PDA

View Full Version : Catbarf loses his will to live- Chaos Renegade Militia

catbarf
04-01-2008, 22:40
I've decided to start a log for my Chaos Renegade Militia army. My order was placed on Jan. 3 and consists of the following:

10x Renegade Militia Conversion Set
4x Renegade Militia Weapon Arms
1x Renegade Militia Icons and Assault Weapons
1x Renegade Militia Enforcers
1x Renegade Ogryn Berserker Squad
1x Malcador (the HB one)
1x Renegade Apostate Preachers

And I just got a notification from Forge World saying that a 1kg package had been shipped, and already arrived in Philly and been scanned... and should be here in three days! Holy crap, that was fast! I don't expect it to be all of it (I imagine the Malcador will take longer with Apoc, and the Preachers aren't coming out until Jan. 28), but at least I'll have something to do with my 1/2lb of plastic bits I got off Ebay- all kinds of guns, ammo, equipment, legs and the like. And here's the thing- that order was 276 pounds (about $550 US), but by my calculation I can build a 2500pt army from it- not bad for a FW army!

After all, this is all you need for 20 Renegade Militiamen:
2 of the conversion set- $35
20 Cadian/Catachan legs- $15/$10
1 of the weapons pack- $17.50
10 Lasguns- $7.50 on Ebay

So, all in all, you get 20 Militiamen for $75/$70. Not bad, I say. Taking the second option, they're no more expensive than the Vostroyans, and offer ten different sets of heads and arms as well as the ability to take all four special weapons.

Now, the reason I started this thread early was because I have a question- theme. My army list will still be nearly the same, but I've got three ideas for theme:

1. Trenchers. Lots of militiamen, WW1-style heavy weapon carriages, general dirtiness. Color scheme very similar to the one FW uses on their Death Korps. Off-board artillery, bayonets, bunkers, gun emplacements, mud. Possibly even a trench board, but that would be waaaaaaay in the future.

2. Pirates. Lots of conversions- but not like 18th century pirates. I'm thinking more along the lines of what pirates would actually look like in 40k, perhaps with a slight chaos tinge. No idea on color scheme, but tanks would be graffiti'd up (borrowing from an old PC game, I could have the Malcador have 'Under New Ownership', followed by 'UNO' stenciled on the side). Overall, the look of a raiding force.

3. A little of both. A funny hat here, a souped-up engine there, little changes that give the impression that this regiment on Vraks has become a roving band of freebooters, privateers, and corsairs.

No matter which way it goes, I want the Chaos tinge to be subtle. No chaos stars all over the vehicles, and that dismembered chunk of somebody is probably going to be turned into a psyker.

All color schemes would be appreciated. I'm thinking maybe a mix of grey and the same blue used on the Death Korps, but I'd love all suggestions. Uniqueness is what I'm going for here, so no matter how weird your idea, tell me.

Thanks for your time, I'll post pictures of my WIP heavy bolter once I get the pictures taken!

dr.oetk3r
04-01-2008, 23:08
Pirates Arrrr.

Getz
04-01-2008, 23:32
Trenchers dammit...

Is is me or are there suddenly a lot of Renegade Project logs here on Warseer?

The Laughing God
04-01-2008, 23:50
I voted trenches,

Should be cool to see how it turns out, can't wait to see them painted.

catbarf
04-01-2008, 23:54

Mika, Elotsip, PFreck are the only ones I can conjure off the top of my head... Fewer than the number of Krieg logs, and far fewer than the number of Cadians. Not exactly way out of left field, but not common either.

Also, any thoughts on color scheme? Should I make them look standardized like Elotsip's (as an example), or random colorations like Mika's?

HorgothTheGreat
05-01-2008, 00:24
For a color scheme, I feel some Red and Browns would be in order.

old guard
05-01-2008, 00:32
vive la France! WWI trenchers which fits in with your thoughts of blue/grey (shadow grey). I would also make a change from the yellowy browns and reds (despite the fact thats the way I went)

catbarf
05-01-2008, 01:27
Interesting. Very nice grey/blue, although it's a little too bright for my tastes. I'll modify the FW scheme, maybe take their recipe and mix it with some Luftwaffe Uniform I've got lying around.

And regardless, I don't want to do reds. A dirty khaki is still a possibility, however.

Fideru
05-01-2008, 03:17
Pirates! Yarrr!

catbarf
05-01-2008, 04:19
I'll think it over, and make a decision in the morning.

Er, is there any way to close a poll?

Eater of Small Things
05-01-2008, 06:58

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Every time I check the sci-fi project logs, it's almost guaranteed that there will be a renegade log on the top page. You'd think with this much heresy going on, someone in the Imperium would sit up and take notice.

Oh, and I vote trenchers as well.

Khorghan
05-01-2008, 07:05
MIKA STYLE!!

whatever he did, haha

Jimbobjeff
05-01-2008, 09:03
I demand cyborg ninjas!, do it!

Easy E
05-01-2008, 10:36
I vote Ninja-Pirate-Cowboy-Cyborgs... in trenches!

Mr Feral
05-01-2008, 11:01
I suggest Pirates.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
05-01-2008, 12:25
Pirat Trenchers :D

catbarf
05-01-2008, 15:14
Okay, I've decided to go with Trenchers. However, I will be having a very slight pirate tinge... Just the general, overall feel of the army rather than readily apparent in conversions. I should be receiving my order soon.

So... is there any way to close this poll now?

Pfreck
05-01-2008, 16:38
Looks promising Catbarf, you're very lucky that your order will come in that quick. Mine took 2 weeks and I'm still waiting on my Arm sprue's! It's been 4 weeks now and counting.. I should call FW soon..

Anyways, I voted for the trenchers. They seem to fit the Renegade Militia the most.

I'll be watching this thread in interest. (as they're not very much CRM logs to get inspiration from, except for Mika ofcourse. He's the master of CRM. :D)

For closing the poll.. try to edit the first post of this topic. And see what the options are. If it doesn't works, PM a moderator. :)

Pathfinder177
05-01-2008, 20:30
lol keeping the peace i think lol abit of everything

catbarf
05-01-2008, 22:24
Well, I just checked, and the scheduled delivery is Monday. I'm very surprised that it was sent this early- I heard they were having issues meeting the 28 day deadline. I'm hoping for the best, but I won't be surprised if I get a whole bunch of Death Korps or somesuch.

bdo
05-01-2008, 23:24
too bad you wont do cyborg-ninjas, just as i happened to start to play one in a rpg :D

i take it we can see a wood-legged commander? im really curious what trenchers with pirate aspects will look like.. consider me subscribed.

catbarf
06-01-2008, 03:38
too bad you wont do cyborg-ninjas, just as i happened to start to play one in a rpg :D

It's a reference to an old PC game. Anyone who knows the reference gets a cookie :D

i take it we can see a wood-legged commander? im really curious what trenchers with pirate aspects will look like.. consider me subscribed.

Probably not wooden legs. When I say pirates, I mean like what pirates would look like in 40k, not based on real-world pirates. Well, okay, maybe some bicorn hats, but other than that it would be rather realistic.

Chatto
06-01-2008, 13:48
I'm going to throw my ten cents in and say go with Trenchers. Everyone always does something relatively similar with traitor guards, and if you get the feel right, you could make an effective force that would really look like a counter to the Death Korps models that these guys are supposed to represent.

Oh, as for the cyborg ninjas... I'm gonna go with System Shock 2, if only for the altered monkeys... :P

catbarf
06-01-2008, 14:39
Oh, as for the cyborg ninjas... I'm gonna go with System Shock 2, if only for the altered monkeys... :P

Cookie to you. I'm eagerly awaiting the mail tomorrow, I got my first Heavy bolter done but my camera is dead, so I can't take pictures... Oh well, I'll show you it with the crew.

catbarf
07-01-2008, 22:13
Well, look what I got (excuse the HORRIBLE picture):

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l296/catbarf/DSCN1363.jpg

Since it's hard to tell, right there is everything minus the Preachers (of course), and the arm sprues. Apparently, there's a lot of demand for those, which is why some other members of the boards haven't gotten theirs yet. I'm fairly surprised the Malcador came, I thought it would be a while with the Apoc demand and all that. Also, like I promised:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l296/catbarf/DSCN1366.jpg

Not a very good photo I know, but it was the only one I could get before my camera died.

First up, I'm going to magnetize the Malcador so I can still get all the lovely detail (like the engine, which is normally covered up), as well as giving me choices in regards to weapon sponsons.

Getz
07-01-2008, 22:35
Are those Lego wheels?

Cool....

catbarf
08-01-2008, 03:03
Yup, got them cheap on Ebay.

I managed to assemble the Malcador in 7 hours. The tracks didn't line up, almost every piece was warped, and because of how the damn thing was designed I was forced to glue the engine cover down and glue on lascannon sponsons. On the bright side, all the guns move. I'll take pictures tomorrow afternoon (aargh, school); despite being such a pain to assemble it is a very, VERY nice model.

dr.oetk3r
08-01-2008, 03:39
Nice heavy bolter you have there.