PDA

View Full Version : Ork Characters

DarthIbis
11-01-2008, 01:32
As I'm looking through the new Ork Codex, there were a couple of things that caught my attention.

The first was that Wazdakka Gutsmek and Old Zogwort were listed as HQ, but I don't see any models for them. I'm wondering if they are forthcoming or conversion-only?

The other is that Kaptin Badrukk, Boss Sinkrot, and Boss Zagstruk are all in the forces section with a stat line, but not in the army list and no points are listed. Are they just there for fluff?

...or am I just missing something?

Sev38
11-01-2008, 01:41
Badrukk can be taken as a squad leader for flash gitz, snikrot can be taken as a kommando squad leader instead of a nob as can Zagstruk in a stormboyz mob. Look at the army list entries for flash gitz stormboyz and kommandos. There are no models for Gutsmek and Zogwort and I haven't heard anything about any but there may be some eventually.

DarthIbis
11-01-2008, 03:01
(Smacks self on forehead.)
Sure enough, there they are. I guess they're like "Uber Sergeants" rather than HQ Character-type entries.

Since nobody plays Boyz in my area and what came in the Spearhead are the first 40k Ork figures I've seen in real life, I'm just trying to make sense of it all right now.

I don't see anything in the catalog for Flash Gitz or Battlewagonz either.

RampagingRavener
11-01-2008, 03:04
I don't see anything in the catalog for Flash Gitz or Battlewagonz either.

There isn't anything. Well, Forge World do a Battlewagon in resin, but beyond that, you'll have to convert/scratchbuild your Battlewagons and Flashgitz.

DarthIbis
11-01-2008, 03:32
Thanks for the info, guys.
I'm really looking forward to building a Mob since it will play completely different than my Eldar. (Plus, I love the humor like the "Don't Press Dat!" rule.)

Clang
11-01-2008, 03:46
I'm half expecting the 'missing' special characters to be relaesed as metal figures this year. Maybe not Wazdakka though , he'd be pretty huge and expensive - I'll convert my own anyway...

kikkoman
11-01-2008, 04:51
(Smacks self on forehead.)
Sure enough, there they are. I guess they're like "Uber Sergeants" rather than HQ Character-type entries.

aka Exarch's

enhance what the squad is already good at

Grimbad
11-01-2008, 06:09
Because the characters aren't 'special characters' we can assume that they are there to represent not only that character but the numerous other orks that fit their archetype (mad apocalyptic kickass crazy biker, insane surgeon, crazy pirate, psycho killer, megalomaniacal warlord, madman with a jetpack, wacko shaman... yeah, looks like they've got most of the archetypes involving insanity here...) So now you can use Ghazzy's stats to represent Nazdreg, etc.

ale
11-01-2008, 09:51
For many ork players, converting and scratchbuilding models is a huge part of the hobby. There are quite a few units which don`t have an official model, but if you are not afraid of converting, you can make some very unique models. It`s not very difficult to make your own models since orks loot, modify and ruin their vehicles and equipment anyway so the only limit for how they look is your imagination. And the size of your bits box. Look around this forum and especially forum of www.the-waaagh.com and you`ll get tons of ideas for conversions.

DarthIbis
12-01-2008, 01:31
For many ork players, converting and scratchbuilding models is a huge part of the hobby. There are quite a few units which don`t have an official model, but if you are not afraid of converting, you can make some very unique models. It`s not very difficult to make your own models since orks loot, modify and ruin their vehicles and equipment anyway so the only limit for how they look is your imagination. And the size of your bits box. Look around this forum and especially forum of www.the-waaagh.com and you`ll get tons of ideas for conversions.
I've noticed that GW has taken this to heart with the new Orky releases. It looks like instead of having models for every unit, you pretty much make just about everything from Boyz and then upgrade with bitz (for Stikkbommerz, Stormboyz, Flash Gitz, etc.)

I guess that's cool as long as there are parts available for what you need in terms of wargear.

I'm envisioning Wazdakka on some sort of converted Attack Bike.

fwacho
12-01-2008, 06:38
I've got a model already made that will use Zagstruck's rules. you can see it in my gallery. I call him "Da Fly" and he's got two huge powerclaw talons attached to his feet.
It might be cool to make some deff coptas out of eldar jetbikes. I'll have to think on that one. I'm already panning a looted Sky ray for a battle wagon. That way my war boss and some ard boys can be delivered in style.

spacemonkey
12-01-2008, 06:45
Well, it appears GW is at least planning to release a model of at least one of the new Ork special characters. Just look here- http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2253303&posted=1#post2253303

MadDogMike
12-01-2008, 18:19
I'm assuming Wazzdakka will get a model also, if only because they made special mention of the Titan crew's skulls he's dragging behind him. Sounds like something that's come out of preliminary model design at the minimum.