PDA

View Full Version : Game Moments that touched you. (SPOILERS)

Remoah
09-01-2008, 13:52
Dunno if there's a thread on this. Anyone?

Mine is in COD-4.

SPOILER: Highlight below to read
When the nuke goes off and kills you in the chopper, after resucing the chopper pilot.

SwordsofChaos
09-01-2008, 16:35
Im going to say the death of Keyes in halo 3. Spiked in the back, then when chief and arbiter shows up, johnson carries her dead body into the pelican.

Then mr. Gravemind decides to wreak some major havoc :evilgrin:

mistformsquirrel
09-01-2008, 16:57
For me:

Suikoden V. I got the ending where Lyon died <;_;> and the Prince wandered off into the frozen north never to be seen again.

Now, normally when such a thing happens in a game; I actually just shrug it off. But there was something about the way it happened that really made me sad <;.;>m Maybe cause Lyon is just entirely too cool.

BarbedHawk
09-01-2008, 17:43
Im going to say the death of Keyes in halo 3. Spiked in the back, then when chief and arbiter shows up, johnson carries her dead body into the pelican.

In all honesty I was glad she died. She was one of the most annoying characters I've seen in a game, she was whiny, looked like a 12 year old and bossed you around. Yeah, someone who looks like a 12 year old bossing around a superhuman. I'm glad she's gone.... Does that make me a bad person?

I can't really think of anything really. There was a conversation with an AI in Mass Effect though. You're in this sort of ancient facility, and you find this AI made by the Protheans, supposed 'ancestor race' of the galaxy. It goes on to describe how the prothean civilisation fell, what happened to all the protheans who had managed to escape the destruction in cryogenic chambers, and what happened to the survivors. That touched me quite a bit, the whole description of how the AI had shut down pods by priority to conserve power was especially touching.

Vodevil
09-01-2008, 18:05
The MGS trilogy, something in everyone had an impact on me, although MGS2 was the most interesting to me.

theunwantedbeing
09-01-2008, 18:11
When sue gets ill on grandia...thats not fun, neither is the bit where she leaves.
And when feena's sister sacrifices herself (or seems to..I forget what happened to be honest, been ages since I last bothered playing it).

On Z.O.E. when whatshername dies......and you cant go save her despite her being so close, and an enemy.
Probably other moments, would have been a similar moment on Z.O.E. 2 but I found out that she was just A.I. before I even got the damned game (why? why would something like that get revealed before you play the damned game??!!?.....).
Anyway..would have been a bit of a sad moment to discover she was infact A.I. and not alive again.

Dengar
09-01-2008, 18:11
Halo 3 when johnson dies didnt really see that coming.

The_Outsider
09-01-2008, 18:16
Ironically, for me its not actually part of the game - the DoW intro is just epic (and true 40k) on so many levels it almost hurts.

Kaze
09-01-2008, 18:24
Scenes in which a Black Mage "stopped" in Final Fantasy IX. In the same game, when the Black Waltz kills the Black Mages aboard the transport ship and the camera focuses on Vivi's eyes.

The death of The Boss.

The most touching, and till this day remains as my motto: Solid Snake looking at the camera in the end of MGS2 saying: "Building the future and keeping the past alive are one in the same thing.".

Neknoh
09-01-2008, 18:39
Deffinately Zelda, The Twilight Princess, the ending and mid-game:

When you run with Midna on your back as a wolf, hurrying to Zelda to rescue midna.

When Midna teleports Link and Zelda out of the castle, looking up at the camera and then the collapse of the castle. When you then see Ganondorf holding the crown, crushing it. When fighting in the final swordfight, before pushing the "finish" button, I actually whispered, "For Midna"

And then, the ending... "Link... I'll see you again... sometime" Īmirror shattersĪ
I got a small tear in my eye there

nurgle_boy
09-01-2008, 18:49
Scenes in which a Black Mage "stopped" in Final Fantasy IX. In the same game, when the Black Waltz kills the Black Mages aboard the transport ship and the camera focuses on Vivi's eyes.

Seconded. always makes me damp in the facial area...
Also, the end sequence of FF8 tends to do the same... its just so... Nice...

The Guy
09-01-2008, 19:02
In all honesty I was glad she died. She was one of the most annoying characters I've seen in a game, she was whiny, looked like a 12 year old and bossed you around. Yeah, someone who looks like a 12 year old bossing around a superhuman. I'm glad she's gone.... Does that make me a bad person?
That means we are both bad people ;) I couldn't agree more.

Call of duty 2 Big red one, on the mission where Vic dies and at the end of the level Sergeant Hawk gathers everyone around to "say a few words"

Soulless Enigma
09-01-2008, 20:17
The Death of Hellscream cinematic in WarCraft 3. What a way to go. Grom Hellscream is a legend.

warboss48
09-01-2008, 20:38
I can't really think of anything really. There was a conversation with an AI in Mass Effect though. You're in this sort of ancient facility, and you find this AI made by the Protheans, supposed 'ancestor race' of the galaxy. It goes on to describe how the prothean civilisation fell, what happened to all the protheans who had managed to escape the destruction in cryogenic chambers, and what happened to the survivors. That touched me quite a bit, the whole description of how the AI had shut down pods by priority to conserve power was especially touching.

I totally agree with you. It was a great scene in a game filled with great scenes.

Cade
09-01-2008, 20:40
In Darwinia when it's revealed that the Darwinians themselves had downloaded the virus that is killing them all in an attempt to talk to God.

Bloodthirster90
09-01-2008, 21:47
Same here. Also, first time round, when Brahne died and Garnet was kneeling by her side, crying. I nearly shed manly tears.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is in Heatseeker, when the nuke goes off. Didn't expect it and my jaw hit the floor in shock. I was thinking "Holy s***...they just launched a nuke at their own guys!"

Makaber
09-01-2008, 23:21
The end of Fallout. I'm not gonna spoil it here, you know what I'm talking about. If not: Play Fallout!

Chaplain of Chaos
10-01-2008, 06:03
I would definatly say in Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords when you confront Darth Traye at the end then set out into the Galaxy looking for Revan. The entire game really got to me with it's discussions on the nature of the Force etc.

Keadaen
10-01-2008, 07:27
Illusion of gaia in the very end where all the characters meet up with will, and everyone you ever know is dead...kind of a special moment, for such a old game.

Huw_Dawson
10-01-2008, 08:47
The ending of the Original Grandia. That was the best damn RPG ever made, and the ending not only left you hungry for more, it left you with a fantastic feeling of lonelyness as the ending credits are rolling. Even though the story is finished, the characters are so well established in your head that you genuinely are sad that the game is over.

That game was awesome. Highly recommended.
- Huw

Stella Cadente
10-01-2008, 11:02
Death of Keyes
Death of Johnson
Death of Helicopter guy in the back in COD4
Intro to FFX (mainly Auron being cool)
Intro to FFX-2 (mainly Rikkus legs/skirt/stomach/........upper parts)
Intro to FFXII
intro to armoured core 4
they all touched me, or in some cases (FFX-2, made me touch.............errrrrrrr, nevermind)

Lithanial
10-01-2008, 11:43
Grandia 1 : spend 20-30 hours or so playing through the game and get to the point where you scale that massive wall, get to the top and discover the worlds a whole lot bigger than you thought and theres no way this games only going to be the usual 40 hours gameplay of every other RPG

Grandia 2 : everything to do with millenia, hell every grandia game is full of so many fantastic moments. But as ever square enix are ******** and dont release half their titles in the UK so i havent got to play the third :cries:

Crysis : "Im a marine son! ill walk on water if i have to."

Freespace 2 : GTVA Collossus, 'nuff said

System shock 2 : The big reveal when you meet your benefactor (bioshock had nothing on this ^^)

Johnnyboy
10-01-2008, 19:09
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one

The Death of Aeris

Yeah the DoW intro was awesome too

Lithanial
10-01-2008, 20:11
Aeris had it coming :evilgrin:

Jedi152
11-01-2008, 07:47
RedXIII's father was more moving that Aeris.

Remoah
11-01-2008, 13:30
when Chopper died in AceCombat Squadron Leader. Didnt see it coming.

Yeah, the death of Vic in COD-2 BRO was really sad. Just how he went in first and died.

Carmine dying in GOW... i liked Carmine.

I liked the ending of Fire Warrior... when the Space Marines ordered the Exterminatus of Dolumnar... Then Lusha stands beside Kais and pats him on the back.

floyd pinkerton
11-01-2008, 21:28
Well, the plot twists in System shock 2 and bioshock for some reason left me 'off' for a few days, I dont know why.

the Metal Gear Solid games also sometimes just make me feel weird sometimes as well, thy're just so well written.

All hail Kojima and Levine!

Gue'la Koholic
11-01-2008, 23:04
Amazing, I got through an entire page without any one mentioning Aeris, then it gets ruined...

bdo
12-01-2008, 04:52
thatīd be planescape torment (i guess that is really the #1 rpg of all times :D) for me:

when you find out, that you are actually without a soul. and your soul divided from your body tries to build up power to kill you... so itīs all "you".

also the part where you find out that "donīt trust that skull" or something like that is written on your back... and damn morte never said a thing..hehe

Nazguire
12-01-2008, 10:40
Where Tidus and Yuna kiss each other in that lake with all the pyre flies and pretty music as he finds out she has to die in order to defeat Sin.

That was good.

The intro to FFXII was also like that too. As was many moments in Tales of Symphonia.

nurgle_boy
12-01-2008, 10:46
man... I have a soft spot for FF games...

Just playing through FF6 again, and the part in the world of ruin, where Gau is introduced to his father actually brought a tear to my eye... theres a video on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddZzNflrodo

Just the part where he describes abandoning the child, and gau's reaction...

In fact, most of the scenes in FF6 that go into character background moved me...

Kaze
12-01-2008, 13:16
Nurgle_Boy, in FF6 I'd really put the moment in which Celes attempts to commit suicide as a total heart-breaking moment in the game (or the series in fact), such is her level of desperation in the beginning of the WoR part.

Zoraan
12-01-2008, 18:23
Even though it's poorly animated I think that one of the greatest game scenes is the ending of Diablo 2. It just looks and feels really cool. I love Tyrael, he's got the epic touch of clothing :P

The Guy
12-01-2008, 19:59
Cortana didn't die. But that's more upsetting then "touching".
The end of GRAW 2. Pure win. Play it! Play it now! :mad:

Lt.Bradford
12-01-2008, 21:33
GRAW 2 does have a good ending.

A lot of games have touching parts, especially some of the recent releases.

Redstormrisen
13-01-2008, 01:26
My poor poor companion cube....

She didn't deserve her cruel fate...

Zoraan
14-01-2008, 19:02
Another great game that not so many has played is Oni, which has the most touching end I've ever seen. I know you guy are gonna call me a fag for this, but I seriously cried when I saw it the first time...

theunwantedbeing
14-01-2008, 19:29
Which bit in oni?

Arkzein
14-01-2008, 20:27
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one

The Death of Aeris

Probably because it's so cliche and overdone in these threads but I have to admit it's the only game moment I can remember welling up on. (And that's from someone who isn't much of a fan of the series, I've only played FFVII out of all of them).

Only other thing I can think of is the Aerie romance in BG2, and the ending in Throne of Bhaal it produced, that was more of an "Aw, Bless!" thing though. ;)

Oh and the ending to Populous on the Megadrive had me furious. Mainly because it took me 7 years as a kid on and off to work through the 500 levels and then all you see is a blue guy pushing a red one off the screen. *humpf* :cries:

Blagrot Squigbreff
14-01-2008, 20:51
I know a game called Oni, it's a third person shooter with a lot of close combat staring a purple haired special agent, I think they made a series of it as well.

Anyway the bit where you find your backup/intelligence cyborg has been rigged to explode when you rescue her is harsh and when you find your former boss has stuck her brain in an experiment war machine in an attempt to kill you is also pretty nasty.

Neither of them were touching moments for me, more of a "Right that's it, I'm not even gonna kill that guy quickly now!:mad:" Still an emotional effect I guess.;)

Forbiddenknowledge
15-01-2008, 10:13
Bioshock, the nice ending (the one if you rescued all the little sisters). Choked me up everytime.

Chainsofsigil
15-01-2008, 17:26
thatīd be planescape torment (i guess that is really the #1 rpg of all times :D) for me:

What can change the nature of a man?

^^^^Any time that came up in Planescape Torment. Asking your friends afterwards what answer they chose as well.....awesomeness

Neknoh
15-01-2008, 21:38
Just remembered one.

Homeworld
- Second mission, seriously, second... and then third. . . god. . . the music. . . the story. . . the spaceshuttle, and then you come home to. . . no way man, no way.

That game, despite never having finished it, has one of THE best storylines I've ever seen in a game.

Daniel36
15-01-2008, 22:03
Final Fantasy 7 ticked me off... Never enjoyed the game...

There are several game moments that (almost) brought a tear to mind. Someone here mentioned Illusion of Gaia... You make me want to play it again pal! Great game, very good story!!

Another moment in Suikoden 1, --when Gremio dies... Horrible...-- Highlight it, don't want to spoil it for anyone...

Same goes for the ending in Suikoden 5... I am a Suikoden fan...

But one game in particular that I had never expected to feature such a "shocking" moment, is Lufia 2 - Rise of the Sinistrals.

--When Tia, who has had a crush on you for the entirety of the game and well before it, finally decides to leave in silence knowing that Maxim will choose Selan... Which he does... The whole unrequited love theme was probably the most powerful thing in the entire game--

That there scene made SUCH an impact on me... It's probably because the game was pretty lightweight in all other aspects, and this just fell so much out of tone... In a good way though... Moreso than anything else in the game, this left me wondering, what would life bring her afterwards? Heartbreaking it was... Truly heartbreaking... It has stayed with me... Hehehehhh...

redyellowpinkgreen
15-01-2008, 22:31
metroid zero mission at the end when you see the drawing of samus and the chozo, awww. it was pretty sad when the guy in the chopper gets killed in resi 4. when your friend god dies in black and white 1. whenever a party member died in baldurs gate, ummm i think i'm done :P

dr.oetk3r
16-01-2008, 03:16
Halo:Combat Evolved- The level the MAW: The very beginning of the level where there's chanting and a panoramic view of the Pillar of Autumn, gives me goose bumps, i also liked the end of halo 3 (which was a fairly big disapointment, badly made game) where ol' MC goes into sleep indefinately :(

oh and death of sarge made me sad. He was my favorite character (they turned him into a little girl in halo 3, another reason why that game sucked. He's like "Oh master chief can you tie my shoelaces? Give Cortana a hug for me." Pissed me off, he's meat to be dead 'ard)

To be honest, Bungie really ruined Halo. :(

FreeSpace 2- The very end credits.

Homeword: First level with Barber's strings for Adagio, freaking emotional.

Nephilim of Sin
16-01-2008, 06:43
...i also liked the end of halo 3 (which was a fairly big disapointment, badly made game) where ol' MC goes into sleep indefinately :(

All they did was set it up for another one, though. Or is that just a legendary ending (past the credits, where you see the ship heading for a planet)? I never played it, but my girlfriend's son did, and he was shocked to see that ending.

simonjedi
16-01-2008, 15:30
when eli died at the end of HL2 episode 2

swordwind
16-01-2008, 16:40
The end of Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. The guy whos been in your squad since the very start is obliterated by a Panzer. The closing cinematic after the battle slowly zooms in on the Screaming Eagle patch thats all thats left of him. Gets me right here every time.

Satan
16-01-2008, 16:49
Planescape: Torment is definitively the most moving game I've ever played. In it's entirety as well as individual scenes.

A runner-up would be Arcturus Mengsk's speech from Starcraft.

dr.oetk3r
16-01-2008, 19:25
A runner-up would be Arcturus Mengsk's speech from Starcraft.

Yeah, if i was running for head of state i would use that speech :D

Knights of Requiem
17-01-2008, 11:25
I was so praying to god when i crawled out of the crashed Chopper in COD 4. Just seeing everyone dead, including the pilot your fought so hard to save, and anyone whos played it on harder difficulties, DIED SO HARD to save...And then you wander around before you crash.

When the screen comes up...KIA...i was so ready to stop playing. I was so pissed off, the Marine Campaign was so damned good. And then he died, so angry. I wanted to kick my xbox.

Then watching SSgt Griggs go down. The Execution of Gaz, and the slow death of Captain Price, all moments which made me rethink my currently unfinished application for the defence forces...

The SAS mission after the Death of Sgt Johnson and Lt Vasquez, i went Pshyco, and fired hundreds of rounds into every enemy i saw. I went full on Rambo in anger and vengeance.

Games affect us all eh.

BUT STILL i have no urge to go on a killing spree...TAKE THAT ANTI WARGAME ACTIVISTS...Though i think a rampage through their HQ might be warranted...

And Cod 2-BIg Red One...so agree with that.

The only thing that prevented me from being reduced to speechless sorrow from those games, is the fact that you never EVER talk. I think thats meant to represent the fact that your a representation of All soldiers, but to me i just feel like another pair of boots. Soldiers with an ACTUAL personality are alot easier to miss, then soldiers who never say anything, i hate those characters. Thats why i was more devastated over the death of Varquez, Price, Gaz, and Griggs, then i was over Johnsons.

Zoraan
17-01-2008, 18:36
Which bit in oni?

The ending, both the fight against Muro in both situations and also the ending cinematic. Also the cinematic where her mother dies made me cry so that makes me quite the crybaby huh?

Mor Gothic
18-01-2008, 00:01
Just remembered one.

Homeworld
- Second mission, seriously, second... and then third. . . god. . . the music. . . the story. . . the spaceshuttle, and then you come home to. . . no way man, no way.

That game, despite never having finished it, has one of THE best storylines I've ever seen in a game.

I have to agree with you completely the third mission is just perfect. Homeworld is easily one of the best games I have ever played...

I hunted down the start of the third mission its well worth watching:-

Link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvYZXUT5Bk)

dr.oetk3r
18-01-2008, 04:16
I have to agree with you completely the third mission is just perfect. Homeworld is easily one of the best games I have ever played...

I hunted down the start of the third mission its well worth watching:-

Link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvYZXUT5Bk)

Weeps tears of sadness :cries:

It's Barbers Adagio i tell you!

Templar_Victorious
01-02-2008, 09:14
The Death of Hellscream cinematic in WarCraft 3. What a way to go. Grom Hellscream is a legend.

Indeed, as he was in the expansion of WarCraft 2. He had such and awesome name too. So sad that he got killed.

Another nice moment is when you get to drive the King Tiger in Company of Heroes. Pure destruction!