PDA

View Full Version : Unusual idea?

Vesica
07-01-2008, 01:57
Ok so i have been reading the book 'let the galaxy burn' and have developed a fondness of regular guardsmen and normal humans in general.

So i was thinking about having my marines been saved at the last min by some IG'smen as you hardly if ever hear about this happening (with it normally being the other way around) and was wondering what you think about it? i was going to use it in the fluff to explain why the chapter now has a medium sized IG legion following them around on their crusade.

Im just thinking about how they managed to do it without being declared traitors.

Baltar
07-01-2008, 01:59
Why would they be declared traitors? Guardsmen and Space Marines work together constantly. The SM are the scalpel, and the Guard are the boomstick.

Vesica
07-01-2008, 02:04
lol, but the ig would adopt the chapters beliefs and colours and so on. I was worried that they would get some funny looks from Inq and so on.

imperial_scholar
07-01-2008, 02:15
lol, but the ig would adopt the chapters beliefs and colours and so on. I was worried that they would get some funny looks from Inq and so on.

This could work maybe if they were a feral company... and like the blood angels or an equally assaulty army.

It's not an overly strange idea... but I could see the guard having a hard time keeping up with the Space Marines... and how they fight differently too...
I can't add to this too much... I have a hard time picking one idea out of my head.

Khaine's Messenger
07-01-2008, 02:16
what you think about it?

Any explanation prefaced by "does this sound unique?" is going to spiral down the slope into the careful point that being unique just to be unique is not a very clever plan and will often seed the mind of anyone who listens to the tale with doubt that can erode suspension of disbelief.

So sure, I think it's possible. Heck, I think it happens more often than Space Marines want to admit, and it's quite possible that any such "rescue" could be turned around into the Space Marines rescuing the embattled guardsmen almost immediately just because of certain ingrained mindsets. Propaganda, eh wot. But as you will.

Im just thinking about how they managed to do it without being declared traitors.

Well, Guard aren't usually organized into "legions." That said, a spearhead consisting of a full marine chapter (or a sizable portion of one) would likely have a considerable number of hangers-on anyway, so unless they're especially brooding loners, I would think a few regiments of Guard would almost be standard for anything calling itself a "crusade." But that's me.

SpaceLanceCorporal
07-01-2008, 03:54
1) This is totally feasible. Actually IRL this is how it usually works. Marines fight to establish a beachead and/or capture critical assets. Regulars reinforce and take up the burden. I imagine that in Imperial Campaigns this would often be the case as well since Marines are not designed for occupation and prolonged fights.
2) Marines chapters employ IG regiments as planetary defense forces.
3) Many IG regiments are founded for the sole purpose of going on a campaign anyway. The idea that they remain on after their primary mission is accomplished and assist the marines in their crusade is not far-fetched at all.

That being said, I think you have a geat concept and the presence of a "grunt" force could be both characterful and effective for your marines.

TheDarkDaff
07-01-2008, 04:39
You could even give it a "salamanders" spin. They go back home and live in the native tribes of their homeworld. All you need to do is found your Spacemarine Chapter on some remote homeworld and have the Homeworld not only provide new recruits for the Marine chapter but raise Imperial Guard Regiments that fight alongside the chapter. It even gives you a steady stream of warm body's to replace those Guardsmen killed or retired.

Vesica
07-01-2008, 08:21
I was inspired by how salamanders treat average humans, but i dont want them to be too close like from the same planet but to have a respect for the guardsmen and their bravery at coming to their aid and save say the 3rd company from destrution.

I cant deciede how they get in that position in the first place though, i have 2 ideas

1) the SM's are set up and fall into a trap (kinda like the drop site massacre, but less massacrey)

2) as said above, they drop down to secure the site and through lack of intel are hit with more firepower than expected.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-01-2008, 08:52
But if the marines are dropping in to secure a beach-head. Where do the Guardsmen come from?

Vesica
07-01-2008, 08:57
it isnt a secure beach-head, i was thinking about this and i have an idea.

What if there was say a chapter bastion on the planet that falls under siege and the IG are close enough by to come to their aid?

TheBigBadWolf
07-01-2008, 12:29
How would the IG follow the SM around they dont own any ships and i dont see SM having thousands of guardsman run around a battlebarge. The IN needs to transport IG around and are nothing to do with the ground forces and so would not become attached to the SM chapter like the IG

Vesica
07-01-2008, 13:04
True about the IN transporting them, but im sure a company/chapter master wpould have the power to some how get a battle cruiser or transport.

Failing that, what about if they started on a crusade after almost failed mission? and say as the crusade continues the IG and IN start to become incorperated into the chapters beliefs and so on?

SpaceLanceCorporal
07-01-2008, 16:05
How would the IG follow the SM around they dont own any ships and i dont see SM having thousands of guardsman run around a battlebarge. The IN needs to transport IG around and are nothing to do with the ground forces and so would not become attached to the SM chapter like the IG

Maybe a pious trader sympathizes with them and lets them use his ship as a transport, thus furthering the emperor's will and providing ample opportunity for lucrative plunder and providing supplies for settlements on conquered worlds.

dr.oetk3r
08-01-2008, 01:26
This happened i DoW: Winter Assault. A squad of Ultramarines were rescued by a bunch of smelly guardsmen. The marines were thankful for the service.

Mort
08-01-2008, 17:32
True about the IN transporting them, but im sure a company/chapter master wpould have the power to some how get a battle cruiser or transport.

uhm,well,no.

thats the whole point behind the organisation of the imperial forces,noone has the power to snatch stuff from the other arms of the military forces.
Sure a chapter master could use his own vessels to transport guardsmen, but i really dont think that he can just "borrow" a imperial navy vessel.
Think of the Inquisition,they just wouldnt let it happen.

Kveld-Ulf
08-01-2008, 17:46
1) This is totally feasible. Actually IRL this is how it usually works. Marines fight to establish a beachead and/or capture critical assets. Regulars reinforce and take up the burden. I imagine that in Imperial Campaigns this would often be the case as well since Marines are not designed for occupation and prolonged fights.

I'd like to see this IRL army that has Space Marines. I'm pretty sure that's a little high tech for real life.

The idea isn't very far fetched. Space Marines have been assigned to groups of IG before, so a company of IG could be assigned to travel with a Space Marine group. For whatever reason.

-They saved the Space Marines
-Space Marines save them
-They're forced to because they owe someone
-Disgraced company put into penitence
-Honored company traveling with Space Marines (Strange that honor and disgrace both get the same reward, but that's the Imperium for you)
-Joint Campaign

Vesica
08-01-2008, 23:22
Nice ideas guys, as for the power to borrow a ship i was thinking more along the lines of "we are commendoring this vessel in the name of the Emperor, refuse and face destruction" lol. As for Inqs whos scared of them? im sure they have done worse with thier powers.

javgoro
09-01-2008, 14:39
I'd like to see this IRL army that has Space Marines. I'm pretty sure that's a little high tech for real life.

The poster youīre quoting said Marines, not Space Marines, as in US Marines.
As for the OP... I like the idea myself. Maybe the Chapter Master had to take temporary command of the guard regiment after its command units got all massacred by a deep strike/unexpected artillery attack/whatever (probably a heroic charge on the guardīs side that saved the Marines but got the commanders killed), and once the battle was over, and until a new command unit could be established, the marines were granted the support of those surviving units on grounds that they would go back to the normal structure once the campaign was over, or something like that.

Vesica
09-01-2008, 16:17
Nice idea Jav, i could say that no-one of high enough rank was left alive so the Company master took command till after the Crusade.

Kveld-Ulf
11-01-2008, 16:29
The poster youīre quoting said Marines, not Space Marines, as in US Marines.

That's stretching it a bit far there. Nowhere does it say US. Nor is there a distinguishing point during his sentences. He goes from Marines to Marine chapters. So it would seem otherwise.

Dominus_Serui
11-01-2008, 20:00

Never in a million years would it be allowed to happen, look at how many odd looks the Black Templars get for beeing above average size...the Inquisition and the adeptus Terra would NEVER approve Guard legions to be attatched to the Marines - incase you've forgotten thats one of the reasons the Imperial millitary was sectioned at the end of the Horus Heresy, so you couldn't have whole mass-legions going over to Chaos at once.

javgoro
12-01-2008, 01:35
That's stretching it a bit far there. Nowhere does it say US. Nor is there a distinguishing point during his sentences. He goes from Marines to Marine chapters. So it would seem otherwise.

No, it doesnīt say US, but it does say IRL. So, which IRL marines do you know exist? US Marines or Space Marines?

@Vesica: Just keep in mind that the guards would not change their uniform colours to match the marine chapterīs, since they are not under the command of the marines as far as the imperiumīs bureaucracy is concerned. Itīs just a temporary measure in a war situation that will be reversed at the first opportunity.