PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth an upgrade to the Elite?

the_reaper
02-01-2008, 21:19
I currentley own a normal 360 premium (with no HDMI). Then for Christmas i got a 32" HDTV (1080p) and then became set on being able to view my games in 1080p rather than 720p. My first consideration was to sell my current xbox and get an elite, bit i'm aware they may still have hardware problems. I also thought about buying a new 360 pro, but i really do want more memory.

So my question at the end of this is do Elites still carry hardware problems, and is it worth getting a better HD this way? (ie via HDMI)

thanks in advance -reaper

Outlaw289
03-01-2008, 03:20
Hardware problems have been fixed in both the new Elites and Pros. They use the new motherboards, have dvd tray bumpers (so moving the xbox with a game running won't tear it asunder), and have allegedly been absolved of the RRoD

I got a nice 19" HDTV and bought some monster HDMI cables, and I have a 360 pro. It's amazing, such a difference from my 1988 Mitsubishi crt

Just a note: Most 720p TVs can output 1080i, and there is very little difference between 1080i and 1080p

Inquisitor Engel
03-01-2008, 05:41
Why on Earth do you have a 32" 1080p set? Unless you're sitting LESS than 4 feet in front of it, you won't be able to see a discernible difference between 1080p and 720p, but I suppose it is KIND of nice...

I'm presuming it's the Sharp 32GP1U, as it's the only 32" 1080p LCD I'm aware of (although I've been surprised by some of those European brands we can't get here, but the panel itself will likely be Sharp anyway) If it IS the Sharp, it will accept 1080p over Component, unlike almost every other LCD (though it's becoming more common with the Samsung's and Sony XBR's, with the propagation of the 360 since it's the only device that outputs it...)

The only thing you gain from the Elite is the HDMI or 120GB hard drive and since the TV accepts 1080p over Component (with a firmware update) you're good to go.

Either way, the only thing you're getting

Stella Cadente
03-01-2008, 11:45
its black...........BLACK DAMNIT!!!! thats reason enough

Typheron
03-01-2008, 11:55
if your big on your home theatre and want the HDMI thing and/or need that bigger HD then yes.

Otherwise i would just buy the bigger HD - http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/Accessory/~r331715/Xbox-360-Hard-Drive-120GB/ - as absurdly pricy as it is.

RomanCommander
03-01-2008, 14:24
The difference between 1080p and 720p isnt that significant. If you end up getting an HDMI cable, buy a cheap one off of the internet, the cables in stores are ridiculously marked up.

Gaz
05-01-2008, 09:16
its black...........BLACK DAMNIT!!!! thats reason enough

That's the only reason I got it :D

(Well, and the hard drive...but ITS BLACK)

vcassano
05-01-2008, 10:42
I'd wait a few days because rumours are around that between the 7th and 10th of the month at some conference of some sort, Bill Gates may announce a new 360 model with built in wifi, HD-DVD drive etc. Only a rumour though.

Arnizipal
05-01-2008, 15:09
Wasn't the original 360 HD ready or something? Isn't that the same as HDMI?

Protolawyer
05-01-2008, 15:32
The difference between 1080p and 720p isnt that significant. If you end up getting an HDMI cable, buy a cheap one off of the internet, the cables in stores are ridiculously marked up.

Doesn't the Elite come with an HDMI cable, albeit a short one?

Firebreath
05-01-2008, 15:42
It seems it does.

The black is hella cool, but I have no use for it. Especially now, when the games I would wanna play on it are drying up.
I see no particular must-haves over the current and coming months. :(

Stella Cadente
05-01-2008, 17:10
I see no particular must-haves over the current and coming months. :(
:eek:
what about
Tom clancy end war
Rainbow six Vegas 2
Quake wars enemy territory
Burnout Paradise
Brothers in arms hells highway
Battlefield Bad company
and others

Firebreath
05-01-2008, 17:39
Well, let's just say I have a fairly limited taste. ;)

I might have a look at Rainbow Six, though. :)

Gaz
05-01-2008, 19:38
Doesn't the Elite come with an HDMI cable, albeit a short one?

Unless you like to leave your Xbox at the other side of the room to your TV, it does the trick just fine :D

vcassano
05-01-2008, 20:25
:eek:
what about
Tom clancy end war
Rainbow six Vegas 2
Quake wars enemy territory
Burnout Paradise
Brothers in arms hells highway
Battlefield Bad company
and others

Wow all FPS' and one racing game. The 360 really does deserve its reputation. As an aside, you missed out GTA IV, Lost Odyssey, Rock Band (Already out in US), Splinter Cell: Conviction and Army of Two.

Wasn't the original 360 HD ready or something? Isn't that the same as HDMI?

You are getting confused with all the similar terminology. That is assuming you were addressing me... Any model of 360 can play on HD screens but the Elite comes with a HDMI cable that improves the vision quality when using a HD TV. However this rumoured new model supposedly implements the HD-DVD accessory that is currently an extra. This enables the user to play HD-DVD's, the rival to Blue-Ray. Stupid idea though.

Arnizipal
05-01-2008, 20:47
You are getting confused with all the similar terminology.
Indeed. These similar words are confusing the hell out of me.
As they say in Dutch "I can't see the forest through the trees".

Any model of 360 can play on HD screens but the Elite comes with a HDMI cable that improves the vision quality when using a HD TV.
Even more? I was blown away by the sheer quality improvement on graphics when I first played some games on our new HD TV and you're telling me it can get even better? :eek:

vcassano
06-01-2008, 09:15
Supposedly, though I don't have a HD TV so I can't tell you confidently. I doubt the improvement is such that it warrants buying the HDMI cable but if you get it packaged with a 360 you are a fool not to use it.

Gaz
06-01-2008, 10:53
I've forgotten what 360 elite games look like through Scart now, my girlfriends parents have a HDTV and my parents just bought one, so I'm pretty much sorted wherever I am :D

Stella Cadente
06-01-2008, 12:47
Wow all FPS' and one racing game. The 360 really does deserve its reputation. As an aside, you missed out GTA IV, Lost Odyssey, Rock Band (Already out in US), Splinter Cell: Conviction and Army of Two.
I only wanted to mention good games:D

also what do you expect from Xbax, it was made with FPS games generally in mind, not rubbish things like platformers and sport games

and there not all FPS games, end war is not a FPS game, its a strategy, which the XBOX Has proved it can do well

Forbiddenknowledge
07-01-2008, 13:02
They got rid of RRoD did they?

When I got mine, straight outta the box, it had it. I had to return it and swap for a new one.

Plus the Black looks so much more cool, than the white.

vcassano
07-01-2008, 17:11
They got rid of RRoD did they?

Not exactly, though as I understand the newer models and the Elite are far less likely to fall foul of that vile disease.

Inquisitor Engel
07-01-2008, 22:39
Not exactly, though as I understand the newer models and the Elite are far less likely to fall foul of that vile disease.

65nm processors FTW! :D

Forbiddenknowledge
08-01-2008, 09:09

Did you not see the rest of my post? I was being sarcy, as my first outta the box elite had it.

vcassano
08-01-2008, 16:07
Yeah erm... I must have read them as two posts. Errr embarrassing.