PDA

View Full Version : Computer help - PSU

Gobbas
12-01-2008, 00:36
Was looking around the net for a new graphicscard for my computer, since that is the only component that is in dire need of an upgrade, and really slows everything gaming related down for me.

Now I am not sure if my 380 watt PSU could handle a upgrade to a new graphics card from the x850. So I decided to get a new PSU since this one will probably die soon anyhow because of all the dust that it seems to have collected.

Here is my issue though: how will I know if the new PSU will fit my computer?

My current motherboard is ASUS P5AD2-E Premium (Socket-775)

And any other info on what to get and in general about PSU's would be greatly appreciated since my knowledge about them is limited.

And just to note, budget is not the best at this time of year, so I am not looking for anything that is top of the line.

Thanks in advance.

Steel_Legion
13-01-2008, 10:25
Well its more to do with the case, and 99% of the time, a standard PSU will fit in an ATX case (your mobo is ATX I tihnk, so nothing to worry about). You are also a 24pin motherboard, so all new powersupplys will work a charm. I would recommend around the 600w if I were you, leaves some headroom for upgrades etc.
Not quite the full thwak, but this Corsair 550w is cheap and got good reviews (I ordered the 450 a few days ago for my server)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=664337
So something like this, which has all the needed connectors to fuel your new graphics card
Never buy cheap power supplies (like the "Generic") as one blew up, literally, in my face

kyussinchains
13-01-2008, 17:21
overall wattage for a PSU is meaningless, the PSU has three output rails, 3.3V, 5V and 12V, older computers used the first two more than modern computers, which make use of the 12V rail far more, you should be looking for a 30A, 12v rail at the barest minimum really. In my experience, Enermax, OCZ and Corsair all make reliable, high quality power supplies. It's a case of getting what you pay for, a PSU dying can potentially kill your system.... it's worth doing all you can to ensure that doesnt happen!

Gobbas
14-01-2008, 13:37
Thank you both for your answers, they helped much and that corsair one sure does look nice.

And my current PSU's 12+ rail is only 18v so, yeah another reason to get a new PSU

Bombot
14-01-2008, 14:19
I've got a Corsair 550W. Don't have any complaints about it. When looking at the various available PSUs, it seemed to give a very good supply of amps (which is wat actually matters, rather than the quoted wattage) for the price, yet it still has a good name. I've seen it said that Corsairs are rebranded Seasonics, which if true makes them a bargain frankly.

kyussinchains
14-01-2008, 16:35
this (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-023-OC) is a decent alternative to the corsair and it's on offer for the rest of the week!