PDA

View Full Version : Empire Army

mossel
12-01-2008, 08:17
What do you think of this list? The general idea is to hold the Knights on my flanks, to charge in when the artillery is in danger.

Empire General
-lance
-Imperial Pegasus
-the Armour of Meteoric Iron
-Aldred's Casket of Sorcery

Captain of the Empire
-full plate armour
-Imperial Pegasus
-the Enchanted Shield
-the Sword of Righteous Steel

Warrior Priest
-heavy armour
-shield
-barded Warhorse

Battle Wizard
-2 Dispel Scrolls

10 Knights
-full command
-the War Banner

10 Knights
-full command
-the Steel Standard

10 Handgunners

10 Handgunners

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

Mortar

Hellblaster Volley Gun

Steamtank

bigbear bailey
12-01-2008, 09:35
With no rank and file troops you are going go get smashed like a 18 year old girl on Prom night... I would do this...

Give the priest a great weapon as well as right now he is a 1 some point chr for the added bonus of hatred. If you give him a great weapon as well as a shield then he can also do 2 wounds slmost every combat for around 5 some points...

Get rid or 3 4 knights out of each units as only 6 can swing on a 5 wide base unit and use the points to get a unit of any foot troops... Then make the a unit of handgunners a detachment and you have a decent army...

Spoonie
12-01-2008, 13:48
Give the priest a great weapon as well as right now he is a 1 some point chr for the added bonus of hatred. If you give him a great weapon as well as a shield then he can also do 2 wounds slmost every combat for around 5 some points...

You must have some kinda major thing for great weapons, my friend :) I don't even remotely see how raising his strength from 4 to 5 takes him from a novelty character who only gives hatred, to a killing machine who does 2 wounds almost every round. Not that a great weapon wouldn't be a good thing to add in with extra points, but the scope of the improvement made seems to have been blown completely out of proportion!

As for the list it's uh, different. My gut reaction is you don't have enough shooting to make up for the fact that you don't have any blocked troops. Mind you, it's a fair share of shooting, but some under the weather dice, a horde army, or even enough great eagles could completely ruin your day, and you're basically left with 2 units of knights. At that point I pretty much agree with bigbear, dropping the knights to 6ish with a character in one or both is probably plenty. If you were going to add a unit of infantry, with the open special slot greatswords seems like the logical option, but I'm too tired to even consider how many points you save by dropping knights or how many points greatswords are. :)

Also really quick, what are the characters for exactly? I assume they're for intercepting enemy fast cavalry and fliers, but their magic item selection seems a little out of the ordinary.

bigbear bailey
12-01-2008, 14:37
ha-ha, so we do the dance of multi-post disagrements spoonie... I just think a ws 4 hero with hatred will hit both times with his swings and has a great chance of wounding with str 6...

mossel
12-01-2008, 17:41
Only S5, Great Weapons only give +1S when mounted.

The Wizard's only purpose is anti magic. And when I get lucky, casting the first Heavens spell on the Hellblaster.
The Warrior Priest adds a Dispel die and most important, adds some punch to the Knights (they 'll hit more often).
The Captain and General will go magehunting, fast cavhunting, flyerhunting and marchblocking.

I know, the list is far from perfect, but I'm kinda short on models. I might get rid of one Knightly Order and squeeze in some Swordsmen.

Also, the list will suffer against Beastmen, shooting heavy and magic heavy armies, but IMO I 'll be able to finish off the main threats when making good use of terrain.

Frep
12-01-2008, 18:37
I'm sorry to say this but I would love to see this list come up against an orcs and gobblin army with a bunch of wolf riders and boar boys. Other than two units of knights to tie the enemy up fast cav are going to demolish your war machines. Against the right enemy this is going to be a very power list, ie combat dwarfs, but would get slaughtered by others, any one with cheap fast cav.

mossel
12-01-2008, 19:12
Fast Cavalry will have a hard time getting past the Steamtank on one flankand the Knights and Hellbaster on the other. And there are 2 characters that will be hunting for those wolfriders.

The handgunners can take care of everything coming straight for them, supported by the mortar and cannons.

Frep
12-01-2008, 19:50
Yes, the steam tank and knights are dangerous but... a unit of 5 wolf riders with basic upgrades is only 76 points, a orcs and gobbo player could afford to feed a unit of wolfriders to your knights and steam tanks and still have enough troops to mess up those war machines and handgunners.

And what about if you face a brettonian RAF, he could deploy enough knights, who are of superior quality to empire knights, who would either kill your knights or tie them up and then send pegasus knights in who would quickly close the distance with the war machines.

I'm not trying to pick holes in this list just for the sack of it, but your magic defence is also severally lacking. One battle wizard with scrolls, at 2000 points your magic defence would be expended in one turn. Meaning tomb kings, necrach vampires, and tzeetchean chaos would steam roll this list. But if you were to drop one or two war machines you could invest in some fighting blocks to tie up the enemy, or at the very least another scroll caddy.

mossel
12-01-2008, 21:50
I know you're not trying to pick at me. I posted the list to hear comments and all are welcome. You're absolutely right, RAF and magic heavy armies will pose a severe problem. But even a block of 25 Swordsmen won't stand a chance against a decent lance formation of 9 Knights. I'll try the list as it is a few times and keep you posted. Tomorrow I'll play against Orcs and Goblins. I expect a healthy mixture of troops. Wouter usually plays a Black Orc Warboss, a BSB and 2 L2 mages, some orcs, night goblins and loads of support units.

Spoonie
12-01-2008, 23:23
To each his own! As long as you understand that being so focused on certain aspects of the game makes you more susceptible to a sort of paper, rock, scissors matchup, then I guess we'll see how it goes!

Be Afraid
13-01-2008, 03:25
i would take 3 knight from each unit, and make them into a unit of 6 and add the preist. then drop the chapions frm the two units too give new unit standerd & musitian. then you mayaswell get a great weapon for reist with the points left, it might come in handy, and if not, you dont have too use it.

heinrichvoncarstein
13-01-2008, 14:30
Ditch the general's pegasus and give him holy relic, full plate, warhorse, shield and the sword that gives him 2+ in str. Get some rank and file troops and drop 10 knights. Get the warrior priest on foot with armour of meteoric iron and a great weapon.

kdh88
20-01-2008, 02:33
i would take 3 knight from each unit, and make them into a unit of 6 and add the preist. then drop the chapions frm the two units too give new unit standerd & musitian. then you mayaswell get a great weapon for reist with the points left, it might come in handy, and if not, you dont have too use it.

Seconded. Paying for a second rank of cavalry is almost never worthwhile, with the exception of armies that rhyme with "Estonia". Why pay for 20 knights and only get 10 attacks when you could pay the same price and get all of them?