PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment events GW new blood?

kairous
07-01-2008, 19:18
Thought this was the right place for this, so bare with me.

I know we all moan about GW from time to time, and someone always manages to find a fault, but how boring would the world be, if we didn't have anything to moan about, it would be too perfect.
I too moan from time to time, the new prices/increases posted recently made me feel quite sour:(, but i got over it, we have to remember that GW is still held as the worlds largest and most successful tabletop battle game, am i right, now mini speech aside:D(yes cheers all around):Dlets move onto the main event.

I was wandering if GW are after new blood this year, either that or they are hoping to open more shops?, as they are holding alot of recruitments this year, and i have heard that many shops are taking on more part time staff, and employing more people?

We are looking for Sales Assistants (full and part time) to work in the Midlands Territory specifically in the following stores:Burton, Derby, Leicester, Lincoln, Loughborough, Meadowhall, Nottingham, Sheffield, Stoke and Warhammer World.
The recruitment events are being be held at the Warhammer World Store on the followig dates through out 2008:
25 January
29 February
14 March
25 April
23 May
27 June
11 July
26 September
17 October
28 November
12 December
http://uk.games-workshop.com/careers/availablejobs/
thats the link for the page.

So i was wandering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I also have a personal request, im considering working for GW when i finish college in about 4-5 months, maybe not forever but for a couple of years perhaps, perhaps help me decide what i wanna do with my life and all, so i was wandering if any of you dudes have been to a recruitment event or worked for the company, just so that i have some outside info on it.
Any help with this would be awesome.

P.S. i shall try not to speech too much in the future:evilgrin:

blongbling
07-01-2008, 20:39
GW is always recruiting. It CAN be a good career, you dont need to be a suck ass to get on. Have realistic expectations when you work there and you wont be disappointed. You will need to improve on your English though as it is a little bit bad at the moment.

kairous
07-01-2008, 21:57
You will need to improve on your English though as it is a little bit bad at the moment.

really? why what was wrong with my post spelling wise.

GW is always recruiting. It CAN be a good career, you dont need to be a suck ass to get on. Have realistic expectations when you work there and you wont be disappointed.

Also thanks for the input dude.

SV_Harlequin
07-01-2008, 22:09
What's wrong with his English it seems from the short piece you wrote it's atleast better than yours.

Ward.
07-01-2008, 22:21
P.S. i shall try not to speech too much in the future:evilgrin:

I think the "speech" part may have been the sentence flaw, or he misinterpretated what you meant by it.

My advice is to hold off on some of your purchases if you do manage to get the job until your employee discount kicks in.

silence
07-01-2008, 22:39
GL if its what you want to do, there are worse jobs around. Never been to a recruitment event but did once interview at a local GW store.

Misfratz
07-01-2008, 22:49
I interviewed once for GW, one question that came up that I didn't have a good answer to was:

"What was the most embarrassing event of your life?"

Suffice it to say that they ended up most interested in the applicant who gave the best answer to that question - it was a group interview of three of us.

Also, and this is probably why that question was quite important, for store staff the number one important quality you would need to demonstrate is how well you are going to be at interacting with complete strangers and maintaining enthusiasm. That's what they'll be looking for, I would have thought.

Templar Ben
07-01-2008, 23:44
If you are getting a degree why are you thinking about a retail job?

blongbling
08-01-2008, 07:38
really? why what was wrong with my post spelling wise.
Also thanks for the input dude.

ok, spelling 101

bare with me should be bear with me

am i right, should be am i right?

I was wandering should be i was wondering

I was wandering if GW are after new blood this year, either that or they are hoping to open more shops?, as they are holding alot of recruitments this year, and i have heard that many shops are taking on more part time staff, and employing more people? = bad sentence structure, and incorrect use of punctuation

So i was wandering should be wondering again

then there is more incorrect sentence structure and multiple use of the word perhaps in your last sentence.
P.S. i shall try not to speech too much in the future = should have speak instead of speech or the sentence is wrong. the sentence isnt very well written though tbh.

so there we go......(as you asked) :)

blongbling
08-01-2008, 07:41
What's wrong with his English it seems from the short piece you wrote it's atleast better than yours.

in what way? incorrect use of punctuation? incorrect spelling?

btw "its at least better then yours" isnt the best sentence form :P

Jedi152
08-01-2008, 07:52
I'm still tempted to apply for sunday work at Warhammer World (or Nottingham or Derby) purely for discount, and to make some friends in the hobby. They're advertising all over the midlands.

Sadly i don't play LOTR or 40k, so that's a lot to learn before i even apply ...

I interviewed once for GW, one question that came up that I didn't have a good answer to was:

"What was the most embarrassing event of your life?"

Suffice it to say that they ended up most interested in the applicant who gave the best answer to that question - it was a group interview of three of us.

Also, and this is probably why that question was quite important, for store staff the number one important quality you would need to demonstrate is how well you are going to be at interacting with complete strangers and maintaining enthusiasm. That's what they'll be looking for, I would have thought.
So what was your most embarrassing moment? :p

You can totally understand why they care more about your social skills than your official qualifications. It's hardly rocket science.

Send/Recv
08-01-2008, 15:44
Hi

I used to work for Gw......really worth working for if you are after a casual job as oppossed to a career.
It does have its drawbacks Stock checks being the obvious.....and believe it or not bitter customers who think that GW soldout etc ( if you have ever watched Black Books.... there is an episode that can sum some customers up. It is the one where Manny has to go an sell a book to a customer and gets blasted for approaching the person)

The benefits are really good and outwiegh the negitives.
Excellent discount, you get to meet lots of great people (both staff and customers)....access to the "bits box" (might not sound like much....but can come in handy). There are more but i cant think of them atm.

In terms of the recruitment event there are a number of things that will help you out.
1) Be outgoing...but not wacky. Try and engage both other applicants and staff at the recruitment.
2) Take models to show off that are a starting point of a Conversation. An example could be to take a BFG ship and talk about how you enjoy the game but would love to run a 40k campaign which involves BFG games etc.
3) Be enthusiastic....sounds obvious but you would be surprised.
4) Dont use jargon......Something they really dislike and is harder than you would think not to use.
5) Try and be positive about GW.....again sounds obvious...but it is so easy to mention prices etc.
6) Have fun
7) show that you enjoy all aspects of the hobby...even if you painting standard isnt that good.
8) be discriptive and use imagery from the background ( shows knowledge etc) The old favorite is describe a Space Marine to a 12 Y/O. DONT USE STATS if you get asked this as it is very easy sound boring

Hope that helps.

Any Q's Just ask

spaint2k
08-01-2008, 16:54
ok, spelling 101
I was wandering if GW are after new blood this year, either that or they are hoping to open more shops?, as they are holding alot of recruitments this year, and i have heard that many shops are taking on more part time staff, and employing more people? = bad sentence structure, and incorrect use of punctuation
<SNIP>
(as you asked) :)

"A lot" is two words.

Steve

kairous
08-01-2008, 17:00
If you are getting a degree why are you thinking about a retail job?

not a degree, just A-levels, technically then im not at college, im at a sxith form, but, it is a type of college, right?

Thanks for the info guys, i shall try and think of some specific questions to ask.

Heres one, how does one go about getting into something like the design studio, is there a separate place you go to, to apply, or can you get there by working through the company?
If i could choose exactly which bit i went into i would love to go into the games development side, you know, design the rules and rulebooks, creating units, etc.

Im also happily surprised that people were so supportive on the subject, i would have thought that a lot of people would have called me mad for wanting to work for GW, as it seems, i was pleasantly surprised.

Keep the responses coming guys, i look forward to hearing what you have to say.

The Ape
09-01-2008, 07:42
Part-time is definitely better than full-time. Only work full-time if you want to lose your love of all things GW. Seriously.

Part-time (or key-time when I worked for GW) is great - you get the (not-as-good-anymore) discount, a bit of extra cash, you get to meet new people AND you get to have a job that pays well during the week.

Jedi152 - just do it. As long as you show willing to learn the rules that's the most important thing. Is the manager at WW still ginger Chris? It's been a while since I worked there... He was/is a good manager.

Jedi152
09-01-2008, 07:46
Yep it's still Chris - i chat to him if he gets a free minute any saturday we're in. He's a good lad. Did you used to work there or were you just a regular?

I relish the idea of being able to spend one day in seven doing my hobby, which i rarely get time to do now, and spend time chatting to like minded individuals.

blongbling
09-01-2008, 07:59
if you want to end up working in the studio you cna apply direct but you would need to already be producing rule systems, etc they dont just employ people who "want" to work there.

Joining retail will get you into the company and make the process easier but the above still applies

Osbad
09-01-2008, 10:30
Im also happily surprised that people were so supportive on the subject, i would have thought that a lot of people would have called me mad for wanting to work for GW, as it seems, i was pleasantly surprised.

Don't be, It's a job. Most jobs have their crap bits, otherwise you wouldn't get paid! While working for GW wouldn't appeal to some (me included), I think we can all understand why it would appeal to those in the right position to enjoy the good elements on offer, while not being put off by the less enjoyable elements!

The mistake (never having been a GW employee, but having seen many good and bad come and go over the eyars) is that some come to the table expecting working for GW to be just an extension of the hobby instead of real work. Partly that's because they don't have much experience of real work before hand, partly its just because they have rose tinted glasses on.

Sure GW occasionally indulge in practices that cheese off their staff, but so do most companies. Whether that makes GW a better or worse employer than any other depends on what you want out of the job really.

I've heard many stories about employees being frustrated because "management doesn't listen" and "the babysitting is a right royal pain in the butt". But equally I've heard stories about how its good to be able to get paid for painting your own army, and buy stuff at staff discount.

As long as you go into it with realistic expectations and don't mind putting up with the hard bits of the job, there's no reason why a job in GW retail should be any worse than a job anywhere else in retail. Put it this way, if I were 16 again I'd rather have staff discount on a tabletop army than on hamburgers!

The Ape
09-01-2008, 11:37
Yep it's still Chris - i chat to him if he gets a free minute any saturday we're in. He's a good lad. Did you used to work there or were you just a regular?

I relish the idea of being able to spend one day in seven doing my hobby, which i rarely get time to do now, and spend time chatting to like minded individuals.

I was a key-timer there in the Summer of 2005, as well as at Leicester and occasionally Loughboro'. That was when Duncan was also a manager there (one-legged chap in wheelchair).

Go for it - part-time is very rewarding. I would work part-time now if I could as my current job means I have little time for the hobby, and I don't know many people outside of work where I live.

Jedi152
09-01-2008, 12:16
Summer 2005 eh? There's a good chance we've met before. I can't say a one legged manager rings a bell (only been to Loughborough store once or twice when i was at uni). Pretty unrelated, but WW has a staffer there now who has a prosthetic arm (which of course i totally failed to notice, tactless sod i am). Can't remember his name but he's a good lad.

I had an application form somewhere. i'll ask for another.

kairous
09-01-2008, 13:24
Don't be, It's a job. Most jobs have their crap bits, otherwise you wouldn't get paid! While working for GW wouldn't appeal to some (me included), I think we can all understand why it would appeal to those in the right position to enjoy the good elements on offer, while not being put off by the less enjoyable elements!

The mistake (never having been a GW employee, but having seen many good and bad come and go over the eyars) is that some come to the table expecting working for GW to be just an extension of the hobby instead of real work. Partly that's because they don't have much experience of real work before hand, partly its just because they have rose tinted glasses on.

Sure GW occasionally indulge in practices that cheese off their staff, but so do most companies. Whether that makes GW a better or worse employer than any other depends on what you want out of the job really.

I've heard many stories about employees being frustrated because "management doesn't listen" and "the babysitting is a right royal pain in the butt". But equally I've heard stories about how its good to be able to get paid for painting your own army, and buy stuff at staff discount.

As long as you go into it with realistic expectations and don't mind putting up with the hard bits of the job, there's no reason why a job in GW retail should be any worse than a job anywhere else in retail. Put it this way, if I were 16 again I'd rather have staff discount on a tabletop army than on hamburgers!

Well my current job is very mundane and boring, i move furniture and clean up the store on weekends, but at the end of the day its a job, it pays, and its not hard.
So the boring things that my local store is always moaning about, e.g. hoovering, cleaning cabinet, etc, don't really bother me, as im sort of doing that sort of stuff already.
I guess that means i already have realistic expectations of the job, as with any jobs, it has its highs and lows, this one however, in my opinion, has more of the former than the latter, based on what i have heard and been told.

if you want to end up working in the studio you cna apply direct but you would need to already be producing rule systems, etc they dont just employ people who "want" to work there.

Joining retail will get you into the company and make the process easier but the above still applies

how do you apply to that area? i can't find anywhere on the site where you can send off or ask aout info for this.

When you say producing rule systems, do you mean make up rules and background, etc, myself, like in a book or computer document?

Hi

I used to work for Gw......really worth working for if you are after a casual job as oppossed to a career.
It does have its drawbacks Stock checks being the obvious.....and believe it or not bitter customers who think that GW soldout etc ( if you have ever watched Black Books.... there is an episode that can sum some customers up. It is the one where Manny has to go an sell a book to a customer and gets blasted for approaching the person)

The benefits are really good and outwiegh the negitives.
Excellent discount, you get to meet lots of great people (both staff and customers)....access to the "bits box" (might not sound like much....but can come in handy). There are more but i cant think of them atm.

In terms of the recruitment event there are a number of things that will help you out.
1) Be outgoing...but not wacky. Try and engage both other applicants and staff at the recruitment.
2) Take models to show off that are a starting point of a Conversation. An example could be to take a BFG ship and talk about how you enjoy the game but would love to run a 40k campaign which involves BFG games etc.
3) Be enthusiastic....sounds obvious but you would be surprised.
4) Dont use jargon......Something they really dislike and is harder than you would think not to use.
5) Try and be positive about GW.....again sounds obvious...but it is so easy to mention prices etc.
6) Have fun
7) show that you enjoy all aspects of the hobby...even if you painting standard isnt that good.
8) be discriptive and use imagery from the background ( shows knowledge etc) The old favorite is describe a Space Marine to a 12 Y/O. DONT USE STATS if you get asked this as it is very easy sound boring

Hope that helps.

Any Q's Just ask

Thanks for the headup/info dude, i have made a note of the things you have said.

Part-time is definitely better than full-time. Only work full-time if you want to lose your love of all things GW. Seriously.

Part-time (or key-time when I worked for GW) is great - you get the (not-as-good-anymore) discount, a bit of extra cash, you get to meet new people AND you get to have a job that pays well during the week.

im guessing full time is bad due to the hours and increased responsibilitys?

Realistically though, how good are the chances of getting a job oppurtunity, within the company/retail, or is it one of those things where if you can't travel to the place they send you, then you have to wait for a closer one?

As you can see i have replied much to people, im a very curious person at heart, i like to try and have as much info about something as possible, sometimes it can be annoying, i apologise now, if im already annoying you.

Stuart-GreatEscapeGames
09-01-2008, 13:39
Part time sounds good for you and it can be a great job. For FT and managers they want you to travel anywhere in the country. Bad side of GW is that they treat their staff like s***.

kairous
09-01-2008, 13:42
Bad side of GW is that they treat their staff like s***.

Really?

I knew about the travelling and the other bits many staff groan about, but they treat they staff badly?

But they always seem quite jolly and cheerful in the shop, what does the company do to them?

blongbling
09-01-2008, 15:37
the best thing to do is to apply and then see what happens from there......you can always say no

kairous
09-01-2008, 16:44
the best thing to do is to apply and then see what happens from there......you can always say no

Yeah you never know to you try, and its not like i have a lot to lose, you can always try try again.

Quick question, did you mean saying no to the travelling?

The Ape
09-01-2008, 16:55
im guessing full time is bad due to the hours and increased responsibilitys?

Not exactly. It's a fairly easy job as jobs go. But it's tedious. A typical day at the Leicester store would be:

Get in to work and sort out till etc, make sure shop is generally ok. Open doors, spend the next two hours polishing/dusting/cleaning windows. Serve the odd customer at lunchtime. Speak to the regulars as they come but being mindful of the fact the manager doesn't actually like you talking to the regulars when you should be working. Have lunch. Serve a few more customers whilst painting whatever the current new release is - usually customers will come in just as you have mixed a specific colour and by the time you have served the customer it will have dried out. Do a box-up of any items sold during the day. Close the shop. Hoover or cash-up. Go home.

Repeat on a daily basis. The only difference being Saturdays where it's all about talking to and serving customers and Sundays where it's kiddy day. Summer holidays are a mix of Saturdays and Sundays.

The pay was poor (it's better than it was) and there was little time to paint own models. If you work in a smaller store it's a bit better although then it's boredom that's a problem. The other downside is after a whole day surrounded by GW the last thing you want to do is go home and paint your own models. Which goes someway to explaining why so many staff members have whole armies of unpainted/constructed models stored away or else get sold on ebay.

@Jedi - we may well have spoken. I didn't work many that shifts there to be honest - about 15 over the whole summer.

kairous
09-01-2008, 17:00
i completely understand you point ape, i can see how that might get really tedious after a while, especially if you don't advance dramatically within the company.
I would say that that wouldn't really bother me, but its always easy to say these things, right, after a while i dare say you might become very sick of the routine.
I would probably do what i do at my current work, and try in some way to make the boring tasks, a bit more entertaining, you know to make the day go by, but again, its all easy to say.
Thanks again for all the info dudes, really helping me get an idea of things.

Send/Recv
09-01-2008, 17:45
In terms of getting into the studio, Anne Clarke is the person you want to speak to. As far as im aware she is studio HR. If it is games dev you want to get into then it is quite tough.......it is the main area everyone wants to work. You dont need to have written any rules to stand a chance.....just need thourgh knowledge of the games systems and the current style of writting. You may have noticed that codexs etc have changed the writting and rules styles that are used....Special Characters are a big example of this.

I wouldn't say that they treat staff badly.....just tend to take a few liberties which are difficult to say no to...unpaid training is one of those such liberties. The managers i worked for were really flexible when i was at college and uni etc...
Full time drains the life out of you with targets that need to be hit, all the unpaid over time (mainly training and store close up although this depends on the store you work in) and also travel. Again i think that i was lucky and never had an unreasonable distance to travel.

kairous
09-01-2008, 19:07
In terms of getting into the studio, Anne Clarke is the person you want to speak to. As far as im aware she is studio HR. If it is games dev you want to get into then it is quite tough.......it is the main area everyone wants to work. You dont need to have written any rules to stand a chance.....just need thourgh knowledge of the games systems and the current style of writting. You may have noticed that codexs etc have changed the writting and rules styles that are used....Special Characters are a big example of this.

I wouldn't say that they treat staff badly.....just tend to take a few liberties which are difficult to say no to...unpaid training is one of those such liberties. The managers i worked for were really flexible when i was at college and uni etc...
Full time drains the life out of you with targets that need to be hit, all the unpaid over time (mainly training and store close up although this depends on the store you work in) and also travel. Again i think that i was lucky and never had an unreasonable distance to travel.

oh ok.
Thanks for the additional input dude, very interesting stuff seems to be surfacing about the company.

kairous
10-01-2008, 07:51
(I have added this to the first post also)

thought i would also post the names of the shops that the recruitment events seem to advertising for:
We are looking for Sales Assistants (full and part time) to work in the Midlands Territory specifically in the following stores:Burton, Derby, Leicester, Lincoln, Loughborough, Meadowhall, Nottingham, Sheffield, Stoke and Warhammer World.

Also i have another question, if you apply for full time and get it, can you downgrade to part time, and similarly if you do part time, how easy is it to go up to full time, if you get what im asking for, and have an answer, i would love to hear it.

Huw_Dawson
10-01-2008, 08:06
Its looking more and more tempting to look to go to university in Nottingham. Part Time GW, Uni life and a discount. Lovely. ;)

Of course, if they're looking for anyone for the Oxford store... :p
- Huw

blongbling
10-01-2008, 08:06
as far as im aware there are no part time places in stores anymore...i might be wrong on that though.

Jedi152
10-01-2008, 08:10
Its looking more and more tempting to look to go to university in Nottingham. Part Time GW, Uni life and a discount. Lovely. ;)
Do it! Come to the city of kings! We have GW, Foundry miniatures, Heresy miniatures, mushy peas, and four girls for every boy .... ;)

as far as im aware there are no part time places in stores anymore...i might be wrong on that though.
I was sure i'd heard that all keytimers were being cut back, but judging by the website they are still hiring full time and part time staff all over the midlands.

Galdur Hrafnsson
10-01-2008, 08:17
Unless it's very recent (or maybe they re-named it key time again?) there's definitely still part time jobs. Knew a few part timers, was one myself until late summer. To move from part to full timer, you need to express an interest to the manager of your store and the cell manager, and be able to bring something to the table. Two of the part timers I worked with at my store became full timers (I didn't want to, I was doing my degree). But at other stores. Usually if they offer you a full-time position at a different store it won't be more than roughly an hour away from where you live, or your current store.

Huw_Dawson
10-01-2008, 08:21
Do it! Come to the city of kings! We have GW, Foundry miniatures, Heresy miniatures, mushy peas, and four girls for every boy .... ;)

Your not helping my indesision! :p

I just wikied (actual word that, like googled) Nottingham Uni, and it is supposed to be one of the top 10 in the country. :o

Nottingham is shaping up to be a really good choice.

- Huw

Jedi152
10-01-2008, 08:25
In order not to divert the thread: If you need advice feel free to discuss it in the University thread i started a while back, or feel free to PM me - i went to, and work at, Nottingham University.

GAWD
10-01-2008, 13:16
It won't matter if they recruit Jesus Christ to sell their models, unless they recruit people w/half a brain to write their games.

Stuart-GreatEscapeGames
10-01-2008, 13:52
Really?

I knew about the travelling and the other bits many staff groan about, but they treat they staff badly?

But they always seem quite jolly and cheerful in the shop, what does the company do to them?

They haven't shafted those particular ones yet!

GW has a reputation for treating its staff badly. Poor pay, forced work with no pay, no union representation, reduced staff benefits, forced contract changes, pay cuts and no loyalty to its workers. GW HO has a very 'face-fits' aura and if you are not the yes-man type then you get marginalised. Some managers use dishonest tactics to get rid of staff they don't like or who are paid good wages.

The majority within GW are good people. However, the bad ones run riot and are led by an ethos of profit first, people last.

blongbling
10-01-2008, 15:59
They haven't shafted those particular ones yet!

GW has a reputation for treating its staff badly. Poor pay, forced work with no pay, no union representation, reduced staff benefits, forced contract changes, pay cuts and no loyalty to its workers. GW HO has a very 'face-fits' aura and if you are not the yes-man type then you get marginalised. Some managers use dishonest tactics to get rid of staff they don't like or who are paid good wages.

The majority within GW are good people. However, the bad ones run riot and are led by an ethos of profit first, people last.

sounds like someone is bitter????

kairous
10-01-2008, 18:25
It seems i have sparked quite the debate, and in the process, arrayed a vast quantity of info about GW.
It seems a couple of others are also interested in getting into the company:D, others are leeting out their anguish/annoyance:mad:, and other people are just giving opinions or info:eek:, I love it, you guys are awesome.

Anyone know if we are likely to see anymore job opportunities arising this year, maybe GW trying to spread itself further this year, trying to get more people into the company, maybe aiming more at the younger generation?

thanks again for all the info guys, loving the responses, very varied, look forward to reading more.:D

Stuart-GreatEscapeGames
10-01-2008, 21:56
sounds like someone is bitter????

Not nearly as bitter as the poor staff that are losing their jobs due to incompetent leadership of the company and unethical management practices! Nearly everyone I know that used to work for GW got shafted by them.

captain_bas
10-01-2008, 22:31
My only advice is that you have to be pretty sanguine about these things.

Retail is retail, which is to say that 99% of the time you're going to be doing much the same thing as you would at Currys or Burtons (well, except you're selling core games, paint sets and additional sales instead of dodgy coverage policies). You're not going to be part of 'the loop' in Games Workshop, you're not going to get to spend much time doing 'your hobby' during work, and you're ultimately going to be a cog in a machine.

It's an experience, for sure, but there are only three ways in which you'd want to build a career at GW.

One is if you want to go career, and join retail management (and ultimately corporate management). This is pretty easy if you've got half a brain on you... work full time in retail for six months to a year, and if you're any good you'll get put on the 'Squad Leader' course and you'll be a manager inside of a few months after starting the program. If you're extra-good you could make regional manager and proceed to executive positions, but you will more likely be results-minded or a money man to do this, and no one will care how much you know about the games or figures provided you can work a spreadsheet and motivate and manage your staff properly.

Secondly, you could try to get a creative job (e.g. the studio), or some other type of job in GW (such as production tooling, manufacturing, HR, accounting, legal, or some other back-office role), but then again if you try to do this working in retail won't mean jack since all these jobs are advertised externally and you'll just have to chance your arm against all-comers at interview.

Thirdly, if you actually want to work in retail for the rest of your life... which is, sadly, what a lot of retail guys end up doing. They join the company either because they love the idea of a low-responsibility-low-pay job involving citadel miniatures, or because they think it's a step on the ladder towards the design studio.
Let me be honest - it isn't. If you want to work in the studio, the best thing you can do is spend all your possible time excelling at what it is you want to do - sculpting, painting, art, or games design (which basically means literacy, writing ability and a highly creative personality). Working in retail won't help you at all in pursuit of this goal.

Anyway, let me finish by saying that there is an element of internal promotion within the company, but unless you're drinking mates with the guy interviewing you, you won't get the positions unless you're *********** outstanding.

Having said that... part time is, by all accounts, a good way for students and the like to get that discount and get some pay, as well as getting retail work experience and developing people skills (which I would view as the major benefit of working in retail), but don't expect to make anything out of it at GW unless you want to take one of the three paths shown above.

Enjoy it for a time, and if you decide on what you want to do, follow it up with conviction. Just don't drift into retail full-time and end up there in five years time without any idea of what you want to do with yourself. It's really tragic to see people doing that.

CB.

kairous
11-01-2008, 13:18
well, the sad thing is, i don't really know what i want to do with my life after i finish college, theres just nothing at the moment that really appeals to me, i think i should travel or something, but i just don't really know, probably why im really thinking of doing GW for a couple of years, might help me along you know.
I might email the anne clarke lady, and ask about getting into the games development side.
Thanks for the continued input guys.

Spong
11-01-2008, 16:53
I'm a bit of a creative type and I've tried sending letters and emails to various GW depts. including Games Design and I keep getting standard response of 'we currently have no vacancies'. I was going to go in at shop level and work my way up but after reading some of the stuff on this thread I don't think I'll bother. I'm in the same boat of not knowing what I want to do with my life and being a bit of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none with creative, wordy and imaginative tendancies and occasional delusions of grandeur - i'm usually off in some other universe designing worlds of one type or another. I finished my archaeology degree a year ago but decided I didn't want to pursue that as a career.

kairous
11-01-2008, 17:07
I'm a bit of a creative type and I've tried sending letters and emails to various GW depts. including Games Design and I keep getting standard response of 'we currently have no vacancies'. I was going to go in at shop level and work my way up but after reading some of the stuff on this thread I don't think I'll bother. I'm in the same boat of not knowing what I want to do with my life and being a bit of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none with creative, wordy and imaginative tendancies and occasional delusions of grandeur - i'm usually off in some other universe designing worlds of one type or another. I finished my archaeology degree a year ago but decided I didn't want to pursue that as a career.

Bar the archaeology bit, im pretty much exactly the same as you buddy, big emphasis on the delusions of grandeur, lol.

Also like you my decision has evolved abit, since i orignally started this thread, based on the information that has surfaced, but i believe it all helps, rather have this info now before i/we commit ourselves, right?

Templar Ben
11-01-2008, 23:19
You could always join the Royal Marines.

MoopMoop
12-01-2008, 10:20
Are the salaries in GW retail (i.e the store clerks) competitive to any degree or is it rubbish? Because the pay at the other side of the company is dismal.

Some years ago I was interviewed by GW and got offered a place as junior controller at their HQ. The staff discount didn't weigh up for the dismal pay by a long shot. A starting salary at ~17000/year is less than half of the packages offered by other companies in the sector, and less than a third compared to what the financial institutions pay. You'd have to buy pretty darn much stuff on discount to make up for that.

blongbling
12-01-2008, 10:51
junior controller?

MoopMoop
12-01-2008, 10:59
junior controller?

Mhm, sometimes called a comptroller. Its basically a junior management position for people who want to be a CFO-in-waiting. I would have taken the opportunity if the pay was anywere near decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptroller

Spong
12-01-2008, 13:31
I'd be happy on that salary working for GW but maths is something of an Achilles heel for me and of course it wouldn't allow me to be as creative as I'd like (in the traditional sense, no offense to all you financial types out there :D)

Templar Ben
12-01-2008, 16:00
You would be surprised how creative you can get in finance. I have seen quite a bit in tax accounting. ;)

I am curious how GW gets positions filled for accountants and the like when they pay so little.

Everett
13-01-2008, 17:06
Get a trade or go to Uni. You will end up in a much more financially comfortable position in 5-7 years from now. That way you'll have more disposable income to spend on whatever hobbies you have then, whether it be GW related or otherwise.

If you really must get a job with GW, don't stick around too long.

kairous
14-01-2008, 07:51
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:wtf:

I go away for a day or two and the post count doubles,(saturday i went to pick up me ork codex, funsies, and sunday i was at work all day moving furniture and sweeping/cleaning much lol.

Anyway i agree with you spong, that salary doesn't bother me too much, although i have no idea roughly what the GW for any part of the company is like, and if its a starting job, which doesn't require a huge amount of pre-obtained qualifications, i don't think that 17,000 a year is that bad starting.

UMMMMM.

I don't really want to to go UNI, not now anyway, i would rather pay my own way through it, than have to rely on the GOV.
Getting a trade would be easier, but, like so many who leave college to go into work (im generalising you see) i don't really know what i want to do, so that makes finding a trade that more difficult, i was considering going off and getting HGV, but i might give that a couple of years before commit myself to it.

For the moment, im still quite content on trying out part/full time retail, unless im lucky enough to do something else in the company.

Thanks for the replies guys.:D

PS. KEEP THEM COMING HEHE:D

MoopMoop
14-01-2008, 11:44
You would be surprised how creative you can get in finance. I have seen quite a bit in tax accounting. ;)

I am curious how GW gets positions filled for accountants and the like when they pay so little.

Actually, accountants aren't that well paid to begin with, that goes especially for internal accountants (Those hired by the company itself to do the.. well, accounting). Those working at an audit firm (i.e big4; PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Deloitte and Ernst&Young) have it slightly better. And yer... that's not exactly finance. If you wanna know how being in real finance is like, watch American Psycho and remove half of the crazy (the murder part).

Those in the GW corporate structure that are most underpaid in relation to normal salaries in their respective areas have to be the store managers. According to GWs career homepage the starting salary for those commence at a 13.000/year. That's just plain pathetic for a full-time job with certain responsibility.

kairous
14-01-2008, 16:58
trainee manager position anyone?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/careers/availablejobs/default.aspx?job=116

my question is though, could you go straight for this position, or is it an already in the company job oppurtunity?

Templar Ben
14-01-2008, 23:27
Actually, accountants aren't that well paid to begin with, that goes especially for internal accountants (Those hired by the company itself to do the.. well, accounting). Those working at an audit firm (i.e big4; PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Deloitte and Ernst&Young) have it slightly better. And yer... that's not exactly finance. If you wanna know how being in real finance is like, watch American Psycho and remove half of the crazy (the murder part).

Those in the GW corporate structure that are most underpaid in relation to normal salaries in their respective areas have to be the store managers. According to GWs career homepage the starting salary for those commence at a 13.000/year. That's just plain pathetic for a full-time job with certain responsibility.

Here big 4 accountants in the South East US start at $45K. It varies by region due to cost of living. After about 2 years the pay goes up but that is also the point when most leave to go into something less as that is when in most juristictions (it varies somewhat by State) you are eligiable to be a CPA. Accounting falls under finance at every firm I have worked in. Finance makes the decisions, accountants record them. I will agree that accounting, finance and economics are each different with different goals. When I worked in finance my life wasn't like American Psycho but then again I wasn't in New York. :p

Jedi152
15-01-2008, 06:50
trainee manager position anyone?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/careers/availablejobs/default.aspx?job=116

my question is though, could you go straight for this position, or is it an already in the company job oppurtunity?
Open to anyone but i suspect you'll find it a lot easier if you're already a staff member.

I like the way the closing date isn't for 12 months!

Ex-Blueshirt
15-01-2008, 16:37
I was a GW employee for twelve months. For the first 4 of those months it was THE best job i have ever had before or since.
However. As with any job it all depends on the people you'll be working with and your manager as to how much you enjoy your job. As you will be relying on these people to lift you up when your being swarmed by kids on a busy day. As my ex-manager described the job. "It's being a Blue Peter presenter, a childminder, a social worker, a salesman and a security guard for a lot less money than any of those jobs, let alone combinations of them all."
My advice is if you want to work for GW answer these questions. If you answer yes to most of them, good on you, you and GW should get along fine.

1)Can you live on a wage bareley above the minimum wage?
2)Do you LOVE the hobby? As you are going to be justifying it lot.
3)Will you ever tire of uttering the words: Space Marines hit on three's? (This is the most imporant onr to answer.)
4)Can you entertain a large group of ten year olds for three hours?
5)Are you willing to give your heart, body and soul to the job just for the satisfaction of doing your job well.

It's a good job, as long as your willing to give it your all. I wasn't.

kairous
15-01-2008, 19:08
1)Can you live on a wage bareley above the minimum wage?
2)Do you LOVE the hobby? As you are going to be justifying it lot.
3)Will you ever tire of uttering the words: Space Marines hit on three's? (This is the most imporant onr to answer.)
4)Can you entertain a large group of ten year olds for three hours?
5)Are you willing to give your heart, body and soul to the job just for the satisfaction of doing your job well.

ooooooooooooooh, im afraid im abit of a money grabber, so if the pay is as bad as it sounds from a lot of you guys that i might put me off doing it.
yeah i think i love it enough, im more than happy to spend hours sifting over WD, codex's etc, just to find that little thing that i didn't know before.
not really, as it is i need to really get on top shape with my rules anyway, i might find that really useful.
i have a 2 year old sister that my parents will occasionally ask me to look after and keep entertained, not for long intervals, but about half a dozen small ones.
I think that if you commit yourself to your job, it can more enjoyable, and even very rewarding, working for a furniture and stone company for about 1 1/2 years, i have learnt a lot of things, including how to make dull things entertaining.

Well, how did i do, i shall up date my answers later, as i would like to right abit more, but i had a 2 1/2 IT exam today, and i have just run a nice warm bath:D
From the looks of it though, it seems money may be the only realy problem:confused::cries:

Ex-Blueshirt
15-01-2008, 19:39
Then go forth and apply. And be the best damn GW staffer you can.

kairous
15-01-2008, 19:45
:Dthanks man, really appreciate it:D

I have some more question for you all though, perhaps you might know the answers ex-blueshirt.

1. whats the pay really like then for a full timer, i mean, i have known a fair few full time staffers that have wives and kids, so, families to support, now unless the wife earns oodles, surely the husband would have to quit GW and go work elsewhere to provide right?

2.what are the hours/shift patterns like, is overtime an option? and what are they like when it comes to time off and things like that, example, if wanted to take GD off so i could go to it, are they going to let me have it, if i give them enough warning.

3. what are the benefits like, i know the site has a couple of pages on them, but i just wanted to see what someone who has had experiance with them thinks.

ummm, can't think of anymore at the mo, but, i will either update or continue to post if i think of more.

oh, one more thing, my college is making me do this work questionaire as i believe im the only one in the whole last year that isn't going to UNI, anyway one of the questions is "are there any jobs you are interested in currently or are thinking of applying for", should i put GW down in the hope that they might give me time off to go to a recruitment event.
On that note do you have to be 18 to go to a recruitment event, or can you go like 1 month before your 18th, like you can if you pick up an application.

Cheers guys, for any, and all answers you might have.

Ex-Blueshirt
15-01-2008, 20:10
:Dthanks man, really appreciate it:D

I have some more question for you all though, perhaps you might know the answers ex-blueshirt.

1. whats the pay really like then for a full timer, i mean, i have known a fair few full time staffers that have wives and kids, so, families to support, now unless the wife earns oodles, surely the husband would have to quit GW and go work elsewhere to provide right?

2.what are the hours/shift patterns like, is overtime an option? and what are they like when it comes to time off and things like that, example, if wanted to take GD off so i could go to it, are they going to let me have it, if i give them enough warning.

3. what are the benefits like, i know the site has a couple of pages on them, but i just wanted to see what someone who has had experiance with them thinks.

ummm, can't think of anymore at the mo, but, i will either update or continue to post if i think of more.

oh, one more thing, my college is making me do this work questionaire as i believe im the only one in the whole last year that isn't going to UNI, anyway one of the questions is "are there any jobs you are interested in currently or are thinking of applying for", should i put GW down in the hope that they might give me time off to go to a recruitment event.
On that note do you have to be 18 to go to a recruitment event, or can you go like 1 month before your 18th, like you can if you pick up an application.

Cheers guys, for any, and all answers you might have.

1) Sadly i have known this to be the case yes. Generally speaking a GW employees income is supplemented by a partner with a higher wage.
(i know it's a generalisation, but it was true for me and my colleages in the store i was in, Cribbs Causeway in Bristol.)

2)Overtime? Oh yes. All unpaid. Generally you will do half an hours overtime at the end of every day cleaning the store and cashing up. This will get quicker as you learn. Shifts, if you are in a high street store it will be 10-6 or 2-10 on the games nights. As for Games Day, no way you will be contracted to work it. All staff are.

3)The main thing you should know about is your holiday rights. You are not allowed to take holidays during any school holidays/half term. Thats right no summer hols. As for the other benefits 50% discount is sweet. I've heard the pension is fairly good but there my personal experience ends.

With regards to your last question no idea mate sorry.

kairous
15-01-2008, 20:57
1) Sadly i have known this to be the case yes. Generally speaking a GW employees income is supplemented by a partner with a higher wage.
(i know it's a generalisation, but it was true for me and my colleages in the store i was in, Cribbs Causeway in Bristol.)

2)Overtime? Oh yes. All unpaid. Generally you will do half an hours overtime at the end of every day cleaning the store and cashing up. This will get quicker as you learn. Shifts, if you are in a high street store it will be 10-6 or 2-10 on the games nights. As for Games Day, no way you will be contracted to work it. All staff are.

3)The main thing you should know about is your holiday rights. You are not allowed to take holidays during any school holidays/half term. Thats right no summer hols. As for the other benefits 50% discount is sweet. I've heard the pension is fairly good but there my personal experience ends.

With regards to your last question no idea mate sorry.

i take it from the info you have provided me with that you left GW for income reasons?, which is understandable really based on things that surfaced

well number 1 sounds abit depressing, guess that means i will be renting with my parents for a while, if i take the job up, huh

:wtf:unpaid overtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf: isn't that like against the law or something?

for GD did you mean, yes you can't take that day off, or no you can, i think there might be a comma missing somewhere.

guess the discount sounds cool, but if you wages are that bad, then i suppose you need to be compensated somehow.

Not to sound bleak, but if the pay is that bad, how do they get people to work for them, i mean you can only love something so much right, or to the point where you need to make ends meet?

thanks for the additional info ex-blueshirt i was sort of hoping more people who had worked for GW would give me some advice and input.

:Dthat doesn't mean im thankful for the inof everyone else has provided:D

Ex-Blueshirt
15-01-2008, 21:32
To clarify EVERY staff member HAS to work GD. Whether that be in store or actually at the event.
With regards to how gw get people to work for them for such bad money, well it's their hobby. You get to play with soldiers all day, how cool is that! The novelty decreases as your need to eat increases.
Unpaid overtime is a part of most retail jobs unfortunately.
I don't want to seem like i'm putting you off, as i've said it was the best job i've had. Just go into it with your eyes open.

kairous
15-01-2008, 21:34
To clarify EVERY staff member HAS to work GD. Whether that be in store or actually at the event.
With regards to how gw get people to work for them for such bad money, well it's their hobby. You get to play with soldiers all day, how cool is that! The novelty decreases as your need to eat increases.
Unpaid overtime is a part of most retail jobs unfortunately.
I don't want to seem like i'm putting you off, as i've said it was the best job i've had. Just go into it with your eyes open.

sound advice dude, i will keep it in mind, if and when i do go in for an interview.

Matt121
15-01-2008, 21:41
As an ex staff member i can verify what ex-blushirt has said, the pay is some of the lowest that you could ever get, i worked better paying security jobs! You would be lucky to qualify for a bank loan never mind a mortgage whilst being a blueshirt. Managers get quite a good increase but in my experience they were all 'yes men,' one manager i know purposely buried hard evidence of an employees unsuitability to be left alone around children & even arranged for him to be transferred to a store in the UK!!! I'm not going to go into specifics as said manager is still in his position today. All to protect the companys 'good name' i was told.
Overtime is certainly unpaid however in Ireland this is illegal but the company has yet to be taken to task for this, since our legal system is largely inherited from the UK then i presume that it would be the same situation in the UK but i confess i don't know.
Again as ex-blueshirt said you would be rostered to work shifts which will depend on where the store is located i.e. high street, shopping centre. They can also call you in to work when you're off & whilst you are quite entitled to decline its NEVER forgotten when you say no thanks. That being despite GW Dublin being one of the companys most sucessful stores.
Holidays are where you can also get screwed, i've seen guys being forced to cancel family holidays booked months in advance because of school hols (secondary schools in Ireland get 3 months summer holidays) because the company 'reserved' the right to tell you when you could go basically. I can't comment on the pension rights as we were excluded from that & with the pay being so bad we couldn't fork out for it anyway. The 50% discount is about the main reason most of us worked there in the first place but i'm told even that changed however others can tell you better than i can, i will say though i had some great times working there.

Kairous my advice is find out for yourself but be prepared to have your eyes opened, you may never look at GW the same way again.

The Guy
15-01-2008, 21:54
What is the pay then? How much do you get monthly? :confused:

Ex-Blueshirt
15-01-2008, 22:03
They can also call you in to work when you're off & whilst you are quite entitled to decline its NEVER forgotten when you say no thanks.

Oh yes the amount of times this happened. When I said before that you need to give your all to the job this is one of the things I was talking about.
Be prepared to brown nose. Only those who do last long.

simonr1978
15-01-2008, 23:11
i was considering going off and getting HGV, but i might give that a couple of years before commit myself to it.

I really wouldn't bother unless you're in the late half of your 20s (Which I gather you're not from your other posts) or have enough money to buy your own cab and trailer, a bloke at work did this and couldn't get any work, nowhere would employ him until he was 25 or had at least 6 months experience (insurance apparently). Without experience he couldn't get a job, without a job he couldn't get experience, so he was basically stuffed untill he turned 25...

ExquisiteEvil
16-01-2008, 03:58
Here is what the chairman of GW plc himself says of staff;

"Staff can only progress by first becoming a good fit with GW. Our efforts will be best rewarded by getting those that fit well to be more effective. Highly effective people who dont fit are extremely dangerous and should be re-housed elsewhere ASAP"

So yeah - if your a 'yes-man' you'll do ok.

If you actually have ideas, look for improvements and are a Highly Effective employee - it doesnt seem GW is for you.

Well, at least it seems they dont want talented people who strive for improvement working for them.

**quoted from GW plc shareholders/upper management manual. Author: Tom Kirby, Chairman GWplc

Ex-Blueshirt
16-01-2008, 08:39
GW is run like any other retail chain.
They dont want their staff to think.
Their staff are not paid to think. A GW staffer is paid to sell toys, not bring in sweeping changes to company policy.

dancingmonkey
16-01-2008, 08:44
this is one of those things that surfaces everyso often.

I'm ex GW (hence the monicker... GW staff = Dancing Monkeys)

As retail jobs go, its such a fine line between fun and hell. I loved GW, but after three years working as a Ke Time staff member in a UK store I got such GW fatigue. To be fair, I think GW is really going into a tail spin at the moment, so part of my decision to leave was based around that any way.

Good points about the job....

* You do your hobby for a living.
* Discount was great, now its less good, but still 50 % is nice
* You meet great people (Two of my closest friends who I game with failry regulalry despite living several hours travel away were met through GW.)
* Contrary to popular belief, Bluse Shirts are not quite the proverbial mushrooms people think (kept in the dark and fed on s**t) You do get the heads up on some stuff a little early, although no earlier than folk here, so go figure :)
* You do get to meet GW strs. I now have a good working relationship wit hMr Abnett, occasionaly paint for him ,and get to email him for info when I need, which was very handy when I needed an interview for a college project.

Bad Points...

* You do your hobby for a living.
* You get to work with total ******s.
* You are a badly paid child minder.
* Wages are crap. I took home about 160 a month working about 8 hours a week. But bear in mind thats GW 8 hours, which is at least 40mins before shift start and an hour+ after to clear and prep the shop. there were days where I was working 2+ hours after I was due to leave because staff hadn't showed and I needed to cover their sorry asses... Don't expect pay for this either...
* Key time staff are bottom of the barrel. You don't get the perks of other staff (this may have changed) you get crap hours, when all key time were made redundant (that was fun!) I was not given reducdancy pay as I agreed to be taken on as a new staff member immediately. It was some dodge involving not upsetting the city by revealing how many staff were being cut in the keytime purge.

I did the job because I was at uni, had spare time and got a shed load of cheap toys. that was at the tail end of the good times. 2003-2006
I left as I reached the end of my course and was leaving the UK for a bit.

I was offered management training (proved myself as a good member of staff a number of times) but the pay was awful for a graduate 13,000 starting wage, and they will send you to wherever they feel like in the country, so no garuantees there... Also, with the reduction of middle management there is so little carrer advancement it hurts. Its now Manager-Area-Top level, with what was 12 Area manageers, now I believe reduced to about 4-6! So a lot of managers fighting for very few positions.

I believe full time staff earn about 11,000 before tax, so I hope you like frugal living. I left GW and took up a postion in a major bank as a filing clerk and was earning 10 an hour, withing a few months I had risen to Account Manager and earned 20,000 a far cry from GWs paltry 13,000.

(I'm a student again now so go figure :) )

Do it through uni, whore your discount and make some good friends, but don't do it long term unless you are loaded, prepared to bow and scrape to tosspot managers (there are many!) and be abused on a regular basis...

Thats my two pence anyway enjoy...

ps. how many people with a simian linked name are ex GW staff... I'm crrious.

Jedi152
16-01-2008, 14:56
Would it be even worth me applying and going to a recruitment event if i only wanted to work sundays?

Ex-Blueshirt
16-01-2008, 16:08
Would it be even worth me applying and going to a recruitment event if i only wanted to work sundays?

No. Putting it bluntly. Usually a part timer works both Saturday and Sunday and possibly vets night.

kairous
16-01-2008, 19:50
Thanks for all the info guys, i can say now that im quite depressed:cries:, no jokes at my current job, i work part time 12 hours a week, which works out at about 63 a week, and thats what just over 250 a month, from what has surfaced thats way more than a GW part timer if im right in thinking.
I think.............I think i will go to a recruitment day and see what happens, i will try and be open minded and see what happens, but i don't think i can look at the company the same way now:(
None of this is your fault, i created this thread with these sort of responses in mind, i wanted to find out about the darker side of the company.
Keep the responses coming guys, would be interesting to see what else comes up.
Cheers.

Jedi152
17-01-2008, 06:53
No. Putting it bluntly. Usually a part timer works both Saturday and Sunday and possibly vets night.
Hmm ... i was afraid of that. I work full time in the week, and it's be nice to have at least one day off a week...

kairous
17-01-2008, 17:59
is there anyone on warseer that still works for GW?

kairous
18-01-2008, 16:41
well after all is said and done, im still going to apply for the job, hopefully get taken on, as im going to go for the full time position, never know might have a better chance that way, and try the job out for a couple of years, see how things go.
I would like to thank everyone for the info that you have given me, it was incredibly useful and revealing about the company as a whole.
Of course, the thing is, after emailing GW, i might have said this already, they told me it would be better to apply when i can actually work, so i won't in fact be going to the recruitment til about june time, as im guessing thats when my last exam will be about.
I will however go into my local store after my 18th and pick up ye olde application form. Is this a good idea though? or should i apply the same thing about applying when i can work to this?
cheers again guys, if you have anymore thoughts or info, please let me know.

kairous
21-01-2008, 18:25
heres a question, im hoping you guys can answer.

i saw that the site says that the event is to find candidates to work in GW stores, it then goes on to name specific stores that are involved with the event. Does this mean that if i am a successful candidate, will i be sent to one of those stores, or will i be sent to one closer, or with in a reasonalbe travel distance of my home territory?

any answers or input would be good:D

im beginning to think it might just be easier to apply to the stores that are in my local area as it where, anyone who does geography would be a great help on this.
Well i live in ashtead so that would mean my local stores would be, epsom, sutton and kingston, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, thats all i got:)

kairous
16-04-2008, 16:36
Well, i have an interivew coming up for a full time GW position in woking on monday morning.
Problem is my experiance with trains and buses is somewhat limited (hardly ever used the things), i will need to do abit of research on it.
So i was wandering if anyone could give me some help, and provide me with any inofrmation that might help me on the above topic.

Cheers in advance for any help.