PDA

View Full Version : Travel time

CELS
24-09-2005, 15:54
I was just reading Sabbat Martyr a second time, and I noticed that the Ghosts used several months travelling from their previous warzone to Herodor. Several months onboard their ship. Now, while this is consistent with the old fluff, it seemed longer than the travel time in new fluff and fiction. Then again, I can't really remember the travel time in other novels.

Does anyone remember any novels or any fluff where the travel time between star systems is given? Are there any examples of travels between systems that take less than a month?

Inquisitor Maul
24-09-2005, 21:08
6 months is usualy what's required to cross a good halfway over the galaxy and certainly not a shorter way through a starcluster so my guess is tha Abnet is simply doing as allways and not reading up on his fluff :p

orangesm
24-09-2005, 22:02
I am going to disagree with Maul on this one... Warp travel - while being faster than the speed of light and such, does not allow for near instanteous travel. It can take a week to cross a sector! Also travel in the warp can be unpredictable, due to warp storms, demons and the like. I would say that Abnett is not far off in his travel times.

Khaine's Messenger
24-09-2005, 22:53
Does anyone remember any novels or any fluff where the travel time between star systems is given?

In some of the ye olde fluff that was deleted from Critical Hit, a variety of travel times were given for certain distances in lightyears, in "realtime min/max" and "warptime min/max"; I believe that this is basically what Kage reproduced in his article about Warp travel, although without the formatting it's hard to tell. ;) If the systems are a significant distance apart, however, it's possible that you can have such large travel times...and there's always the vagaries of warp travel. Tack onto that intra-system travel, and well...months you get.

According to a similar source, travelling from the furthest edges of the Imperium to the opposite end would be a travel distance of about 75k lightyears, for a warp-experienced time of between 75-300 days, and would have a realtime elapsed time of about 6-40 years.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 14:30
GW's own material is remarkably inconsistent on this, a tension between wanting to offer some travel times and wanting to make the warp look chaotic and unpredictable. There is more than enough possibility to have both, but it is not something that is generally explored in the wargame 'fluff'.

Still, that's not quite what CELS was after so...

Kage

CELS
25-09-2005, 18:59
I know about the time in the warp, from the old White Dwarfs, and I obviously know about Kage's article ;) I'm actually trying to find out about the travel time to and from the warp zone, and if, for example, an Ultramarine novel says that it takes two months to travel from Macragge to another world in Ultramar, then that would give me a rough idea.

There are plenty of novels that describe warp travel, such as the Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels, Farseer, the Space Wolf novels, etc. I just can't remember if they travelled for days or months, or if the author neglected to mention this.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 19:17
In that case, don't forget the original WD139/140 article on the 'typical voyage'. I don't have the 'fluff' to hand at the moment (friends computer) but I'm sure that someone can post it (suitably edited to prevent the GW parasites from having a go)...

Kage