PDA

View Full Version : 54mm Pre-Heresy Dark Angel

precinctomega
07-01-2008, 15:00
I've been commissioned to do an elaborate conversion of the existing 54mm Space Marine (Artemis), turning him into a pre-Heresy marine. Although I'm a little time away from starting the actual sculpting, I thought I'd share my concept work (with the client's permission).

This initial illustration was based on the client's vague request for a pre-Heresy space marine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/MarineConcept.jpg

I thumbed through my Horus Heresy Collected Visions and noted what I thought were the coolest elements that had a clear "pre-Heresy" feel to them and immediately alighted upon the illustrations of Ultramarines with faceplates riveted over their Mk2/3 helms: very sinister.

This next image was to help the client visualize what sort of pose the client wanted. I recommended an upright pose to assist with playability (as, if the model had a more "typical" squat pose, it would need a 60mm base, reducing its ability to manouevre on a densely terrained tabletop).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept001.jpg

I also added more meat to the helmet concept (which the client loved), giving it a bit more detail and attention and adding a long-range comm-link to the helmet.

Note also the Mk1 bolter from the first illustration, based on the original RTB-01 design that I consider to be an icon of 20th Century design! Unfortunately, after seeing this sketch, the client decided on giving the model an assault focus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept002.jpg

One of the important things with a 54mm conversion - especially one that's a commission for a paying client - is that it has to be planned out in exact detail before you start to ensure (a) that the client is entirely happy with what he's getting and (b) that you know how to everything you plan on doing in advance, because there's nothing like promising a certain effect to your client only to discover later that you have no idea how to do it.

In that vein, I did this sketch of the leg. Artemis has Mk7 legs, with the separate knee-pad, so this is going to be an area where I have to a substantial rebuild.

The client finally decided that he wanted me to concentrate on Dark Angel concepts, with an "assault" feel - he indictated an illustrated in the Horus Heresy book of a Space Wolf with a big, round shield to give me an idea of what sort of look he wanted.

With that in mind, I did this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept003.jpg

This is another good example of why this sort of pre-planning is so important when working for a client. He specified the desire for the wings on the helmet but, as I was drawing them, I suddenly realized that I had no idea how I would sculpt them. Well, sculpting them would be easy enough. Actually, it was how to keep them from then breaking every time the client so much as dared to breathe on them. GW provides the solution, of course. I will use the plastic wings from the Dark Angels plastic boxed set.

The client loved the new chest plastron design (Mk2). He has now asked me to look into giving the model a mace (which is nice of him, because I complained about how rubbish I am at sculpting swords - for something that's just basically long and straight they take me absolutely bloody forever!).

I'm also going to start work on the helmet tonight or tomorrow - time to break out the Dremel!

R.

Ninners
07-01-2008, 15:07
Judging by the sketches, this is going to be a really cool project. However, as I have never seen you sculpting for all I know you could be rubbish :D. I'm sure your not though so do you have any pictures of any other sculpting work you've done?

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

precinctomega
07-01-2008, 15:24
My expertise is mainly in conversions rather than full-on sculpts as I rarely have the patience to finish them. However, being paid helps concentrate the mind.

Here's a substantial conversion I did a few years ago. I've improved since this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Inquisitor/ki1.png

I should add that I sculpted the head.

R.

ikim
07-01-2008, 15:47
Awsome concepts.
Can't wait to see pics of the WIPs.

cheers

malika
07-01-2008, 16:04
My expertise is mainly in conversions rather than full-on sculpts as I rarely have the patience to finish them. However, being paid helps concentrate the mind.

Here's a substantial conversion I did a few years ago. I've improved since this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Inquisitor/ki1.png

I should add that I sculpted the head.

R.

Based on Adrian Smith's artwork right? Love the concept art btw...great to see Space Marines with no squatting positions, GW models always seem to be squatting...why?

precinctomega
08-01-2008, 08:40
A quick update - no more pics yet.

I resisted the urge to start sculpting the head last night. I know you 'blog watchers'll be disappointed by that but - take note - this is a project that must be planned to the smallest degree before one actually starts the cutting.

However, I'm working on what should be the last concept sketches before going to the colour concept. I'll try to finish these today and post them once the client has had his say. If the client is happy with the final proposal, I'll be ordering my materials.

Because this is a professional piece, I won't be doing the usual "bodge it as best I can from what I've got" job which is my usual approach. Instead, I'll be getting in the best tools and materials I can. So GW will be benefiting from my custom as I'll be getting the new clamp and saw from them (and I'll include a review of these tools as part of the blog). Also, Heresy Miniatures will be getting my order for Brownstuff and ProCreate. Most of the sculpting will be done with ProCreate, but I'll be mixing small quantities of brown stuff in with the PC for the harder edges (like the armour plates) and small quantities of green stuff in with the PC for the more flexible areas (the loincloth and, now, a short cloak which I'm adding subject to the client's approval).

R.

3vilX
08-01-2008, 13:25
I really like the concept artwork, it's a shame that it's going to be an assault-ish marine, I really liked the bolter holding pose.

Also, are you gonna post the last few concepts?

precinctomega
09-01-2008, 12:40
Nearly finished on what - client allowing - should be the last few concept sketches. They're a bit more elaborate than previous ones, so are taking longer.

R.

Dominus Ex Machina
09-01-2008, 13:15
The sketches look mighty fine! I look forward to seeing you realizing them!

I really liked the pose in the second picture with the bolter though... oh well :)

Tiriel
09-01-2008, 13:54
Well, were's the mini?? Those sketches look great, I'm really eager to see them 3D!

CaptainSenioris
09-01-2008, 14:00
This is certainly going to be worth a watch, is the cloak going to incorporate the usual DA hood? I'd hate to see that lovely looking helmet obscured by anything.

Curis
09-01-2008, 14:13
Love the winged helmet design. Not too OTT but still very maiestic.

The 80's bolter with its ginormous sickle clip is fantastic.

The Dark Angels legion is a great choice. Bright colours on 54mm models look a little garish, but the black colour scheme of the pre-Heresy legion would look really imposing. Has your client comissioned you to do the painting as well?

precinctomega
10-01-2008, 11:53
Rather than labour on with something obvious, I've taken a scan of my latest concept sketch. I'm not going to start sculpting until I've had the downpayment from the client. I'm doing the sketches to help him decide exactly what it is he wants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept004.jpg

The shield is based on a medieval Italian design (not sure about the "power" cables on the front - I think I'll put them on the back and leave the front plain). The mace is WIP. I probably won't go with a conventional ball-head but something spikier and more "Dark Angels".

The right leg is wrong, but I feel like I need to have the parts of the actual model in my fingers to get it exactly right. Basically, I want him to be taking a step forward, bent forward slightly - this is intended to balance the client's need for a dynamic pose but one that's less awkward on the tabletop than the existing "Artemis" model.

R.

CELS
10-01-2008, 12:00
Fantastic concept sketches, precinctomega. I didn't know you had such skills.

I'll definitely be looking to steal some ideas here :D

precinctomega
10-01-2008, 12:01
I'm a positive cornucopia of untapped talent, CELS. We'll just have to see whether my sculpting skills are up to the challenge of the concepts.

R.

precinctomega
13-01-2008, 13:51
Can't let this thread languish on Page 4!

Here's the initial pencil work for the final colour concept:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept005.jpg

Once I've painted this and got the client's green light, I'll begin to acquire the necessary parts and equipment. I'll include this stuff in the log. Not least on my list of things to acquire is a new digital camera as mine has entirely broken.

R.

dr.oetk3r
13-01-2008, 16:48
Whoah man, ambitious.

precinctomega
14-01-2008, 08:30
The plan is to basicalyl chop Artemis into lots of little pieces and rebuild him from there. The detail is moderately tricky, but is mostly just a matter of press moulds and patience (something I'm usually short of when doing my own stuff, but which I have in abundance when motivated with hard cash). The shield will be made from a large yoghurt pot. The helmet wings will come for the plastic 28mm DA sprue, so they're easy-peasy. By far the hardest thing will be getting the posture right. Actually, if you cut up Artemis, you realize that Jes took some liberties with the model's proportions, so that - for example - his right leg is unnaturally long and his left leg is just a wee bit short. I'll probably have to cut the feet off entirely and sculpt them from scratch, but that's easy enough. The articulated joints will be a bit harder, but I have a method in mind that should make them a bit more simple.

Anyway, back to the grind...

R.

Animerik
14-01-2008, 09:39
Wow love the concept art itīs totaly awsome, really like the ideas you have. The mace and sheild combo will be alot more speciall than the usual "dark angels īn sword" look. My favorite pice is the helmet great work!

precinctomega
14-01-2008, 13:57
Incidentally, my thanks to whoever gave me a 4* rating before I've even started the work! I hope the rating doesn't go down once I start getting my hands dirty...

R.

Firebird
14-01-2008, 14:02
If your work is as good as the sketch I wouldn't worry about the rating.;)
And since it certainly seems so, I'm looking forward to seeing this project develop.

horzaman
14-01-2008, 14:33
Well i thought the sketches were good enough to show the potential of the work your going to do :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

OrlyggJafnakol
14-01-2008, 14:46
Let me just add my voice to those already raised in anticipation of this build.

Get cracking!

NickLess
14-01-2008, 16:32
Cool stuff. You've got some concept art skills I see. Judging from what I've seen I'd say this is gonna be one badass Dark Angel.

precinctomega
15-01-2008, 09:02
Get cracking!

Money comes first, then model. There'll be a slight delay between the two events, as I'll have to order the model from GW (the client is going to give me the money for that, too). But as I have a spare 54mm SM helmet lying around, I can, at least, start work on the helm (which is what everyone likes so much, let's face it).

R.

precinctomega
17-01-2008, 13:19
New update on the colour concept:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept006.jpg

Getting some good work done, as Number One Son has begun full-time school for the first time today.

I'd love feedback on the colour scheme. Obviously, it's the client's choice what I do (and this may well change), but I'm sure you lot will have input and suggestions. I've got a very easy client and my priority is making the finished work look good (especially as the complete model will be my entry to the Golden Demon this year, more than likely).

R.

EDIT - Woo, someone gave me an extra * on my thread rating. I loves you all!

precinctomega
24-01-2008, 21:21
Okay, the painting's not actually finished, but it's ready enough that the client can decided whether I get my green light or not to "go". Here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marineconcept007.jpg

As soon as he pays me, I can get started on the model itself!

...actually, that's not true. As soon as he pays me, I suppose I can start chopping up the SM head I have, but the real work won't start until I've received my orders from GW and Heresy... But we're nearly at the point of actually handling the metal. So that's good.

R.

Arhalien
24-01-2008, 21:25
Ok, that is looking seriosuly impressive! If the finished piece looks half as good as that artwork then it will be incredible.
Consider me subscribed!

dr.oetk3r
24-01-2008, 23:59
I like everthing except for the helmet.

Sorry, but it's the truth. I'd prefer a normal marine helmet or a MkII crusade helmet.

HorgothTheGreat
25-01-2008, 00:02
This is just so awesome. If I ever want a 54mm Model done(which I will), you'll be my first stop.

Brother-Captain De Angele
25-01-2008, 00:22
OMFG! this thing is great i am definately subscribing to this thread!

Ancelyn1331
25-01-2008, 01:34
Oooh. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project progresses. Superb artwork PO.

precinctomega
25-01-2008, 07:12
@dr.oetk3r - that is a Mk2 helmet! It's a variant that can be found in many Legions. More importantly, it's what the client asked for.

R.

Usiel
25-01-2008, 07:22
-Dances for Dark Angels-

That rocks, utterly ^.^ Love the Chapter markings. The helmet is great and the shorter pattern shoulder pad.

Look forward to the sculpt

Usi :skull:

precinctomega
01-02-2008, 10:08
OK, the money has been received and the model itself ordered. The full job will start once I've got the client's Artemis model in my hands. But as I already have the helmet, I thought I'd make a start. The helmet is, in many ways, the focus of the whole model: the thing that really screams "look at me! I'm pre-Heresy!", so it's worth taking time over.

I've also bought myself the new GW saw and vise to assist me in my task, so - as promised - I'm including a brief review of these tools.

So, here's progress so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework1.jpg

Not much to look at, eh? No, indeed. But if you peer closesly, you'll see that the face of the helmet has been substantially flattened. Those eyes will be covered over, as will the grille. I've also (you can't see this) taken a big chunk out of the antenna (the crest thing on his head). You see, the design of helmet I'm making doesn't have this long-range antenna, so what you can see of it will simply become the top part of the auxiliary faceplate, where it's bolted to the top of the helmet. Those who are intimately familiar with marines will know that the Mk7 helmet also has a collar running around the back. I've kept this bit.

One other thing - which I'm about to go and do - is that, beneath the auxiliary faceplate, the Mk2/3 helm I'm crafting here is one-piece, unlike the Mk7, which is - look closely - two pieces: the face mask and the helmet itself. At the moment, the area where the two join will be visible, so I've got to fill in the "cheeks" slightly to make the flow from one to the other seamless.

I did consider filing down the whole of the helmet to the level of the faceplate, but decided that that would be too difficult to get exactly right. If it all goes horribly wrong, I can probably get hold of another space marine helmet... I hope.

Anyway, onto the tools.

We'll start with the saw. I should say from the outset, that I've only used this very briefly so far and that was for cutting a pair of tiny slices in the antenna to mark the points where I would remove it. But, that said, it handled beautifully, cut smoothly and showed no sign of having been used - the teeth were as pointy and dangerous as the moment I took it out of the pack.

Which brings me to the one negative point: the packaging. Ladles and jellyspoons, do NOT attempt to open this packaging with anything less that a pair of heavy-duty kitchen scissors! The saw is sharp as hell and the way the plastic ripped when I attacked it with my little paper scissors and then went at it with bare hands... well, it's just lucky that I'm not sharing photos of the massive gash in my palm.

Anyway, here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/saw.jpg

Now, the vise.

Oh dear. I was really enthusiastic about this item. I've been wanting one for ages and here it was, purpose designed for Citadel Miniatures and all that guff. Well, my first disappointment kicked in when I picked it up: it's made of *******' plastic! PLASTIC! I want my vise to feel like it could be used as an improvised murder weapon! And, I have to say, the whole "suction cup" thing could do with work. Yes, if your surface is perfectly smooth it'll keep its grip... for perhaps as long as ten minutes. If, like me, your work surface is a little less smooth, then reduce that by at least half, if not more. Why they feel that it needs a "release" motion, I have no idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/vise.jpg

However, top tip: for better suction, smooth a little water on your surface.

That's enough from me. I have to go check on the greenstuff I've flattened out, to make sure it isn't adhering to the desk.

Oh, and remind me to show you, next time, what happened when I did some "experimenting" with my Dremel...

R.

sheep
01-02-2008, 10:53
Glad to see this is finally getting off the ground, can't wait for a model update.

Cheers

Sheep

OnnO
01-02-2008, 13:17
Glad to see this is finally getting off the ground, can't wait for a model update.

Seconded.

@Precinctomega: I'm glad I didn't buy that GW vise. Thanks for the heads up :)

Kiro
01-02-2008, 13:44
Holy crapola it all looks so awesome! :eek:
Please check your PM box, Precintomega!

dr.oetk3r
01-02-2008, 18:55
@dr.oetk3r - that is a Mk2 helmet! It's a variant that can be found in many Legions. More importantly, it's what the client asked for.

R.

Well, okee. If you say so.

http://www4.osk.3web.ne.jp/~hasinaka/mk2.jpg

I personally would prefer this ^ type of helmet. It's just that that helmet reminds me of Iron Man too much. But what the client wants is what the client gets.

http://www.partymob.com/media/wall50px/257424.jpg

But your artwork looks promising, so keep it up.

precinctomega
03-02-2008, 08:06
I'd have to refer you to the Horus Heresy Visions artbooks as I can't find a pic of it online. But the helmet design appears throughout the book - mostly on Ultramarines, but also on Thousand Sons, World Eaters and Emperor's Children.

EDIT - And here are some WIP pics of the helmet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework2001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework2002.jpg

I hasten to add that this is only stage one. The marks for the eyes and grille are just placeholders to help me line things up properly and the GS is curing before I add a new layer (which, actually, I've already done but haven't taken pics of yet - you'll have to wait until tomorrow!).

R.

sheep
03-02-2008, 11:24
Fantastic mate, really good start.

Cheers

Sheep

Catferret
03-02-2008, 13:37
Concept work looks great and I am a fan of that style of helmet that appeared in the Heresy artwork books.

I shall be watching this carefully to see if I can pick up any new handy hints. I need to improve my sculpting a bit.

precinctomega
03-02-2008, 13:55
Hints and tips? I'm learning all the time. For a start, I've begun using pure Greenstuff and am somewhat wishing I hadn't. It's annoyingly elastic even when thoroughly cured, making filing, cutting and carving harder than one might expect.

Of course, I knew what its texture was like before I began but, doing my own conversions, I've always been a bit slap-dash. Not having this luxury available to me for a professional commission, I have to give it my full attention.

But all is not doom and gloom. I've discovered that one gets a much smoother, better finish when filing GW is using a wet file.

Oh, and talking of amusing things, I still haven't shown you what I did with my Dremel! I forgot to take a pic again, but let me just say this: don't put anything in a rotary tool that isn't designed to go in a rotary tool!

I think I'm going to eBay my Dremel. Pics to follow, pending client's approval.

R.

Kasrkin 666
03-02-2008, 15:34
I was wondering if the Citadel saw was any good at cutting small things of and all that pish-posh.:D

-Sunny;)

precinctomega
04-02-2008, 08:34
Crappy pics, but here's an update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework33.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework3.jpg

Better pics next time: promise!

@Sunny - The Citadel saw is - so far - awesome. It feels sharp and strong and easy to control. For cutting metal, I wouldn't recommend anything else. But, that said, I've only just started to use it. Once I've got the rest of the marine on Friday and really start getting to work dismembering him, then we'll know just how good it is!

Better pics, with a bit of context - I ripped the head off my own WIP Space Marine to bring you this, so appreciate it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework41.jpg

R.

CaptainSenioris
04-02-2008, 09:01
That Helmet is looking awesome.

When are the wings being added?

precinctomega
04-02-2008, 09:07
When I've bought them! This Friday.

R.

sheep
04-02-2008, 12:19
That looks much better, the eyes looked crooked in the first pics.

Cheers

Sheep

precinctomega
04-02-2008, 13:15
I've already sharpened up the eyes and the grille. I've a little detail smoothing still to do, but I think I'll leave that until I've got the ProCreate to work with.

R.

Kasrkin 666
05-02-2008, 02:19
O.k. Thanks! Can't wait.;):p

-Sunny:D

precinctomega
08-02-2008, 16:05
I've now got the full mini and work can begin in earnest. I've started with the auxiliary chest armour. This is just stage 1. The armour needs to be trimmed to size once the putty has set, then detail has to be added, of course.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/picture001.jpg

I'm using ProCreate which, I have to say, is great. Much more malleable that greenstuff and smooths to a great finish just using water as the burnishing agent.

Meanwhile, the saw continues to impress (I had to cut away the belt, which is at the wrong angle for an upright-posed marine) and the vise to irritate.

R.

Jhagadurn
08-02-2008, 16:26
Keep it up. The only thing that bothers me, the faceplate doesn't look tall enough. I would think it more appeasing to sink a bit more into the neck armor... but that's me.

Catferret
08-02-2008, 18:12
Got to try Procreate one of these days. Keep meaning to but forget all the time.

Seems to produce good results though.

The wings don't quite look right to my eyes. I think mounting them closer to the actual helmet would look a bit better. In the end it's your call, just providing a little input.

precinctomega
09-02-2008, 09:08
I know what you mean and I'm considering it. It's up to the client, ultimately, but I might well end up mounting them a little higher and above the communications array instead of on top of it.

R.

precinctomega
09-02-2008, 17:39
Today's update:

I've been giving the legs some love and attention (in a Khornate sort of way that involves sawing them into pieces), and I've put the torso together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/picture003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/picture006.jpg

Looking at the legs, now, I'm thinking of maybe suggesting to the client that the model be stepping down from some rubble. What do you think?

R.

Catferret
09-02-2008, 18:00
Instead of rubble, how about a staircase/steps? Add a bit more interest I think.

Satan
09-02-2008, 18:46
I second the staircase. Doesn't have to be that grand. Maybe a couple of marble steps from a ruined staircase perhaps? Or stepping down from a broken large-scale aquila? That'd be scenic.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 21:50
I third the staircase too. Oh, and BTW, can I nick this idea for my own top-secret project I haven't even started to make up? It looks great btw! I hope you finish this...well, you have to, don't you? BTW, on the second-last pic in the corner, nexst to the cit leg, is that BLOOD?!?!?!

precinctomega
10-02-2008, 07:39
Well, ultimately it's up to the client. But this is not a display piece - it's a game model for Inquisitor. I find that bases that are so specific tend to detract from the impact of the model on the tabletop.

@mechu95 - Go ahead. But if you start a project log, I'd appreciate a link back to this one. And no, that's not dried blood. I've never actually injured myself that badly, nor have I yet felt moved to make a live offering to the dice god or the hobby god. I'm not sure what it is. I think it's Berol Burnt Sienna ink. I use it a lot for greasy metal effects.

R.

R.

Lost Egg
10-02-2008, 09:30
Wow! This is getting better and better. My only concern is that the front chest plate looks a bit thick. I like the side shot of the helmet, looks very cool.

HN

mechu95
10-02-2008, 09:36
Well, ultimately it's up to the client. But this is not a display piece - it's a game model for Inquisitor. I find that bases that are so specific tend to detract from the impact of the model on the tabletop.

@mechu95 - Go ahead. But if you start a project log, I'd appreciate a link back to this one. And no, that's not dried blood. I've never actually injured myself that badly, nor have I yet felt moved to make a live offering to the dice god or the hobby god. I'm not sure what it is. I think it's Berol Burnt Sienna ink. I use it a lot for greasy metal effects.

R.

R.

Yeah, sure. I'm not actually gonna start the actual modelling and stuff(and the log) until March, or even later perhaps. And I got a few ideas how to make it totally different myself, but I never seen something like this done before, so I always like to have a look at something simial before I start. Anyways, keep up the good work, and don't cut yourself!;)

G.Hawke
10-02-2008, 10:16
great work dude, your plan is as intresting as it is ambitious. i look forwards to seeing its fruition.

hawke

precinctomega
10-02-2008, 15:51
@ Norseman - The chestplate is, indeed, a bit thick. I deliberate made it a bit thicker than necessary so that I could file it to the right thickness. I'm going to have to cut some chunks away so that the arms'll fit, for a start!

R.

precinctomega
12-02-2008, 07:13
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework.jpg

I'm rather pleased with how well he's coming together. I'm sure some of you will think his head needs work. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm not going to keep tweaking it until I've done the arms as well. Then I'll have a better idea of the full effect of any adjustments.

R.

CaptainSenioris
12-02-2008, 07:40
That look lovely, but now I remember about artemis' crazy thin legs and massive chest. It's probably the way they're supposed to be but it still strikes me as strange.

precinctomega
12-02-2008, 09:05
Actually, I've been quite pleased with the proportions of the model once chopped up. There are a few discrepancies. His left leg is fractionally shorter than his right and his left foot is considerably bigger than his right (with some surprisingly flexible armour plate here and there!).

The chest may be emphasized by the enormous auxiliary plate that I have to file down rather a lot...

R.

ikim
12-02-2008, 09:25
Not bad at all: I'm looking forward to seeing this project evolve.
Now that I look at it better, isn't the chest plate you added a bit too thick? since it will become even bigger and bulkier with the addition of details, won't it oversize the chest, making the model look a bit out of proportions?

anyhow, keep up the great work.

cheers

precinctomega
12-02-2008, 12:35
As previously mentioned, yes, the chest paldron is both too large and too thick. The size was deliberate, as I intend to cut it down to get the size just right (this was very hard to do before the paldron was actually attached to the model). The thickness was not, but fortunately ProCreate files rather nicely. I have a piece of sandpaper all warmed up for that very purpose.

R.

precinctomega
13-02-2008, 14:53
New Update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework002.jpg

As you can see, he now has a left foot, slightly reposed (courtesy of extensive cutting and pinning). I've also repositioned the wings (without waiting for the client to tell me to do it, because I knew in my heart that it needed doing) and begun work on the arms.

The arms aren't stuck on (they be staying unattached until he's painted) but I wanted to get an idea of the model's true proportions. His right arm is now in several pieces and I need to scratchbuild his right forearm, as I've entirely removed the wrist-mounted auspex (and carefully put it to one side to reuse another time! - it's such a cool piece). The elbow is also separated from the shoulder pad, as I need to adjust its angle.

I've clipped the ridge away from the top of the left shoulder pad in preparation for rescultping - this'll involve grinding down the detail with my Dremel and then rebuilding it with a ProCreate/greenstuff mix - on the positive side, the cape means that it won't need to be too precise. But it's going to be a complex build as the left arm and half-cape will need to be done as a single piece! The backpack (I've cut the nozzles off, ready for the new, plasticard ones) will then go over the half-cape. I've also made the template for the shield, but as it's cut from clear plastic there isn't much to show you. I plan to layer it out of several pieces cut from an old yoghurt pot and then detail it (on both sides) with ProCreate.

The project is getting really interesting, now, because I've almost finished the basic shape of the model and can then start tidying up the details, filling the gaps, resculpting the articulation joints and adding fresh detail. I'll be sanding down the torso next.

However, as I'm having a new boiler fitted tomorrow, Number Two Son is at home and it's Valentine's Day, and as my parents are staging an invasion over the weekend, I probably won't get any more work done until Monday.

R.

CELS
13-02-2008, 15:44
Excellent stuff. This is easily one of the most interesting logs in this forum for me at the moment. Will you be doing more changes to the helmet, by the way? Such as widening the eye slits a bit, perhaps?

Grumbeard Starbreaker
13-02-2008, 17:44
The thing looks realy swell man, I realy like your style.

There is only one comment I have and that is the new breastplate.
Dont you think it is a bit to bulky?
I know that space marines dont mind and terminators are the epitome of bulkyness, but somehow it seems te bulky. I cant realy place it.

It looks great keep it up, I will follow this with great interrest.

Catferret
13-02-2008, 18:24
That's more like it. The wings on the helmet look way better now. The posing looks good too. I'm also a fan of the reworked leg armour, the new knee shape and one-piece plate look great.

I'm trying to remember how the arms looked in the sketch. I feel that the bolter arm held outstretched and blazing away at something would set of the stalking-down-stairs pose. Failing that, just holding it across the chest should work too.

precinctomega
13-02-2008, 19:16
There is only one comment I have and that is the new breastplate.
Dont you think it is a bit to bulky?

Please, please, please read the actual painting log before providing criticism.

Yes, for the seventh time, the chest plate is too bulky. Yes, I will be sanding it down on Monday. Please, for the love of Mike, stop telling me the chest paldron is bulky!

@CELS - I was looking at the eye-slits myself, today. They might get widened a bit. I'm very, very lairy of touching the helmet any more, not least because this particular bit isn't currently available from GW and I don't have a spare (I got this one in a trade with a friend). But I'll probably come back to it towards the end. I want to get the full pose and structure finished and then have to get on with the fine detail (like covering up the extraneous stuff still visible at his neck and resculpting the articulating joints).

@Catferret - No bolter. Otherwise I'd be doing that for sure. He's going to have a shield and mace (mace in right hand). However, if you refer back to some of my sketches, you will see details like a bolt pistol holster strapped to one thing - he'll be getting that, for sure. Plus a lot of additional interesting bits as I try to place him firmly in the 32nd Millennium.

R.

jpobrich
14-02-2008, 02:32
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with his cloak. I've always found cloth difficult at any scale.

Lost Egg
14-02-2008, 08:30
Hes definitely looking impressive. The helmet does look better now front on, any chance of a side pic with the new wing position?

Is that the start of the base or just there to prop him up?

HN

precinctomega
14-02-2008, 12:23
It's really just there to prop him up, but I'm thinking I might actually put that piece on the base. The client has specifically stated: no stairs or steps. This is a gaming model and should, as far as possible, look consistent with a typical tabletop, so expect a certain amount of rubble (with one big bit for him to be stepping over - perhaps a little crushed in the middle!), lots of soil and some static grass. Nothing elaborate - although I will be giving it a great deal more attention that I do my usual efforts, as this model will almost certainly be a Golden Demon entry this year.

R.

CaptainSenioris
14-02-2008, 14:57
He he nice to see you're at the point of ranting about the chest comments, mine was more about the core artemis chest rather than your's, I just think it's really huge when compared to the legs. I think its more to do with the 40k marines having what look like flares and thick legs when compared to their chests.

It's looking really good btw.

precinctomega
18-02-2008, 15:29
Update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework010.jpg

The chest plastron has now been filed down to the proper depth (yes, still bulky - but that's how pre-Heresy armour was). I've also started rebuilding the left arm - I cut the auspex section out entirely, cable and all, in the hope that I might use it on another model some time. You can also just about see the banding I've got about 75% done on the left greave, and the re-working of the left shoulder pad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework011.jpg

Here's a better look at the shoulder pad and the leg banding. The shoulder pad is pretty rough but, as the half-cape will completely cover it, it doesn't need to be perfect. I'll be starting work on the cape on Wednesday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework012.jpg

Here's a close-up on the leg banding. You can see where I still have to build around the ankle motive joint. There'll be more banding around the top of the thigh plate.

R.

Lost Egg
18-02-2008, 18:57
Precinctomega this is just getting better and better. Yep the helmet definitely looks better now I've seen the side view methinks. Are you still planing on doing studs on the left shoulder pad?

HN

synapse
18-02-2008, 19:08
WOW!

after that great concept art i honestly think the worst thing you can dois base it off of the artemis model - i really think it would come out a lot better if you scratchbuild the whole thing. but i should wait until after the whole thing is finished before i go put my foot in it.

a question: will the legs be bulked up? sicne theyre looking a bit thin after you bulked up the chest.

other thanthat - the work on the chest is great, really smoot hand the helmet is wichked. im also in love with the concept stuff! geep up the good work

precinctomega
18-02-2008, 20:02
I don't have the patience to scratch build the whole thing, synapse! Seriously, although I hear a lot of complaints about the Artemis model - and, yes, it does take some liberties for the sake of dynamics - this conversion is actually helping me appreciate the brilliance of Jes's original sculpt. I'll be adding banding to the tops of the thing armour, so perhaps that will help bulk the legs a bit. Other that that, I don't plan on messing with the thighs all that much.

You guys haven't seen it yet but, using blutak, I just put together the whole thing I've got, including the shield template (but not the mace, which I haven't started on, yet - another job for Wednesday!). If I do say so myself, I'm doing pretty well so far.

Of course, now I'm starting to sculpt the articulation behind the right knee and that's going to be a test of my skill - getting the evenness in the joints along with the sharpness the plates need is a challenge.

@Hairy N - Refer back to the concept pics. Yes, the left shoulder pad will have studs, but they'll be covered by the half-cape that will run from his left breast around beneath his powerpack and flowing out to the side. Starting on that is another job for Wednesday.

My plan is to make the left arm, cape and power pack as a single piece that I can remove from the whole in order to paint it fully. Likewise, the left leg will be of a piece with the base whilst the right leg, torso and right arm will be one piece. The head will be the final separate piece.

R.

matthewmw64
19-02-2008, 02:24
Is the Artemis model actually available form GW or is it like an Ebay only type thing?

precinctomega
19-02-2008, 06:40
Despite the recent changes, Artemis is still available from GW Mail Order (I got mine from them). But you'll need to call them direct or via your local Hobby Centre.

That said, there were several tell-tale spots on my model that suggested that perhaps the mould has seen better days. I recommend buying your Artemis while he's still looking crisp and clean.

R.

precinctomega
19-02-2008, 13:07
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework014.jpg

The number of people complaining about the lack of bulk on Artemis moved me to decide that this progress pic would be accompanied by a scale comparison for those of you who may have forgotten just how huge a Space Marine really is.

On the left is Inquisitor Nemesov - generally reckoned to be pretty tall at almost 6'4" in his boots. On the right is Corporal Fagin - an "average" human, at about 5'10". The chap in the middle is a Space Marine.

He does NOT lack bulk, people.

Anyway, today's progress report is fairly limited, because Tuesday isn't a work day - it's a "look after the ankle-biter" day. But he was asleep, so I got some stuff done.

Note the addition of the sword to the chest. I'm thinking of slimming this down a little to make more room for the wings (which are going to be seriously tricky to get right). I've also started work on the banding on the left leg. You can see the bit at the knee. You can't see the bit around the back.

I've also added both arms and the shield template, so you can get a better idea of the final piece of work.

R.

Nemoyo
19-02-2008, 13:17
Have you seen the sword on Forge World's etched brass inquisition symbols. I wonder if that would be the correct size for the chest plate?

precinctomega
19-02-2008, 13:18
It wouldn't. I checked. Too big.

R.

Triggerdog
19-02-2008, 14:07
I had forgotten how freaking huge marines are compared to normal humans. Nice picture.

Lost Egg
20-02-2008, 08:37
Whoa that is one impressive marine. Its good to see him standing next to normal humans. I was still a bit concerned that the chest was too chunky but now I've seen him like that I can see hes just right.

It also reminds me just how much you would crap yourself if you actually saw a real life marine close up, lol.

HN

CaptainSenioris
20-02-2008, 09:04
It's looking suitably massive amongst the smaller 'normal' humans.

Is the Mace last on your list of stuff to do?

precinctomega
20-02-2008, 13:02
Yeah, it's pretty much the last thing I'm going to do. Partly because I haven't the faintest fething idea how I'm going to go about it.

"Find a ball the right size" is easy to say - much harder to do...

R.

precinctomega
20-02-2008, 13:32
Here's the day's update. Now, I know the sword looks a little rough around the cross-guard... and it is. I'm going to cut that part off again and re-do it. C'est la vie. The wings, however, are looking pretty good. I'm yet to brush away so residue from filing, which is the pale grey stuff clogged in some of the corners.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework015.jpg

This photo shows how I've constructed the left arm to be removable. Now, again, some of you will notice that the left shoulder pad doesn't have the studs, as promised. It will. You see, because I was always going to add the half-cape, the studs were always going to be covered, so I can sculpt them on once the cape is finished as bumps beneath the material. Job's a good'un.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework016.jpg

R.

Catferret
20-02-2008, 15:47
Good start to the cloak. Looks suitably clothy.

Something I just realised, the collar has a Crux Terminatus/Terminator Honours badge. Was that symbol in use pre/during the Heresy? For some reason I thought it only came into use after. Mind you, I'm probably thinking of something completely different... Carry on about your business.

Triggerdog
20-02-2008, 19:22
the finalized chest plate is sweet and the cloak is looking to be good too.

precinctomega
21-02-2008, 13:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework017.jpg

As you can see, I've started building his cloak. This has been made from a lot of little blobs of ProCreate to get the right shape, but it will be smoothed off in due course.

Less obviously, I've adjusted the angle of the join of his right leg to his groin. This should make the whole thing look more natural.

R.

P.S. @Catferret - I think the Crux Terminatus appears in the HH Collected Visions book, so I assumed it was good for the period. I'll double check though.

Catferret
21-02-2008, 19:10
P.S. @Catferret - I think the Crux Terminatus appears in the HH Collected Visions book, so I assumed it was good for the period. I'll double check though.

In that case just ignore me. I don't have the books. Just wasn't sure so thought I'd mention it.

Cloak is looking suitably dynamic and windswept.

Sleazy
21-02-2008, 20:22
very nice. I converted Artemis into a Dark Angel when he was released back in the day, it really is a very nice model.

I recommend ]I[ fig to anyone. you dont have to play the game t appreiciate such great, characterful figs.

Triggerdog
21-02-2008, 21:01
very nice. I converted Artemis into a Dark Angel when he was released back in the day, it really is a very nice model.

I recommend ]I[ fig to anyone. you dont have to play the game t appreiciate such great, characterful figs.

A friend of mine doesnt play but bought the Ezekiel Arco Flagellant model, painted it up, and runs it as a generic greater demon in his chaos army.

Jampire
21-02-2008, 21:30
I think you're absolutely spot on about repositioning the right leg. I had my reservations while I was reading the log up until this point. It definitely looks more natural, like his weight's actually on his right leg.

The cloak also makes the model MUCH more dynamic, even at this early stage of it. I'd have made the mace pointing down and to the side to suggest a more heroic pose, but the client gets what he pays for, right! Well done, you silenced my reservations... for now! ;)

Similar to this (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/Nalper/dsc01915bk0.jpg), but with the mace pointing more downward.

precinctomega
22-02-2008, 07:23
The commission was particularly interesting because the client - like me - plays Inquisitor regularly. So the model had to be in a pose that worked effectively on the tabletop.

The original pose was too dynamic. Space Marines sometimes want to walk, sneak or evade like normal humans and don't always charge everywhere! (No, really!) So the pose had to have elements of both movement and standing still - I think I really nailed this, as his pose here could be part of a move forwards or simply standing in a position ready to attack at the first provocation.

The position of the mace was important, too. Inquisitor boards are crowded, claustrophobic affairs and marines have enough trouble moving around them, so the total space occupied by the miniature had to be as small as possible whilst still appearing natural. Hence, the position of the arms: relatively close in to the body and not flailing around madly like Artemis's.

Of course, the desire to put him into the Golden Demon was mine not the client's (although he was nice enough to agree to let me, and he doesn't live too far away so arranging collection should be easy enough), but that, of course, also meant that the model needed to have a narrative drive. That's what the half-cloak and battle damage will give the model. The half-cloak is the scrappy remains of a much larger garment an the battle damage will also tell the story of the storm of fire that this character has weathered in the course of his most recent battle.

R.

precinctomega
23-02-2008, 16:47
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework018.jpg

At every stage on this model I hesitate because I think that, this time, surely, I will screw it up. But, thus far, it hasn't happened.

I'm struggling a bit with the shield, but I've got a plan I think will help fix my troubles on that score. The cape is finished. The backpack has been attached and now I'm working on the new nozzles (bits chopped from an old ballpoint pen, since you asked).

I'm still contemplating taking my grinder to the front of the helmet to re-do it, but I'll leave that until last, I think. The process of finishing the left arm and attaching the shield in a meaningful way will come next. Then I need to finish the articulating joints, still (I tend to do that when I have spare ProCreate to use up)).

I'll start work on the base once that's done, alongside constructing the mace. Still not quite sure how I'll do that, but good old "Greenstuff" Gav Fry has given me a few helpful pointers.

R.

bdo
23-02-2008, 16:57
this is a really interesting thread - good for learning, too ;)

as of now i have no questions to ask, but to say that the mini is coming along really, really nice.

Hadriel Caine
23-02-2008, 18:06
looking SWEET Robey, this pic is better than the one on the 'clave, unless i missed it), spring conclave isnt far, think i'm gonna come. MIke too... possibly Salarath.

hus gonna be painting this badass?

Adam Cunis

sanctusmortis
23-02-2008, 18:09
It's looking ridiculously good, mate. Keep going!

precinctomega
23-02-2008, 18:35
If you come to the Spring Conclave, Adam, you might see this in the flesh as the client is possibly going to be there (the original deadline was in time for the Spring Conclave, but that was when it was going to be 29 March). Still, I guess even if he can't make it I could bring it along if I've still got it...

Oh, and that, of course, means that yours truly will also be doing the brush work. I should have the model itself finished in the next two weeks, giving me a fortnight to get it painted.

R.

synapse
23-02-2008, 23:11
like the progress on the cloak, and the chest design is top notch... though i stil lfeel the legs are too thin (for my personal tastes). overall, so far, great job!

precinctomega
24-02-2008, 07:21
Well, you would synapse!! :D

If anyone wants to see a marine with legs the width that synapse is describing, then you can always commission me to do it your way! 54mm Pre-Heresy World Eater anyone? ;)

R.

Hadriel Caine
24-02-2008, 07:50
i think i've died and gone to pre heresy heaven in that one statement.

synapse
24-02-2008, 13:14
oh yeah, please do! :p

precinctomega
24-02-2008, 16:02
I'd have to be paid. I have other work I could be doing for money.

R.

andymeechan
26-02-2008, 08:06

The Crux Terminatus contains "...a tiny fragment of the suit of armour worn by the Emperor during his climatic battle with the arh-traitor Horus..." (Codex Ultramarines, 1993, p23).

And Bolter&Chainsword has an article (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=202)too.

Of course, background has been known change and the symbol may have a longer history...

Andy

Lost Egg
27-02-2008, 08:51
I would have thought that the symbol had been around pre-heresy (its around now) but that post heresy they put the fragments of the Emperors armour in. I think that only applies to termie suits of armour as well. Well thats how I remember it from ages past.

HN

Triggerdog
27-02-2008, 09:15
I would have thought that the symbol had been around pre-heresy (its around now) but that post heresy they put the fragments of the Emperors armour in. I think that only applies to termie suits of armour as well. Well thats how I remember it from ages past.

HN

and you would be correct. The symbol of the Crux Terminatus has been used in the Adeptus Astartes for countless millennia. It says so in Insignium Astartes. Only the symbols attached to terminator armor have the Emperor's armor bits in them and that wasnt until after the heresy. Not just because of him getting mortally wounded but this is also apparent in that before the heresy Terminator armor looked different (Cataphractii pattern was the precise name) and did not incorporate the same iconography.

The Wildchild
27-02-2008, 12:36
I think we have our answer...

http://library.galciv2.com/mvlib/ss/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

This is the best image I could find, I would of scanned in the picture from Horus Heresy : The Collected Visions, but my scanner's dud atm. On the Emperor's belt, to the right of his loincloth there's a small Crux Terminus...so my guess is that if he's wearing one during Heresy, then they must of been around before hand.

Fantastic work btw...is really coming on a treat!

Ynek
27-02-2008, 13:01
[QUOTE=The Wildchild;2391763] On the Emperor's belt, to the right of his loincloth there's a small Crux Terminus... QUOTE]

Not to mention the tiny Crux Terminatus at the beginning of his sword-hilt (across the imperial eagle's body) or the one on his left shin, just under the kneecap... Hell, there's Crux Terminatuses (Crux Terminatii?) all over him!

Anyway, Precinctomega, I love the work that you've done here... I love the 54mm series of models, and I've loved what you've done with this one. I especially like the helm and the way that the half-cape drapes over the shoulder pad (It's the little touches I love.)
I'm very impressed, and look forward to seeing the finished product.

I could never do comission work... I would find it too hard to part with the model, since I would have poured my heart into it's creation.

Anyway, much respect and Kudos.
-Kenny.

Keadaen
27-02-2008, 17:55
Wow, words fail me when I look at this model, I am sitting here trying to find some fault, but its just so awesome looking I can't seem too....might have to pick up some inquisitor models for fun.

precinctomega
27-02-2008, 18:47
I would find it too hard to part with the model, since I would have poured my heart into it's creation.

All my clients get a free annual touch-up and repair service, so they can send my darlings back to me every now and then.

might have to pick up some inquisitor models for fun.

Noooooo! Pick them up to play Inquisitor! It's an awesome game and more fun than a bag of squirrels!

R.

Keadaen
27-02-2008, 18:53
Are you sure....you can do allot with a bag of squirrels...

salarath
27-02-2008, 19:01
ah screw it....pre heresy world eater done and painted by the best inquisitor GM in the world: I accept! What are your prices? Cos me wants it:evilgrin:

Ynek
27-02-2008, 21:02
All my clients get a free annual touch-up and repair service, so they can send my darlings back to me every now and then.

I guess I could live with that... But I would be absolutely devastated if the model came back to me, and it was in nine bits (A "game store kid incident"), or it had been desecrated in some other way.
I think I would be happier just not knowing what's happening to it. Ignorance is bliss!

Noooooo! Pick them up to play Inquisitor! It's an awesome game and more fun than a bag of squirrels!

R.

Motion seconded. Inquisitor is by far the most fun game that GW has produced to date. It's also one of the most flexible and open "game engines" I've played in years.
Provided the players go into the game with the right spirit, everything works out just dandy. (EDIT- And when they don't, there's always the GM...)

precinctomega
29-02-2008, 08:29
Latest update: I'm really approaching the end, now. The shield is nearly done. I've still got one half of the rim to do and I'm still working out exactly how I'm going to attack the shield to his left arm effectively.

I've started work on the mace. Now, when I put this together, I thought it was a little short. Looking at this pic, it looks a little long. What do you think?

The blob of ProCreate on the end is probably just a placeholder for the moment - I think the head of the mace needs to be bigger (you guys haven't seen the concept sketch for it, yet, of course).

The banding on the legs is all but finished, the cape is done and the backpack is done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework020.jpg

Meanwhile, I've started work on his sidearm and, for fun, put together a couple of scratchbuilt 54mm weapons, too. These are a double-barreled shotgun and a handcannon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework021.jpg

The bolt pistol is based on a sponson-mounted heavy bolter from the old Demolisher set. It's not finished, I hasten to add. But I thought I'd show you it anyway.

Originally, I was going to put this in a holster, but I think now that a holster for this monster pistol would look a bit silly. Instead, I'm going to use some sort of strap, I think.

R.

CaptainSenioris
29-02-2008, 11:08
<snip>...(you guys haven't seen the concept sketch for it, yet, of course)...<snip>

Pix please :D

Jampire
01-03-2008, 06:26
My thoughts on the mace is that it's slightly too long. Maybe bring it down just a centimeter or two.
Then again, I guess I'd like to see the top finished before I made any final judgment.

The stock of the shotgun also look a little weak to me as well. Maybe a bit too small? It's hard to say. I'm thinking a stock similar to a plasmagun would look better, but again, I'd need to see more before any final judgments were made.

Well done sir, well done. Can't wait to see it painted up!

Mewy
01-03-2008, 12:04
I think the mace should be one ball-width shorter... maces in medieval periods were about as long as a short-sword (and yes i know this is the 41st millennium, but even so there's a limit to weapon/material functionality).
The cloak bothers me a bit. Maybe just cause I haven't seen the back yet. But it looks a tad too short... it's obviously torn and that though so it's probably just the angle I'm seeing that looks strange.
Other than that, I love the posing. Gives me the impressions that s#*& just got real.

precinctomega
05-03-2008, 08:41
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework023.jpg

I hope you can see the changes. The helmet isn't finished: the front plate needs tidying and sharpening. But I think it shows improvement over the greenstuff original. You can also see that I've reduced the overall length of the mace and added and extension to the length below his hand. I've rebuilt the index finger on the right hand (as previously, it was holding a trigger and so protruded more than was natural). I've also added a piece from the 28mm mace as the decorative collar of the mace. Not what I originally planned, but I think it looks pretty cool. The mace need the tips of some plastic cocktail sticks to finish it off, which are on my shopping list for tomorrow.

You can also see the studs under the cape on his left shoulder. These are still a wee bit prominent and need filing down a touch, but otherwise I'm quite happy with them.

I've removed the exhaust vents from the backpack. I'll be rebuilding these out of several diameters of plastic tube to make them more elegant - I'm also hoping I might be able to find a plastic replacement for the "blob of ProC" that's current sitting in as the mace's head.

The other point to note is the holstered bolt pistol on his right hip. I was going to put it on his left hip but (a) it didn't fit comfortably under the shield arm and (b) he's right-handed, as evinced by the arrangement of his shield and mace! This is just held on with blu-tak ATM. I want to make a nice strap to go around his leg and to attach it to his waist belt. I like how this holster came out. It look sufficiently robust to contain the bulk of the bolt pistol without being stupidly large.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework025.jpg

Here's a better shot of the holster. There will also be a strap running under the pistol grip to keep the pistol secure and to cover the absence of a trigger guard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework024.jpg

Here's a shot of the shield. I'm sure some will think it's too large, but the size was specified in the client's original brief and the size of this shield is more historically faithful to the historical origins of the design. Warriors on foot carried shields as large as they could get away with, for the most part.

The shield rim is still a little rough (not as rough as it looks in the photo, though!) and I'll be trimming and filing that today.

R.

Hadriel Caine
05-03-2008, 09:09
WOW. Robey that is absolutely immense. the bolt pistol looks fab. really really fab. I see what you meant about the Dark Angels 28mm sprues... quite handy aren't they! the shield is HUGE, but I for one like it like that. the resculpted helmet looks much better IMO, smoother finish and sharper edges.

the mace is shaping up nicely, looking at the photo focusing on the shield the mace looks almost small in comparison, especially the head of it... just a thought! also my only real criticism is of the left shoulder, you have the positioning of the studs right but if a cape is pulled over them then perhaps it would leave a trail behind it.

is that a bit vague? the fabric would be stretched over the studs and so would not leave a perfect lump at one side.

overall AWESOME work.

p.s. just lifted the shoulders and shortened the neck on my Dark Mech guy over on the 'clave should get pics up later, thanks for your honest feedback

precinctomega
05-03-2008, 09:19
You can't see it in the photo, but several of the studs (the ones nearest his back) are, actually, trailing some cloth as you describe. Likewise, the ones near the front, where the cape is pinched in under the little shield, trail some cloth forwards. You can just about make it on in the last photo on the stud right at the top.

R.

Hadriel Caine
05-03-2008, 09:30
:mad:
in which case.

Awesome.

thought of everything haven't you mate! I'm very impressed with the attention to detail here.
:D

theunwantedbeing
05-03-2008, 10:15
This is going to be "constructive criticism".

The front plate is too wide at the base, and is too low on the model, as well as jutting out much too far.
On the original sketch/painting that you seem to be trying to replicate, the dimensions are quite different to what you have created.

So he looks a bit like a ball with arms and legs.
Good work, just doesnt appear to be quite the same as the picture, and I reckon it suffers because of it.

Apologist
05-03-2008, 10:58
This is a really masterful piece of work, PO. I've been following the progress, but haven't posted so far because there seems like either too little to constructively criticise, or too much to rave about.

Fantastic-looking model, and I have appreciated seeing it develop.

Any chance of your writing a mini-review on ProCreate (that is what you're using, right?)

precinctomega
05-03-2008, 12:34
@theunwantedbeing - "constructive criticism" is always welcome! However, I can reassure you. There is a huge practical difference between what I put down on paper (that doesn't have to account for tricky things like space or physics) and what turns into reality. But in this case, the chestplate is, in fact, almost identical to the one in the illustration in terms of its length. It appears wider in the photo because the torso is angled forward. IRL it comes to just at the top of his codpiece and a fraction wider, just like it should be.

R.

Jampire
06-03-2008, 04:12
Now I believe I can give my final verdict.

I love it. And I can't wait to see it painted.
Damn me and my seething jealousy.

precinctomega
07-03-2008, 12:14
Finished!!

But for a little tidying up on the shield, the model is done:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework026.jpg

Don't make any more suggestions, corrections or criticisms because, from here on in, the only person I'm listening to is the client.

However, many thanks to all those who've contributed with their ideas, thoughts and comments along the way. This has been by far the single largest piece of conversion I've ever done, beating even Kang-Ju Ki into second place, and it's been a tremendous learning experience.

Now all I have to do is paint him...

[There will be a slight delay in further posts, as I have to have a bit of a chat with the client as to any additional details he wishes added, the character of the model and the exact colours, but I'll be back with new posts within the next week or so.]

R.

Lost Egg
07-03-2008, 20:33
Looking good & I shall eagerly await seeing him painted!

HN

explorator
07-03-2008, 21:38
Any chance we could see a pic from the back? I love this model! I find crisp sharp lines of procreate look perfect, and though I was skeptical of the big spikey mace, it totally fits, and add character to the piece. Well done!

TheMacDiesel
12-03-2008, 12:03
Highly inspirational thread!

Keep the updates coming!!!

precinctomega
12-03-2008, 16:56
Painting WIP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework029.jpg

Close-up on the shoulder pad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework033.jpg

@various people - there are a few wonky bits, I cannot tell a lie. I broke off and reattached the wings so many times that I gave up.

The mace, I have to say, isn't strictly wonky. It has one piece of thick wire running all the way through it. But the mace head is a little off-centre. C'est la vie.

R.

Triggerdog
12-03-2008, 18:48
wow, with paint it looks even better

synapse
12-03-2008, 18:57
love the red on the icons. looks really good!

shaso_iceborn
12-03-2008, 19:19
subscribed (a little late but hey this is awesome)

precinctomega
12-03-2008, 19:46
Not too late, shaso_iceborn. I've still got another week or so to finish the painting...

R.

migsula
12-03-2008, 20:34
Good stuff! Your improvement from the first 54mm conversion you shared is there to see and I'm sure you've leared many things along the way. I like the model overall, but think that the facemask area lacks detail and could be sharper.

precinctomega
13-03-2008, 10:03
Cheers, Migs. I'm sure my next one will be even better!

Incidentally, that first 54mm conversion I showed you guys placed in the final 10 of the Golden Demon Open Competition in 2005 (the last time I entered). I'm hoping that this piece will at least do the same (but in the Large Model category, which was reinstated after 2005).

R.

Jais
13-03-2008, 10:50
I never post here,

but I must say im impressed!

This is fantastic,
and It shows that if you have a good plan,
it comes out great!

Looking forward to see it finished!

OrlyggJafnakol
13-03-2008, 10:52
Loving that base! Could you be kind enough to explain how you achieved it? Its exactly what I am after for my chaos daemon world!

precinctomega
13-03-2008, 16:58
The base? Um. Gravel. Plastic bit. Paint.

I used a 50/50 mix of Tanned Flesh and Bestial Brown on the gravel. The plastic bit is, of course, on its way to being rusted metal. The rust effect was achieved with a 70/30 mix of Blazing Orange and Bestial Brown followed by a dry brush of Sunburst Yellow. The paint was applied in a stipling pattern. Pretty easy, really. I'll be adding some bare metal to the part where his foot has scraped the rust away.

R.

EDIT - Oh, I drybrushed the gravel with Bubonic Brown. First Time I ever used that colour.

precinctomega
19-03-2008, 16:41
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework034.jpg

I decided that his armour was a bit plain and decided to add some freehand to the right greave.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinework035.jpg

And I decided to rationalize his half-cape by making it the tattered remains of his lost chapter's banner (remember, he's pre-Heresy).

I still have to finish the arms (all those checks take a lot longer than I anticipated!!) and, of course, varnish him. But he should be finished for Saturday.

R.

19-03-2008, 17:51
his lost chapter's banner (remember, he's pre-Heresy).

there where no chapters pre heresy mate, pre-heresy companys where chapter sized so you might have just got mixed up, but if your customer is a fluff nut he might not like the fact it says chap on his cape, but the idea behind it is cool

Nath

Luthien
19-03-2008, 18:37
Nah man they were sometimes called chapters too so it's all kosher

precinctomega
19-03-2008, 19:07
Well done, Luthien! The Dark Angels were one of the Legions that was sub-divided into Chapters. Horus Heresy: Collected Visions p273 - Astelan is described as Chapter Master of the Dark Angels.

EDIT - My client is a "fluff nut", but not as much as I am.

R.

Triggerdog
19-03-2008, 19:51
that cape is killer.

Lost Egg
20-03-2008, 10:27
Tis looking grand & I can't wait to see him finished!

HN

precinctomega
27-03-2008, 13:56
Although it's not absolutely and entirely finished (there are one or two bits and pieces to touch up), the light was perfect this morning for some decent photos, so I took my chance while it was there.

Here is is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinecomplete1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinecomplete2.png

R.

CaptainSenioris
27-03-2008, 14:08
Excellent, I hope your client is very pleased.

OrlyggJafnakol
27-03-2008, 14:12
I'm loving the mud and blood splatter on the marine's cloak. Very effective.

Ultra_17
27-03-2008, 16:58
i wanna see a size comparison cool model

Monsterzonk
27-03-2008, 17:42
Really cool!
But maybe you should add some blood/mud to the shield as well. It looks a little plain right now (though it's hard to tell at this angle...)

precinctomega
28-03-2008, 06:39
I have now added splatters to the shield. I wanted to take advantage of the fabulous light I had yesterday: sensibly, as it turns out, as the weather today is abysmal.

R.

Ridicule
28-03-2008, 07:45
That is one cool Dark Angel :) Very well done! I'm impressed to say the least.
However I keep getting bothered by how the backpack is on top of the mantle, it looks cool if you don't think about it. But did you intentionally ignore it or is there something I've missed?

Still it's kick*ss and I don't wanna be critizising it. Regardless of the mantle thing it looks sweet!

precinctomega
28-03-2008, 15:57
@Ridicule - Not sure what you mean. Would it have been better if the (very-hot-waste-product-spouting) backpack had been under the cape? I thought it made more sense this way around. Although this is very much the client's vision, rather than mine, I understand that this chappie is a relic of the Heresy, stomping around the 41st Millennium (I don't pretend to understand how this could be - perhaps he's Fallen; perhaps there's some other story). He wears the remains of his former chapter's standard as his cape to remind him of where he came from.

Anyway, here's an updated pic with all the best bits:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/marinecomplete3.png

I'll be putting him up on CMON shortly and will post a link here. Please vote. I'm not a big fan of CMON but I'd love to break that mythical "8" barrier that I've so far been unable to crack.

R.

dr.oetk3r
28-03-2008, 16:04
Damn, looks great!!!

precinctomega
28-03-2008, 16:10
Oh, and I should add, for Ridicule's benefit, that there's a scale pic on page 5.

Your vote is appreciated (http://www.coolminiornot.com/186162)

R.

BLARGAG!!!
28-03-2008, 17:22
i would be extremely interested in a scale shot with a 40k scale marine.

BLARGAG!!!

precinctomega
28-03-2008, 19:43
I'll see what I can do.

R.

Ridicule
29-03-2008, 07:44
@Ridicule - Not sure what you mean. Would it have been better if the (very-hot-waste-product-spouting) backpack had been under the cape? I thought it made more sense this way around. Although this is very much the client's vision, rather than mine, I understand that this chappie is a relic of the Heresy, stomping around the 41st Millennium (I don't pretend to understand how this could be - perhaps he's Fallen; perhaps there's some other story). He wears the remains of his former chapter's standard as his cape to remind him of where he came from.

Oh, and I should add, for Ridicule's benefit, that there's a scale pic on page 5.

Your vote is appreciated (http://www.coolminiornot.com/186162)

R.

No of course, it makes more sense to keep the backpack on top of the cape. And it is your clients vision. But my thought was that when he placed the banner as a cape... did he rip a hole in it to be able to have the backpack sticking out of it. Also concidering the position of the cape, what happens when he's standing still and there's no wind? :P

It's kind of silly, I know. This isn't criticism I'm just thinking out loud. The model is great looking and I gave it a 9 on coolminiornot :)

Also, there must have been a missunderstanding, I didn't want a scale-shot :P I've followed this log from the beginning. I've seen the scale and I know how big an Astartes really is and you've done a great job on that too ^^

Cheers

Drakon
29-03-2008, 08:14
looks aworsome even for a dark angel :p

precinctomega
29-03-2008, 09:45
my thought was that when he placed the banner as a cape... did he rip a hole in it to be able to have the backpack sticking out of it. Also concidering the position of the cape, what happens when he's standing still and there's no wind? :P

Not a silly question at all. The backpack's connectors run through the cape and when the wind's not blowing it simply hangs limp below the backpack - but that wouldn't look as cool. Do you think he always tries to have the wind on his left to look as intimadating as possible? :D

R.

Ridicule
29-03-2008, 10:23
Not a silly question at all. The backpack's connectors run through the cape and when the wind's not blowing it simply hangs limp below the backpack - but that wouldn't look as cool. Do you think he always tries to have the wind on his left to look as intimadating as possible? :D

R.

Ah well, yeah, that makes sense.
Rofl, just what I was thinking ^^ Truly confuses his foes when he keeps running about to keep the wind on his left :P Typically astartes showoffs.

talos935
31-03-2008, 07:04

Siged

Notion seconded though, Inquisitor is one of the most adaptive games in the GW range in my opinion. You just have to remember it's aimed at mature gamers.

theunwantedbeing
31-03-2008, 07:11
Not bad....still looks like a ball with arms and legs though.
Can we see a crotch level picture of him?