PDA

View Full Version : [1500] HoC (Khorne)

Pooky
02-01-2008, 06:01
This is my second attempt at a WFB army. Please be cruel to be kind with the C & C, I need the knowledge:

Exhaulted Champ + MoK + Juggernaut + Berserker Sword + Enchanted Shield

10 Warriors + MoK + Additional hand weapon + Full Command
10 Warriors + MoK + Additional hand weapon + Full Command

12 Marauders + Muso

Beast Herd (12 Gors + 8 Ungors) + 2 Hand Weapons + Full Command

Chariot + MoK

6 Knights + MoK + Full Command

8 Furies

The plan was to have the Marauders in the middle of my deployment with the Warriors on either side of them. On the outside of the Warriors would be the Beasts on one side and the Furies on the other. The Chariot would be behind the front lines to help with a charge. The Furies would be on the flank and the Knights would be on the other. The Exhaulted Champ would probably join the Knights.

The plan was to have the Marauders be bait for the enemy (hence why the unit only has a muso to help with the rally). Once they flee the Warriors then attempt to smash whatever was trying to charge them. The Furies would pick off lone Wizards or Cannon crew.

So, what do you think? Again, please be cruel to be kind!

Albinowski
02-01-2008, 08:59
The hero is nice (love that combo: I myself stick this character [though I use him without the mark] in a unit of marauder horsemen, which them makes him fast cavalry and the unit very deadly).

I'd replace the additional hand weapons with halberds, because you have many attacks anyways, so you wouldn't need more, and extra strength will always come handy (wound better and weaken the enemy's armour save). This is IMO the most optimal approach, but 2x hw can work against low toughness opponents like elves and goblins (especially goblins, since they are very many in numbers, so the extra attacks would come really handy). So decide for yourself. Oh and if you find points for it, make both of the warriors 12 strong: wider frontage -> more attacks.

Your tactics with the marauders could work, but I wouldn't count on it. Baiting works best with units who have high movement, because they can swiftly move foward to threaten some enemy unit, what then has no choice exept to charge the baiter (either charge or be charged situation). But due to the slow movement of the marauders and due to the fact that they have to be more foward than warriors, the warriors must then stay behind, which then gives the enemy's fast units time to perform such maneuvers that they actually can turn the whole situation against you. So I'd recommend you rethink the tactic -> maybe use marauder horsemen instead?

Chariot, furies and knights are nice.

As I understand you're thinking about using the beast herd not as a screen, but as a combat unit? Well if that is the case, then the gor/ungor ratio would work, but I'd think about dropping 2 gors (IMO you wouldn't need so many of them in a 1.5k game).

Pooky
02-01-2008, 10:46
Recommendation noted. I swapped the Marauders with Marauder Horsemen. I also gave them flails so they at least be more useful when/ if they help flank an enemy unit. I couldn't scratch up the spare 64 points for another 4 Warriors to make 2 units of 12 :cries:

So here's take 2 on this list.

10 Warriors + MoK + Halberds + Full Command
10 Warriors + MoK + Halberds + Full Command

Beast Herd (12 Gors + 8 Ungors) + 2 Hand Weapons + Full Command

Chariot + MoK

5 Marauder Horsemen + Flails + Muso

8 Furies

TOTAL 1495
DD 7

Albinowski
02-01-2008, 12:29
I think you should drop 3 gors in order to add shields to your warriors. I always add shields to them, even if they use a two handed weapon. Warriors are pretty expensive and slow, what means that the enemy has plenty of time to shoot them and cast spells at them. Since you are playing Khorne, magic doesn't hurt that much, but shooting still does. That's why shields are good: 4+ save is much, much better than 5+. Even if you don't need them against shooting it's wise to have them, just in case.

Pooky
12-01-2008, 23:22
Take 3...

The unit of Marauders is just a bait unit. They aren't designed to smash the enemy hard (the Chaos Warriors are for that purpose). I dropped down the Beast head since the Ungors never were useful when I charged or was charged. They are just there to screen anyway.

Something that is now bothering me is that my general costs as much as my hardcore unit of knights. I've heard that the kit out is meant to be popular for a Khorn lord, but is there a way I could make him cheaper?

11 Warriors + MoK + Halberds + Sheilds + Full Command

Beast Herd (12 Gors) + 2 Hand Weapons + Muso + Champ

Chariot + MoK

15 Marauders + Muso

8 Furies

TOTAL 1500
DD 7

I was considering dropping 1 Warrior from each unit and getting 5 Warhounds. It was just a thought.

Ethos
13-01-2008, 05:30
Puppies please! You are playing Khorne - so if there's one thing that's always on your mind, it's being bated as result of your Frenzy'd. Puppies are a must in any Khorne army.

As for your Exalted Champ, yes, he is expensive, but can take on most any generic unit by himself. Perhaps to save points you can put him in the chariot (which gives you the same benefits from the Berserker Sword). And speaking of Chariots, I strongly suggest that you run them in pairs. One might be able to do sufficient damage by itself, but two will more than not be totally safe and will have the ability to do plenty of damage to whatever it hits.

Two Khorne chariots: 12 - 22 S5 hits (impact and halberds). I don't care who you are, that's pretty sweet stuff.

Neknoh
13-01-2008, 12:20
It looks good, though there are a few points I'd like to make.

First of all, your Warrior units are too small, or rather, they can't stretch wide enough. You will want a frontage of 6 with them (7 if you face a lot of Orcs), and to do this, you often want a full back rank so as to aid in Casualty soaking. So at least one more Warrior to each unit.

I would also drop the Marauders, they don't really serve a point, despite being bait, they won't really act as such, the unit s too big. Instead, I would take a second Beastherd into the army, they are so much better for Khorne who can easely be baited, a 360 degree, 10" charge will prevent most baiters from getting near your Warriors. I would also remove the Mark of Khorne on your chariot, if only to free up points. If a chariot gets baited into the woods, then it goes "crash".

I would also consider dropping the Champion upgrade from your Knights, it frees up points and makes sure noone can nullify four of your attacks by challenging with a tank-type character. Furthermore, since you are not going to put your Exalted in with them (hopefully), the need for a challenge-absorber lowers even more.

Cheaper Exalted could be gotten by dropping the Berserker Sword for a Hallberd, the Enchanted Shield will still provide him with a 2+ save against shooting, and when he gets into close combat, he's throwing out a lot of strength 6 attacks (you'll only loose 2 attacks at strength 5 in most cases, since your opponent will keep cavalry away from him). Alternatively, you could make him more expensive by dropping the Enchanted for a Normal shield, and swapping the Berserker Sword for a Greatfang, this would give him an anti-armour, anti-charcter role and would scare the **** out of your opponents knights.

Pooky
19-01-2008, 21:17
Take 4... I'll get it right this time...

I found out that the beast herd needs a min of 5 Ungors AND 5 Gors. I had incorrectly added the points of the Hero :cries: That and I finally managed to get the squads up to 12 Warriors strong. I pulled the Champ and the Standard out of the Knight unit because the extra attack and +1 Combat Res seemed too expensive on points for what it was worth.

12 Warriors + MoK + Halberds + Sheilds + Full Command
12 Warriors + MoK + Halberds + Sheilds + Full Command

Beast Herd (12 Gors + 5 Ungors) + 2 Hand Weapons + Muso

Chariot + MoK

6 Knights + MoK + Muso

13 Marauders + Muso

8 Furies

TOTAL 1500
DD 7

Neknoh
20-01-2008, 17:39
Again, swap the Marauders for another Beast Herd, that is all which I have to say really

Pooky
01-02-2008, 11:34
Was doing some work on this list as I was going over my 2000 point list too... Here's what I got:

Beast Herd (12 Gors + 5 Ungors) + 2 Hand Weapons + Muso

Chariot + MoK

6 Knights + MoK + Muso

5 Marauder Horsemen + Flails + Muso

8 Furies

5 Warhounds

TOTAL 1500
DD 7

Albinowski