PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Armies

antin3
03-01-2008, 22:51
I am getting back into WFB and I am leaning toward HE as they were my first army many moons ago but as I haven't played in a long time I was wondering what armies are popular in your area or gaming group?

der_lex
04-01-2008, 00:26
In my gaming group, nobody plays the same thing. I play Empire and Hordes of Chaos (no Beasts), one player plays Lizardmen/Tomb Kings, and the rest all have one army, Dark Elves, Brettonia, Skaven and Dwarves.

This is a good time to pick up High Elves, though...they just got a new rule book out.

Ironbreaker
04-01-2008, 00:31
I've seen Dwarfs quite often in my local GW (although more recently I would attribute that to BfSP).
I collect them too but I originally did back in 2001 as well!

Just Tony
04-01-2008, 01:08
I thought I was gonna settle on two armies.

Where did I go wrong??!?!?!?!?!

I'd say get one that appeals to your sense of imagery, then if it doesn't really fit your playstyle, pick up one that does. You'll build your paint and imagery techniques on the looks army, and also if you are unfortunate enough that it doesn't fit your playstyle, then think of it as something to challenge you to "think outside the box"....

Semi_Bunny
04-01-2008, 01:38
Well in my gaming group its me (lizardmen), a dark elf/orcs and goblins player, high elves, chaos, and dwarves. I'd say dwarves and orcs n goblins have gotta be popular because of BFSP. High elves definitely seem like they're popular now with the new book. Pretty much everyone and their mother is posting their 12 different high elf lists up on this website. This could be a benefit as it will give you army ideas and you'll have plenty of advice if you're posting your list up here. On the other hand, I frankly am getting sick of seeing the same lists being posted up here, and you might have other HE players in your area (which could be good or bad actually).

If you do decide to stick with HE, you'll have to pick up the new codex and maybe a few models, but most of your old ones should suffice (I'm not sure how old they are but I'm assuming they arent from 3rd edition or anything). If you decide to pick a new army, you probably could pick up a few bucks on ebay from your old high elf stuff and use it to buy a new one.

Anyway hope that helped,

-Bunny

Edit: Also, if you decide you want to start VC, you might want to wait a month or two for the new models and book to come out so you dont end up wasting your money on the old stuff. From what I've heard chaos daemons and dark elves are also lined up for later in 2008.

Firebreather
04-01-2008, 03:06
Around here the most popular seem to be Orcs and Goblins, Empire, Dwarfs, and Wood Elves. High Elves might be up there as well, but not nearly as much as I would have thought with them having a snazzy new army book and all.

As has been said, it's a great time to be starting a HE army if that's what you want to do.

DoubleD
04-01-2008, 04:39
We have a Dwarf player, Wood elf(forest spirits), Empire(me), Orcs and Goblins, 2 Brets, and 3(!!!!!)High Elves. Suffice to say I am planning on starting an evil army soon :skull:

Elric101
04-01-2008, 04:53
Most popular : By far Bretonnia. There are a massive swarm of them at my club, but it's very dependent on area.

On the other hand I've never seen Ogres, Hordes of Chaos, Bestmen, skaven or vampires.

Otherwise it's a pretty even spread.

Oathwarden
04-01-2008, 05:44
Over here i've seen a slaanesh, undivided, 2 O&G, a dwarf, HE, VC, TK, and one Empire

Nabeshin1106
04-01-2008, 05:51
Dwarfs are most common in my area, followed by Orcs & Gobbos. We have a smattering of HE, DE, Lizardmen and Skaven as well.

Black Antelope
04-01-2008, 06:55
At mine, its Skaven (me), 2x BoC, 1x HoC(M), 1x WE, 1x VC, 2x HE, 2x O&G (one mixed, one all gobbo), 2x Dwarf, 1x Empire, 1x Orge, 2x Lizzys.

Leogun_91
04-01-2008, 08:47
Well in mine there is about everything except Chaos Dwarfs.

Dominatrix
04-01-2008, 10:47
I would say the most popular armies around these parts are Dwarves, Empire, Wood Elves and Bretonnians (with the dwarves and empire having an advantage over the other two). After the HE book came out quite a few people I know have also started HE (thanks to their new army wide rule) but it remains to be seen if this is something that will last for a couple of months or is something permanent.

GideonRavenor
04-01-2008, 11:15
It's Dwarfs and Orcs (but mainly Goblins) over here, or it least it was during the Nemesis War. It's a pity nobody could bother starting an army without the help of The Battle for Skull Pass.

Important
04-01-2008, 15:30
1x Dwarfes, 2x Chaos, 1x Beast, 2x O&G (one is me), 1x empire, 1x lizardmen, 1x VC, 1x skaven, 1x TK, 1x WE comming up. And I will soon switch to HE myself after seeing the list and like thier way of play style, lore and figures. :)

AdamAtCollege
04-01-2008, 18:40
In the last six months or so, I have not seen a single Tomb Kings or Vampire Counts army. And I've only seen Bretonnian once.

snyggejygge
04-01-2008, 20:39
Most popular around here is Bretonnians, WE & Lizards, probably because those are some of the best tournament armies.

Cragspyder
04-01-2008, 21:25
In my gaming group... one player plays Lizardmen/Tomb Kings...

What is it with these two? I play Lizardmen/Tomb Kings, I've met at least one other person that plays those two exclusively as well, and now I've heard of at least 2 more people that do the same :)

Maybe its the whole low-tech feel to it, or maybe because both of them have great models :)

Anyways, my gaming group has mostly Chaos, Empire, Orcs + Goblins, and Dwarves. One Chaos player is starting Wood Elves, we have one Wood Elves/Brettonian player, a couple of Ogre Kingdoms, and then myself ;) Also one other Lizardmen player, one Skaven player and one other TK player that come in fairly infrequently.

No VC, no High Elves, no Dark Elves.

sing Sang a song
04-01-2008, 21:26
well there are a lot of starting WE players so its really hard to get stuff i need..,

i am chaos
05-01-2008, 19:55
in my area the most popular army is probably high elves :) (i collect he and my prince killed Orion and more)

W0lf
05-01-2008, 20:07
my gaming group all tries to play diffrent armies and if we play the same make them as diffrent as possible.

Sam the Tzeentch Mortals and soon to be High elf player (Me)
Jacob the Slaanesh Mortals/Tzeentch Beasts and soon to be Gobblin player
Tom the dwarf (damn him, i wanted the stunties!)
Jake the wood elf and dark elf
Mike the Ogre player and soon to be lizardmen player
Pat the skaven player possibly starting empire..
Scott the TK player
Steven the Lizardmen player

so we have a fair spread of armies.
If starting armies others have we try and keep lists as diffrent as possible to avoid copying others :P

Abduction
05-01-2008, 21:36
We've got 1 High Elves (me), 1 lizards (me too), 1 skaven, 1 dwarfs and 1 ogres.

larabic
05-01-2008, 21:47
Me: Dwarfs, Khorn Demon
others: Undead, Khamri, Lizard, Mortal undivided, Mortal Slannesh, Empire x2, Beastmen, High Elves x2, Wood Elves, Skaven (getting out of it), Brettoninan

I think we have one person covering everything except Skaven and ogres... Not a bad spread over all.

AFoolProofPlan
05-01-2008, 23:01
Why don't you make a poll? Then everyone can just vote on it. It'll just be lot easier than reading all the posts. lol

Flypaper
06-01-2008, 00:24
What is it with these two? I play Lizardmen/Tomb Kings, I've met at least one other person that plays those two exclusively as well, and now I've heard of at least 2 more people that do the same

Maybe its the whole low-tech feel to it, or maybe because both of them have great modelsI'll take the latter - he says, straining to stop himself from running into town and starting that TK army that's been calling his name for over a year. It probably also helps that they complement each other well: the only things Lizards don't have are chariots and warmachines, after all.

As for popularity, I keep running into Beasts of Chaos armies around here. It's almost like they're following me around, waiting to flush my Skinks out of woods with their beastherds...!

the1stpip
07-01-2008, 09:15
It all does depend on the area. At my club, Empire and Skaven are pre-dominant.