PDA

View Full Version : apocalypes-tau question

Green_RangerAK-47
08-01-2008, 21:31
in the apoc book it says theres no restrictions on what upgrades you give, as long as you pay the required point cost. so if im guessing right, the part in the tau codex that says the battle suits can choose 3 weapon/support systems is now unlimited. *a battle suit w/ missle/plasma/multi tricaker/and targeting array? can he have them all and not need to make the multi tracker hardwired?

just a question that was brought up in our fun time gaming...

bosstroll
08-01-2008, 21:40
in the apoc book it says theres no restrictions on what upgrades you give, as long as you pay the required point cost. so if im guessing right, the part in the tau codex that says the battle suits can choose 3 weapon/support systems is now unlimited. *a battle suit w/ missle/plasma/multi tricaker/and targeting array? can he have them all and not need to make the multi tracker hardwired?

just a question that was brought up in our fun time gaming...

I cant find that quote anywhere.

However, in the box on page 17 it says:
1)pick army
-points limit etc
-pick an army from the relevant 40k codex
-force organisation charts dont apply

So really, you still pick units from the dex, no 15 weapons systems sorry.

chromedog
08-01-2008, 22:05
FOC restrictions do not apply, all other codex restrictions for units DO apply.

So if codex restricts you to squads of 5-20, you can't have squads of <5 or >20.
If codex restricts you to x special/heavy weapons per squad, you can't have any more per squad than that.

You are not resricted to max 2 HQ or 6 Troops. You are also not restricted to fielding current codex armies (it's all about fun and using what you've got, and by agreement with your buds. Hence why GW have trotted out the older 3rd ed army options like LaTD, LoTD, UWWSF, etc)

Ozendorph
08-01-2008, 22:18
^ yep. Units chosen still must be legal entries from one codex or another.

Bregalad
08-01-2008, 22:32
A Crisis Suit has 3 hardwire points where you can attach weapons/support systems, also in apocalypse. So no, you can't have a suit with 15 weapons on it, as you could have guessed. Cybernetic support systems are allowed though, in the Codex and in Apocalypse.

And I don't know of any unrestricted upgrade rule in Apocalypse, giving one soldier an unlimited number of weapons.

The Orange
09-01-2008, 04:42
Well it is apocalypse, you could just come up with special rules for a suit with 15 weapons systems.

Hellebore
09-01-2008, 04:46
Well so long as your comrades in gaming agree you can do whatever you want.

I created this for apocalypse:

XV99 Barrage battlesuit
This is the heaviest battlesuit producible by the Earth Caste. It is a veritable tank on legs, capable of shrugging off the most destructive of blasts and opening up with battery of deadly weaponry. It is the only battlesuit capable of producing enough energy to power an ion cannon, and some records have shown a single suit wielding four of these powerful weapons.

WS:2 BS:3 S:6 T:5 W:3 I:2 A:2 Ld:8 Sv:2+

Unit Type: Infantry

Wargear:
Barrage battlesuit
Dampening field
Networked Marker Light
Shield Generator
Two shoulder hard points
Two arm hard points
Two servo hard points

May take one of the following for the shoulder hard points:
2 Ion cannons
2 railguns

May take one of the following for the arm hard points:
2 ion cannons
2 railguns

May take two of the following for the servo hard points:
Railrifle
Plasma rifle
Fusion blaster
Flamer
Burstcannon
Missile pod

The Barrage battlesuit may choose up to one Battlesuit Support System, and any Battlesuit Wargear from the Tau Empire codex.

Special Rules:
Barrage battlesuit
These are the largest battlesuits the tau can manufacture, standing taller than an imperial dreadnought. They give the wearer the Acute Senses and the Slow and Purposeful special rules.

Dampening field
This is adapted form tau stellar technology, and is very difficult to replicate. It makes the bearer imune to instant death.

Hellebore

The Orange
09-01-2008, 05:33
Wow, I like the idea Hellborne, you gonna make the into a datasheet anytime soon? How about a model?

Orca
09-01-2008, 16:29
A quick note on Tau - you can also ignore the "one per army" restrictions, so a unit with Airburst frag projectors is legal.

The biggest problem that I had with playing my tau in Apoc is keeping myself from powergaming every suit into it's own elites slot.

The second biggest was figuring out what to proxy a Manta with.

Culven
09-01-2008, 17:20
A quick note on Tau - you can also ignore the "one per army" restrictions, so a unit with Airburst frag projectors is legal.
This is true, but Apocalypse is, IMO, intended to be fluffy and story-driven. Fluff says that Special Issue items are prototypes and there is only one per force. That being said, if your grop doesn't mind playing it, thn it is fine. However, there is also the possibility that one's opponent will simply refuse to play against anything they believe to be bending the rules.

The biggest problem that I had with playing my tau in Apoc is keeping myself from powergaming every suit into it's own elites slot.
I suspect that wouldn't be an issue for long, but you may get bored having no one against whom you could play.

Remember, Apocalypse is meant to be fun for all. If a player isn't having fun against a certain opponent, they will be more likely to decline future games against them.

Mr Zephy
09-01-2008, 19:06
This is true, but Apocalypse is, IMO, intended to be fluffy and story-driven. Fluff says that Special Issue items are prototypes and there is only one per force. That being said, if your group doesn't mind playing it, then it is fine. However, there is also the possibility that one's opponent will simply refuse to play against anything they believe to be bending the rules.

Actually that sounds quite cool. I'd take 3 CIBs though, for a cooler look. It's all about the story of the first squad fully equipped with the new weapons being on the front line in an emergency.

Bregalad
09-01-2008, 19:20
Except of teamleaders and Commanders, only the Crisis Suit Guard can take experimental equipment, so this is the only possible "unit" to get those legally in Apocalypse games.

And yes, if you agree with your opponent, even Termagants can ride jetbikes and Giant Squiggoths can steer Land Speeders, but hey ...

Apocalypse is not about losing common sense completely :rolleyes:

Sephtar II
09-01-2008, 19:50
Hmmm... this makes me think about digging out my adapted braodside armed with 2 rail guns, 2 missile pods, 2 plasma rifles, 2 flamers and 2 burst cannons. Oh and threre is also a shield generator. Knew that would come in handy one day :)

09-01-2008, 21:21
yeah if unit restrictions didn't apply imagine a army of Terminators all with assult cannons partnered with a army of Guard vetern squads with all demo charges :D

Oathwarden
12-01-2008, 09:51
actually for a laugh i might be running a bunch of shas'el w/ body guard units with everyone with the fail safe detonator, and have a group of tau that are trying to get into CC, a couple of nid players around here want me to do it

Grazzy
12-01-2008, 17:32
My only change to the idea Hellebore is that the second hard point should not be the same weapons as the first. 4 ion cannons is slightly over the top. If you make it cost enough then i suppose it would be ok.