PDA

View Full Version : Giants and Frenzy

T10
24-09-2005, 11:47
The Slaanesh spell Luxurious Torment can be cast on (among other things) a Giant. Now, a Giant may in fact be a good choice as he has a god chance of shrugging off the damage that comes with the spell.

However, apart from becomming immune to (other) psychology and being forced to declare charges at awkward moments, the Giant technically gains a +1 attack.

Of course, the Giant doesn't have any regular attacks - it's all down to that special table we love so much. But add an additional attack to that and.. uh... Well.

As I see it there are three possible outcomes:
1) The extra attack is ignored.
2) The Giant gets his special attack routine and in addition makes a single regular attack (WS 3, S6).
3) The Giant gets to make his special attack routine TWICE!

I have a special fondness for 2. It's simple and it works.

-T10

starlight
24-09-2005, 11:51
Sadly, I'm going to have to go with option 1 and say that all of the Giant's attacks are assumed to be included within the Special Attacks.

I use Giants in my O&Gs, so I'm not gaining anything in this even though I'd really like it to be option 3! :D

Porksta
24-09-2005, 13:32
I would have to say #2. He would techincally get S+1 attacks.

Crazy Harborc
24-09-2005, 18:07
I go with door #2 as well. #3 IMHO, is very unlikely to be included in the rules anytime soon. Special attacks two times.............um, no. +1 WS3, S6, that I can believe.

Griefbringer
24-09-2005, 22:22
I think I would conservatively go for the option number 1.

Once the giant starts jumping up and down on you, I don't think it would make much difference anyway if it were frenzied.

Festus
24-09-2005, 23:04
Hi

#1 is the way to go definitely:

IIRC the Giant's rules say something along the lines of: *instead of making (its) normal attack(s), a giant...*

Greetings
Festus

starlight
24-09-2005, 23:15
The down side to 2 and 3 is that I can see them being balanced with an increased chance of falling over.

T10
25-09-2005, 11:46
The rules for Giants in the Orcs and Goblins army book simply state that the Giant does not attack in the same manner as ordinary troops (paraphrased). There is no clever use of "instead of making regular attacks".

It seems indicative that the Giant simply will not use regular attacks. Thus option #1 seems most appropriate.

-T10

Festus
25-09-2005, 11:56
Hi

For curiosity's sake:
Could you quote the relevant sentence(s) from the O&G book?

Greetings
Festus

T10
25-09-2005, 12:06
"Giants do not attack in the same way as other creatures though they select their victims as normal. They are far too large and fractious to take orders, and much to scatterbrained to have any sort of coherent plan. In fact, once in combat even the Giant doesn't really know what he's going to do next! To determine what happens, each Close Combat phase roll a D6 on one of the following tables when it is the Giant's turn to fight. (...)"

The rules go on to explain how you chose the relevant table and proceed to detailing each of the table's results.

In short there is nothing particularilly conclusive allowing for the use of any addtional attack gained. The Giant simply has an attack mode determined by rolling on the appropriate table.

-T10

Festus
25-09-2005, 13:28
Hi

Thank you :)
This is what I meant:

"Giants do not attack in the same way as other creatures..."

Greetings
Festus

Gorog Irongut
25-09-2005, 17:04
Looking at it the way that I do, I would choose none of the above. I would say that the giant would only do it's special attack but get a +1 to however many hits inflicted (depending on what attack you roll). So if you jump up and down, it would be 2d6 +1 hits. Seems logical to me.

Festus
25-09-2005, 18:05
And what about *yelling* then?

Greetings
Festus

T10
25-09-2005, 22:46
Lose by -3?

-T10

Griefbringer
26-09-2005, 10:54
Or picking up and stuffing to pants?

Would mr Giant in his frenzy stuff people faster into his pants?

metro_gnome
26-09-2005, 14:03
eeeeewwww... just eeww...

Crazy Harborc
26-09-2005, 21:03
Now, surely I am NOT the only sicko following this thread. I think I am not, soooo, I'll just say and, and, and, THEN what?? :evilgrin:

Dooppie
26-09-2005, 21:29
Now, surely I am NOT the only sicko following this thread. I think I am not, soooo, I'll just say and, and, and, THEN what?? :evilgrin:

If Mr Giant is a chaos Giant blessed by Nurgle...I don't wanna know what's gona happend :rolleyes: ;)

NakedFisherman
27-09-2005, 03:19
Frenzy's extra attack adds one attack to their profile.

I believe there was an errata for the O&G banner which adds an attack. Someone claimed that their Trolls could each vomit twice with the banner, but having a special attack still limits them to their one.

Conversely I'd also apply this to the Giant. He doesn't gain anything by being Frenzied. He has an extra attack in his profile, but he cannot use it.

Frodo34x
28-09-2005, 18:42
If Mr Giant is a chaos Giant blessed by Nurgle...I don't wanna know what's gona happend :rolleyes: ;)Because of the frenzy spell, it must be a Slaanesh Giant.

*mental image of slaanesh giant rapidly stuffing as many goblins as he can in his pants*

Griefbringer
28-09-2005, 20:57
*mental image of slaanesh giant rapidly stuffing as many goblins as he can in his pants*

Imagine what would happen if it would be gnoblars instead of goblins - all those groinbiters... :eek:

metro_gnome
28-09-2005, 21:12
the slaanesh giant would be tickled pink...