PDA

View Full Version : Biggest 'Ouch' moments in Video Games (SPOILERS)

Stormtrooper Clark
07-01-2008, 15:12
Ever played a game where something has happened to a character and you say "Ouch!"?

For me, in no particular order:

- Flood transformtions in Halo 3, gotta' feel sorry for those Marines

-The guy who gets impaled by the Geth on that giant spike at the start of Mass Effect.

-Most scripted Human deaths in Starship Troopers

- HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE 2 SPOLILER

-Eli getting his brains sucked out at the end.

- F.E.A.R: EXTRACTION POINT SPOILER

The second to last F.E.A.R Squad member getting killed by those floating...zombie...thingies.

Kaze
07-01-2008, 15:24
Metal Gear Solid 3:
The accidental shot on Big Boss' right eye during the Volgin's torture sequence.

This one is particularly stupid as the character is a robot.... but every beating Jehuty gets from Anubis prior to the unlocking of its full powers... specially the one in which Neftis intervenes with a metal pillar straight through Jehuty's chest in ZoE2.

The Guy
07-01-2008, 15:36
Carmine getting sniped in gears of war. I loved that guy! :cries:
In resident evil 2 near the beginning in the gun shop. The guy who helps you gets ripped to shreds by a horde of zombies.
Everybody I've ever sneaked up on in predator concrete jungle.
There was this marine on halo 2 [I like to try and keep them alive] in my warthog. I flipped it, he fell out and ended up between a wall and a ghost.

bdo
07-01-2008, 17:36
quake 4 - the stroggofication

although it was quite interesting/funny, i thought "ouch" at the same time...

Tonberry
07-01-2008, 18:02
Innocents when I just started playing Assassins Creed and kept 'accidentaly' pressing the wrong button.

kortholaxthedamned
07-01-2008, 20:05
Beating in Ryan's skull on Bioshock. Only video game so far to make me wince.

The pestilent 1
07-01-2008, 20:17
Freespace 2 (There's a trend here :p )
The mission "Their finest hour"

Basically, you are defending a convoy, evacuating this star system so you can seal off the jump point and seal off the Terran / Vesudan empire from the Shivans.
Things go bad and enemy cruisers begin jumping in, you are being overwhelemed.
Then the Colossus jumps in. The biggest, meanest, **** of a human ship ever created, even badly damaged from it's last fight, it tears enemy cruisers apart.

And then a Sathanas jumps in, as it passes the Colossus it fires, not even slowing down it decimates the ship and wanders off further into the system.

The Colossus is lost with all hands.

Half a mission later you are thrown into a cut-scene, the Sathanas armada destroys the local star and you have 8 minutes to get to the jump point and jump out.

If you play the mission as you are meant to -with no prior knowledge of the super-nova, defending the convoy and such- you cannot make it out.

Yeah. The game kills you in your finest hour.

Drogmir
07-01-2008, 21:16
ANy death in Resident Evil 4

theunwantedbeing
07-01-2008, 21:56
GTA:San andreas where you jump off the really massive jump on that hill in the hilly area (not a clue of names) and youn hit the gorund and, by the sounds of it you shatter every single bone in your body with the most gutwrenching Crunch you've ever heard.

Or on red faction, hitting somebody with a rail driver/shotgun in the groin.

Z-chan
07-01-2008, 22:34
The entirety of Manhunt II, especially the gimp level.

silence
07-01-2008, 22:53
Biting someones face off in the AvP game as an alien :)

A number of the MK series finishing moves....

Oh, and dropping a NOD nuke straight ontop of a single GDI infantry man, made me think ouch... then laugh alot :D

Knights of Requiem
08-01-2008, 08:57
I have Two from Assasins Creed.

For anyone who has played the game, they know that 99.9% of Observation Points have hay underneath which you can leap off and do an elegant acrobatic flip to land in.

With a percentage that high, you dont realise there is one point that does NOT have the hay waiting for you to ever so gracefully leap in.

That point is the Highest point of the Christain Cross at the very top of the spire at the Cathedral in the city of Acre.

With experience behind me, i leap...you really have to love the ragdolling of colliding with the ground from that height, its so brutally awesome! :D

the second one, is the counter where you block the blade high with your short blade, and when they sink to their knees, you bring the blad down hard through the very top of their head. The suond is completely sickening, and completely awesome.

I love the brutality of the counters in Assassins Creed.

Die Templar Die

Jedi152
08-01-2008, 09:13
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin had it's moments.

You can keep your Assassins Creed, nothing beats sneaking into a hospital, disguising yourself as a surgeon, then casually walking into the operating theatre and 'botching' the operation on a target! :evilgrin:

Or spending 5 minutes sitting on a water tower meticulously lining up the single bullet that will take out two informants through the head in a Russian park several hundred metres away.

The Laughing Man!
08-01-2008, 10:30
For anyone who has played the game, they know that 99.9% of Observation Points have hay underneath which you can leap off and do an elegant acrobatic flip to land in.

They ALL have haystacks. The amount of people saying they don't or that its a bug is getting to be quite irritating. If you can't be bothered looking for a safe place to land you deserve to die.

Anyway I have 2 nominations:

COD4 When the nuke goes off its a pretty wow moment but when your heli starts to spin out of control and that marine gets flung out and bounces off the door frame on his way out, just makes me wince every time. Seems a bit odd really as everyone dies in the (nuke, duh) but still.

Also a lot of the sync kills in Assassins Creed are pretty ruff and a surprising amount involve ball kicking. Breaking a dudes neck thats fine but kicking him in the balls? Thats just not cricket.

der_lex
08-01-2008, 12:21
A classic: Johnny Cage's 'ballbreaker' move in Mortal Kombat.

I also always liked the stealth kill in Tenchu that you performed when you jump-attacked your opponent from behind with Rikimaru...he pulls his opponent's head to the side and just rams his entire sword vertically down his neck along his spine. Nasty.

The_Dragon_Rising
08-01-2008, 12:33
FFX- Sin vs Crusaders and Al-bhed. When he annihilates them to atoms that is pretty 'ouch'.

Agree with The Laughing Man! aswell the the CoD4 guy.

Forbiddenknowledge
08-01-2008, 13:03
Assassin's Creed Kill - you kick upwards in the nads, and as they drop to their knees, bury your sword in their neck.

After that, they'd want to die :D

A lot of the drunks as well make me go "Ouch" when they hit me, as I know they is getting chucked in the drink for that :D

Not so much an "ouch" moment, but a damn creepy one - Bioshock, when you save the little sister and she tries to fight you off, and says "NO, NO NO NO!" but with that deep male voice 'behind' hers.... thats creepy. And when you kill Daddy, and they cry over the body of Mr. Bubbles....

Kept me up all night *shudders* :)

Inquisitor Maul
08-01-2008, 13:25
Assassin's Creed Kill - you kick upwards in the nads, and as they drop to their knees, bury your sword in their neck.

After that, they'd want to die :D

A lot of the drunks as well make me go "Ouch" when they hit me, as I know they is getting chucked in the drink for that :D

Not so much an "ouch" moment, but a damn creepy one - Bioshock, when you save the little sister and she tries to fight you off, and says "NO, NO NO NO!" but with that deep male voice 'behind' hers.... thats creepy. And when you kill Daddy, and they cry over the body of Mr. Bubbles....

Kept me up all night *shudders* :)

I started Assassinating them and the beggers. Damn bastard keept sabotaging my clever plans :mad:

hamster67
08-01-2008, 13:27
Prince of Persia: sands of time. poor guy i made him die soo many times i think i need help :p
also spartan total warrior you lunge and put your sword into them jump on thier shoulders and push off, not nice at all.

hamster67
08-01-2008, 13:28
Also all the death animations in dawn of war. not a few but all of them :p

Vodevil
08-01-2008, 13:40
Come on people, those are nothing... How about Dante in DMC1 getting impaled and pinned to the ground by massive broadsword, then lifting himself off of it... Feels Good!

Kaze
08-01-2008, 13:49
Come on people, those are nothing... How about Dante in DMC1 getting impaled and pinned to the ground by massive broadsword, then lifting himself off of it... Feels Good!

Absolutely true. I might add some enemy deaths in GoW:
- When you hang those normal greek dudes in the air break them in two halves.
- When you are on one of those climbing sections, you pick their heads and smash it 3 times against the wall before dropping them. Priceless :D

theunwantedbeing
08-01-2008, 14:16
Playing some game for 2 days straight and then having one of your parents turn the thing off and you avent saved at all during the whole time.

Technically not "in" a game but certainly a bigger ouch moment due to how real it actually is.

Melchor
08-01-2008, 14:45
The very first Tomb Raider (PC). When I discovered you could also 'dive' when jumping off stuff.

Needless to say, Lara fell head first onto the rocky ground, resulting in a sickening cracking sound and death.

Jedi152
08-01-2008, 14:48
Ah, i remember that. Much fun was had making her dive and do somersaults in the air before crunching to the ground.

SwordsofChaos
08-01-2008, 14:49
A bloodthirster using the broadside of his axe as a bat, on a guardsmen. They fly so far, but its even more hilarious when they smack into a sheer cliff face.

I also have a picture$ Halo 3 of two grunts looking all sneaky-like, and then the master chief coming up behind them, partially invisible, with a shotgun. I love that pic.
Another from halo 3, a video of a guy being flooded by fast but weak zombies in infection.
He gets a killimanjaro before dies, and his kill score for that round is at 90+. Its an awesome video, and he dies so brutally (beam sword in the back, after spraying at a zombie running past him).

five01st
08-01-2008, 15:20
If anyone's played or seen the CC moves in Uncharted:DF, those are both awesome and painful. Groin kicks, point-blank shots with the pistol and LOTS of kidney shots. Completely awesome.

The Guy
08-01-2008, 16:47
On call of duty 3, if you'd ever jumped from the window in the barn on Poisson you'd know what I mean. The cracking is gut wrenching. Go on try it ;)

Also in black and white, picking up a random peasant and throwing him at a mountain. Or in the sea then pick him up again and drop him again. Then hold some button so it looks like you're prodding him under the water :p

floyd pinkerton
08-01-2008, 17:10
hmm, the MGS3 scene forementioned, where big boss loses his eye.

and Ryan in BioShock, that was plain:eek:as you golf club him to death

heretics bane
08-01-2008, 17:57
I started Assassinating them and the beggers. Damn bastard keept sabotaging my clever plans :mad:

Ohh god dont get me started on the beggars......target in site every things goin well the she jumps in front of you and slows you even more down than blending...........*stab,stab,stab* or the mental ill how keep pushing you over.......*punch,punch*

Gue'la Koholic
08-01-2008, 17:58
God of War 2 when you kill Theseus. It's like a scene from Goodfellas.

Arnizipal
08-01-2008, 18:41
A classic: Johnny Cage's 'ballbreaker' move in Mortal Kombat.
Yeah that's a good one. I loved how it didn't work on female fighters.

Converting a thief in Dungeon Keeper one. The torturer would hit the poor guy in the groin with two hammers until he caved. :eek:

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-01-2008, 19:33
I have a pair from Shinobido: Way of the Ninja. It's not a well known game, but it's sort of a stealth fighting RPG, in a way.

Anyway, in the game you can do stealth kills, which are like mini-cutscenes where you kill your opponent quickly in one blow with no fight.

There are a variety of stealth kills, ranging from the normal throat-cutting to the weird strangling a guy with your leg whilst hanging off a ledge. My first 'ouch' moment is the stealth kill you do when standing in shallow water.

You grab your opponent's head and shove them down into the water, they struggle and try and gasp for air but you keep their head pushed down and eventually they drown.

It's especcially great when you do it to an innocent geisha who just happened to be suspiciously standing under a bridge.

My second 'ouch' moment is in a cutscene near the end, when Zaji, a fellow ninja, is killed. First Kabuto, the massive heavily-armoured penultimate boss shoves his sword through Zaji's stomach. He then flicks his sword and Zaji's body flies through the air a good twenty feet when he is impaled through the stomach by a broken beam.

It always seemed excessively brutal.

There are other moments I could count, but a red-haired shirtless ninja with a metal extendo-arm being drowned by a water wheel is just too funny to be an 'ouch' moment.

Stormtrooper Clark
08-01-2008, 21:30
Dead Rising: Some of the Survivor deaths are preety grusome.

Punisher: Woodchipper + Bad guy = Ouch.

Nephilim of Sin
09-01-2008, 06:51
Playing some game for 2 days straight and then having one of your parents turn the thing off and you avent saved at all during the whole time.

Technically not "in" a game but certainly a bigger ouch moment due to how real it actually is.

Reminds me of the time I almost beat Mega Man III. I hadn't written down any of the passwords, since I was on a roll and had plenty of lives. Then my dad sneaks in and "Bam". Before I got the chance to explain, it was all over...

On another "not necessarily in game mode", I remember one from Starcraft. My opponent had his entire upgraded Zerg air fleet (all his men resources except for drones) strategically placed outside my base. I was Terran. I scouted thanks to some ghosts, and sent in a "dummy" ghost to his base, while the other went to his forces. As the 'nuclear strike detected' was echoed, he killed my dummy ghost, while his Overlords with his strike force only managed to see the real threat as the nuke headed down towards them. Then he quit the game....:evilgrin:

The only other time was when I had twelve nukes launching at once on an enemy base....they all hit.

god octo
09-01-2008, 16:18
The very first Tomb Raider (PC). When I discovered you could also 'dive' when jumping off stuff.

Needless to say, Lara fell head first onto the rocky ground, resulting in a sickening cracking sound and death.

Ah, i remember that. Much fun was had making her dive and do somersaults in the air before crunching to the ground.

Does anyone remember the triple scream jump on the last level? Lara could belt out 3 whole screams before breaking her face on molten lava. That was always painful looking.

mistformsquirrel
09-01-2008, 17:02
Also all the death animations in dawn of war. not a few but all of them :p

Major agreement there <,< That's what makes the game SO good though; its absolutely brutal; just like a 40k game aught to be!

(My favorite though has to be the Dreadnought picking up and hucking a poor infantry model... just plain ouch!)

Another one is thanks to my recent acquisition of BF2142... There's just something incredibly brutally painful about launching a rocket right into the drivers seat of a moving jeep. I mean not only did you blow up the jeep.. you shoot a rocket through the poor sap driving it <,<

Dark Seraphs
09-01-2008, 17:14
In Crysis when you put up your cloak field, sneak up to a Soldier, grab him by the throat, makr yourself visible, you know that guy is going to feel pain and its so evil! :p

warboss48
09-01-2008, 20:23
Pretty much anything Kratos does to his enemies in God of War, especially the bosses.

Melchor
09-01-2008, 20:57
Pretty much anything Kratos does to his enemies in God of War, especially the bosses.

QFT!

Ripping out wings and smashing faces has got to hurt right? :evilgrin:

Drogmir
09-01-2008, 21:23
Oh yeah the Chest Body Impaling in Mass Effect wasn't exactly something you could say looked pleasant.

Templar_Victorious
01-02-2008, 09:25
Hevent played so many videogames, more of a computer guy. But in the first Halo, when you shoot someone with a needler or melee them with the very same weapon. The effect must be... stinging.

The pestilent 1
01-02-2008, 11:57
Devouring a soul in NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer, looked like it REALLY hurt.

Not to mention Disintegration, implosion, destruction and basically any of the innumerable "Save or Die" Spells.
Weird especially (You scare them to death with a figment of their greatest fear)

I was eating damn near everyone as I was going for the "Badass" ending, unfortunately, I reforged the damn mask by accident and got the "Selfish" ending instead. Did get a glitch and level up 3 times though.

LordFulgrim
01-02-2008, 15:38
A lot of stuff in the Darkness looks quite painful; the close ranged attacks and the darklings with their weapons are just evil.

Zerstoren
01-02-2008, 16:19
I have Two from Assasins Creed.

With a percentage that high, you dont realise there is one point that does NOT have the hay waiting for you to ever so gracefully leap in.

That point is the Highest point of the Christain Cross at the very top of the spire at the Cathedral in the city of Acre.

There is actually one there, but it's not right near the cross. You have to move around somewhat. If I recall correctly, you have to climb down a bit and go off to one side, JFYI ;) I almost lept into the air randomly on that one. As a side note, I had amazing troubles in the Rich District of Damascus with all the moat (I think that's where it is).

As "Owch" moments go, I'm going to have to say impailing the Hydra through the eyes with the mast of the ship in God of War.

Also, ramming the master sword through Ganondorf's forehead in LoZ: Wind Waker. And then he turns to stone. Yep. Also, Ganondorf's neck snapping at the end of LoZ:TP

Any death related to the Cerebral Bore in Turok.

Echoing others, killing Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was verily an "owch" moment.

In Manhunt I, Piggsy was one gigantic "owch" moment.

Soulless Enigma
01-02-2008, 16:34
Someone mentioned some stuff from Spartan: Total Warrior, but missed the worst bits out!

Using the hammer on hordes of enemies: the amount of skulls you cave in is unhealthy. Oh, a whole Roman detachment? I'll just use the God Power that let's me make a localized earthquake. I got +400 kills once from using that. Also, squishing people on the floor with it. Ouch.

Using the twin swords, radial rage attack. You must decapitate about twelve guys in under two seconds. Nothin' on the hammer though.

Some of the stuff in the Witcher is pretty nasty. Half-decapitating people, then watching them fall from battlements onto the ground below with a crunch, blood spraying all over the place. Nasty.

Age of Mythology: The Titans. When a single unit is on the receiving end of a Titan's special. That's got to hurt.

SwordsofChaos
01-02-2008, 17:33
I have always thought getting your brain blown out by a 50. cal sniper rifle in CoD4 would hurt, alot, but then I realised you probably donīt have time to feel anything (im listening to master exploder right now :evilgrin: ).

So, im going to have to say, getting impaled by Berial (or whatever) in the DMC 4 demo, nasty stuff. If you havent seen it, Berial is a huge flaming demon, similar to Mannoroth in WCIII, with a huge sword. He does a nasty attack where he slams it into the ground, and if you get in the way, splat.

Soulless Enigma
01-02-2008, 18:18
So, im going to have to say, getting impaled by Berial (or whatever) in the DMC 4 demo, nasty stuff. If you havent seen it, Berial is a huge flaming demon, similar to Mannoroth in WCIII, with a huge sword. He does a nasty attack where he slams it into the ground, and if you get in the way, splat.

Like Mannoroth y'say? That would hurt.

warboss48
01-02-2008, 20:07
I've got a video of a Halo 3 Speed Zombie match. The last man standing gets swarmed by six zombies at the same time, and three of them hit him at practically the same time. That looked really painful.

ArtificerArmour
01-02-2008, 21:35
When Ares impales Kratos in God of War. You spent like hours in this huge puzzle, you finish it, then you get impaled with a spear thrown by a god. :mad:

Although Kratos is brutal to everyone he meets. Especially Perseus.

sanctusmortis
01-02-2008, 22:06
I concur with Ryan in Bioshock. I honestly thought it was gruesomely OTT.

Soulless Enigma
01-02-2008, 22:26
The Avatar's finishers on Dawn of War. Impaling infantry, letting them slide agonizingly slowly down the Wailing Doom, the flinging them off into the distance. That'd be sore.

Some of the speedkills from Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones were pretty nasty too. Taking both the Klompa's eyes out, or just generally ripping straight down someone's spinal cord, or even ripping their heads off with the daggertail - not nice.

Hicks
01-02-2008, 23:51
Being shot by Cable's, B.B. Hood's and Iron Man's shooting super combos in MvsC2 all at the same time.

Basically Cable pulls out a huge gun that shoots lightning, while Iron Man beams you with the hugest lascanon ever and B.B.Hood shoots with a uzi as she summons immense versions of Smith and Wesson whose guns shoot bombs. Anyone cought by this is immediatly desintegrated.