PDA

View Full Version : Toughest ("normal") enemies?

SwordsofChaos
05-01-2008, 20:07
The question is simple: What is the hardest, most irritating, stupidly nasty enemy you have ever encountered in a game? I won´t count bosses, it has to be an enemy encountered more than once in a game (this means things such as Berserkers in GoW count).

I will say the Chaos Marines in Fire Warrior, they are absolutely horrible. The resilience of a normal spacemarine, with a better weapon and teleports out of nowhere. Nasty buggers.

So, lets hear our worst!

The pestilent 1
05-01-2008, 20:46
Conflict Freespace 2.

Anything bigger than a fighter. And some of the Fighters too.

Most games, you think "I'm the hero! I can take that!"
Freespace 2 answers this bravado with a wave of weapon batteries, flak, and Beam cannons til your ship is juddering like an epileptic at a disco, everything is flatlining and you are praying to everything that will listen that you survive the attack.
Then a second comes.

You needed to be damn good to take anything bigger than a fighter, and to be semi-divine to take any of the really big ships.

Unless you knew their blind points of course, in which case you just needed to be good:evilgrin:

Kaze
05-01-2008, 21:16
Fire Dragons and Hexadragons in Final Fantasy VIII. Despite being able to deal with all bosses in the game with total easiness, those random monsters are a pain in the a**. Specially the Fire Dragons in the Underwater Research Facility on the way to Ultima Weapon.

I can also mention the Malboros in FF7, FF8 and FF9 (though I'm not sure if they are present in the latter two games). When you are in a high level area without status protection equipment... damn, hard but good memories :)

Notorius
05-01-2008, 21:30
I can also mention the Malboros in FF7, FF8 and FF9 (though I'm not sure if they are present in the latter two games). When you are in a high level area without status protection equipment... damn, hard but good memories :)

Let's see, in 7 you almost always incounter one on the way up the ice caverns to the Schizo twins, in 8 they're on the Island Closest to Heaven and pretty much always start with Bad Breath and in 9 you fight them in Memoria but they're not as nasty in 9.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-01-2008, 21:45
Thresher thingys in Mass Effect. They pop up, it takes 2 shots to destroy the MAKO or one claw hit. Not to mention if it pops up underneath you, you just wizz merrily half way across the planet you're trying to survey.

mistformsquirrel
05-01-2008, 21:55
You guys will laugh; but I swear this is the most freaking RIDICULOUS enemy imho...

The various "Rarabs" in Final Fantasy XI.

Oh you laugh now... but at least back when I played, they were NOT to be messed with! Those little bunnies are some of the few mobs where the very idea of leveling on them at high levels was just... well it wasn't done. They were too tough. They had relatively low defense and all, but they hit like a mack truck, had tons of AOE, and a nasty blind component on their AOE making your already abysmal accuracy plummet through the floor.

Absolutely HORRIBLE.

I'm sure I can think of some other nasties, but those... ugh. Tonberries were pretty un-nice too.

The Guy
05-01-2008, 21:55
Dwarves with flamethrowers in overlord. Nothing tears through a horde of minions faster than them :mad:
Brutes with gravhammers on halo 3. They also come with a very tough forcefield and on legendary it's one hit kill.

WLBjork
05-01-2008, 22:02
Combine Advisors.

I've not managed to get my hands on one yet, but I'm going to shove the shotgun where the sun doesn't shine when I eventually do catch me one.

Neknoh
05-01-2008, 22:12
The Sith in grey clothes and a strange, big hood in Jedi Academy, dual lightsabres allong with a healthy supply of force-powers... and they aren't bad at fighting! God damnit, everyone else with a lightsabre I can beat easely, but these guys... I have to toss them off into the abyss if I want them dead. If I can't do that, I'll likely burn loads and loads of life and force on them.
Oh, and Rancor ranks there with them (no pun intended)

Arnizipal
05-01-2008, 23:24
Dwarves with flamethrowers in overlord. Nothing tears through a horde of minions faster than them :mad:
Oh hell yes. And they're immune to fire so you can't take them down from afar.

Here's a good one: those annoying blowpipe fetishes in Diablo II and the acid spitters in the original Diablo.

Kaze
05-01-2008, 23:45
Oh hell yes. And they're immune to fire so you can't take them down from afar.

Here's a good one: those annoying blowpipe fetishes in Diablo II and the acid spitters in the original Diablo.

The Flayer forest. I have bad dreams about them in Hell mode :cries:

The Guy
05-01-2008, 23:55
Wallmasters in Zelda:Ocarina of time. My fragile, 7 year old mind scarred by the horrors :cries:
It still scares me now.

Stormtrooper Clark
05-01-2008, 23:58
Anything with a Lightsaber in Jedi Acadamy.

Bloodthirster90
06-01-2008, 00:26
Goombas
Seriously, how many times has one of those bastards taken you out?
Also, the demons in God Hand. Always pop up when you have the tiniest bit of health left and no health pickups anywhere

Cade
06-01-2008, 00:49
Scarabs in Diablo II.
Bloody lightning sparks!

Vodevil
06-01-2008, 01:07
Shadows in Devil May Cry, awesome fights but they are tougher then most of the bosses!

mistformsquirrel
06-01-2008, 01:17
Scarabs in Diablo II.
Bloody lightning sparks!

Oh good grief yes... those things are SO irritating. Especially playing my assassin. (I went all melee stuff; so I was standing right next to them hasted all to hell... yeah, the results were not pretty for me)

pwrgmrguard
06-01-2008, 02:26
Brutes on legendary with 6 skulls turned on make them stupidly hard.
Mythic, Catch, Thunderstorm, Famine, Tough Luck, Tilt

Nephilim of Sin
06-01-2008, 03:20
For some reason, the Tuskan Raiders in KOTOR I always beat the crap out of me.... and that was with an all jedi party.

NWN 2: Orcs. Aren't these supposed to be 1 hit die creatures? Yet even with a kitted out melee character, I always managed to die many times.

mistformsquirrel
06-01-2008, 03:46
Orcs is actually TOTALLY understandable. The thing that's ****** scary about them isn't their HD, I think they start with 4hp on average (dunno about NWN2; but in 3.0/3.5e D&D)... however they also start with 14 Str and are usually given either Great Axes or Falchions. So +2 or +3 to hit depending on class with a weapon that does either 1d12+3 or 2d4+3... at level 1.

I mean seriously, their MINIMIUM damage is enough to put a lot of spellcasters down <X_X> and a lowbie fighter still isn't likely to take more than one or two hits. Orcs are evil bastards.

(If you can't tell, I've lost more than a few D&D characters to orcs! They didn't even have the decency to shout WAAAGH!!! either! Shameful.)

Nephilim of Sin
06-01-2008, 03:59
....(If you can't tell, I've lost more than a few D&D characters to orcs! They didn't even have the decency to shout WAAAGH!!! either! Shameful.)

Methinks you have a 'killer dm' :evilgrin:. I understand that they can dish out some damage, but I was mainly refering to how many hitpoints they had. I could deal a lot of damage, and the only thing that made them so deadly was the fact it took them forever to die (which means they get more attacks in). My character follows the normal rules for hp increase, so between levels 8-12, orcs should be a cakewalk for me. With a full party, there should not be an issue. Instead, they are tooled up as at least level 5 fighters. That is not right.....

Outlaw289
06-01-2008, 04:43
Arch-Viles from Doom II. They're the skinny humanoid flame-shooting monster-resurrecting things

plasticfrog
06-01-2008, 05:14
Diablo 2:
- Undead exploding Fetishes
- Scarabs in Lut Gholein
- Wraiths with damn lightning and immune to physical!!!

They were all *infuriating*!!!

Half-Life 1/ OpFor
- those ninja women

STALKER
- aggravated bloodsuckers... the number of times I was backpedalling and spraying the walls with my AK to nail the horrendous evil monsters!!!
- Monolith troopers and Spetznas commandoes were also tough little buggers!

TIE Fighter/ Defender of the Empire
- Rogue TIE Advanced fighters... rarrgh!!! Annoyance extreme. Highly maneouverable, shielded and armed with advanced concussion missiles...

Hmmm.... must be more, let me think on it.

Jaq Draco
06-01-2008, 07:36
Diablo 2 Fetishes - How many can they fit onto one screen at one time!!1 plus the sound they make coming out of the forest i can still hear them in my dreams.

WoW Spiders - Run away they web shoot you, and poison you and oh yes they have friends grrrr

Episode 1 Racer Sebulba - just plain aggravating and alwayscoming in first what is with that.

devolutionary
06-01-2008, 07:42
Some have been mentioned (especially the Diablo stuff and Jaqs WoW stuff).

The bloody headcrabs in HL2. The black ones that leap at your face and make you cry. They're tough suckers, and they move so slow that you run past one thinking it's dead because it's hardly moving.

WLBjork
06-01-2008, 08:21
Methinks you have a 'killer dm' :evilgrin:. I understand that they can dish out some damage, but I was mainly refering to how many hitpoints they had. I could deal a lot of damage, and the only thing that made them so deadly was the fact it took them forever to die (which means they get more attacks in). My character follows the normal rules for hp increase, so between levels 8-12, orcs should be a cakewalk for me. With a full party, there should not be an issue. Instead, they are tooled up as at least level 5 fighters. That is not right.....

Perfectly legal in D&D rules. Indeed, it's a good way to rack the Challenge Rating up so that they pose a threat rather than just being a minor annoyance. Same goes for gobbos, ogres etc. - I've been playing a P&P game where we've had to fight several waves of L10+ Barbarian Ogres, which was... interesting.

Jaq Draco
06-01-2008, 08:26
Some have been mentioned (especially the Diablo stuff and Jaqs WoW stuff).

Sorry about that just giving my $0.02 on this subject :)

Count Zero
06-01-2008, 09:16
in the 1st AVP game, when u play as a marine both the aliens themsleves and the face-huggers. i hated the face-huggers the most, you could hear them but just not see them and you know that it will kill you. also the aliens popping out all over the place too. grr.

was better if u had the motion sensor gun.

New Cult King
06-01-2008, 09:42
I'm finding the KPA troops in Crysis to be an utter pain in the perenium.

These suckers can soak upwards of 20 bullets to the body, and often 3-4 bullets to the head before they go down. I've shot them in the head from close range with a machine gun, and the only thing that happens is their cloth hat flies off. Right.

Couple that with the fact that even while you're stealthed and they have no idea even the general direction you are firing from, they will STILL dodge precisely at the moment you pull the trigger, causing you to miss, and making the best way to take them down a random spray of bullets that they will then soak up with their standard issue flak-vests.

They also seem to tandomly spawn out of nowhere sometimes - when you've cleared an area, and run through all the buildings looking for ammo etc and there is NOBODY around, anywhere, as soon as you go and jump in a 4WD a half dozen troops will materialse and start shooting you.

Good gods it's almost enough to make me want to uninstall the game.

Soulless Enigma
06-01-2008, 10:30
The Shadovars in NWN: Shadows of Undrentide. Endless spawns. Annyoing teleport system to escape. Damn that was annoying. Oh, and they're all casters too, and I was playing a barbarian with no henchman (foolish, I know). Casting at mewhen I can't reach them. I have no idea how I survived all those horrid wiltings.

Remoah
06-01-2008, 10:35
COD-4... on veteran, any more than a couple of enemies will be a real threat, what with the one-shot kill thing for most weapons.

nurgle_boy
06-01-2008, 12:46
Right, my tuppence then, starting from the early days of gaming for me :D
The blocks from Tetris. I need say no more.
I will also second the remark about goombas. You will be running along fine, jumping the koopas, then one pops out from nowhere and makes you dead.
FF6- In kefkas tower, there are the mechanical flying things that use 'Blaster' as soon as you enter battle. It instakills everyone. Spending 120 hours getting a part to lvl60 means nothing!
FF7-Anything in the ninja-place (forget the name) after Yuffie steals your materia, and of course, you have to deal with everything there to get it back, or else your screwed!
FF8-Ruby Dragons. Nothing else bothers me (maxed out party, after about 140 hours of play), Ultima weapon didnt even leave a scratch, and ultimecia is a 5 minute job, just to watch the (fabulous) end sequence. But no, Ruby dragons are too bloody fast, and use their breath, which is not only non-elemental, also causes 9999 damage to all... there is no way to beat them other than having squall ready to pop up with a limit break...
FF9- SHEEP! those bloody sheep, on that one island. They do nothing but cast uber-powered meteor at you, and then refuse to die. You also need to go there is you want to make beating Ozma easy...
FF10- Malboros. They have a tendancy to strike first, and mess up everything. I only fear the Dark Aeons more than them... Thankfully, Tidus now has ribbon, so pfeh.. no bother any more...
FF12-Abysteels. They come in flocks of many, and tear you apart whilst regaining health. The hell wyrm was more pleasant to fight! I'm level 68 and still cannot beat them with ease...

Diablo 2- Anything with sparks, especially sparks, lightning enchant, the faster thing, and immune to physical... oh, and multiple shot... I hate Hell mode...

ack... the time i have spent trying to find easy ways to beat any of these...

holymarine
06-01-2008, 13:04
One of mine was the flood forms in all 3 halo games on Legendary

The Guy
06-01-2008, 13:19
COD-4... on veteran, any more than a couple of enemies will be a real threat, what with the one-shot kill thing for most weapons.

Also getting bombarded with grenades is a pain...

wally
06-01-2008, 13:20
the other paddle in pong

i win

Cade
06-01-2008, 13:24
A ship of the line in Cossacks.

Unless you have one of your own, it'll sink over half of your very expensive and time-intensively built fleet before it goes down.

Corrupt
06-01-2008, 14:00

Oh jeez some of those missions as the USMC in desert towns.
Its like black hawk down or something
If you duck into cover for more than 2 seconds some enemies will appear behind you and 1 shot you
Lose 5 minutes gameplay to last checkpoint...
Paaaain

Also that church in CoD 2 on Veteran on the mission at night with the Tiger

Notorius
06-01-2008, 14:02
FF8-Ruby Dragons. Nothing else bothers me (maxed out party, after about 140 hours of play), Ultima weapon didnt even leave a scratch, and ultimecia is a 5 minute job, just to watch the (fabulous) end sequence. But no, Ruby dragons are too bloody fast, and use their breath, which is not only non-elemental, also causes 9999 damage to all... there is no way to beat them other than having squall ready to pop up with a limit break...

I thought their breath attack was fire element so junctioning Fira/Firagra to Elm Defence would nullify/absorb the attack.

The Guy
06-01-2008, 14:12
Trolls on overlord.
Swarm it with my browns hoping they kill it before it jumps....too late.
Splat.
I just lose 20 out of 30 browns to a single attack.
:(

Arnizipal
06-01-2008, 14:25
Trolls on overlord.
Swarm it with my browns hoping they kill it before it jumps....too late.
Splat.
I just lose 20 out of 30 browns to a single attack.
:(
Weaken it with fireballs from a safe distance then swar it with borwns and greens. Alternatively you could just go in there and assisist your minions yourself. The Overlord does some decent damage with the right equipment.

Death Korp
06-01-2008, 14:25
I have 1 or 2 pet hates...

Them black headcrabs off Half Life 2, these are the most annoying things
ever, especially in 'We don't go to Raveholm'.

The Gravity Hammer Brute in Halo 3, now he is annoying, even on normal!

RPGs in COD 4 are annoying good. They ALWAYS hit on target with me!

And last (and the nastest buggers of them all\0, Destroyer Droids on Star Wars Battlefront 1. they were so damn hard to kill, even with throwing masses of EMP grenades at them!

DK

nurgle_boy
06-01-2008, 14:48
I thought their breath attack was fire element so junctioning Fira/Firagra to Elm Defence would nullify/absorb the attack.

My 99 ultima on ElmDef says otherwise, at least for the uk version...

I will also second the cossacks ship of the line, and the victoria, as well as facing large numbers of 18thC frigates... Ack... they just cannot be beaten...

SwordsofChaos
06-01-2008, 15:12
Im gonna have to throw in the destoyer droid in BF1 as well, but I usually played as one, luckily enough. And dogs in CoD 4. They scare me so much... Everytime I hear that godamn barking I just freeze and start to run in little circles, hoping to see them before they jump me.

Also, yay for succesful thread!

Corrupt
06-01-2008, 15:15
Im gonna have to throw in the destoyer droid in BF1 as well, but I usually played as one, luckily enough. And dogs in CoD 4. They scare me so much... Everytime I hear that godamn barking I just freeze and start to run in little circles, hoping to see them before they jump me.

Also, yay for succesful thread!

Haha
Hated those dogs so much
Esp on the sniper level.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-01-2008, 15:19
*stuff about KPA*

Man, you're gonna have some fun later on then :D

edit: Try "One Shot One kill" on COD4 on Veteran difficulty, its the main reason i shifted over to Mass Effect :D

Remoah
06-01-2008, 15:36
Hardest COD-4 mission on Veteran is probably Hunted.
So many dogs, and if you deal with the dogs by shooting, someone drops you, or vice-versa. Or anything with the USMC in Arabtown, enemies will shoot through walls to get you, and random shots just fly EVERYWHERE.

Notorius
06-01-2008, 15:48
My 99 ultima on ElmDef says otherwise, at least for the uk version...

You are indeed correct, it counts as non-elemental.

Kaze
06-01-2008, 15:58

I named them Fire Dragons, but that's the real name. The only thing that really saves me from them (apart from extreme luck in order for them to not open the fight with the breath attack) is Odin. It has a stupidly high rate of appearance agaisnt the Ruby Dragons, so for me it is essential to reach Ultima Weapon in the research facility.

Grazzy
06-01-2008, 16:05
The Gravity Hammer Brute in Halo 3, now he is annoying, even on normal!

That guy is a jerk. On legendary i just try to run past him again and again until by blind luck i make it past - it is far more likely to happen than me actually kill him.

nurgle_boy
06-01-2008, 16:14
I named them Fire Dragons, but that's the real name. The only thing that really saves me from them (apart from extreme luck in order for them to not open the fight with the breath attack) is Odin. It has a stupidly high rate of appearance agaisnt the Ruby Dragons, so for me it is essential to reach Ultima Weapon in the research facility.

Ahhh... that doesnt help, as I have gilgamesh, and he simply refuses to turn up... Ever...

well, except when he turns up against ultimecia, or another boss, only to hit them with either the 'ExcaliFAIL' (the one that does 1 damage), or to use Zantesuken, only for it to miss...

BLAH! hate it!

god octo
06-01-2008, 16:34
Those random dragon things in FFX-2, in Vio Infintio. I can kill basically everything else with one hit, but those things kill me before I can do anything.

Another, slightly off topic one. In the awful LoTR: The Third Age, there is this one Nazgul boss, he's not even the final Nazgul boss, but he is the hardest boss in the entire game- even harder then the laughably puny Sauron.

theunwantedbeing
06-01-2008, 16:39
Lifts and such in red faction.
They caused me more deaths than anything else.

TheBigBadWolf
06-01-2008, 17:17
the damn genestealers in space hulk, you get into that crappy slow fmv style CC scene and you would have an easier time fighting off a tiger in the buff

The Guy
06-01-2008, 17:30
Weaken it with fireballs from a safe distance then swar it with borwns and greens. Alternatively you could just go in there and assisist your minions yourself. The Overlord does some decent damage with the right equipment.

Yea but that's no fun. I prefer to just swarm stuff and hope for the best. Actually that's how I beat the wizard :wtf:
Those rock golems in the dungeon. 5 of them. Now THAT'S hard. Unless you take greens.
I also gotta say destroyer droids from BF1. But in BF2 they are rediculously underpowered.
Predator hydras and blazers in AVP extinction. They were horrible. Even with cheats:eek:

Nephilim of Sin
06-01-2008, 17:55
On the Overlord front, the dungeon battles with the Big Slugs.

Alright, we have to fight what, five small slugs. Okay, easy.

Then, we have to fight ten big slugs?! You must have greens to do this, with some reds of course, not to mention customizing your armor and weapons. I had to almost have the game beaten just to take them on.

Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter: The Saboath fighters.... they were just wrong.

theunwantedbeing
06-01-2008, 18:02
Saboath fighters?

The Guy
06-01-2008, 18:03
Wraiths on halo 3 on legendary. Nasty

Nephilim of Sin
06-01-2008, 18:09
Saboath fighters?

I only remember them on the last level, but they were on more than that (just can't remember which one!). They were incredibly fast and could outshoot you easily. I think some were called 'Mauraders' as well. On the last level, by the time you take five done, another twenty appear. Even Jedi powers didn't help.

The Guy
06-01-2008, 18:12
SBDs on republic commando.
And those geonosians with the laser beam things. They did my head in.

nurgle_boy
06-01-2008, 18:13
Those random dragon things in FFX-2, in Vio Infintio. I can kill basically everything else with one hit, but those things kill me before I can do anything.

To beat it you just need a character at a high level with a completed berserker outfit. they heal fast enough, and tear through everything... After via Infinito the game is easy. The elemental boss is the hardest bit of infinito, but you have a samurai pelt it with 199999 gill, and it dies :D
then you have catnip to get you through the game ;)

The pestilent 1
06-01-2008, 21:39
SBDs on republic commando.
And those geonosians with the laser beam things. They did my head in.

Oh lord I hated those Mother *Swears profusely for a while*

And the one gun that was any decent never got any pissing ammo.
Bloody game.

polymphus
07-01-2008, 06:19
Black headcrabs? Pfah! I get a nervous twitch however, every single bloody time the word "ant", "lion" or any combination of the two comes up in conversation. Yes, they die. No, they don't. stop. coming. I've literally had a screen filled with antlions ("sandtraps" and "lowlife" in particular) and they just. won't. die.

AAAAARRG.

Poly
Out

AGC
07-01-2008, 09:35
@Nephilim of Sin

Personally I thought the Orcs in Never Winter Nights 2 rather easy (but then I usually played as a Paladin or cleric) they just threw a lot at you. Far harder were the Grey Slaads in the original NWN that kept casting "implosion".

The pestilent 1
07-01-2008, 14:39
@Nephilim of Sin

Personally I thought the Orcs in Never Winter Nights 2 rather easy (but then I usually played as a Paladin or cleric) they just threw a lot at you. Far harder were the Grey Slaads in the original NWN that kept casting "implosion".

There were Orcs in NWN2?
Oh... clearing out the Dwarf place and the rituals right?

My Cleric had some fun with them (Chain lightning is really funny against low HP high number enemies)

I personally hated the occasional Succubus that show up in NWN2.
Mainly due to my refusal to make a cold iron weapon for all of about three encounters in the entire game, and then having a helluva time getting through their DR.

BarbedHawk
07-01-2008, 14:51
Wraiths on halo 3 on legendary. Nasty

People learn to never, ever mention that name within earshot of me.

All I ever remember is red mist and flying limbs.

The Guy
07-01-2008, 15:46
People learn to never, ever mention that name within earshot of me.

All I ever remember is red mist and flying limbs.

Lol yeah. Horrible things. I must have died more times against one of those on legendary then the rest of halo 3 together.

Warden
07-01-2008, 16:51
The Ball Ravager in SWG, you Spend freaking ages to get to kessel wait for bloody ages for it to show up (unless some tit didn't kill all the fighters) Then get creamed when ever you get into weapons range of it. Then you realsise its **** easy as all you have to do is sit right behind it and target each bit with Torps(they go through it!) and Voila your a spiffy Ace with a Cool (or naff) Helmet depending if your Imp, rebel or Neutral!

Oh and BMPs in Arma , fraking bastards.

Violadudester
08-01-2008, 06:54
Scarabs in Diablo II.
Bloody lightning sparks!

Agreed.

Probably those Gargoyles in Naxxramas, in the Plague wing. You have to get them down in a certain amount of time, or they regenerate back to full health AND they have a stacking poison debuff, which basically wipes the raid if you don't get it down the first time. Bad bad memories in that place :cries:

Kaoslord
08-01-2008, 08:46
Bloodsuckers in Stalker are just hideous. I'd never heard of the damn things when I wandered into quest where you have to Ice a swarm of them in an abandoned town, and all of a sudden, this THING with tentacles appears three feet from me. I literally screamed. And ran like hell. And more just kept showing up...

Jedi152
08-01-2008, 09:09
Ruby and Emerald Weapons in FF7. Without a good knowledge of how to use the materia system to your advantage, it's totally impossible. Not just hard. Impossible.

And the germans in any Medal of Honor game. Seriously, they can take several rifle shots to the body and still fight at full effectiveness. I guess they had to balance it out because flag-waving EA made the all American hero able to take several hundred bullets before dying.

Also chrysalids in UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com). Anyone who's played will know what i mean. The second on appears every soldier has to forget what they're doing and focus all firepower on it. :mad:

Asi the Red
12-01-2008, 06:50
So just throwing these out there:
#1. Tentaculants in X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Anything that flies, can soak a Sonic Cannon/Thermal Cannon/Disruptor Pulse blast and survive, and that can instantly turn your most hardcore teammember into a zombie that when it dies turns into another tentaculant is simply terrifying.
#2. Just to be old, Blue Knights in The Legend of Zelda (yes, the original). The rooms that are just full of them are almost deathtraps if you don't have enough bombs.

Ravening Wh0re
12-01-2008, 12:36
Anything in Ninja Gaiden Black. Bog standard ninjas will kick your **** if you're not careful.

And I hate zombies. Especially in Oblivion and Thief

The Guy
12-01-2008, 21:03
Anything in Ninja Gaiden Black. Bog standard ninjas will kick your **** if you're not careful.

And I hate zombies. Especially in Oblivion and Thief

Damn those zombies scare the crap out of me.
Necromancers and wraiths on oblivion. Nothing screams "owned" more than a few magical blasts aimed at my high elf.

DarkSoldier
12-01-2008, 23:09
FF9- SHEEP! those bloody sheep, on that one island. They do nothing but cast uber-powered meteor at you, and then refuse to die. You also need to go there is you want to make beating Ozma easy...Lucky me, I met the Friendly Yan in my first encounter, so I had no reason to stay on that island.

Redstormrisen
13-01-2008, 01:19
Halo 3 grunts with the catch skull.

I have had 6 or more suecide grunts charge me.

Now I nomally play with most of the skulls on. So I always have almost no ammo, no shield and there are 12 plasma grenades trotting towards me. That one encounter took me eons to get through...

Notorius
13-01-2008, 11:27
Ruby and Emerald Weapons in FF7. Without a good knowledge of how to use the materia system to your advantage, it's totally impossible. Not just hard. Impossible.

As much as I agree, you can't really include them in this thread because they're optional bosses not normal enemies.

Nephilim of Sin
13-01-2008, 11:57
There were Orcs in NWN2?
Oh... clearing out the Dwarf place and the rituals right?

My Cleric had some fun with them (Chain lightning is really funny against low HP high number enemies)

I personally hated the occasional Succubus that show up in NWN2.
Mainly due to my refusal to make a cold iron weapon for all of about three encounters in the entire game, and then having a helluva time getting through their DR.

I never had a problem with the succubi. I guess my personal annoyance was that by level 12, supposedly low-hp creatures should succumb to fireball, fireblast (is that the spell?) and such. However, they were never low in hp.

The one enemy that I also had trouble with was the zombies in Timesplitters. You get a headshot... but that doesn't matter. You can "behead" them and still have to waste a clip on them.

That, and anytime you fought a rival Keeper in DK2. Their minions were always harder than yours....

five01st
14-01-2008, 14:16
Hunters in HL2:EP2 are a bitch. Ill take a strider any day compared to them. I hate their exploding darts, and when they pop out into a doorway when you are in a narrow corridor, it sucks when they smash into you and you take damage while flying though the air. The fact that when you shoot them, weird grey slimy liquid drops, and they seem to sort of do a mechanical squeal for speaking, it can be d***ed creepy.

scratchbuilt
14-01-2008, 18:41
Anything that attacked from behind in R-type.

The satan things in doom that screamed when you see them, scary.

The laser sight guys in drakes fortune are a hassle

Soulless Enigma
14-01-2008, 20:03
Argus(es?) in Age of Mythology: The Titans. They have an instant death attack they can use every 45 seconds or so - which in an RTS is quite stupid. That and they have too much health.

forgotten hero
14-01-2008, 22:45
COD4 Veteran! *twitches* "when a soldier gets angry, they become a target" so true! I got so pissed at the game at times... that one mission where you fight your feking balls off to get a place up some shoddy hill, with the enemy ramming Ak's up your ****, only to be told you have to fight your way feking down! */twitches with rage* great game though.

Dunno there have been so many tough spots in games and so many tough enemies, Halo 3 Brutes on the hardest setting.

COD2 Machine gun nests on Veteran where damn hard at times.

-Rob

Lt.Bradford
15-01-2008, 00:25
COD4 Veteran! *twitches* "when a soldier gets angry, they become a target" so true! I got so pissed at the game at times... that one mission where you fight your feking balls off to get a place up some shoddy hill, with the enemy ramming Ak's up your ****, only to be told you have to fight your way feking down! */twitches with rage* great game though.

-Rob

God Lord! I hated that, especially since, no matter where I went, I got sniped by some random guy somewhere.

theunwantedbeing
15-01-2008, 00:52
Impossible mode for red faction...anything with a raildriver.
Mainly as they NEVER miss with that particular one hit kill weapon that fires through everything.
Infact, even on easy mode they almost never miss with the bloody gun.....

Clods(sounds silly lol) on zone of the enders 2 are a pain.
Well, when fighting several groups of them as you havent got a lot of control over where you are when fighting up close.

Z-chan
15-01-2008, 02:07
Ninja Gaiden (NES) - Eagles

Yecch. Most annoying enemies ever. Their pecks do more damage than a bazooka shot. And more often than not getting hit by 'em entails getting knocked into a pit.

trydragon
15-01-2008, 08:55
Anything with a Rifle or bigger in Fallout 2 Had the potental to kill you and your party in one shot well thats till you get the powered armour then it anyting with a Minigun or bigger can take you out.

Very hard game but at the same time a Very fun one :D

lord_blackfang
15-01-2008, 09:30
Here's a good one: those annoying blowpipe fetishes in Diablo II

Yeah, first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread.

Killmaimburn
17-01-2008, 12:39
Were they in the jungle scenarios with all those islands? (I don't remember too much about them cos my little summoned things just keep running off and coming back:D)Good level for power ups though, kept going back there once I'd been through once.
Hardest non boss baddie compared to game toughness I've ever encountered I reckon were those blokes chopped in half fed by electricity somewhere in the labs (mid way through a levely bit) in return to castle wolfenstein, it was so hard getting passed them, I pretty much slept through the boss and all the rest at the end because they just weren't as hard as those gribbly legless dudes in the middle of the game.(IMo that game unbalance was a bit dumb)

Lord Kaiaphas
19-01-2008, 13:34
About anything in Xcom 2
On easy, opened my sub get as a reaction shot a stunbomb right in the middle of my entire crew, everybody stunned (= KIA then) and sub lost. Every step i made in that game left me a sweatdrop to see if i got shot. I never finished the game :p