PDA

View Full Version : Easiest model to put together

SilentTempest
08-01-2008, 08:28
Okay, so we continually get threads about the most or least powerful army, the easiest to learn, the one with the best magic, etc, ad nauseum. So here's something slightly different.

As I sit here trying to stick the cloaks on my newly purchased Glade Guard, getting frustrated at how many don't fit, or only fit certain torsos, I began to wonder... What is the easiest model to put together in Fantasy.

Now, I'll give this question a couple of categories. They can be:

1. Easiest to assemble core model (I'll define Core as something that you'd expect to have 20+ of in most of the lists you'd make with that army.)

2. Easiest to assemble, period.

3. Easiest metal to assemble.

4. Easiest ARMY to assemble.

(Let's skip the smartypants remarks about models being easy to assemble because it's just the 1 piece and the base.)

Feel free to use this thread to talk about the most DIFFICULT models too.

badgeraddict
08-01-2008, 08:38
Easiest Core & Metal to assemble.....DE Corsairs. One Flag to glue in place, then slot all the troops onto bases. Job done!

DE wins Easiest Army to assemble (for me) due to it being 90% metal.

Then again... DE Executioners are highly annoying to assemble with their uber flimsy sword.. *shudders*

kroq'gar
08-01-2008, 08:49
new empire are pretty quick as everything fits and is solidly in place.

Count Zero
08-01-2008, 08:59
dont forget the DE hydra too!

but apart from those too DE are quiet easy.

badgeraddict
08-01-2008, 09:02
*slaps forehead* Oh Gods I forgot about that beastie......damn thing

Bretonnian Knights are quite a joy to put together, I really enjoyed assembling those guys and their steeds!

Knights of Requiem
08-01-2008, 09:03
The old Empire Handgunners were VERY easy.

Glue Handgun to reloading Handgunner...TA DA!!! Instant Heavily Armed, unable to shoot models! :D

logan054
08-01-2008, 09:49
Chaos warriors

Tonedogbf110
08-01-2008, 09:52
Orc boyz (plastics) are pretty good and allow a lot of freedom with positioning arms.

worst one I've come across? probably the goblin Doom Diver or orc chariot.

Chiron
08-01-2008, 09:57
The old Empire Handgunners were VERY easy.

Glue Handgun to reloading Handgunner...TA DA!!! Instant Heavily Armed, unable to shoot models! :D

Spearmen were easier, Glue spearman to base and done.

They also had the nicest empire shield, despite most of them not looking as if they even used them :rolleyes:

jullevi
08-01-2008, 12:27
new empire are pretty quick as everything fits and is solidly in place.

For me new empire models have taken a really long time to assemble. One of the reason is the frikkin mold lines, but the more important reason is the fact that the models look quite bad assembled straigth-from-the box. In my opinion they need a serious amount of tweaking before I can consider putting them on a tabletop.

"Good-looking bits which make bad-looking models" seems to be a quite common feature for GW plastics nowadays.

EvC
08-01-2008, 12:38
BfSP Night Goblins and Dwarfs, of course, of course!

logan054
08-01-2008, 12:43
actually i lie, the old 2nd necron warrior, just slots in the base and you have a nice army of the same guy :)

theunwantedbeing
08-01-2008, 12:52
Yeah the old necrons...dont even need to paint them as you just painted them the same sort of colour as the metal they were made from.

As for fantasy....well,any 1 pice slottabase model is about as easy as it gets to stick together.

forgottenlor
08-01-2008, 14:46
Gnoblars. All you have to do is glue the head on the body. Really a no brainer. As far as an army goes, I haven't assembled a truly easy one yet. I have hear the ogre scrap launcher is brutal, so I have avoided buying one. I hated assembling my tomb scorpions and screaming skull catapult (they are cool models, though), the arms of my lizard men temple watch didnt want to stay on, and the tails of clan rats always fall off

logan054
08-01-2008, 15:15
Yeah the old necrons...dont even need to paint them as you just painted them the same sort of colour as the metal they were made from.

As for fantasy....well,any 1 pice slottabase model is about as easy as it gets to stick together.

The old plastic 4th ed chaos warriors then, you just had to love them models :eyebrows:

Ethlorien
08-01-2008, 17:11
Single model: any single-piece slot base.

Army: My DE were quick and easy to assemble, though Morathi's head has fallen off her shoulders more times then she's actually been defeated, and her pegasus' wings were annoying to put on.

Rotokultaxe
08-01-2008, 17:20
Easiest monster to assemble: the carnosaur. I was extremely surprised to see how most of the parts fit perfectly. Almost no filing to do, and almost no green stuff to fill the gaps.

Easiest core to assemble: dwarf warriors are pretty easy to assemble for multi-parts models, as long as you don't upgrade the to longbeards with those tiny masks (you need to file their face to fit it in place...)

Lucky24/7
08-01-2008, 19:24
Great Swrods as they are used alot in 20+ Blocks of Doom :D

Maggoth
08-01-2008, 21:01
I think that their is a GW has a molding conspiracy, like we pay like alot of money for these toys and they can't even cast a model to line up properly? I bet they mold them inperfectly so we have to spend money on tools (if your dumb enough) and green stuff to assembe them, sure you can put your deamon prince together without the green stuff, but it will look like total $hit.
And the easiest mini is obviously BFSP minis.
But the chaos warriors are also the best looking easy assembled models IMO.

Joewrightgm
08-01-2008, 21:23
Night Goblins, the new plastics for the army. They look good, are only (I think?) three pieces, more for the command group, but other wise very simple with lots of great bits.

Mazdug
08-01-2008, 21:27
I am a big fan of the orc models, both for fantasy and 40k because they are easy to assemple, easy to paint, and proceeded the current generation of shoddily designed plastics that have awful flat spaces between the details. Also, they look great, and the fact that they are interchangeable from 40k to fantasy makes for a lot of room for variation and easy conversions.

As far as bad models go, there where a lof of nightmares putting together my TK. Screaming skull catapults have like a billion pieces, the ushabtis weapon hands required some sort of complex stretching/twisting to get them to match the arms, and then the weapons looked like they where bent oddly (I must have spend like 4 hours messing around with those things before they looked decent), and maybe its not all of them, but my casket of souls had a ton of extre metal in some of the recessed parts that I had to drill out and resculpt. The skeletons backs don't stick into their pelvises all that well, and are easy to break, and the tomb scorpions legs and arms required pinning and bending to get them onto a base and to keep them on. On the plus side, they all look sweet once you've put them together, and I think tomb swarms are probably the slickest looking swarms in the game.

EvC
08-01-2008, 22:02
I was quite surprised to find that Morathi's Dark Pegasus is actually quite easy to put together. Those massive wings I thought would be a nightmare, but they've stayed on so far. It's silly that she has legs moulded onto her, but as it is to become a Winged Nightmare for a Vampire Countess, I shant complain ;)

Flypaper
09-01-2008, 00:20
Ogres would win hands down (big fat plastics, nothing really has to line up), if not for the Scraplauncher. Having one of the top three hard-to-assemble models kinda drags your average down. :eek:

Skaven have it fairly easy... Aside from the Bell; and I've heard bad things about Jezzail shileds. Other than that, all you have to deal with is the fact that there's three trillion models per army to line up. WE aren't too bad either, although the dynamic posing makes lining Glade Guard elbows up harder. Oh, and Treeman limbs.

...That really leaves High Elves as the only army with zero units that are painful to assemble; particularly now with plastic Tiranocs (pinning metal bits of chariot floor was probably the only annoying part of assembling the old HE). Even the Big Monster Mount (tm) is easily-glued plastic. All the metal infantry is monopose (and no worrying about Draich blades like DE), and the plastic infantry is fairly low-footprint and easy to line up.

Kerrahn
09-01-2008, 01:34
Out of all the models I've done (Tyranids and SoB for 40k, WE, BFSP Dwarves and Chaos for Fantasy, craploads for LotR), excluding 1-piece models, the easiest for me were the Chaos Warrior models.

Just a matter of applying the glue, putting the two parts together, and then sitting it aside to dry while I glued something else together (normally I'd have to hold pieces together or they'd fall apart before drying).

El Haroldo
09-01-2008, 01:48
Easy? Them battle fo' skull pass goblins were pretty simple.

Uh, in terms of multi-piece plastics, I'd say out of DE Warriors, Dryans, Skeletons, new school State Troops, Glade Guard, Glade Riders; I'd say definitely state troops. Dryads 2nd. Having a legs/torso piece that you stick arms and heads on makes it so much easily and the amount of extra bits means you can still make them look different.

The tiny spinal bit that comprises the waist join of Skeletons is evil. Glueing 40 of them in a night was a terrible experience.

I've just bought a Lord on a Steed of Slaanesh and I can see it being a bastard to glue, pin, keep together.

SilentTempest
09-01-2008, 01:59
You find that plastic parts fall apart unless you hold them? I've never had that problem. Have you tried pushing the pieces together quite firmly (ie hard). My standard method is adding a decent amount of plastic glue (such that a tiny amount will squirt out when I push the pieces together), push em together hard for about 5-10 seconds, and then sit them in a position such that gravity won't cause the limb to want to move away from where it is. It's never been a problem for me doing that.

@ Flypaper: I've found the Wood Elf cloaks very annoying. Thankfully they're now done.

@ everyone: So it seems that there's a million and one opinions, some of them directly conflicting. I really should have seen that coming ;)

Imperial Stormtrooper
09-01-2008, 03:00
orges were the easiest things to put together.

gnoblars were just 2 pieces on the base, and the bulls and them are just so big pieces its just really simplified then say, skeletons or clan rats.

the scraplauncher did take a week or so to put together, but it was worth it. it ate troops haha

Urgat
09-01-2008, 09:35
I was going to say ogres for army too. Handful of easy plastics.
Then you turn to the metal ones, struggle to get the great weapon to fit to the tyrant arms, and then, huge mistake... you buy the scraplauncher.

EvC
09-01-2008, 11:13
...That really leaves High Elves as the only army with zero units that are painful to assemble; particularly now with plastic Tiranocs (pinning metal bits of chariot floor was probably the only annoying part of assembling the old HE). Even the Big Monster Mount (tm) is easily-glued plastic. All the metal infantry is monopose (and no worrying about Draich blades like DE), and the plastic infantry is fairly low-footprint and easy to line up.

Phoenix Guard are a bit annoying. I've got 6 to put together, and will no doubt be buying another 10-15 in the future, and I'm not looking forward to it!

Angelwing
09-01-2008, 15:11
The tiny spinal bit that comprises the waist join of Skeletons is evil. Glueing 40 of them in a night was a terrible experience.

Clipping, moldline removal and sticking my 40 TK skeleton spearmen has put me off collecting big units O'Doom forever more. :cries:

MindSlave
09-01-2008, 15:30
High Elf Dragon is the easiest model I have EVER assembled! It fits sooo smoothly...

twisted_angel
16-01-2008, 19:14
toughest - treeman!!

damn him...

Wolfmother
16-01-2008, 19:56
clanrats are the worst model to put together and im up for an argument i put 100 together!

EvC
16-01-2008, 21:00
High Elf Dragon is the easiest model I have EVER assembled! It fits sooo smoothly...

Amazing to think the Lion Chariot was so much harder in comparison. Not difficult, buy annoying, especially as it had holes and grooves that didn't fir the pieces... nice work!

Fredmans
17-01-2008, 08:35
clanrats are the worst model to put together and im up for an argument i put 100 together!

I have to agree with Wolfmother on this one. Those pesky tails make you wonder why you even bothered in the first place. With no other resort, you find yourself cutting them down with your clipper. And there are so many of them.

I don't agree with all the BfSP followers. Assemble - oh yes, but to shave them - oh, no. I found them extremely annoying to clean up.

The glade riders and dryads, however, were a joy to assemble. Give me those, and a couple of metal nobles and I have an easily assembled good-looking army.

kbolster12345
17-01-2008, 14:47
Gnoblars are easy to pt together but they are such a pain in the **** to paint! They have alot of detail (things hanging off them, different weapons, different armor bits, etc) for a model that only costs 2 points!

I am suprised no one has said the Giant. Being plastic and huge made it easy for me.

Other than that if you want to balance easy and looks I have to say current Flamers of Tz. File and glue the arms. Really nothing to it and they are just an awesome looking model with a decent paint job.

Haydog
17-01-2008, 19:14
The newer chaos warriors were pretty nice. Most of the creative gamers hated them because it made conversions hard. But those gamers like myself who spend alot of time with bits and pieces of model plastic glued to myself there great.

Triggerdog
17-01-2008, 19:22
Easiest model: Old Empire Spearmen

Easiest Army: New Empire or Ogres

Goruax
17-01-2008, 20:07
I've found skinks to be pretty easy to put together, only 2 arms and potentially a shield to fit on.

What tool(s) do people use to shave the mould lines?
I used to use a knife, but it's too clunky for skinks, and a files don't seem to fit the bill.

Copenhagan
17-01-2008, 20:35
I like salamanders glue on one leg and your done. I also like swordmasters just glue them to the base.

I have had problems with temple guard.

Aryakas
18-01-2008, 15:17
I'd have to agree that Clanrat tails are the most infuriating experience I think I will ever encounter with fantasy models, my first regiment ended up being a puzzle where every model only fit on the tray if it was next to another specific model.

A13X
19-01-2008, 06:41
I'd have to agree that Clanrat tails are the most infuriating experience I think I will ever encounter with fantasy models, my first regiment ended up being a puzzle where every model only fit on the tray if it was next to another specific model.

ouch... they can have some really big units aswell...

Easiest for me is basically any singlepiece slotta base, straight foreward really...

Cirrus the Blue
19-01-2008, 07:15
My vote goes to the Orcs. The little knob on the neck makes it a no-brainer to put the head on in exactly the right spot, same with the torso to the legs. The shoulders have a nice wide area to work with and after that, they're pretty well done! I've seen some really bad gluejobs for the Orcs all the same though which is difficult to wrap my mind around considering they're so braindead easy.. Then again, I saw a kid one time use a whole bottle and a half of plastic glue on 1 IG tank, so I suppose some people just aren't meant to be good at modelling. *shrug*

- Cirrus

Calibur22
19-01-2008, 12:49
what he said

Duke Georgal
20-01-2008, 01:51
1 piece models:

4th edition golblins
4th edition HE archers
4th edition chaos dwarfs
4th edition black orcs
5th edition bretonnian archers
5th edition skinks
5th edition bestigors
6th edition spearmen (1/2 of them)
6th edition handgunners (1/2 of them)
7th edition night goblins
7th edition dwarfs

Lijacote
20-01-2008, 02:40
If I'm not terribly mistaken, one or two Horror models from the current boxed set are one-piece-models (that beheld no laws of grammar I think)

Chaplainmasters
20-01-2008, 11:55
The worst models to stick together are warp beasts!!!!!!

i am using them as chaos hounds and they are a sob to put together