PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader and Yoda in Soul Calibur III

Ravening Wh0re
10-01-2008, 07:33
I thought they had stopped that character cameo stuff after SCII. Apparently I was wrong.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

I wonder how they will play? Will they have Force powers?

Inquisitor Engel
10-01-2008, 08:12
They will play AWESOME. :D

theunwantedbeing
10-01-2008, 08:56
Lame.
You never see vader move particularly fast in any of the films...soul calibre doesnt suit him in the slightest, that and light sabres are possibly the least fair weapon on the planet in any beat em up.

Yoda...predictable that Xbox and its legion of 13 year old fanboys would get yoda after his unbeivably rediculous fight vs Dooku in Episode 3(was 3 wasnt it?).
He'll be all sorts of lame to face against when you play your mates and I'de expect him to be under the list of banned character's(everyone has a list of character's you know you simply cant beat when your mate has them).

I guess it's "cool" though.

Firebreath
10-01-2008, 09:43
...Xbox and its legion of 13 year old fanboys...
Erm... What? I have a xbox, but am neither legion, 13 year old r a fanboy.

Kindly retract that statement.

theunwantedbeing
10-01-2008, 09:45
Methinks you must be if you took offence.
So no point retracting the statement seeing as I wasnt calling all xbox owners 13 year old fanboys.....

Still not keen on it all but they will nonetheless prove to be a big hit.

Firebreath
10-01-2008, 11:02
Methinks you must be if you took offence.
So no point retracting the statement seeing as I wasnt calling all xbox owners 13 year old fanboys.....
I take offence when in every goddamn thread some 'individual' feels the need to post less than intelligent remarks about certain gaming platforms (be it xbox, pc or ps3) or their owners.

Learn to use some nuance every once in a while.

As for the age... I'm not 13. How about you?

Typheron
10-01-2008, 11:31
kind of a shame that Yoda is only on the x-box and Vader only on the PS3. A marketing ploy methinks, and alightly annoyign as Vader is oviously the cooler of the two.

Not like ill actually buy the game for my X-box (on a side note im 25, never use l33t speak unless in a ironic way and am not a fan boy. Also it was episode 2, well maybe i am a little bit of a star wars fan - but no boy whatsoever) but its cool to see in a way.

Lightsaber should just cut everyone else in half really, although i bet it wont.

The Laughing Man!
10-01-2008, 12:37
This is possibly the stupidest thing ever. I love Star Wars and I love Soul Calibur but I also love Ice cream and curry that doesn't mean I'm gunna go and get my self a chocolate fudge tikka masala.

It doesn't make sense and you just know there going to be hideously overpowered.

God dammit I was looking forward to SCIV untill today:mad:

Kaze
10-01-2008, 12:58
The game is called Soul Calibur IV, not III.

IMO, this is the best way to achieve a higher level o boredom in an already boring game series :rolleyes: Seriously stupid idea.

Vodevil
10-01-2008, 13:28
I don't like star wars, or soul caliber... I'll stick to Tekken DR.

Scythe
10-01-2008, 13:28
Yoda...predictable that Xbox and its legion of 13 year old fanboys would get yoda after his unbeivably rediculous fight vs Dooku in Episode 3(was 3 wasnt it?).

That was episode 2... Yoda vs Palpatine was episode 3. ;)

I'm not bothered so much either way. Lightsabers in a beat em up game does not make any sense, but I can think of weirder stuff...

der_lex
10-01-2008, 14:05
Man, lots of naysayers in this thread. I've always rather liked the Soul Caliber games, and am quite the Star Wars fan, so this gets a big thumbs up from me!

Stella Cadente
10-01-2008, 14:10
I take offence when in every goddamn thread some 'individual' feels the need to post less than intelligent remarks about certain gaming platforms (be it xbox, pc or ps3) or their owners.

Learn to use some nuance every once in a while.

As for the age... I'm not 13. How about you?
I feel the same, it was annoying the 1st time someone said it, and its annoying still on the 1.000.000 time, and its more a stupid comment everytime its said

I;m just annoyed as to why PS3 owners get Cool vader, and us Xbox owners get the stupid green frog with the speech problem

The pestilent 1
10-01-2008, 17:33
Ahahahaha, this makes even less sense that the "Exclusives" from the last one.

Maybe I'm just about the only person in the world who is entirely unimpressed with Star Wars though.

Stella Cadente
10-01-2008, 17:45
Maybe I'm just about the only person in the world who is entirely unimpressed with Star Wars though.
your not, the star wars universe is utter tripe in comparison to decent Sci-Fi's, BUT Darth Vadar is still cooler than kermit the frog with a glowy green stick, although both suck in comparison to someone like Picard:D

BarbedHawk
10-01-2008, 18:25

Oh, I'm sorry pestilent, I thought you two had already met.

Pestilent, meet whineseer. Whineseer, Pestilent.

I doubt you'll go past a post mentioning star wars without seeing a number of members making snide remarks about it.

OT: I think this is indeed a bad idea, they just don't look right. Star Wars and Soul Calibur feel about as compatible as my hand and an oven. Although, I haven't played much of Soul Calibur, so perhaps they like to include wacky ideas like this once in a while.

The Guy
10-01-2008, 18:50
Mre "hard earned" money for George Lucas...how does he do it :rolleyes:

Inquisitor Engel
10-01-2008, 18:53
Yoda = Green. Xbox = Green, predominantly, at least in terms of marketing.

Vader = Black. PS3 = Black.

Nuff said.

Nephilim of Sin
10-01-2008, 19:17
Being a Star Wars nut....I hate this idea. If I wanted a fighting Star wars game, I will just play SW: Masters of Teras Kasi. At least then I can play as Slave Leia and an unfortunate Tuskan Raider named "Hoar".

Of course, I am not a fan of Soul Calibre, so this is probably great for those that are. The only downside is that Soul Calibre is still keeping with the consule exclusives, which, IMO, PS2 got the short end of the stick the last time around.

theunwantedbeing
10-01-2008, 20:25
Weapons pass through the scenery...and through each other, as does arms and clothes when they shouldn't do that.
With a ps2 or xbox game thats acceptable, with a ps3 or 360 its unacceptable and the game suffers massively because of it, it shows the developers just put more polygons and special effects into the game without making the game better.

Vader would be boring to play as anyway.
At least yoda isnt a generic character.

The 360 fanboys got the better deal really.

Neknoh
10-01-2008, 20:30
I love both, but... why? I mean, seriously, sure, it is allready stretching it when every weapon except for those of Maxi and Kilik would kill in one blow and go through people I don't know how many times before they die... but a Lightsabre... no, I simply don't like the idea. Especially if you have a look at Screenshots of it all, the blocks of Lightsabres look exactly the same as blocks of other weapons. Couldn't they at least have added spark and smallish slugs of molten metal when Guarding against a Lightsabre? Also, Vader has a place if slow characters such as Astaroth and Nightmare does, speed is not the issue here. Of course, it would probably be fun to play with Yoda or Vader once or twice... but not more, deffinately not more.

As for Vader ending up on the PS3, couldn't it simply have been a cry from Sony to the developers of "Ok, give US something that will make people buy this damn console instead of Xbox 360's and we'll pay you better than Microsoft!"

Bad idea, very bad idea.

Ravening Wh0re
11-01-2008, 01:36
OMG. What a noob error on my part. I did of course mean SC IV:(

This is the fighter I've been looking forward to most apart from Streetfighter 4.
Don't forget, it's online vs too! There's no way I'm accepting any excuses to not have noline play since VF5 is awesomely lag free (and I've sunk serious hours into it)

The pestilent 1
11-01-2008, 13:09
Yoda = Green. Xbox = Green, predominantly, at least in terms of marketing.

Vader = Black. PS3 = Black.

Nuff said.

So for Soul Calliber 4 the PS3 is gonna get a can of Matt black paint as a fighter?
Makes almost as much sense (Ever been hit with one of them, it hurts)

Ravenheart
11-01-2008, 15:05
Forget about Yoda or Vader, just look at the chicks. Is it just me or is this a whole new level of 'fanservice'?

Bloodthirster90
11-01-2008, 15:41
Forget about Yoda or Vader, just look at the chicks. Is it just me or is this a whole new level of 'fanservice'?

I agree but, as said in the thread in random musings about music videos becoming crap...

Sex sells.
The more female flesh you put on display the more people will buy it.

Stella Cadente
11-01-2008, 15:42
is that a bad thing?:D

ArtificerArmour
11-01-2008, 16:01
It's a bit early for april fools...:(

Neknoh
11-01-2008, 16:05
On the "Look at the chicks" comment, they have looked like that since SC II, and I do believe they looked like it ever since SCI

Ravenheart
11-01-2008, 18:47
On the "Look at the chicks" comment, they have looked like that since SC II, and I do believe they looked like it ever since SCI

Not from what I can remember.
Look at the screenshots, Taki's suit is even thighter, Sophia's dress was never that transpartent and Ivy's breast have become bigger, while her clothes cover even less. But seemingly so do Voldo's. :eek: :cries:

@topic: I had some fun with that Star Wars beat'em up on the PS1 (the name escapes me) even if it was slow as hell. Fighting with Vader would tempt me for sure, but I don't thing the fit into the rest of the game at all.

*breathing* "The force wasn't strong in this one" *breathing* :evilgrin:

Killgore
11-01-2008, 19:52
i think its a FUN idea

about the comment about Vadar being slow and so unsuited for soulcalibur... not all SC characters are speed bunnies, take the guy with the massive axe in SC1 for example, i see no reason why vadar couldnt be classed as a slow but powerful character

Which would i perfer? a lightsabre or a magicaly enhanced sword blessed by the nalywinkle imps in the land of the ifflewiffle trees? sure the lightsabre is more practical to transport but a magic sword is just amazingly cool!

i havnt owned a SC game since SC on the dreamcast, i hope SCIV has the amount of options and game modes that the dreamcast version had

Emeraldw
11-01-2008, 21:11
is this really any odder than Spawn or Link? It's better than a custom Todd Mcfarlene character. (Necrid is gone for good, thank god.) Even Heihachi was unusual. Yoshimitsu? Voldo? Odd is a staple of the series and we have had unusual characters before. Personally, I like it. The idea of downloadable characters sounds interesting as well, fresh meat all the time ^.^ My only issue will be how to effectively balance force powers, god I hope they don't get ranged force pushes....

Neknoh
11-01-2008, 21:17
I think their force powers will be incorporated in their Throws, basically, instead of doing a fancy move resulting in a throw or a chunk of damage from a stab or impalement, we'll have Yoda pick the person up, swing left, swing right, forcepush away, whereas Vader may well go into choke for some damage and then do a force-push (for their frontal, standard throws).

However, Link, Heihatchi, Yoshimitsu and Voldo are odd, yes, however, they still fight using their bodies or swords as main weapons, Vader and Yoda will use forcepower and lightsabres.

theunwantedbeing
11-01-2008, 21:22
I think it's more that the lightsabre is unsuited to a weapon based beat em up.
Seeing as a lightsabre goes through well....anything barring another lightsabre as if it wasnt actually there its not really "fair".
And in making it fair you prettymuch ruin what the lightsabre actually is.

So in that regard it's not such a brilliant idea.
That being said, you can stab your opponent and they dont fall apart or die and such so I guess the complaints about the light sabre are pretty moot arent they?

As for the game itself, going off the various in game video's of it they have utterly failed to resolve the problem of weapons passing through the floor and themselves and the other person that is a problem in all games of that type.
At least with a light sabre its okay for that to happen as well...that is what happens.

Kaze
11-01-2008, 21:49
Despite not being a huge fan of the series, I own the original Soul Blade, Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 3. All goes well when you have characters that match each other in the game's setting.

Adding Yoshimitsu, Heihachi, Spawn or Link, despite being "hidden", for me just ruins the roster available and my overall review of the game. Just like Tekken having a raptor, a giant panda and some fire-breathing dragon-ogre.

In addition to the inadequacy of these characters, for me the really bad part is having Vader exclusively on the PS3 and Yoda on the X360. If they wanna do that with Pokemon, fine.... it's proven that those games sell like peanuts with that scheme going on, but on a Beat'Em Up? Seriously, like this you're gonna have to end up buying Street Fighter 4 White Ryu version and The Red Ken version in order to play with the game's main characters. Bad bad way to sell a game.

Gue'la Koholic
11-01-2008, 23:20
Lame. I was entirely hoping for Kratos on the PS3 version. I think he would have been perfect. I, admittedly, have a man crush on Kratos though.

But, how are they going to do alternate costumes? Is the episode 2/3 whiny Anakin going to show up and moan Nightmare to death? Personally, I'm hoping for this:

http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hello-kitty-darth-vader.jpg

theunwantedbeing
11-01-2008, 23:34
Oh god yes, lets hope so

The Guy
12-01-2008, 00:16
Lame. I was entirely hoping for Kratos on the PS3 version. I think he would have been perfect. I, admittedly, have a man crush on Kratos though.

But, how are they going to do alternate costumes? Is the episode 2/3 whiny Anakin going to show up and moan Nightmare to death? Personally, I'm hoping for this:

http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hello-kitty-darth-vader.jpg

:eek: My old avatar!
It would sell more if they put Yoday and Vader in the same game.
Also I would have liked to Kick Vaders burnt leather ass with nightmare.

Ravening Wh0re
12-01-2008, 03:44
Adding Yoshimitsu, Heihachi, Spawn or Link, despite being "hidden", for me just ruins the roster available and my overall review of the game.
Eh? Yoshimitsu totally belongs in the SC series. Having been there since SC1, he's been in the game 3 times now and really works in game. Actually, I think he's a better fit than in Tekken. What's wrong with a mechanical space ninja/samurai?

Bubble Ghost
12-01-2008, 17:15
The article linked in the original post speculates, fairly logically, that other Star Wars characters might be available as downloadable content. I'm not sure I agree with their reasoning, but it's a nice idea. Thinking about it, can we just ditch all the Soul Calibur characters and have a Star Wars beat 'em up please?

Ravenheart
12-01-2008, 18:25
..., can we just ditch all the Soul Calibur characters and have a Star Wars beat 'em up please?

Oh yes! Seconded!

Morathi's Darkest Sin
13-01-2008, 01:30
I'll be getting this game regardless .. its still one of my fave beat em ups, but man, Stars Wars just feels wrong.

The special characters last time where odd, if they wanted a big movie tie that would have suited the game style, why not look at Lotr or Conan, or something on those lines.

Although At least they'll fight better than in tera Kesai.. *shudders at the memory* :angel:

SV_Harlequin
13-01-2008, 02:42
This seems to imply the Fanservice has gone up a step - http://mos.futurenet.com/resources/gamesradar/Soulboobs/Valeria.jpg and hell i've just seem the pic of Ivy in 4 and eesh she#s barely wearing a thing apart from boots and string, thats not very ladylike.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
13-01-2008, 21:12
Aye Fan service has certainly gone up, in fact it would seem from most previews the most common thing mentioned is all the girls have visited the same clinic the girls of DoA have been attending for a while now. :rolleyes:

five01st
14-01-2008, 13:54
Hah, if anyone's interested, check out these two wackos and their creation Tycho Brahe and Johnathan Gabriel pondering this topic.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/11

Emeraldw
14-01-2008, 14:07
Aye Fan service has certainly gone up, in fact it would seem from most previews the most common thing mentioned is all the girls have visited the same clinic the girls of DoA have been attending for a while now. :rolleyes:

Taki, Ivy and Sophita, all the lovely vixens....Though those three are really about it. The rest are not that bad. I won't even try to defend those 3, but the rest wear full clothing and do not have boobs so big that you feel like they are airbags.