PDA

View Full Version : 2.25k Sylvanian army for GT play

adsVampire
22-09-2005, 15:38
CHARACTERS ---------------------
Von Carstein Lord (General) - lvl 3 wizard, Earthbind, Summon Wolves, Sword of Might, Wristbands of Black Gold, Black Periapt = 435

Riding a Zombie Dragon = 300

2 options for thralls:

A. Von Carstein Thrall Heavy Armor, Barded Nightmare, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Summon Wolves = 135

B. Von Carstein Thrall Heavy Armor, Shield, Great Weapon, Summon Wolves, Wolf Form = 135

Which do you think is better and why?

CORE ------------------------
8 Dire Wolves = 80
8 Dire Wolves = 80
8 Dire Wolves - Scouts = 88
5 Dire Wolves = 50
5 Dire Wolves = 50
5 Dire Wolves = 50
5 Dire Wolves = 50
4 Fell Bats = 80
4 Fell Bats = 80
4 Fell Bats = 80

SPECIAL -----------------------
Black Coach = 175
Black Coach = 175

RARE --------------------------
10 Drakenhoff Templars (Black Knights) - Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Full Command, Drakenhoff Banner = 340

Total = 870 (Characters) + 688(Core) + 350 (Special) + 340 (Rare) = 2248

Power Dice: 5 + 3 PL 4 Grave Markers
Dispel Dice: 4 + magic resistance on the Lord (MR 1) and Templars (MR 2)

So, what do you think? Any comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

branchwrath
22-09-2005, 20:46
That's a lot of wolves...I'm guessing your hoping for a lot of flank charges? Also, why units of 8? I like the use of summon wolves and the Drakenhoff banner, very nice...
Your Lord looks lethal...Most people discourage the use of Vamp Lords, but I've always felt they merited taking in big point games...

Good luck!

adsVampire
23-09-2005, 13:30
Hi BranchWraith, the units of 8 are for variety. I don't want to be the **** who takes an army full of min sized units. I'm only a half-**** with 3 units of 8 :) . Yeah. all of the wolves are intended to distract, redirect, and threaten flanks ... and they do that very well.

The lord is lethal to easy targets but will likely get killed by enemy super characters. Oh, and he costs 735 pts for the entire model :( . The model rocks though so that's why I use him.

backslide
25-09-2005, 23:28
Von Carstein Lord (General) - lvl 3 wizard, Earthbind, Summon Wolves, Sword of Might, Wristbands of Black Gold, Black Periapt = 435

didn't you use to use him with walking death?

shadowprince
26-09-2005, 01:31
The problem with it is its a one trick pony. An most other clavary armies will rip it to shreds. ITs an entire rmy of support units without anything to actually support. It will absolutly kill some armies don't get me wrong, but against others its all over Khorne miunted for example. If you wqnt to do well would porobaky and at least 1 ubit of 30 zombies to distract from everything else.

samw
26-09-2005, 01:56
Well can't he just summn zombies with the grave markers anyway? This'll give him the infantry block.

backslide
26-09-2005, 04:36
The problem with it is its a one trick pony. An most other clavary armies will rip it to shreds. ITs an entire rmy of support units without anything to actually support.

I agree kinda here, not sure it quite that bad, I know adsVampire has used a force like this with infatry and done well with it but I think hes after a change of pace..

adsVampire
26-09-2005, 17:16
@backslide - Yes, I used to use walking death. I switched over to the black periapt and sword of might for several reasons and all of them from playtesting the list. I found that quite often I had 1 power/dispel dice remaining in my phases ... hence the periapt. It has come in quite handy giving me a dispel boost and a power boost to 6 dice for 2 spells at 3 dice each. The sword of might was to give my general a magic weapon (no ethereals stopping him cold) which negates the ever increasing ward saves to non-magical weapons. AND, most importantly, he strikes in I order. Often I would sweat thinking lowly pee-ons would put lucky wounds on my general simply because I was striking last due to the GW.

The problem with it is its a one trick pony. An most other clavary armies will rip it to shreds. ITs an entire rmy of support units without anything to actually support. It will absolutly kill some armies don't get me wrong, but against others its all over Khorne miunted for example. If you wqnt to do well would porobaky and at least 1 ubit of 30 zombies to distract from everything else.

One trick pony? Its funny but it does look like one but after playing quite a few games with it I can honestly say that it is not. You have to remember that the army has a respectable magic phase (equivalent of 8-9 power dice), tons of movement, quite a bit of hitting power, and the ability to raise shooting and ranks.

It looks like an army of support units and it is on the most part except for the dragon and knights. However, I've found that once I'm in poisition I usually get 10+ charges off all at once (usually turn 3) into the flanks, rears, and fronts of several units. Having a black coach in front and wolves in flank of a ranked unit will probably mean that it will break. If not then likely the coach has gained enough wounds to hold the unit in place for a round or two while my second wave hits said unit again in its flanks or rear.

Khorne mounted armies I think would be a joke for this list to play against. I have wolves to summon behind and force overruns in the wrong direction and lots of maneuverable and low cost units to force charges and set up flanking counter charges. I think I would have to play pretty poorly to lose to an all mounted khorne army (sans dragon rider).

The biggest worries I have are bloodthirsters, other greater deamons, treemen, other dragon riders, multi-wound weapons, speculums, big waugh, stanks, and slayers (I have a lot of trouble killling enough to win since all of my killers have S5+) ... oh and 4+ bolt throwers with no terrain to hide behind is pretty bad as well ... and 2+ great cannons and a stank.