I loved the end to the final Blackadder, although I am getting tired of Curtis' political messages. I've tended to view comedy as an escape from the real world, & finding them used as vehicles to encourage donations (cough *vicar of dibley* cough) ruins the enjoyment.

Don't think the lack of further firefly episodes can be seen as a bad ending to the series, more a criticism of fox; it's just a shame we won't be seeing anymore of the crew of serenity in tv/film form.

Wintermute
03-01-2008, 17:53
Space: Above and beyond. They ought to have made another season or two. Great drama, it pains me that they left it unresolved.

It was lucky to make it to a full series. It was nearly cancelled mid-season which is why it changed direction (and had a new credit sequence) for the second half of the season. To be honest it was a dreadful show and should have been cancelled mid-season.

I suspect it will not be finished. The entire production team/crew and actors have all been laid off after completing 13 of the planned 20 episodes

Sci-Fi shafted BSG, just like it did to SG-1, Farscape, and MST3K. I heard that Ronald D. Moore wanted five seasons to tell the story, and Sci-Fi's cutting it off after four.

Really, can you provide a link to support this? Because I was of the opinion it was Moore's idea to finish after season 4.

thegnome
03-01-2008, 20:05
The ending was Moore and Eick's decision:

Variety article featuring press release (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117966089.html?categoryid=1417&cs=1&p=0)
LA Times article corroborating (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/05/say_it_aint_fra.html)

Icarus
03-01-2008, 20:26
I suspect it will not be finished. The entire production team/crew and actors have all been laid off after completing 13 of the planned 20 episodes

If BSG is not properly finished I will be charging those responsible with crimes against humanity!

Hellebore
03-01-2008, 23:39
*Knows a lot of Star Trek Fans that liked the show*
In it's entirety I mean, it did have some pretty sub-par episodes, but the overall plot ark was a damned good idea.

And it was better than about 90% of Voyager.

@Hellebore

I have headmasters, and I've not yet been able to sit through the entire series due to the bloody awful dubbing.
I do keep meaning to though :(
Wait... was it Headmasters or Victory that ended with Scorponok going batshitnutty and blowing up Cybertron?

Well cybertron gets exploded half way through headmasters by Zarak (or scorponok - the japanese/english name problems give me a headache) - the head rather than the body.

You don't have a Japanese language option with subtitles? The one I bought has both (it even has two different sets of subtitles - one with the japanese names and one with the english).

Hellebore

theunwantedbeing
04-01-2008, 01:30
Stargate SG-1, the last episode was a joke......
Not a bad plot but executed terribly and everyone in the whole freaking episode missed out on the obvious way of exploiting all that they had found.

I forget how Farscape eneded.....perhaps it's good that I dont?
Oh no wait....the bit about the black hole weapon and scaring everyone into submission and then calling their son dargo(wasnt sure if thats giving too much away so I spoiler tagged it). Mundane really.

The ending to Reboot....although, depite being possibly the biggest cliffhanger ever...actually that ending was brilliant.

The ending to the third matrix was terrible....well most of the movie was infact, although the ending to the second one was brilliant, the uproar at the cinema was incredible.

Im sure there are others that have crappy endings that I have seen.....
Although I probably erased them from my mind.

I do like cliffhanger endings, or seeing everyone killed off as then its nice and final as an ending...happily every after endings are always boring.

Satan
04-01-2008, 06:09
It wa lucky to make it to a full series. It was nearly cancelled mid-season which is why it changed direction (and had a new credit sequence) for the second half of the season. To be honest it was a dreadful show and should have been cancelled mid-season.

Really think so? I always thought it was interesting all through. Not on the same level as BSG, but watching "the angriest angel"-episode definitively gives me the chills.

I suspect it will not be finished. The entire production team/crew and actors have all been laid off after completing 13 of the planned 20 episodes.

I've heard the same, although Ronald Moore states that they'd just finished production of the mid-season cliffhanger episode and the airing dates remainder of the season hadn't been settled on anyway so... I guess we'll have to wait for an official announcement. I think it will be finished however. Even if they have to go back and do it as a miniseries.

Kulgur
04-01-2008, 16:23
For those talking about the series 8 Red Dwarf ending, that ending was filmed last minute, the previous one is in series 8 DVD extras iirc

It has them eradicating the virus and flying off while all the Red Dwarf crew are still in their escape ships

simonr1978
04-01-2008, 23:19
If we're going to count books too, I'd like to nominate the Hitchhiker's guide, the first three I found really funny, the slide began with So long and thanks for all the fish. Mostly Harmless has the distinction of being the first book that I regretted reading from start to finish. It just seemed so utterly pointless.

Wintermute
05-01-2008, 08:00
If we're going to count books too, I'd like to nominate the Hitchhiker's guide, the first three I found really funny, the slide began with So long and thanks for all the fish. Mostly Harmless has the distinction of being the first book that I regretted reading from start to finish. It just seemed so utterly pointless.

In retrospect they are not great books to start with :eek:

The first is a (rushed) adaption of the first three episodes of the radio series, the second is a rewrite of episodes four, five and six (re-written to eliminate the bits written by John Lloyd), the third is a re-written and unused Doctor Who script, the fourth was new material and the fifth was just pointless and depressing poor.

Every time Douglas Adams adapted or changed Hitichhikers and the further it moved away from the original, superb, 12 part radio series - it got worse.