PDA

View Full Version : The color of Tau blood?

Warp Zero
02-01-2008, 08:10
Hey guys, I'm drawing a pic of a Tau who has been the victim of a Howling Banshee's sword. There's a spray of blood from the swipe. Here's a question, what color is Tau blood? If it was up to me, I'd probably make it like dark blue or inky blue. But .... I'd like to stay close to fluff if I can.

Anyone remember what color their blood was described as in any of the fluff?

Thanks for the help!

Mechanicus
02-01-2008, 09:00
Something between cyan and cobalt blue, I believe. Beyond that, I can't give many answers - whether it is cyan or blue probably depends on how oxygenated it is.

starlight
02-01-2008, 09:10
Red.

For the same reason that Ork blood is red (instead of green as some think it should be). Because it stands out against the skin and makes for a sense of the dramatic. If Tau blood were blue it would blend in and not *pop* so much.

On a *reality* (sorry:() level, if you think skin colour should dictate blood colour, take a gander at humans and other mammals....all have red blood because of the haemoglobin.

Unless of course GW wants to rewrite biology with their *vast*:rolleyes: knowledge of the subject...;)

Hellebore
02-01-2008, 09:17
Well to be fair ork blood USED to be green, but was retconned red.

All the algae and fungus within it made it green. I used to paint ork blood bright green, on the order of scorpion mixed with bad moon - like Predator blood without the luminescence.

I believe Fire Warrior referred to it as blue, and didn't Xenology make some comment about it?

Hellebore

Warp Zero
02-01-2008, 09:23
Red.

On a *reality* (sorry:() level, if you think skin colour should dictate blood colour, take a gander at humans and other mammals....all have red blood because of the haemoglobin.

Well, just to clear things up, I don't think skin color dictates what color blood is. But however, I did say blue or inky blue because....I think it would look cool. No scientific reason what so ever behind that statement. :)

I believe Fire Warrior referred to it as blue, and didn't Xenology make some comment about it?

Hmmm...really? Seems like the general consensus is blue. But does anyone know for sure ....for sure? If not, I'm gonna go with blue. Heh heh.

The fun thing about "artist license". :)

Bregalad
02-01-2008, 09:23
With that introduction, I am reluctant to help and point to all the other threads covering exactly the same topic :rolleyes:

Warp Zero
02-01-2008, 09:44
With that introduction, I am reluctant to help and point to all the other threads covering exactly the same topic :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha! Aw man...don't be like that......

Don't worry, I'll do some pics of Tau kicking butt too. Its just that I wanted a pic with no Imperials in it. Also, this is how our friends and I talk smack to each other. I draw a pic of an Eldar killing a Tau. Then my Tau friend draws one of Tau shooting down our Grav tanks, then my Tyranid friend draws one of a Hive Tyrant slicing both Eldar and Tau! That's just how we are. ;) Plus, I want to fill my gallery up with more 40k pics.

I'll eventually draw something from every army/race.

Bregalad
02-01-2008, 10:17
Well, then,..
fluff offers different answers to that question, have a look at these 2007 threads:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105703
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87923
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98895

BTW, if your friend tolerates bad and ugly writing (and is older than 18), he might get a kick out of reading Goto's Eldar novels (esp. Dawn of War: Tempest) where Eldar are slaughtered and mutilated on every page. If you like Eldar, keep away from those books.

The Laughing Man!
02-01-2008, 10:47
I've always been under the impression that Tau blood is Hemocyanin like horse shoe crabs.

Also I always thought Ork blood was black but oh well.

Warp Zero
02-01-2008, 10:50
Well, then,..
fluff offers different answers to that question, have a look at these 2007 threads:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105703
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87923
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98895

BTW, if your friend tolerates bad and ugly writing (and is older than 18), he might get a kick out of reading Goto's Eldar novels (esp. Dawn of War: Tempest) where Eldar are slaughtered and mutilated on every page. If you like Eldar, keep away from those books.

Thanks for the links to previous threads! Some reason, when I do a search, my computer goes to a broken link or I just get no results. Both my Tau friend and I read BL novels, but ....just seem to be unable to finish any Eldar novel by Goto.

Messiah
02-01-2008, 10:53
Ork blood has been retconned into red?! What is the world coming to?

Progena
02-01-2008, 12:33
Ork blood has been retconned into red?! What is the world coming to?

More like crimson actually, but I've also had it described as green or even purple (which would look nice by the way). Unfortunatly I don't own a copy of Xeneology which I believe is the most recent source on these things.

And Warp, could post the pictures in the Art and Stories section when you're done? We all have an appreciation for fine art. :p

bigbear bailey
02-01-2008, 17:39
In the Ciaphas Cain trilogy, he fights with Tau as an ally against the Bugs and when one gets shot he bleeds blueish purple... And Cain remarkes that that's most likly why there skin is so blue....

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-01-2008, 18:35
I've always thought of it as blue. However, it's open to interpretation what shade of blue it is and whether it is blue or purple.

However, I'd make a bluey-lilac, just because it would look snazzy.

MrBigMr
02-01-2008, 19:16
Red.

If Tau blood were blue it would blend in and not *pop* so much.

No, of course not, but why can't the Tau have blue skin without it having anything to do with the color of their blood? And far as I know, the Tau have not evolved on Earth and as such wouldn't have to have hemoglobin for blood.

Unless of course GW wants to rewrite biology with their *vast*:rolleyes: knowledge of the subject...;)
Well, that shows what you know. Hemocyanin is the second best blood know to man next to hemoglobin. It can't transport oxygen as well, but better than the rest. The color of hemocyanin ranges from purple the teal, depending on the oxydation, like how hemoglobin ranges from different shades or red.

The stuff can be found on horseshoe crabs for one.

TheOverlord
02-01-2008, 19:49
Well, in the Ciaphas Cain novel, it is said that Tau blood is really dark, almost blue, in color, something to do with the amount of cobalt in it's bloodstream, or something to that effect. So yes, they bleed blue.

Brother Siccarius
02-01-2008, 21:01
As has been stated before, the Tau blood is blue as they have cobalt in their blood rather than iron.

Of course, humans have blue blood as well, well blue-ish, but when exposed to oxygen it's red.

Commander Dante
03-01-2008, 01:07
in ciaphas cain it says its puple and smells awful.

chromedog
03-01-2008, 01:43
Skin colour doesn't effect blood colour, but blood colour does have an effect on the skin colour. Human skin is a yellowish (Caucasuian is anyway) translucent colour. Combined with oxygenated blood, it gives us the 'pinkskin' look, in effect, muting the red (like using a gel filter on a strong light source).

Tau blood is a bluish colour and the skin is said to be a greyish colour (one of the blue-greys, as opposed to the black/white greys) as a result.

If you value your sanity, don't read any CS Goto.

Read Mills and boon instead. Writing's just as crap, but at least they aren't butchering your favourite game background.

Brother Siccarius
03-01-2008, 02:01
Skin colour doesn't effect blood colour, but blood colour does have an effect on the skin colour. Human skin is a yellowish (Caucasuian is anyway) translucent colour. Combined with oxygenated blood, it gives us the 'pinkskin' look, in effect, muting the red (like using a gel filter on a strong light source).

Actually it goes for non Caucasians as well. From brown, black, tan, or white all of the colors of human skin have at least a little red tinge to them. The very nature of variation in human skin color being based on brown and black of melanin.

chromedog
03-01-2008, 04:56
Well, I've only seen dead caucasians up close. :D
(I really don't want to have to arrange any more family funerals, either).
[please, no expressions of sympathy are needed. It was a few years ago now.]

Cuttlefish have a copper based blood, iirc, and wierd eyes, though so they must be xenos.

Hellebore
03-01-2008, 05:18
Horseshoe crabs (and most molluscs) use haemocyanin (which is a dumb word conjunction but anyway) rather than haemoglobin.

It's only blue when it's oxygenated, and only a real deep blue when it comes in contact with the air - oxygenated haemocyanin within an organism is generally greyish yellow.

I assume this is what tau blood is based on (considering Xenology also made their heart analogous to a kidney or liver as well).

Hellebore

Brother-Captain De Angele
03-01-2008, 05:38
Tau blood should be gold/yellow like the guys in that daft punk video thing interstella 5555

Hive Mind 33
03-01-2008, 06:22
As has been stated before, the Tau blood is blue as they have cobalt in their blood rather than iron.

Of course, humans have blue blood as well, well blue-ish, but when exposed to oxygen it's red.

Tau is blue.

Human is never blue. when it does not carry oxygen it becomes a deeper red. Hemoglobin is a red pigment.

Taipan
03-01-2008, 09:18
Why is there 2 pages of discussion of this topic? Just read the Tau codex or Xenology.

Warp Zero
05-01-2008, 05:46
My thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up using a dark blue. I also apologize again for bringing it up when there was already some other threads about it. Sorry!

Here's the final finished pic:
http://warp-zero.deviantart.com/art/Eldar-versus-Tau-73766606

hope you like it! :D

MrBigMr
05-01-2008, 10:03
My thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up using a dark blue. I also apologize again for bringing it up when there was already some other threads about it. Sorry!
Ah, it's fine. No reason to loose your head over it.
I'll get me coat...

Bregalad
05-01-2008, 15:27
Damn, now the Fire Warrior is right from my homeworld Sa'cea. Suits me right for contributing sources :rolleyes:
Otherwise a nice pic!

intellectawe
06-01-2008, 05:06

Wow, people still believe this myth? Humans have red blood. No such thing as Blue blood.

You must believe that facial hair grows faster the more you shave it right? Or that Baby breath is made of Angel farts?

:) :) :)

Asi the Red
06-01-2008, 05:49
Tau have (IIRC) red blood. For those of you that have the original Codex: Tau (not C:TE) go the the background blurb about the bonding ritual, there's a bit in there about the color of their blood.

Warp Zero
06-01-2008, 10:56
Damn, now the Fire Warrior is right from my homeworld Sa'cea. Suits me right for contributing sources :rolleyes:
Otherwise a nice pic!

Thanks Bregalad! Sorry about using the Sa'cea colors. I just used them because, well....I really like that color scheme. I didn't know it was the Sept that you had. I swear! :eek:

MrBigMr
06-01-2008, 12:11
Tau have (IIRC) red blood. For those of you that have the original Codex: Tau (not C:TE) go the the background blurb about the bonding ritual, there's a bit in there about the color of their blood.
It's an old codex. It also suggests that Farsight is old as hell and stuff like that, all which have been dropped in the later codex. All sources after that mark Tau blood as blue, so I'm willing to go with that.

Bregalad
06-01-2008, 12:42
Thanks Bregalad! Sorry about using the Sa'cea colors. I just used them because, well....I really like that color scheme. I didn't know it was the Sept that you had. I swear! :eek:
You might have got a clue from my "Location" statement, but no hard feelings.
Anyway, my other army is Eldar (and Tyranids).

Asi the Red
06-01-2008, 21:40
So I prefer the old ways, whatever. Farsight's still ancient, the new Codex doesn't retcon his background of fighting orks and participating in the 2nd Sphere expansion, it just doesn't explicitly mention his extended age anymore. And with what we know about the advanced state of Tau technology I see no reason to believe they don't have the ability to extend the life span of their important personalities - something's keeping Aun'va alive and I prefer it to be Tau super-tech rather than some other race's meddling.

I'm sure if I was around during 2nd Ed I'd prefer the old backgrounds for everybody else too.

MrBigMr
06-01-2008, 21:47
Farsight's still ancient, the new Codex doesn't retcon his background of fighting orks and participating in the 2nd Sphere expansion, it just doesn't explicitly mention his extended age anymore.
If Farsight was an old prune, Shadowsun sould be too. But she ain't.

Johnnyfrej
07-01-2008, 00:09
In the Ciaphas Cain trilogy, he fights with Tau as an ally against the Bugs and when one gets shot he bleeds blueish purple... And Cain remarkes that that's most likly why there skin is so blue....
This is true. If you read the Inquisitor Vail citation at the bottom of the page she says it's because Tau blood has cobolt in it, rather than Human's (superior) blood that has iron.

The Gothic Me
07-01-2008, 09:27
For what it's worth as a reference, The game "fire warrior" had tau with red blood.

I'm noticing that written sources tend to have it as blue while visual have it as red.

Sithlord
07-01-2008, 09:52
red blood, it seems the blood color of all w40k races are generelized to red (with exception of necron which are 'green liquid' :) )

The Gothic Me
07-01-2008, 09:56
red blood, it seems the blood color of all w40k races are generelized to red (with exception of necron which are 'green liquid' :) )

Red blood is just easier to make look good on models I'd say, that was the reason they gave when they said Orks blood was read, I think.

Zoraan
07-01-2008, 10:39
I think it is something between cobalt blue and purple, but I really cannot tell. Who knows, it could be pink.

bosstroll
07-01-2008, 14:04
Tau blood is somewhere between purple and reddish purple (depending on oxygination). This is because theyre hemoglobin contains cobalt instead or iron.

MrBigMr
07-01-2008, 14:29
For what it's worth as a reference, The game "fire warrior" had tau with red blood.
I don't remember much seeing blood in the game. There were some disected Tau corpses, but just because the internal organs might have red in them, doesn't have much to do with the color of the blood. Myoglobin is what gives muscle tissue its red color.

But artists tend to make things look good rather than keep with the stuff written down.

Tau blood is somewhere between purple and reddish purple (depending on oxygination).
Why does this remind me of Red vs. Blue?
"It's not pink, it's lightish red."

This is because theyre hemoglobin contains cobalt instead or iron.
Hemoglobin = Iron based.
Hemocyanin = Copper based.

bosstroll
07-01-2008, 14:43
Why does this remind me of Red vs. Blue?
"It's not pink, it's lightish red."

I pretty much just stole that quote from Amberley Vail in the 1st Ciaphas Cain novel.
And bloodcolour does depend on the amount of oxygen its carrying. Bleeding from an arterie will result in lighter coloured blood then bleeding from a vein.

Hemoglobin = Iron based.
Hemocyanin = Copper based.

So sue me for not knowing the correct term for hemocobaldin :P

MrBigMr
07-01-2008, 15:04
So sue me for not knowing the correct term for hemocobaldin :P
Consider yourself served, my friend. Served with a plate of truth with a sideorder of wisdom, and to wash it all down with a nice hot cup of STFU.

Ok, but seriously with all jokes aside: live and learn, my friend, live and learn.

bosstroll
07-01-2008, 16:32
Consider yourself served, my friend. Served with a plate of truth with a sideorder of wisdom, and to wash it all down with a nice hot cup of STFU.

Ok, but seriously with all jokes aside: live and learn, my friend, live and learn.
<munches>
This wisdom is kinda chewie you know ;)

Zelnik
08-01-2008, 14:39
Well, the fluff suggests blue/teal/purple, which helps with the "alien" aspect of the tau. Hemocyanins are very efficient for environments in high O2, which i expect their homeworld to be.

something else to point out: Just because they use hemocyanins does not mean they are easy to tire. their bodies almost certainly have adapted to utilize it far in excess of anything we have ever seen.

Why did Cain think it had to do with skin? because he is an uneducated human who knows nothing about xenobiology. He probably doesn't know why our skin is varying shades of brown, or why we have five fingers to each hand.

Oh, and GW is trying to retconn it to red, because, well, they are more concerned with pretty models then a decent fluff.

Vesica
09-01-2008, 01:49
Who really cares aslong as it is spilt by the bucket loads? failing that just go with what looks best.

P.s remeber to spill lots of xeno blood.

Chaplain of Chaos
09-01-2008, 02:00
It's Cobalt, Cyan Blueish thats Canon.

MrBigMr
09-01-2008, 04:49
It's Cobalt, Cyan Blueish thats Canon.
Where is it said it's cobalt? I'm not contradicting it, I'm just interested. Hemocyan has copper not cobalt. Oxydated copper is teal/blue the same way oxydated iron is red.

Chaplain of Chaos
09-01-2008, 06:15
Just the word i used, not sure what the color is exactly cyan perhaps more accuratly describes it. Blood in the Tau Codex and in the book Fire Warrior.

Asi the Red
09-01-2008, 07:46
Oh, and GW is trying to retconn it to red, because, well, they are more concerned with pretty models then a decent fluff.

They're not trying to retcon it to red: it was red to start with (see my above) and they're updating it to be blue to be more alien.

MrBigMr
09-01-2008, 08:33
They're not trying to retcon it to red: it was red to start with (see my above) and they're updating it to be blue to be more alien.
What!? GW is changing their fluff? The heresy!

Asi the Red
10-01-2008, 06:55
Tell me about it - I mean, could they sink any lower? ;)
Of course it's not like their authors read the old background material before they start writing new stuff: so Author A writes it blue in his book, Author B writes it purple in his, Author C writes it red, etc.

I suppose the "best" answer would be to use the most recent publication (following their stance on the rules). So not red, but which of those other books is newest?

logosloki
10-01-2008, 08:21
So tau are the blue bloods then <snicker>.

sorry to add that, it was terrible. But I believe tau have blue blood because not everthing out there in the big ol galaxy is going to be exactly like earth. That means that other alien species may have a different biochemical make-up.

The other reason is cause blue would look awesome as blood on some of the sept colours? what sept were you doing OP?

MrBigMr
10-01-2008, 13:43
It's amazing how people (and by 'people', I mean fanboyz) can't decide what they want. Many scream that aliens need to be more alien, but when you get weird stuff like non-red blood and crystalline poop, it's just wrong. What do you want?!

To tell the truth, I don't see anything wrong with things like Eldar poop. Maybe the wording gave people the impression they excrete solid crystal rods. For one, the smell of ordinary stool is the result of bacteria. I wouldn't put past the Eldar to have a more advanced system that works without a 3rd party in the process (they were made, not evolved after all).

As to the actual form of it, many creatures even in our world have different ways of expending their excrement. Some dispose it in neat packages for example. Crystals aren't just those pretty colored things. It doesn't mean it's solid sharp pieces of glass. Even pearls are made of crystalline calcium carbonate. For a such advanced race, one would assume their digestive system to be able to process nutrients far more effectively than what we have.

Chaplain of Chaos
10-01-2008, 13:48
Definatly a purple/blue/cyan/cobalt/mixish

really depends on the current mood of the Tau you've just stabbed.

Mott
11-01-2008, 03:20
sorry if someone already mentioned this but-

In the Cain novels, (first one i think) the ordo xenos inquisitor explains.

Tau blood is blue, this is NOT because of skin color. Tau blood contains alot of cobalt, while human blood contains alot of iron

Iron=red
Cobalt=blue

When the biochemistery is examined cobalt content in blood probably dosent make sense. (i wouldnt know but it sounds wrong)

But neither do aliens and demons so who cares.