PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an army

Spartagrot
22-09-2005, 15:15
I have decided to start a warhammer army, but not sure which to choose?

Cherubael
22-09-2005, 15:28
you'll probably have to give us more info than that. Do you have any preferences in playing style?
My advice would be to browse Warseer for a bit, and see if any armies described here take your fancy. That and to take a look at the mini's for each army on the GW website.

m1s1n
22-09-2005, 16:43
Play the army that is most interesting to you.
It doesn't really matter if other people think it is a great army because you are not playing this game for their enjoyment.

Biz
22-09-2005, 18:30
I quite liked playing Empire when I had them, nice versitility.

User Name
22-09-2005, 20:52
some info would be nice but since its totaly open ill give you an idea; Ogers, there fairly new bookwise have only a few models that need painting so you can get gaming relitively soon. There also a relitivly straight forward army but will introduce you to most of the psychology rules.

Ivan the Black
23-09-2005, 02:14
I agree that more information is needed, but here are a couple of ideas. Think about what aspect of the game you like:

Close Combat: Orcs, Chaos, Dwarfs

Fast/Mobile Army: Wood Elves, Beastmen, High Elves

Magic Heavy: High Elves, Tzeentch Chaos, Lizardmen

Balanced: Empire

Obviously these aren't all of the styles of play or all of the armies for each style, just a couple of ideas.

If you like the modeling portion of the hobby as much as the gaming, you could always go with Dogs of War. There aren't too many model lines that I haven't been able to convert into mercenary troops, so there's always something new to paint.

Hope that helps.

Galonthar
23-09-2005, 10:59
I`ve started playing WE cuz I liked the models....

just take the army which models you prefer....

otherwise if you`re going the for gaming aspect.... I guess Ivan the Black has summoned the catogories (maybe add the lizzies to movement & close combat too... never forget the skinks & saurus)

Crazy Harborc
23-09-2005, 17:24
Empire, or Woodies, for me, are the top choices. I and most of my regular opponents enjoy armies that can be strong without a magic phase. Brits, Elves, Orcs, even Lizzies can be nasty to beat and or fun to push that way too.

Spartagrot
23-09-2005, 18:21
Okay thanks for all the help, i have had a look at the models on the GW website & have decided to go for Tomb Kings, because i liked the Egypt style.

Crazy Harborc
23-09-2005, 19:02
When I am in a magic army mood......THAT'S the army I do!! Lots of bows, move and shoot, long range (or short)....five or six to hit period.

Nymous
29-09-2005, 22:06
I'm also in the process of trying to decide on what army to start. I'm thinking about Skaven, something about a chittering mass of fur swarming towards the enemy makes me all giddy inside.

Lord_Sanguinius
30-09-2005, 00:05
I think that would be a good army to play but maybe not for a beginner. They're pretty fun and i havent run into many people that play them, i've looked through the army book, and alot of things can go bad if you roll a 1, just an FYI. but like many other people have said.......whatever models look appealing to you. Because all army's have major drawbacks and very good strongpoints, so it all really boils down to what you think looks the neatest.

starlight
30-09-2005, 00:25
...and what you have the energy to finish. Hordes aren't usually a good choice as a *first* army, simply due to the number of models that you need to paint before you can play. Which makes liking your army even *more* critical.

Ivan the Black
30-09-2005, 02:57
That all depends on whether the locals are forgiving enough to let you play an unpainted army or not. Around here it's fine, as long as it's not in a tournament.