PDA

View Full Version : The Constant Gardener.A wood elf story! Please comment...

happy_doctor
03-01-2008, 07:37
Greetings!

After playing for years with many armies, I decided I need to add something new to my gaming experience. The Wood Elves have appealed to me ever since their part in the Dark Omen PC game (waaaaay back), but the recent abuse of their new capabilities (read: 2 Treemen and a BSB/ Dryad army of doom) had put me off until now.

Then, it came to me: I'll build a wood elf army based on the elves, mobile, with few models I can paint in a reasonable amount of time(not too few, though). So, after reading the book, doing a search in the forums and the such, I've come up with the basic list/plan.

Bear in mind that I'm trying to make the best out of my money (thus unit sizes are mostly dictated by the quantities in each blister) and I'd like to keep the army friendly but challenging for both me and the occasional opponent:

HEROES
-Noble on Great Eagle, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, LA, shield, spear
-Waywatcher Noble, Starfire Arrows, Resplendence of Luminescents, extra hand weapon
-Wardancer noble, Moonstone of Hidden Ways
-Spellsinger, Lvl1, 2xDispel Scrolls

CORE
-10 Glade Guard, champion
-5 Scouts
-5 Scouts
-5 Glade Riders, musician

SPECIAL
-7 Wardancers, musician
-7 Wardancers, musician, champion
-3 Warhawk Riders
-3 Warhawk Riders

RARE
-6 Waywatchers, champion
-6 Waywatchers

That's a total of 2250 points.

The army revolves around careful maneuvering, march-blocking, disruptive shooting and combined charges of fragile yet powerful units.

So, any thoughts?
Some questions I have for the veterans:
i) How would this army fare in general?
ii) Will it be boring for the opponent?
iii) What would you tweak in order to "tune" it?
iv)Will it be considered overpowering? (given the 2 units of wardancers and another 2 of waywatchers?)
v)I'm a little concerned about magic defense, as the elves are really squishy. However, I'd like to keep the character choices (I've devided the army into 4 "retinues", one for each character).

Thoughts, please?

happy_doctor
04-01-2008, 15:29
Hmmm....

This must either be a really boring and common army, or it's so utterly crap that noone even bothered commenting on it!

I truly would like to hear from fellow warseers before I make any buys, though...

Maybe I'll post the list over at the army lists sub-forum, see how it goes...

In any case, *bump*

Malorian
04-01-2008, 15:40
Well I'd take off a few of those champs to make sure you have one in each of you wardancer units. You also have a lot of points tied in heros.

i) How would this army fare in general?

Depends on what you are facing. But on average it should be fine if used right. You'll just have problems with shooty and magic armies.

ii) Will it be boring for the opponent?

It shouldn't as you have a lot of different elements in it.

iii) What would you tweak in order to "tune" it?

Comments are above.

iv)Will it be considered overpowering? (given the 2 units of wardancers and another 2 of waywatchers?)

There's no treeman so you're fine ; )

v)I'm a little concerned about magic defense, as the elves are really squishy. However, I'd like to keep the character choices (I've devided the army into 4 "retinues", one for each character).

You will have some trouble. The key will be taking out their casters as quickly as you can. You might want to change your hero on the eagle to be a mage hunter.

happy_doctor
05-01-2008, 01:13
Thank you for the replies!

Now on to the changes in the army list:

-There is a scout issue; 4 units of scouts is getting a bit unweildy, even with the waywatchers' special rules. I've merged the 2 units of scouts, giving them the banner of Zenith to boost their march-blocking capability.

- 620 points for heroes sounds a bit much, I'll agree. I've dropped the wardancer hero, but don't know how much this will hurt the effectiveness of the unit (mainly due to the lack of the Moonstone.)

-I've boosted the Wardancers to 8-strong each.Warhawks were made 4-strong.This means that hopefully they can attack fast cavalry and lightly armoured units with impunity.

-Waywatcher hero: The intention was to have him grant the waywatchers magical attacks, thus making them able to kill ethereal stuff in close combat. As my army has no forest spirits and no magic whatsoever, it will be really hard to kill them without this trick. However, I'd like opinions on another version: I've given him the Blight of Terrors spite. With the special deployment rules, I'm really hoping it will hurt low-Ld units.

So, new army list follows...
Better/Worse and WHY?
Please Debate!

HEROES
-Waywatcher Noble, Blight of Terrors, extra hand weapon
-Noble on Great Eagle, Spear, LA, Shield, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow
-Spellsinger, lvl1, 2xDispel Scroll

CORE
-9 Scouts, standard, Banner of Zenith

SPECIAL
-8 Wardancers, musician, champion
-7 Wardancers, musician, champion
-4 Warhawk riders
-4 Warhawk riders

RARE
-6 Waywatchers, champion
-6 Waywatchers, champion

Flypaper
05-01-2008, 12:42
The second list is clearly more optimised - in terms of overall effectiveness I don't suppose they'll play all that differently, though.

i) How would this army fare in general?Depends. How much terrain do you play with? Because you've got a lot of units that are susceptible to even S3 shooting, and expensive enough for it to hurt.

Tactically, you're committed to winning by ranged attrition against static armies, and have enough shooting to pull it off... Well, barely. You may be in trouble if the other guy can outshoot you and runs either well-armoured or numerous troops.

Against mobile armies, you'll have to lure out parts of the enemy army, then chop them off. The problem is that you're painfully dependent on those two units of Wardancers to score kills for you - if your opponent gets lucky or is good at his target prioritising, you could be left with nothing in the army to counter-attack with.

...I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here - I've been considering a similar army myself for a while (right down to the 3x5 Glade Riders - two boxes!), and simply haven't figured out how to make it work. :)

ii) Will it be boring for the opponent?Nah, you've got plenty of variety. There'll be some matchups where you'll be forced to play points denial, which is frowned on by some, but against a dynamic army a game of hide-and-seek can often be quite exhillarating!

iii) What would you tweak in order to "tune" it?Just this:

-10 Glade Guard, champion...Champs are a liability on a ranged ranked unit unless they're there specifically to protect a wizard from challenges. Nine times out of ten, I'd take a Musician instead.

Any other changes would be more 're-works' than 'tunes' - for instance, I think you'd be better served by Wild Riders than Warhawk Riders (and they're still visually Elves, if you want to keep the theme! ;) ) - but you should go with what you're happier playing and modelling with.

iv)Will it be considered overpowering? (given the 2 units of wardancers and another 2 of waywatchers?)Not by any stretch of the imagination. You're not taking two of the biggest perceived 'hard' units (Dryads and Treemen), your shooting is good but far from overwhelming, you're not going to treesurf, and you're running multiple units of Warhawk and Glade Riders - which are fine but usually get overlooked.

Waywatchers don't have the 'broken' stigma they did when the book was first released, either. People are more into squeezing in Treemen these days. ;)

v)I'm a little concerned about magic defense, as the elves are really squishy. However, I'd like to keep the character choices (I've devided the army into 4 "retinues", one for each character).I think you're right to be concerned - but you're every bit as vulnerable to enemy shooting, and you can't dispel that! So instead of paying too many points for magic defense, I'd suck it up and just concentrate on using your Waywatchers, Scouts and Warhawks to clear out wizards and shooters, and depend primarily on cover and LoS to keep the casualties down.