PDA

View Full Version : The new ghouls...will they be worth it?

Da Black Gobbo
04-01-2008, 17:20
hi there! asuming the new ghouls will be same stats, but in a no skirmishers unit, is worth a unit that has no armour save and (if i don't remember bad) 2 attacks str and t 4 posioned weapons ws 3 and now is undead?? Isn't better a skellie that is cheaper and has better save? what do you think?

MalusCalibur
04-01-2008, 17:28
Personally, I don't think so. Considering that the new models are god awful and that the unit is now ranked again (HUGE mistake), I don't see much scope for their use.

MalusCalibur

Jack of Blades
04-01-2008, 17:36
^ Like all 3 sentences in your signature xD

They're not skirmishers, so they're not worth it as much as they were before. But I could still see myself using them.

Leogun_91
04-01-2008, 19:39
And ofcourse their new pts cost or another special rule added by the new book canīt make up for lack of skirmishing.

Jack of Blades
04-01-2008, 20:23
We haven't heard about that yet.

snyggejygge
04-01-2008, 20:44
Iīd wait until the book is released until I speculate about such things, they might be cheaper, or have some other specialrule which makes them worthwhile. I did like them skirmishing though, only reason I took them in my army...

logan054
04-01-2008, 21:24
Im sure they will be fine with the new rules, jesus, this isnt as game breaking as ASF!

Mazdug
04-01-2008, 21:35
Anything with poisoned attacks is worth it if you are likely to face slayers or giants, and if they are undead now, you can actually get them into contact with the giant without them hightailing it as soon as they are within 8 inches. Thats just my attempt at a glass half full thought.

Da Black Gobbo
04-01-2008, 21:54
i think they'll be worth it if:

WS 3 BS0 S4 T4 W1 I2 A2 LD6 AS-
7 points, poisoned attacks, undead, may appear as reserves for any table side (as they are some kind of wild undeads and the death's smell makes them hungry)

theunwantedbeing
04-01-2008, 21:59
2 st4 toughness 4 attacks with poison while causing fear and being immune to psychology?
So uber dryads for less eh?

Ghouls will be worth it if they stay similar to what they are but gain back the rule of being unbreakable if they outnumber the enemy.

Currently they arent that bad anyway.
2 st3 poisoned attacks each, cause fear....dirt cheap and they skirmish and make good screens for things near the general.

wizuriel
04-01-2008, 22:26
they sound like witch elves but better

Leogun_91
04-01-2008, 22:39
We haven't heard about that yet.

I know it was a way of saying that you cant say they are not worth it before you know what they get.

Dominatrix
04-01-2008, 22:59
I highly doubt they are worth it. They lose the unique role they had in 6th edition as alive skirmishers and now have to compete with zombies, skeletons and grave guard as these are all rank and file units now.

And given the fact that zombies are the dirt cheap tarpit, skeletons the middle ground and grave guard the elite inftantry of VC I just don't see where the new ghouls fit in exactly.

I guess wanting all the units available in an army to be useful is too much to ask. :rolleyes: But then again who knows maybe they have some funky special rules that will make them good at something, whatever that is.

The Anarchist
04-01-2008, 23:38
Don't mean to be a partyy pooper, but i would seriously advise everyone to wait and see what happens. no point speculating with no real information to go on at all. even if you go to the roumour round up there is little detail still on any unit skills, abbilities etc, so everything at the moment is guesswork.

sulla
04-01-2008, 23:39
They will be good with a character in the unit (assuming characters are allowed to join) when facing low armour opponents. Skellies will be better vs high armour, low s (like knights after the first turn). Zombies will be crap, no matte what. So I see them as situationally better than skellies. If they're cheaper, they may even be the core of choice and leave more points for big grave guard blocks.

smasha2
04-01-2008, 23:42
we all are ready for the dead to arise whether as an enemy or a force to use as their own the dead shall conquer

:skull::skull:THE GHOUL KING HAS SPOKEN:skull::skull:

CHOOBER SNIPES
05-01-2008, 00:21
i know i have nothing to go on, but maybe now that they are undead and ranked up you can raise them too. theyd be a great flanking unit cus they get 2 attacks each. That would be pretty cool. something like raise 1D6+1 zombies, 1D6 skeletons, or 1D6-1 ghouls. these would all increase in 1D6 with each level of the casting, (ie. 5+, 7+, 9+). no basis whatsoever on this, but i just though maybe because they are now undead.

Leogun_91
05-01-2008, 09:50
And given the fact that zombies are the dirt cheap tarpit, skeletons the middle ground and grave guard the elite inftantry of VC I just don't see where the new ghouls fit in exactly.

Moast armies do have more than one of either middle ground , dirt cheap or elite and moast find their place tacticly beacouse of differernt specialities and points cost.

logan054
05-01-2008, 10:28
Ghouls will be worth it if they stay similar to what they are but gain back the rule of being unbreakable if they outnumber the enemy.

Well i believe they are undead now, personally i think they are going to be very good now, ts oing to great to have at4, 2A poison unit that can be healed

Mazdug
07-01-2008, 16:07
, may appear as reserves for any table side (as they are some kind of wild undeads and the death's smell makes them hungry)

That alone might make them worth it, since that can throw the enemies battle line into total disarray, and can threaten those oh so pesky warmachines

Da Black Gobbo
07-01-2008, 18:28
Well is a wishful thinking but it may be as dwarf Mining boys do the same and they are far better tooled to kill with 2 handed weapons and heavy armour plus T4 and ld 9 plus the +3 str weapon that the lider of they unit may have plus the bombs...same rule on ghouls will not be that broken.