PDA

View Full Version : Do I become a knight of the information age?

Mucusaur
02-01-2008, 14:06
Obscure title perhaps, but i refer of course to those bohemian speed demons, bicycle couriers.

Last summer i graduated in geology, worked in the mines over the summer for experience, an then landed this job in November. I currently work in an office job entering data, I have my own office, flexible working hours, nice conditions and easy atmosphere. Its not what i graduated in, but at least its easy money till I go to Australia or Canada later in the year.

The problem is, I hate it. Sure, by the numbers it seems handy, but I feel I am learning nothing, and wasting my youth sitting on chair watching my ass grow. The lure of being an unfettered bicycle courier is stronger than ever.

I am an experienced cyclist, and quite capable. The conundrum is that i will give up this warm, indoors job, for a minimum wage, all weathers job, which I hold in high regard, but may end up hating the reality of.

I need advice?! Anyone have any experience as a courier, is it as bohemian and fun as i think? should i stay where I am and watch my soul decay? or should i stop dreaming and grow up?

heretics bane
02-01-2008, 14:08
You could try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes but its really up to you if you want to join.

RobC
02-01-2008, 14:19
Stick it out for a short while, especially if it's public-sector work and pays a decent wage. The current economic wobble is making more than a few freelancers nervous.

Once you've got some money to fall back on, go for it! But only after doing your research, of course :D